• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody read Empire of the Dead? Wondering if I should go back and pick it up.

Dead Body Road was meh, but it's still a pretty book. <3 Matteo Scalera

I stumbled upon JL8 earlier today and have been reading it non-stop. Absolutely fantastic and it's leaving me super hungry for the Flash and Green Lantern.

Best Flash runs to pick up? I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to him. Anything featuring both Flash/GL would be awesome as well. I'm open to pretty much anything that includes humor.

Mark Waid's Flash and Geoff Johns Flash

So I just read WatXM 40. Finallllllllly a writer manages to write a Scott/Logan scene well and explain both sides without having the other seem like an idiot.

Too bad most books will act like it never happened.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Loved it.

EDIT: Did y'all catch my boy SCOTT LANG putting a beating on the Doom's punk? SCOTT LANG ANT-MAN IS THE BEST ANT-MAN EVER. No whiny shit just kicking ass and making Doom look like a scared child.

gotta do something to make him seem interesting. hes been riding the coattails of "cassie langs father" for too long

fallingdove

I just heard about Afterlife with Archie... the premise alone seems insane, but is it any good?

I have liked it quite a bit.

Speaking of Francavilla, did Dark Horse cancel Black Beetle Necrologue? I see it has been removed from their site and the first issue wasn't shipped on the 15th to my local comic shop.

arkon

I have liked it quite a bit.

Speaking of Francavilla, did Dark Horse cancel Black Beetle Necrologue? I see it has been removed from their site and the first issue wasn't shipped on the 15th to my local comic shop.

Just checked his twitter. Seems a few people have (understandably) asked about it. His response: "@Andrew_McIntyre as soon as we have a definite date, we will let everyone know :)"

At least it's still going ahead.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Superior Ant-Man not only beat up Doom but he also figured out something Hank never did. Take that L Dr. Henry Jonathan Pym.

figuring out something hank pym didnt gives him what, two wins? ok. keep with that lame horse. im sure he'll make it to the finish line of acceptibility after the movie comes out

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Bought nearly 15 comics today, perhaps more, and read half tonight. Deadly Class, Black Widow 2, Hawkeye, and All-New Invaders were pleasant reads. Avengers world and x force 2 were boring; ultimate xmen was terrible. Tomorrow I'll be reading Origin II, latest Xmen, latest batman and batman 66, Umbral (probably dropping this), starting The Wake, Harley Quinn 2, and xmen knights. I have high hopes for The wake, especially for my gf since she's into horror.

Vyer

Deadly Class was fine, but I'm not sure I get the hyperbole. Looked good and I will check the next issue out, but it really didn't feel like anything more than a solid setup issue.

Black Science's first issue, for example, made much more of an impact I thought.

Oh gee Iron Fist is $4, thanks Quesadilla you sure know how to take popularity lightly.

SUPSM2013COVER031-bfaef.jpg

Why is Spidey wearing a jock strap?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just checked his twitter. Seems a few people have (understandably) asked about it. His response: "@Andrew_McIntyre as soon as we have a definite date, we will let everyone know :)"

He's too busy doing a billion covers and a poster every time he watches an episode of television he likes.

vocab

Finished transmetropolitan volume 3. This series sure knows how to make me laugh one page and go wtf on the other.

Working through east of west volume 1. My biggest fear with this series is ill read it for probably three volumes and it still won't develop into anything. It's too early, but its a possibility. I like it so far.

So when marvel does multiple omnibuses to make up a writer's run, how long a gap is there normally between volumes? That's me caught up on Hickman's Secret Warriors, and his avengers/new avengers/S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff, got my eye on that Fantastic Four omnibus. I'd rather get it when the second omnibus is maybe a month from dropping though. Are we talking years?

:-(. Bums me out. Too busy with After Life With Archie(im not complaining, great book!),, and his other hundreds of covers he does!?lol

You'd think for his book he created it be more of a priority,, but who knows why its so late. Owner of my LCS said something about shipping in JUNE!?!? We'll see...

P.S.,, Deadly Class was fuggin awesome.

I left Zero at home:( yall got me curious about that last page (i usually bring some comics to work to read forgot that one)

I hpe it doesn't disappoint, I don't want to disappoint anyone anymore.... :(

That book looks really schway? Is that from Oni? If so it either will start as an ongojng, release the first trade and never be heard from again or wait years between releases so they can gather the funds to print it.

So I'm just getting caught up on the recent Alan Moore interview, where he launches a major attack on Grant Morrison.

Kind of sad that they have such a major feud. Moore is a prickly old bastard, isn't he. As much as I love his work, and agree he's probably a greater talent than Morrison, there's no doubt that Morrison is a major talent too, and whatever the degree of personal animosity Moore has towards Morrison, he's not going to convince me otherwise.

It's interesting that these two people just kind of can't share the same space. But the fued doesn't diminish either one's talents in my eyes.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I'm just getting caught up on the recent Alan Moore interview, where he launches a major attack on Grant Morrison.

Kind of sad that they have such a major feud. Moore is a prickly old bastard, isn't he. As much as I love his work, and agree he's probably a greater talent than Morrison, there's no doubt that Morrison is a major talent too, and whatever the degree of personal animosity Moore has towards Morrison, he's not going to convince me otherwise.

It's interesting that these two people just kind of can't share the same space. But the fued doesn't diminish either one's talents in my eyes.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/

Yeah, I didn't link to it because I saw it being discussed earlier in the thread so I just wanted to add my two cents.

There were some real zingers in there from Moore. As we all know, he has quite a way with words. Poor Morrison.

I recommend this also from Grant's perspective, although it's from a few months previous :

http://comicsbeat.com/the-strange-case-of-grant-morrison-and-alan-moore-as-told-by-grant-morrison/

Yup, I read that. Definitely both sides to the story. Two great artists just don't get along, I guess.

Blink Me

Alan Moore's still my second favourite writer (after Ennis) but it does seem that some of the grudges he holds against people like Morrison, Gibbons, Lloyd and some of his other collaborators could be solved over a face to face meeting. But if he doesn't want to associate with them fair enough.

Alan Moore's still my second favourite writer (after Ennis) but it does seem that some of the grudges he holds against people like Morrison, Gibbons, Lloyd and some of his other collaborators could be solved over a face to face meeting. But if he doesn't want to associate with them fair enough.

If I were asked who my favourite comic writers were I'd say Alan Moore and Grant Morrison immediately, and then I'd start thinking about who else. I think this is what annoys Moore most, that someone who he feels is an imitator, or a "Scottish tribute band" (ouch) is probably considered by most as his closest contemporary.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Moore really reminds me of my father-in-law who is so principled he would probably cut off his own hand rather than compromise his stance. One legendary story my wife told me was that back in the day he wrote a book about lesbian serial killers that was apparently poorly received by his editors, so he burned all the manuscripts and will never speak of it again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I feel really sad the WatXM i know and love is ending, especially when its been the only X-book to really get it in a long time. Logan talking like a real person and not a plot device angry idiot. There's Forever, sure, but taking the focus away from the school seems kinda sad. Hopefully the new WatXM will be its own good thing in its own right to make up for the never-ending Bendis shitfest on the other side.

Avengers 25 being some EVIL AVENGERS FROM ANOTHER TIME roundabout faff is the drop in quality (I am going to cry about Larroca's descent from plucky art joy to... what the eff for eternity) I needed to jump all the hell out. New Avengers only to see how that all wraps up.

Hawkeye and its delays and meandering are doing it no favours. Its really lost a crapton of momentum. Superior Foes punched its stomach and stole its lunch money, totes.

Mark Waid's Flash and Geoff Johns Flash

Any specific runs?

I see Geoff Johns has Flash: Blood Will Run, Rebirth, Blitz, Crossfire, Dastardly Death of the Rogues, Ignition, and so on. Then I see an Omnibus that looks good but I don't know if I'll like Flash enough to justify dropping $70 for it.

Mark Waid has Return of Barry Allen, Born to Run, Terminal Velocity, and so on.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
While I'm a fan of both Morrison and Moore, Gerard Way's response to Moore's latest tirade seems tremendously apt.

271196_Bdm4v9tCMAA_8bC_1_591w.jpg

If only Gerard had put as much effort into Killjoys.

Messi

I finished reading the Good, The Bad and The Ugly arc of Deadpool. That was fantastic. Its nice to see what they were able to do when they stopped trying to make everything Deadpool says a joke. I felt legitimately bad for wade by the end. These guys are doing a great job with this book now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom