• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm a fan of both Morrison and Moore, Gerard Way's response to Moore's latest tirade seems tremendously apt.

271196_Bdm4v9tCMAA_8bC_1_591w.jpg

And I used to wonder if The Umbrella Academy or the guitar part from DEAD! was the greatest thing he ever wrote...

Marvel please use better paper, I dont care if you have to charge five dollars for it. MarvelMan their most hyped release since Inhumanity, the book that will pay Neil Gaiman back for Angela, has awful paper. Chloe Bennet wouldn't even wipe her ass with this.

Don't forget Kot's on Iron Patriot too guys. Not that I'd ever have thought I'd read an Iron Patriot book, but Kot is infectious. The interviews this guy gives.The comicvine one on youtube is pretty great. He just seems to *get* stuff.

Cheska

Did anyone else read Batwoman 27? Those page spreads, WOW! I should have figured I'd be in for a treat since Manapul helped with interiors this week.

tim1138

Don't forget Kot's on Iron Patriot too guys. Not that I'd ever have thought I'd read an Iron Patriot book, but Kot is infectious. The interviews this guy gives.The comicvine one on youtube is pretty great. He just seems to *get* stuff.

I'd like to forget, but you and Rafa keep reminding us all. Even Kot can't make me care about Rhodey

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

I was just going to ask some of the fine folks who read Zero if they knew about Kot's creative process for Zero, and whether he writes a script first and then finds the artist or vice-versa, or does something that's in-between, but this interview totally answers that, so thanks for the heads up, donnie. The guy is fascinating, and probably the most boundary-pushing new writer out there.

I'd like to forget, but you and Rafa keep reminding us all. Even Kot can't make me care about Rhodey

Haha don't think of it that way man! Just think of it as Kot, with Garry Brown, doing their own creator owned book about a man in an iron suit, about all the themes Kot has discussed the book being about. You know this isn't going to have some generic spandex tone or fall into any horrible racial cliches, and I imagine he's going to have a really fair bit of autonomy to do what he wants. Kot will write an intelligent thought provoking book. It sounds like the book that will be more like Zero of his two. The previews of Secret Avengers seem like they will veer tonally towards Hawkeye (obviously a little more plot driven though). I'm really impressed at the chances Marvel have given Kot and Edmondson with their two respective books coming up. Marvel universe needs books like this on the stands. I'm in for all 4.

I was just going to ask some of the fine folks who read Zero if they knew about Kot's creative process for Zero, and whether he writes a script first and then finds the artist or vice-versa, or does something that's in-between, but this interview totally answers that, so thanks for the heads up, donnie. The guy is fascinating, and probably the most boundary-pushing new writer out there.

It's really good huh, I thought they did a good job with that interview. There's another newsarama did. It has some interesting stuff on his own personal background, but the comicvine one is the real business. I can'#t wait for the Zero trade to show up and for the Vanesa Del Rey issue of Zero. Good times coming.

Did anyone else read Batwoman 27? Those page spreads, WOW! I should have figured I'd be in for a treat since Manapul helped with interiors this week.
Read FBP already! Those colors those colors. I don't know if I was exposed to them in the womb or something but they have real power over me. Gotta talk to more people about how schway this book is.

Ales Kot and I will begin feuding soon. The next Moore and Morrison.

arkon

He's too busy doing a billion covers and a poster every time he watches an episode of television he likes.

:-(. Bums me out. Too busy with After Life With Archie(im not complaining, great book!),, and his other hundreds of covers he does!?lol

You'd think for his book he created it be more of a priority,, but who knows why its so late. Owner of my LCS said something about shipping in JUNE!?!? We'll see...

P.S.,, Deadly Class was fuggin awesome.

I left Zero at home:( yall got me curious about that last page (i usually bring some comics to work to read forgot that one)

I'd forgotten he was doing Afterlife with Archie as well as all those covers. This is the benefit of structuring Black Beetle as a series of mini-series though, it doesn't affect the momentum of the story. I guess they'll be waiting until he's got it all finished or close to before soliciting it again.

did FF #16 actually release wednesday? DCBS didn't put it into my order yet.

The website I order from have apparently sent it out this week. I still need to get home and check the post to see if it's arrived.

I didn't actually realised though that Iron Patriot is not an ongoing? It's only a mini for now, however Kot says on his twitter that there's room for it to move into ongoing territory if it sells well.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read FBP already! Those colors those colors. I don't know if I was exposed to them in the womb or something but they have real power over me. Gotta talk to more people about how schway this book is.

Those colors and Cicero's hair are truly the next generation of comics.

tim1138

I imagine you know this donie, when does the Zero tpb come out? It's going to join the rarified air of Manhattan Projects as books I double dip on.

-e-

Also just a general PSA to those just discovering the crazy genius of Kot, be sure to check out Wild Children and Change as well.

Owzers

I bought FF 16 in store. So yeah it came out.

boooooo i was wanting that issue to finish things and it didn't get in my dcbs order that shipped today. I feel bad sending an email about it since they are busy integrating mailordercomics orders and probably have a ton of mail.

I'll blame snow?

Filthy Slug

I imagine you know this donie, when does the Zero tpb come out? It's going to join the rarified air of Manhattan Projects as books I double dip on.

-e-

Also just a general PSA to those just discovering the crazy genius of Kot, be sure to check out Wild Children and Change as well.

I'm getting those asap. I forgot you had written about them a while ago.

...And Wild Children is not on Instock and out of stock at Amazon. Fuck. I need it.

Omega

Banned
I ended up ordering some trades from IST. It's been a week since the last update. On one hand I'm trying to be reasonable because the weather hasn't exactly been the best. But I live in NY, the last update on the shipment was that it arrived in PA on the 16th.

The most I ever waited for a package from IST was 3 days, and that was including a Sunday.

Should I contact IST or the post office to see whats going on or wait a little more?

Filthy Slug

I ended up ordering some trades from IST. It's been a week since the last update. On one hand I'm trying to be reasonable because the weather hasn't exactly been the best. But I live in NY, the last update on the shipment was that it arrived in PA on the 16th.

The most I ever waited for a package from IST was 3 days, and that was including a Sunday.

Should I contact IST or the post office to see whats going on or wait a little more?

It can't hurt to contact them for an update, but that storm on Tues. had to have delayed mail a bit. I've never had any issues with IST but I reckon they have solid customer service.

Cheska

Holy shit dude, I'm in the exact same situation. My package has been in WARRENDALE, PA 15095 since January 17th. When is you expected delivery date? Mine technically isn't until tomorrow, so there's no point in contacting them yet as it could just be a delay on USPS's part.

But like I mentioned a few days ago, I've had the absolute worse experience with the postal service recently and it wouldn't surprise me if this is another loss. My biggest worry if that's the case though is that DCBS doesn't seem to have insurance, and both of my orders through them have been some of my most expensive ones.

I'm buying Secret Avengers solely because he's writing it and keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get sucked into crossover hell. Kot writing MODOK is just too good to pass up.

After this arc, Spencer is no longer co-writing so I'm expecting it to go from great (which it is currently) (TASKMASTER!!!!) to OH WOW.

Filthy Slug

I want to try something new, got my iPad and comixology at the ready - what are the best DC books this week other than Batman?

Batman and Robin. I assume other than Batman means other than Snyder's Batman, so I'm going to pimp Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin because it's stellar. It's in a Two-Face storyline--really brutal so far.

Other than that, FBP. I know it's Vertigo, but dude, those colors, on your robot-comic-reader, are going to make your eyes happy as fuck. Also, the story is damn good.

DAMMIT MESSI, STOP PEDDLING YOUR HARLEY QUINN SMUT TO FINE-COMICS-READING FOLKS.

Messi

Batman and Robin. I assume other than Batman means other than Snyder's Batman, so I'm going to pimp Tomasi and Gleason's Batman and Robin because it's stellar. It's in a Two-Face storyline--really brutal so far.

Other than that, FBP. I know it's Vertigo, but dude, those colors, on your robot-comic-reader, are going to make your eyes happy as fuck. Also, the story is damn good.

DAMMIT MESSI, STOP PEDDLING YOUR HARLEY QUINN SMUT TO FINE-COMICS-READING FOLKS.

I agree with your suggestion of Batman and Robin and no I refuse to stop peddling legitimately good books starring my favourite character.

Filthy Slug

I agree with your suggestion of Batman and Robin and no I refuse to stop peddling legitimately good books starring my favourite character.

I'm just fucking around with the HQ stuff. I really don't like the comic, but I'm glad your favorite character is getting some love, no matter the circumstances.

I want to try something new, got my iPad and comixology at the ready - what are the best DC books this week other than Batman?

I've really been enjoying the Justice League Beyond part of "Batman Beyond Universe". It's digital first so I don't know the release dates for digital, but it's the physical release of the title for this week; "System Override: Malware". It's the return of Brainiac (the DCAU version, i.e. the one who had merged with Lex Luthor) and he is seriously fucking everything up. It's a global scale event. The previous issues had been dealing with the new "Superboy" of the DCAU universe
Zod, the son of Jax-ur, who was born in the Phantom Zone

If you have any love for the DCAU, I highly recommend everything they've been doing in the Justice League Beyond, it's been a fantastic continuation, on par with the Batman Beyond titles.

Edit: Here is the Comixology Link: http://www.comixology.com/Justice-League-Beyond-2-0-2013/comics-series/11701

Messi

I'm just fucking around with the HQ stuff. I really don't like the comic, but I'm glad your favorite character is getting some love, no matter the circumstances.

Oh I know all of you are fucking with me. But I am glad at the very least I get to enjoy the book and I've highlighted it for some people here.

Tizoc

51SpvmSWNaL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Holy crap you guys weren't kidding this book is good, really enjoyed it.
Batman doing detective work and good dialog.
Ogivly is becoming one of my fav. Batman villains

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It didn't come out this week but I'd recommend Justice League 3000. It's on it's second issue, but it's been a fun read!

Oh man I read the first issue of that and hated it, couldn't even finish it. It was way too 'loud' for me, everything felt exclamatory and all the twists on the characters were super obvious "oh they're kinda the opposite" takes. Pretty art though.

arkon

-e-

I've been reading Change recently. My reaction so far has pretty much been: wtf am I reading and not in a good way, but I'm not reading it under ideal circumstances. It seems like something that requires far more attention than tired-as-fuck bedtime reading to get the most out of.

I do wonder if I would have given it as much of a chance if I hadn't already heard so much praise for it and Kot's work.

After this arc, Spencer is no longer co-writing so I'm expecting it to go from great (which it is currently) (TASKMASTER!!!!) to OH WOW.

Out of interest, did
Bucky
show up again after
issue 9?
. I always thought he was going to have a larger role to play, but Spencer's about done.

EDIT: Just spotted your question there Tim. First week of march on Amazon man. It might make it to actual comic stores a week or so earlier.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

It was solicited for February 19th. Amazon has it on March 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom