• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Does anyone remember if the omnibus for Remenders Uncanny X-Force was ever up for preorder on dcbservice? I could have sworn I saw it on there before. Was going to order the Wolvie one and thought I'd pick that up too.

yes it was already in a previous pre-order cycle, a couple months ago now. I'll be picking it up on IST's presuming it's 50% off there the first week like they are still doing.

tim1138

It's involvement in the Lights Out crossover was fairly minimal. You could pull it from issue #21 without any worries, imo.

Wasn't that story one of the ones adapted for the Green Lantern: Emerald Knights DVD?

Does Guy have that sweet stache yet?

And yeah it was on Emerald Knights and was even a decent adaptation, but personally I prefer the original. Plus that Alan Moore collection has some other great GL stuff in it, like the story about Rot Lop Fan and the F Sharp Bell.

LIST:

ALL-NEW INVADERS #1

ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #2

BATMAN #27

BLACK WIDOW #2

DEADLY CLASS #1

HAWKEYE #16

MARVEL KNIGHTS: X-MEN #3

SAMURAI JACK #4

UMBRAL #3

ZERO #5

If i can find Harley Quinn #1 & #2 i'll get em.

Does Guy have that sweet stache yet?

Green Lanterns/Red Lanterns #28

RL%2028%20-%20Color%20-%20Pg%2007_52d045395a5d48.90266043.jpeg

The next few issues promise to be great. I cant wait to see how a Red Lantern Supergirl is going to fit into the dynamic. It sounds absolutely random on paper but this run has been taking chances so I'm ready to go for a ride and see how it unfolds.

I heard about Supergirl becoming a red lantern so I thought I might turn my attention to her solo series but it didn't look very good from the preview.

I'm glad you two started this conversation, it reminded I wanted to start pulling RL again now that the crossover is done.

Mogo is the best Lantern. You should track down the collection DC put out of Alan Moore stories to read "Mogo doesn't socialize", it's fantastic.

From #21 it's such a fun read. I only noticed one Lights Out issue and it's worked in pretty organically.

I'll look into that collection, thanks.

Green Lanterns/Red Lanterns #28

RL%2028%20-%20Color%20-%20Pg%2007_52d045395a5d48.90266043.jpeg

Just when you don't think Guy Gardner can get more awesome.

Is it today we'll get to find out what's going on with Nightwing/who the new creator team(s) will be? I don't know if I'm excited or not. I'm happy for Higgins to be moving on, but nervous about what they're going to do with the character. I don't think he needs to be Nightwing, Dick as Batman showed that he's a strong complete character that stands alone, regardless of costume, but I just hope nothing too gimmicky is in the works.

I heard about Supergirl becoming a red lantern so I thought I might turn my attention to her solo series but it didn't look very good from the preview.

Supergirl has occasional moments of brilliance. I might actually recommend issues #19-24. It's two small arcs, one dealing with Supergirl/Powergirl and the other is Supergirl /Cyborg Superman. They are written by Michael Nelson who really seemed to get the character. Those issues alone might go a long way to explaining just why Kara has so much anger.

Spoilers in case you just want to know without reading:

Supergirl/Power Girl #19-20:
Kara basically gets to meet a version of herself that she sees as being, essentially, a better version. They actually get along fairly well and it's an interesting take on the concept of "meeting oneself". Plus, it has hilarious AI gone wrong.

Supergirl/Cyborg Superman #21-24:
Kara leaves Earth for a time to try and "find herself". She encounters a world that is able to recreate copies of anything and, having records of Krypton, does so for her. When attempts to get her to stay on this world fail she is attacked by Cyborg Superman who requires her genetic material to recreate his full body (having offered her a place in this perfect hologram world as compensation). Succeeding in digitizing her, he is able to recreate his form, only to realize he is actually Kara's Father, horrified by what he has done. In the end he sacrifices himself so that she can be brought back (without her knowing it was him), losing his memories again in the process.

So in Avengers #24 Thor says
"Bring forth the pies!"
. That made my day.

Spoilered it so people who haven't read the issue can have a laugh without knowing it's going to happen beforehand.

Supergirl stuff and things.

Thanks for all that. I read issue 19 and it was ok. I will probably start reading Supergirl when she becomes a red lantern because I love them, apparently.

What other lantern titles are good now? New Guardians, right?

Edit: I've read Larfleeze #1. I liked it and it made me laugh a couple times. But I wasn't interested enough to continue.

Whatever happens, I think the character Nightwing is done as we know it. No way they can bring that name back.

I definitely think they'd be willing to try out whatever it is they're doing until the end of Batman Eternal but unless whatever they do is astronomically popular (Dick replacing Calvin Rose as the *good* talon of the DCU and suddenly selling truck tons of books as a result) I'm certain they won't be able to resist bringing him back as Nightwing down the line.

Thanks for all that. I read issue 19 and it was ok. I will probably start reading Supergirl when she becomes a red lantern because I love them, apparently.

What other lantern titles are good now? New Guardians, right?

Edit: I read Larfleeze #1. I liked it and it made me laugh a couple times. But I wasn't interested enough to continue.

Yeah I fell off Larfleeze too. He is good for a miniseries, I think, or as an antagonist but he can't really sustain an ongoing title.

As to what Lantern titles are "good" is entirely subjective. I personally like all of them, though my order of "enjoyment" is probably Red Lanterns->New Guardians->Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps (if you read them it should be as a duo).

New Guardians has been much more "Sci Fi-y" than the other titles, currently, using the "death" of Kyle Raynor as a reason to send him off on his own with Star Sapphire Carol Ferris and the Templar Guardians as backup to play off of, though I suppose that is a little unfair to Carol. She is almost the real second half of the title, if the run continues as it has, it'll be as much her run as Kyle's.

Green Lantern / Green Lantern Corp is focusing on the Lanterns attempting to rebuild and repurpose after the events of Light's Out. If you like Mogo, it's a bit of a treat,
they set up their new base on Mogo
Green Lantern is about Hal Jordan wanting to reign in the other ring slingers, while Green Lantern Corp has seen the Durlans, a race of shapeshifters, working in secret to discredit and bring down the Corp. Again, there is a lot of crossover between the two.

I definitely think they'd be willing to try out whatever it is they're doing until the end of Batman Eternal but unless whatever they do is astronomically popular (Dick replacing Calvin Rose as the *good* talon of the DCU and suddenly selling truck tons of books as a result) I'm certain they won't be able to resist bringing him back as Nightwing down the line.

Give me a scenario in which Dick Grayson aka Nightwing, would be able to come back with the whole world now knowing who he is?

Give me a scenario in which Dick Grayson aka Nightwing, would be able to come back with the whole world now knowing who he is?

What haha? You think DC don't already have ten different ways they've thought up to sort that? I can think of all sorts of stuff, it's comix man. If they want to, they'll find a way. I wouldn't consider the circumstances of him being unmasked any sort of barrier to him coming back as Nightwing. I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if, within a year and a half (end of eternal, plus big storyline about it), they have him back to the exact same old status quo. After OMD, I don't believe either MArvel or DC would be stopped by stuff as trivial as prior storylines haha. They'll just retcon retcon retcon, or claim what was shown on camera and not in person to the public was false.

Have any of you guys gotten a book graded before? I'm thinking about but just wondering if it's a worthwhile thing to do.

Depends on how rare / expensive the book is. Most of the time for a normal title it's not going to be worth it outside of sentimental value. But if it's got a decent price behind it, sure, it's not a bad idea.

tim1138

From #21 it's such a fun read. I only noticed one Lights Out issue and it's worked in pretty organically.

I'll look into that collection, thanks.

I have no idea how you feel about Alan Moore as a person, but he did some good stuff when he worked for DC. I want to say that collection is called DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore. Aside from "Mogo Doesn't Socialize", it has two other GL stories: "Tygers" (which influenced some of Geoff John's run) and "In Blackest Night" (which has a cool twist I won't spoil). Other notable stories in it are "For the Man Who Has Everything", "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow", and "the Killing Joke."

Yeah I fell off Larfleeze too. He is good for a miniseries, I think, or as an antagonist but he can't really sustain an ongoing title.

As to what Lantern titles are "good" is entirely subjective. I personally like all of them, though my order of "enjoyment" is probably Red Lanterns->New Guardians->Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps (if you read them it should be as a duo).

New Guardians has been much more "Sci Fi-y" than the other titles, currently, using the "death" of Kyle Raynor as a reason to send him off on his own with Star Sapphire Carol Ferris and the Templar Guardians as backup to play off of, though I suppose that is a little unfair to Carol. She is almost the real second half of the title, if the run continues as it has, it'll be as much her run as Kyle's.

Green Lantern / Green Lantern Corp is focusing on the Lanterns attempting to rebuild and repurpose after the events of Light's Out. If you like Mogo, it's a bit of a treat,
they set up their new base on Mogo
Green Lantern is about Hal Jordan wanting to reign in the other ring slingers, while Green Lantern Corp has seen the Durlans, a race of shapeshifters, working in secret to discredit and bring down the Corp. Again, there is a lot of crossover between the two.

I guess by "good" I mean well written. What I like about Red Lanterns is it's balanced writing and tone. It's dramatic and action packed but with frequent comedic moments. I enjoy the characters and team dynamics. The art fits. And I like that is all outer-space-y and features all kinds of neat species. The link between the powers and colours and specific emotions is really interesting, as well.

I think I'll give issue 21 of all the lanterns books a look.

I remember reading something on here a while ago about a Netflix type digital service wherein you'd pay a monthly cost for access to a ton of back titles. Is this real or did I imagine it?

Owzers

I remember reading something on here a while ago about a Netflix type digital service wherein you'd pay a monthly cost for access to a ton of back titles. Is this real or did I imagine it?

Real for Marvel only, it's called Marvel Unlimited. Annual Subscriptions go on sale a couple times a year. If you have an ipad it's great, the app doesn't run well on android right now.

it was ok until 25 (Lobdell) , now I don't even know if it has a main writer or if its fill in stuff til they get one..

I see Tony Bedard is writing Supergirl #29. Seems there will be a crossover between Supergirl and Red Lanterns in March called Red Daughter of Krypton. I'm looking forward to this
:(

Acid08

Banned
I read Supergirl up until the end of that Power Girl storyline and that book was almost totally generic. Decent stuff here and there but mostly zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I read Supergirl up until the end of that Power Girl storyline and that book was almost totally generic. Decent stuff here and there but mostly zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Yeah, it's too bad. I want to like one of these DC female heroes again but I just can't get into any of them. From the sounds of it, Wonder Woman is the only one written well and I've just never been the least bit interested in that character.

And continuing with Bizzaro Maquinon, I didn't like Velvet #3. I just didn't fucking like it. The narration was dry and just slows everything down. Arm candy this, seductress that. And Velvet talking about some bad guy "balling a whore" and who would ever say that? And then she's all, "don't look at me like I'm still young and attractive" just retch, barf, spew.

What is the point of doing this if they're not going to stick to the story? It doesn't look like this'll have any of the cool stuff that was in the book. No art gallery, no Damian being an arse in wayne manor, no fighting Tim. And Deathstroke? And Talia getting taken out like a weak girl? wtf?

It does say a DC Original Movie and only inspired by Batman and Son. I for one welcome Deathstroke to the cast.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What is the point of doing this if they're not going to stick to the story? It doesn't look like this'll have any of the cool stuff that was in the book. No art gallery, no Damian being an arse in wayne manor, no fighting Tim. And Deathstroke? And Talia getting taken out like a weak girl? wtf?

Jesus, that trailer really does make it look like a complete mess. Also, I always imagined Damian to be British and a not squeaky-voiced.

Took a few months, but finally completed this.
Issue 2-7 were the hardest to find first printings for.

Very nice. Ebay or LCS?

My personal latest WHY DID YOU BUY THAT??? was Action Comics #858-863, the Superman and the Legion of Superheroes Geoff Johns run. I already have the trade. But I just couldn't resist filling it out in single floppies as well. I just love it so much.

Legion Archive #8 continues to be my insane quest. A copy up on ebay, used, with handwriting on the inside cover is already at $42 with a day+ left to go. It'll go much, much higher, and it's so dumb that such is the case.

Very nice. Ebay or LCS?

My personal latest WHY DID YOU BUY THAT??? was Action Comics #858-863, the Superman and the Legion of Superheroes Geoff Johns run. I already have the trade. But I just couldn't resist filling it out in single floppies as well. I just love it so much.

Legion Archive #8 continues to be my insane quest. A copy up on ebay, used, with handwriting on the inside cover is already at $42 with a day+ left to go. It'll go much, much higher, and it's so dumb that such is the case.

LCS called me up today and told me someone sold their entire collection and the back issues I needed (5-11) were in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom