• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone read Deathstroke's N52 series? I remember reading two issues but it was just kinda shit so i stopped. another unmemorable kyle higgins thing, too. Justin Jordan wrote a pretty good issue that i read but the art was weak. and in between that, Liefeld had a run. lol.

ReiGun

Chris sims: stop trying to make deathstroke happen

i think he is over resting a bit, at least its not joker being whored out. and they are trying to get new villains some fame outside of lex and joker. but his appearance in Batman and son is just weird. especially with what happens later in morrisons run

I do think that Batman and Son was a step too far, but I don't think he's been all that out of place in the other media they've had him in. Teen Titans and Young Justice makes sense because DS has always been a villain for DC's teen superheroes; his appearance in Arkham Origins meshes with the plot of that game (though I haven't played it so I don't know how that's executed); Arrow may be the only other case where Slade wasn't needed, but the show isn't worse for it and his character until very recently was a far dry from the ultra unstoppable badass that Sims is painting him as here (much like the show itself has evolved beyond just "Batman with a bow, but that's neither here nor there).

In general, I don't agree with the cries of "DC should stop trying to make so and so happen." It's just bizarre to me. We complain that they push nothing but Batman and Superman, but then we also complain when they revamp and push characters like DS, Aquaman, Vibe, or Star Girl and tell them not to bother. Seems like they can't win here. Unless everyone really just means "only push my secret fan favorite character that no one but me cares about and not those other secret fan favorites no one cares about." Which is probably it.

Did anyone read Deathstroke's N52 series? I remember reading two issues but it was just kinda shit so i stopped.

I think I might have gotten to issue three or four. But yeah, I dropped that shit like a bad habit. The book seemed to endure for a while though, regardless of quality.

When I was doing my March order I saw that DC collectibles is adding to their DC Nation "line" with Deadman and crow. I really wish we get Animal Man or Amethyst merchandise. Though I am blessed just to have my SBFF girls.

Did anyone read Deathstroke's N52 series? I remember reading two issues but it was just kinda shit so i stopped. another unmemorable kyle higgins thing, too. Justin Jordan wrote a pretty good issue that i read but the art was weak. and in between that, Liefeld had a run. lol.

I read it, had a few cool issues but was mostly mediocre. Best use of DS that I have read was on Johns Teen Titan run.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It was glorious seeing all the CBR X-Books weirdos and X-Men fanboys flip out over that.

When that was going on, I made the mistake of trying to explain the flap to some non-comic book fans at a party. My special lady gave me the stinkeye and told me not to bring up "Batman stuff" to people.

headshot95

Neo Member
So does Marvel only do trades in hardcover? I'm looking to get into stuff like Uncanny Avengers, Captain America and Thor but it seems they only have hardcovers on both amazon and instocktrades. Will softcover versions be coming out later? Or are the hardcovers worth it?

arkon

So does Marvel only do trades in hardcover? I'm looking to get into stuff like Uncanny Avengers, Captain America and Thor but it seems they only have hardcovers on both amazon and instocktrades. Will softcover versions be coming out later? Or are the hardcovers worth it?

Softcovers normally come out later, especially if a series is going the hardcover route. Some series are only ever available in softcover versions anyway.

edit: I've not used instocktrades but amazon should have them. They might have the main listing as hardcover but check under "Other Formats" for the paperbacks. Some of them might not be out yet. I had a look at Uncanny Avengers paperback volume 1 and Amazon as that down for March 2014

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read through:

Batman 27--Pretty much my definition of a perfect Batman comic. Zero Year has been fantastic from the start, but Gordon and Bruce's ties finally coming together was done so fucking well, and I loved the nods to Frank Miller's Batman work. Snyder is putting his heart into this Batman story and it's all working out so damn well. Also, finally, a standard 3.99 Batman book after a few months.

Zero 5--Solid story climaxing in a mindfuck. This comic just got wild as hell, and I'm ready for the next issue. I really enjoy the almost concentric circle style writing Kot is delivering. Each issue jumps around in time but you've got solid time periods with stories that you're following, and each issue is building on one of those, creating a story that is just getting bigger and better.

Sad stuff: This Fat Man on Batman podcast with Kevin Smith and Marc Tyler Nobleman about Bill Finger is heartbreaking but really fascinating. I know that great ComicsAlliance article on Bob Kane being a piece of fucking horseshit made its rounds and I think this podcast is a great indirect follow-up to that, focusing more on how much of the Batman mythos (almost all of the important/timeless/cornerstone bits and characters) Bill Finger created with absolutely no credit attributed. (Skip like a half hour in for the interview)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

It was all over the place. I lasted to #5 I think.

Lombaszko

Just read through:

Batman 27--Pretty much my definition of a perfect Batman comic. Zero Year has been fantastic from the start, but Gordon and Bruce's ties finally coming together was done so fucking well, and I loved the nods to Frank Miller's Batman work. Snyder is putting his heart into this Batman story and it's all working out so damn well. Also, finally, a standard 3.99 Batman book after a few months.
Great points. I didn't even notice the lack of a backup story the past few months. Plus, Capullo and the art team are killing it! I'm so absorbed in their version of Gotham. It feels so distinctive, more than any other bat-book.

I got caught up on Umbral, the only reason I picked this up was to branch out to other genres. It's pretty good but I don't think I'll stay on pass the first arc, unless it wows me by the end.

Everybody hyping Zero is making the wait for my DCBS package unbearable.

Cheska

Just read through:

Hell yeah! It was pretty moving, and I'm so glad we got more background information about that incident with Gordon.

Also, is it just me or did more books this week get a huge color upgrade? I swear, everything I read felt like I took LCD and snorted up some skittles.

Damn.

Loved Harley Quinn #2 specifically how Amanda just said Pam/Harley still best buds.

Also BW#2 was great. Isaiah is awesome.

And of course Deadly Class was godlike.

Ugh, STAY AWAY FROM Empire of the Dead. I was sorely disappointed. The dialogue is stilted and weird the characters don't feel real at all. It was one of those times I get halfway through a comic and wonder, can I just put this down?

Then again, if you haven't see Romaro's zombie movies then his this riff on zombies might interest you. In that case, please, watch his wonderful early zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead). They are amazing and beautifully flawed. But I highly unrecommend this comic.

frye

Deadly Class rocked Black Science.

someone complained about it a while back but i actuallyi liked how reagan basically fucked this kid thrice over:
in nicaragua with his foreign policy, and twice in the states with the funding-cutoffs to mental health + inadequate support for the homeless.
it's a bit ~teenage-fuck-you~ but in a good way (versus in a bad way like black science) so i'm diggggging itttt

only major complaint is how wes craig does those diagonal panels which makes for a GREAT first one, but always fucks up my flow because i don't do a typewriter-style reset when i get to the end like i would on a grid, but whatever

Ugh, STAY AWAY FROM Empire of the Dead. I was sorely disappointed. The dialogue is stilted and weird the characters don't feel real at all. It was one of those times I get halfway through a comic and wonder, can I just put this down?

Then again, if you haven't see Romaro's zombie movies then his this riff on zombies might interest you. In that case, please, watch his wonderful early zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead). They are amazing and beautifully flawed. But I highly unrecommend this comic.

Thanks, I wasn't really expecting it to be good and you saved me 4 bucks.

Also, Black Widow continues to impress me, Noto's Natalia is perfection.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I got caught up on Umbral, the only reason I picked this up was to branch out to other genres. It's pretty good but I don't think I'll stay on pass the first arc, unless it wows me by the end.

Everybody hyping Zero is making the wait for my DCBS package unbearable.

Im dropping Umbral and now giving The Wake a try.

Hey Rafa, you keep on raving about FBPs colors, where is the Batman ZY love?

Bet4g5WCYAEvcdD.jpg

FCO is killing it.

That entire story arc, from writing to pencils to ink to colors, is just aces. It's probably the best thing DC is currently putting out.

Yeah, I just read 27 and I can safely say that this week has churned out 2/3 of my top comics of the month with Batman and Deadly Class.

headshot95

Neo Member
Softcovers normally come out later, especially if a series is going the hardcover route. Some series are only ever available in softcover versions anyway.

edit: I've not used instocktrades but amazon should have them. They might have the main listing as hardcover but check under "Other Formats" for the paperbacks. Some of them might not be out yet. I had a look at Uncanny Avengers paperback volume 1 and Amazon as that down for March 2014

Thanks. Are these marvel hardcovers worth it? They just seem a little on the shorter side to justify hardcovers but if I would be waiting an extra 10 months or so for softcover it might be better just to go hardcover.

Aizo

Banned
Would someone please recommend some of your favorite self-contained comics?
Examples: Ultimate Marvel series, Scott Pilgrim, Chew, Saga, Fatale, and many big franchise spin-offs.

When I try to get back into something like X-Men, I have to go back and read something to understand the current events. But, to understand the previous one, I also have to read a certain story arc in another one. This is just a bit too overwhelming for me to buy or borrow to read.

I suppose I'm mostly looking for self-contained series from big franchises, but any recommendations for smaller series I may not know are also greatly appreciated. Maybe I should just start reading Image exclusively. I think I would be happy.

Examples: Ultimate Marvel series, Scott Pilgrim, Chew, Saga, Fatale, and many big franchise spin-offs.

When I try to get back into something like X-Men, I have to go back and read something to understand the current events. But, to understand the previous one, I also have to read a certain story arc in another one. This is just a bit too overwhelming for me to buy or borrow to read.

I suppose I'm mostly looking for self-contained series from big franchises, but any recommendations for smaller series I may not know are also greatly appreciated. Maybe I should just start reading Image exclusively. I think I would be happy.

Batman Zero year 21 - 28 is my pick.

Vyer

Just finished Batman 27and man, I'm enjoying ZY quite a bit. This may be topping Snyder's Owls storyline for me.

I know some folks aren't happy with the focus on Kate now in Hawkeye, but I dug this story. I love the facial expressions in Wu's art.

JLA (and Forever Evil) continues to be fun. I thought Cyborg's
redesign and the reasons for it were solid
. And of all the Crime Syndicate, I'm pretty sure Atomica is the most fucked up.

I've only read the first three issues of Zero, so I need to catch up to this week, but the praise is well deserved.

#1's are your friends. If a writer does his job right, you don't have to read anything previous to understand what's going on at the start of a series. There are also other options like the Marvel Knights (2013) line. These are self-contained stories from newcomers that are only about 5 issues. They been really good so far, Spider-Man and X-Men in particular have incredible art.
ZvcVRAh.jpg

Messi

Damn.

Loved Harley Quinn #2 specifically how Amanda just said Pam/Harley still best buds.

Also BW#2 was great. Isaiah is awesome.

And of course Deadly Class was godlike.

Glad I am not the only one who loved Harley thus month. I love the art, I love the dialog and I love how expressive they have made harley. Does not hurt that Poison ivy was in this issue. Harley/Ivy bffs forever!

Oh and thus is another really colourful book
the garden ivy made for Harley looked amazing.

It's one of the few books I read at the moment that has a really upbeat vibe and it makes me smile :)

Edit: Oh and Hawkgal was awesome this month as per usual

I was having a look around at what else Alessandro Vitti has worked on, really enjoyed his work in the Secret Warriors omnibus. I spotted that he did some Avengers Arena issues...what are peoples' thoughts on that book?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I was having a look around at what else Alessandro Vitti has worked on, really enjoyed his work in the Secret Warriors omnibus. I spotted that he did some Avengers Arena issues...what are peoples' thoughts on that book?

Underrated book. I love that the series is about developing these minor characters instead of focusing on the violence.

Cammi is the best.

He's been doing Red Lanterns since the creative team switch. I remember because i flipped through #21 when that came out and put it back because i didn't like the art

Avengers Arena turned out to secretly be the best book of 2013. It's LOST with only the good parts, plus super powers.

I'd recommend the best mini series of 2013, Six Gun Gorilla. It's 6 issues, self-contained and glorious.

Also since you seem to enjoy humour in your comics, I'd suggest you check out Rat Queens. It's Image/Shadowline, 4 issues in, hilarious and fun.

Oh man, Red Lanterns is so great! From issue 21 it's been Charles Soule and Vitti and they are doing great things with the series. The trade featuring their first issues will be dropping soon, if I recall.

FWIW, I read the 21st issue of the other Lantern books to check out their new creative teams. They seem fine, but none of them grabbed me like Red Lanterns.

Mindwipe

I take it you've already done Joss Wheldon's run on X-men?

It's four trades, and basically self contained. And good.

Also, Mind MGMT's first trade is a complete arc, and that's great. All Star Superman is two trades and set in it's own continuity, so it requires no continuity knowledge. The first book of Runaways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom