• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Out of interest, did
Bucky
show up again after
issue 9?
. I always thought he was going to have a larger role to play, but Spencer's about done.

EDIT: Just spotted your question there Tim. First week of march on Amazon man. It might make it to actual comic stores a week or so earlier.

Dan said:
It was solicited for February 19th. Amazon has it on March 4th.

Thanks guys!

And Filthy Slug I asked Kot on Twitter and Wild Children is sold out and he didn't know when the next print would be.

Omega

Banned
Holy shit dude, I'm in the exact same situation. My package has been in WARRENDALE, PA 15095 since January 17th. When is you expected delivery date? Mine technically isn't until tomorrow, so there's no point in contacting them yet as it could just be a delay on USPS's part.

But like I mentioned a few days ago, I've had the absolute worse experience with the postal service recently and it wouldn't surprise me if this is another loss. My biggest worry if that's the case though is that DCBS doesn't seem to have insurance, and both of my orders through them have been some of my most expensive ones.

Mine should be here by tomorrow as well. It shipped on the 14th and said 2-9 days

but I can't imagine it'll meet that date. that stuff has just been sitting in Warrendale PA for a week now

It didn't come out this week but I'd recommend Justice League 3000. It's on it's second issue, but it's been a fun read!
Yep. The story of Howard Porter is incredible. By sheer will his putting out the best work of his career. He is absolutely a better fit than McGuire.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Thanks guys!

And Filthy Slug I asked Kot on Twitter and Wild Children is sold out and he didn't know when the next print would be.

Ah, thanks for asking, brotha. I guess I'll go with the used copies on Amazon--they amount to the same price as what the new ones were selling for. :(

Parch

Did anybody read Empire of the Dead? Wondering if I should go back and pick it up.
I was curious about this one too, although I'm pretty much done with anything vampire but still on the zombie bandwagon.

An Archie book? Really? Archie vs Zombies? I have a hard time getting past previous prejudices.

Did anyone else read Batwoman 27? Those page spreads, WOW! I should have figured I'd be in for a treat since Manapul helped with interiors this week.

Yeah it was great, really reminded me of the earlier issues with the beautiful spreads, I felt the issue was too short though.

For the later time zone guys, I posed a question about marvel's omnibus release schedule this morn, no-one answered. I'm looking at the hickman FF omnibus but I'd rather get it when volume 2 is in sight. Anyone got any idea what kind of schedule I'm looking at here?

tim1138

Tim you are always talking to Ales on twitter. You're smitten.

Haha, yeah probably.
Honestly though, as a comics fan twitter is amazing. I've also talked to JM DeMatteis, Chris Burnham, and Andrea Sorrentino quite a bit. Heck, I've even gotten a DM from Geoff Johns. It's just a super easy way to talk to creators, I love it.

Haha, yeah probably.
Honestly though, as a comics fan twitter is amazing. I've also talked to JM DeMatteis, Chris Burnham, and Andrea Sorrentino quite a bit. Heck, I've even gotten a DM from Geoff Johns. It's just a super easy way to talk to creators, I love it.

Definitely. I've had a lot of convos with a lot of great guys. Matthew Southworth of Stumptown fame is really cool, Josh Dysart is really great, I even had Scott Snyder DM me once for saying something nice about Batman, and not even to him, just in general haha, and had some nice back and forth, including him mentioning Superman Unchained before it was official. I can't imagine any other hobby or thing where the creators are so involved with the fans on such an open personal level. It's really great.

MartyStu

Oh man I read the first issue of that and hated it, couldn't even finish it. It was way too 'loud' for me, everything felt exclamatory and all the twists on the characters were super obvious "oh they're kinda the opposite" takes. Pretty art though.

They are not really opposites though. All the little insecurities and warts that exist in the 'originals' are just blown up.

arkon

For the later time zone guys, I posed a question about marvel's omnibus release schedule this morn, no-one answered. I'm looking at the hickman FF omnibus but I'd rather get it when volume 2 is in sight. Anyone got any idea what kind of schedule I'm looking at here?

I just went back and had a look at 2013 solicits. The Hickman omnibus was mentioned in the July 2013 ones and was out by the end of the year. Might be the same this year if they're releasing volume 2 a year later. That said I'm not sure what the timescales are like between volumes in their omnibus releases. They'll probably try and get it out in time for the new FF movie. My guess is late 2014 or early 2015 for it. Keep your eyes peeled on those solicitations!

Owzers

I put all my unread marvel comics in a picnic basket by series and started reading from the top. I got all the way through my Thor issues after reading GOTG 8 and 9. Thor's new dark elf arc has been okay, i still feel like the God Butcher run was a little too good to move on to another unspeakable enemy, but at least this enemy is more cunning than invincible.

GotG 8 and 9 were decent but forgettable as Infinity tie-ins.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah it was great, really reminded me of the earlier issues with the beautiful spreads, I felt the issue was too short though.

Yeah I read it as a jumping back on issue and the art was great but not much happened in the story at all. All the stuff in the dream sequence I already knew, and I've not read the book for a year now. Willing to give Andreyko the doubt maybe, loved his run on Manhunter.

Any specific runs?

I see Geoff Johns has Flash: Blood Will Run, Rebirth, Blitz, Crossfire, Dastardly Death of the Rogues, Ignition, and so on. Then I see an Omnibus that looks good but I don't know if I'll like Flash enough to justify dropping $70 for it.

Mark Waid has Return of Barry Allen, Born to Run, Terminal Velocity, and so on.

oh sorry, I'm not sure which stories to pick. I read it all on singles and meant the whole thing. Trying to find a list now. That's a lot of comics though. I guess if you want Rogues stuff go with something from Geoff Johns. I'm not sure who I liked more though.

I put all my unread marvel comics in a picnic basket by series and started reading from the top. I got all the way through my Thor issues after reading GOTG 8 and 9. Thor's new dark elf arc has been okay, i still feel like the God Butcher run was a little too good to move on to another unspeakable enemy, but at least this enemy is more cunning than invincible.

It really just felt like Marvel made Aaron write a Malekith story because of the movie. Its not a bad story but it pales in comparison to the God Bomb Arc.

I really wish there was some more fallout from that arc ala captain america. Both books had our heroes stuck fighting the impossible and both seemed to be deeply affected by it. But Cap was the only book to really capitalize on this. Thor just teamed up with some forgettables to travel to colorful lands and make mistakes.

It really just felt like Marvel made Aaron write a Malekith story because of the movie. Its not a bad story but it pales in comparison to the God Bomb Arc.
That's exactly why. I like in the Mazing interview Slott said Marvel isn't making him do an Electro story when it relaunches, he just wants to. Yep thats it.

I may be bias but this was not necessary. Chalking this one up to a slow news day.

I think Sims has a point. Slade's inclusion in Arrow and Arkham Origins was okay, and he's great in Injustice, but Batman & Son is an inclusion too far IMO. I'm still going to watch it, but I would've liked if they'd stuck to the comic as much as they usually do.

Owzers

I really wish there was some more fallout from that arc ala captain america. Both books had our heroes stuck fighting the impossible and both seemed to be deeply affected by it. But Cap was the only book to really capitalize on this. Thor just teamed up with some forgettables to travel to colorful lands and make mistakes.

Oh so that dude is from the movie? I thought there was some connection to something i wasn't getting and i haven't seen the new thor movie yet, but that makes a lot more sense. I kind of feel like i'm done with Thor now that the God Bomb stuff was over, especially since it pulled the " and all the thors
have their memories wiped of the events"
stuff. Aaron's Thor might have been just a really good 11 issue mini that deserves an OHC.

Oh so that dude is from the movie? I thought there was some connection to something i wasn't getting and i haven't seen the new thor movie yet, but that makes a lot more sense. I kind of feel like i'm done with Thor now that the God Bomb stuff was over, especially since it pulled the " and all the thors
have their memories wiped of the events"
stuff. Aaron's Thor might have been just a really good 11 issue mini that deserves an OHC.

Esid Ribic is coming back with more Viking/Old King Thor adventures...

Chris sims: stop trying to make deathstroke happen

i think he is over resting a bit, at least its not joker being whored out. and they are trying to get new villains some fame outside of lex and joker. but his appearance in Batman and son is just weird. especially with what happens later in morrisons run
I am not Chris Sims... but some days I think I might be.

Two days ago I was wondering why Deathstroke was being shoehorned into the Batman and Son DTV, which naturally led to wondering why he's shoehorned into everything DC these days.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I think Sims has a point. Slade's inclusion in Arrow and Arkham Origins was okay, and he's great in Injustice, but Batman & Son is an inclusion too far IMO. I'm still going to watch it, but I would've liked if they'd stuck to the comic as much as they usually do.

I fully agree. It does feel like Deathstroke is just being forced into every major DC venue nowadays but it hasn't been annoying or egregious until the Batman and Son animated movie. What the shit is Slade doing in a movie about a fucking family being torn apart. What purpose does he fucking serve in furthering Damian's story, unless they use him as the villain Damian comes close to killing only to have Bruce pull him from that edge.

Slade ruled in Teen Titans, by the way.

Why is no one making a big deal about Shazam being a founding member of the Justice League instead of Aquaman in the new Justice League War movie?

It's something they do with these movies.

tim1138

Why is no one making a big deal about Shazam being a founding member of the Justice League instead of Aquaman in the new Justice League War movie?

Probably because outside of me and ReiGun no one cares about Aquaman (just playing devil's advocate).

THE YEAR OF REMENDER ROLLS ON

UNCAVEN2012016-DC11-LR-bf12d.jpg
UNCAVEN2012016-int-LR2-1-99bc5.jpg

UNCAVEN2012016-int-LR2-2-18605.jpg
UNCAVEN2012016-int-LR2-3-e1ae3.jpg

UNCAVEN2012016-int-LR2-4-cc52c.jpg
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF- :O :O :O

I was pretty peeved about that, but it's a Geoff Johns paint-by-numbers origin story that was probably planned by Johns himself as the basis for a live-action movie. It simply doesn't matter to me as much as the first story in Morrison's arc and the introduction of Damian who I love as a character (although I imagined him speaking with a more "proper" accent).

Plus, they seem to be setting up Throne of Atlantis in the post-credits scene according to people that've seen it

I was pretty peeved about that, but it's a Geoff Johns paint-by-numbers origin story that was probably planned by Johns himself as the basis for a live-action movie. It simply doesn't matter to me as much as the first story in Morrison's arc and the introduction of Damian who I love as a character (although I imagined him speaking with a more "proper" accent).

Plus, they seem to be setting up Throne of Atlantis in the post-credits scene according to people that've seen it

Then by that logic, shouldn't we judge the movie when we actually see it? What if Deathstroke makes it a more interesting story?

Then by that logic, shouldn't we judge the movie when we actually see it? What if Deathstroke makes it a more interesting story?

We should, but has that ever stopped any of us judging a comic on a preview, or a movie on a trailer before?

thisisneogafdude.gif

W1cTK.gif

I'm not saying it won't be good, I have learned that I'm often wrong about DC animated movies (I thought Flashpoint would be bad, it's now one of my favourites), I'm saying I don't approve of the changes.

They could put the Avengers Academy students in Ultimate Spider-Man (heck, there was a Hazmat reference in an episode of Avengers Assemble I saw yesterday) and I would enjoy that, it wouldn't make USM a good show automatically.

We should, but has that ever stopped any of us judging a comic on a preview, or a movie on a trailer before?

thisisneogafdude.gif

W1cTK.gif

I'm not saying it won't be good, I have learned that I'm often wrong about DC animated movies (I thought Flashpoint would be bad, it's now one of my favourites), I'm saying I don't approve of the changes.

They could put the Avengers Academy students in Ultimate Spider-Man (heck, there was a Hazmat reference in an episode of Avengers Assemble I saw yesterday) and I would enjoy that, it wouldn't make USM a good show automatically.

I just think the opinion piece linked creates prejudice before prejudice is warranted. I would agree if DS has been ruining stories but so far, most people would say the opposite.

DagsJT

Zero was alright, didn't enjoy the art style much. The Private Eye was excellent though and I really liked the art style.

I would if it wasn't for the after credits scene in JLW:
Throne of Atlantis is as Aquaman centered as you can get.

I just went back and had a look at 2013 solicits. The Hickman omnibus was mentioned in the July 2013 ones and was out by the end of the year. Might be the same this year if they're releasing volume 2 a year later. That said I'm not sure what the timescales are like between volumes in their omnibus releases. They'll probably try and get it out in time for the new FF movie. My guess is late 2014 or early 2015 for it. Keep your eyes peeled on those solicitations!

Thanks for that. You simultaneously helped and made me feel lazy haha, I guess I could have did that, didn't think. Cheers!

That's me finished up volume 4 of Secret Warriors within the omnibus now. I'm not sure what to say, bar that I love it. I love Nicky Fury, I think Hickman nails him and what he's all about. That last arc was really powerful, they do a really good job of making you care about the howling commandos, even if you've never read anything with any of them in it before. A lot of what's so good about Fury and his guys is they just do what's right, and make no bones about it. I guess I wish there was more screen time for the caterpillar teams but at the same time, I wouldn't want less of this. The caterpillars just isn't what the series is about, not really. Fury, Hydra, Leviathan, all of it brilliant. I thought Hickman wrote a mean Osbourne too. Just great. I'm sure when I'm done the whole thing my thoughts will be less jumbled, but that's it for now.

I was curious about this one too, although I'm pretty much done with anything vampire but still on the zombie bandwagon.

An Archie book? Really? Archie vs Zombies? I have a hard time getting past previous prejudices.

I picked up Empire of the Dead. I'll give impressions when I read it- tonight, hopefully.

The Archie zombie book works really well, if you don't mind the rules of zombies being bent in a big way. It's not a traditional Archie book, of course. It's someone playing in the Riverdale sandbox.

arkon

Thanks for that. You simultaneously helped and made me feel lazy haha, I guess I could have did that, didn't think. Cheers!

Well, to be honest, it's partly because I've been keeping an eye out for it. Your post just gave me an excuse to have a quick look at some of the usual sources (MarvelMasterworks forums, CBR omnibus threads) to see if there was any new information on it. I've been waiting to try out his run for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom