• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldren

That's a good question: Snyder is one of the few people who I've never picked up in trades because I've been around for his entire comics career so far. The thing is, there weren't any delays on his Batman books and Capullo has done 90% of the incredible art, and 100% of the important story-related art. So for me, I just got burnt out on him and his inability to keep my attention with overblown events where the 3rd act usually faltered. Also, his Swamp Thing run is abominable, and Rotworld is the most hilarious encapsulation of everything that was wrong with Snyder back then.

I'm back in with Zero Year, though, and I think he deserves every ounce of credit he's getting for this specific storyline. Capullo, of course, is the star of the show, because he never once stumbled on art duties, and is so fucking good it's absurd.

Hmm I think I see where you're coming from, with the same team hitting the same problem. That would probably be a bit of a drag if it was stretched out over however many years.

(Also I quite liked the first Swamp Thing trade; I wasn't blown away but I liked the art and the story was pretty cool. However I really like the look of Charles Soule's Swamp Thing so I went back and bought the 2nd and 3rd Snyder trades to catch up. Hopefully they're not TOO horrifically bad!)

Capullo and fco are a top-notch art team. fco's colours in particular look insane from the previews of Zero Year I've seen.

Not to be That Guy but aren't we not supposed to post preview pages on these threads? I kind of like that rule as a person who reads Saga in trade.

So for me, I just got burnt out on him and his inability to keep my attention with overblown events where the 3rd act usually faltered. Also, his Swamp Thing run is abominable, and Rotworld is the most hilarious encapsulation of everything that was wrong with Snyder back then.

Oh dude, what? I don't know. Not like this haha. I just...I want to say you're just hung up on your third act thing when I read that , but I also I feel myself going from genuine objective discussion, into encrouching defensiveness when I read it. I'll be honest about that haha. It's stupid too, because why be defensive, you like what you like, that doesn't detract from my enjoyment, and I know you like plenty of good books, so it's not that you have bad taste. It just hurts reading that man, I love Snyder's Swamp Thing stuff, it completely blew me away, and imo felt like the closest in quality to his creator owned stuff so far out of all his superhero stuff. I don't really see his stuff in third acts or ever feel like it drags in terms of release schedule though, and I don't know if that plays into what Eldren said about reading by trade versus monthly. For me I pick this up, I read and enjoy a full story in one or two sessions, and that's that until the next volume, outside of rereads obviously.

I just really like Swamp Thing by Snyder haha :( it hits a lot of stuff he does with AmVamp for me, both in the exploration of the green, in his handling of the characters, just love it. Not to mention the art. I couldn't have ever imagined I'd have checked out Swamp Thing, let alone digging it so much.

Not to be That Guy but aren't we not supposed to post preview pages on these threads? I kind of like that rule as a person who reads Saga in trade.

Hahah, yea, I didn't want to be the one to say it, but what's up with a fifth of an issue being pasted in the thread up there? Just add a link, we can all click it if we want, for as a trade reader, it becomes a major hassle having to jump by that as fast as I can and hope not to spot any spoilers etc.

Cheska

DCBS and CGN order came in! :D

pf0ttKL.jpg

fVtuzDp.jpg

tim1138

So I got volume 1 of Batman Chronicles for $4 on Kindle the other day and have been working my way through it. While I've read about Golden Age Batman, I've never actually read any of the stories. Some of the early stuff is pretty funny, like Batman driving around in a bright red car and then parking it an empty lot so no one sees it. It's also pretty interesting to see how different that original version of the character was. Guns? No problem. Killing? You better believe it! So far the only villain he hasn't killed is Hugo Strange (who I didn't realize dated back that far), every other villain of the week is killed at the end of the story. I must say, I'm really enjoying this.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh dude, what? I don't know. Not like this haha. I just...I want to say you're just hung up on your third act thing when I read that , but I also I feel myself going from genuine objective discussion, into encrouching defensiveness when I read it. I'll be honest about that haha. It's stupid too, because why be defensive, you like what you like, that doesn't detract from my enjoyment, and I know you like plenty of good books, so it's not that you have bad taste. It just hurts reading that man, I love Snyder's Swamp Thing stuff, it completely blew me away, and imo felt like the closest in quality to his creator owned stuff so far out of all his superhero stuff. I don't really see his stuff in third acts or ever feel like it drags in terms of release schedule though, and I don't know if that plays into what Eldren said about reading by trade versus monthly. For me I pick this up, I read and enjoy a full story in one or two sessions, and that's that until the next volume, outside of rereads obviously.

I just really like Swamp Thing by Snyder haha :( it hits a lot of stuff he does with AmVamp for me, both in the exploration of the green, in his handling of the characters, just love it. Not to mention the art. I couldn't have ever imagined I'd have checked out Swamp Thing, let alone digging it so much.

Hahah, yea, I didn't want to be the one to say it, but what's up with a fifth of an issue being pasted in the thread up there? Just add a link, we can all click it if we want, for as a trade reader, it becomes a major hassle having to jump by that as fast as I can and hope not to spot any spoilers etc.

Hey man, it's cool, defend that shit at all costs if you love it. At the end of the day, I'm with Snyder. I told all of my friends about him when he was writing Detective and Gates of Gotham, and met him before he blew up. Super nice guy. But I'm just not going to accept everything he writes as gold, because the fact of the matter is his stories tend to be overblown, and tend to run out of steam entirely towards their conclusions. As an author whose first work is a short story collection, he should know the effectiveness of brevity, especially in a story that's completely lagging. For a lot of people, he's writing the definitive Batman, and up until now, I'd say he hasn't earned it.

With Zero Year, however, he's earning every step and stride he's making, and I'm happy that's he's excelling. I take writing over art almost always, but I'm happy his writing has caught up to Capullo's artistic talents.

Also, to be entirely transparent, I did enjoy Swamp Thing here and there but he swiftly destroyed two comics due to a lousy, overblown story-event, and the entirety of his run was leading up to that dumb event, so how could I not judge the entire thing?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I see Empowered! Good choice.

I'm thinking of getting that Planetary omnibus as well.

Yo, join the club. Tim's hosting the Planetary Book Club once we all get our copies and start reading. RIGHT TIM??

DagsJT

So the Batman individual issues are cheaper on Comixology compared to the Volumes. I'm guessing the volumes don't actually offer anything different?

Okay, so I know that not everyone will agree with me but man, I'm loving this Claremont/Davis run on Uncanny staring late 2004. It's so nostalgic, even though I'm reading it for the first time. It's like a little slice of 1992 but with all the coloring techniques of the modern day, and the post Morrison universe. Plus it looks fantastic on retina iPad. Alan Davis' art is always great, but man it's just coming alive here.

Filthy Slug

So the Batman individual issues are cheaper on Comixology compared to the Volumes. I'm guessing the volumes don't actually offer anything different?

If you're talking about Snyder and Capullo's Batman, I know in the trades/volumes, Snyder goes back and changes things and tightens shit up a bit. I'm not sure about digital volumes, though.

vocab

Finished East of West volume 1. It ended on a good note.
Finished Locke and Key volume 2 in one sitting today. The series is good, but it makes me think about my own life too much, and that makes me sad.

Got my instocktrades order, and of course something comes with marks on the cover and weird glue residue on the spine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait, what?

There was a panel where Batman slips out of his gloves to escape being tied up and a lot of people didn't understand that this is what happened, probably the only moment where the art failed in the entire run. Snyder went back to it for the trade and added a few lines to fix everyone's confusion.

There was a panel where Batman slips out of his gloves to escape being tied up and a lot of people didn't understand that this is what happened, probably the only moment where the art failed in the entire run. Snyder went back to it for the trade and added a few lines to fix everyone's confusion.

That's one interpretation. Pretty convenient way to obfuscate the real conspiracy.

Hey man, it's cool, defend that shit at all costs if you love it. At the end of the day, I'm with Snyder. I told all of my friends about him when he was writing Detective and Gates of Gotham, and met him before he blew up. Super nice guy. But I'm just not going to accept everything he writes as gold, because the fact of the matter is his stories tend to be overblown, and tend to run out of steam entirely towards their conclusions. As an author whose first work is a short story collection, he should know the effectiveness of brevity, especially in a story that's completely lagging. For a lot of people, he's writing the definitive Batman, and up until now, I'd say he hasn't earned it.

With Zero Year, however, he's earning every step and stride he's making, and I'm happy that's he's excelling. I take writing over art almost always, but I'm happy his writing has caught up to Capullo's artistic talents.

Also, to be entirely transparent, I did enjoy Swamp Thing here and there but he swiftly destroyed two comics due to a lousy, overblown story-event, and the entirety of his run was leading up to that dumb event, so how could I not judge the entire thing?

One thing I'll say on the overblown thing. Not that I agree that it's a fact at all that his stories tend to be overblown (since this is an opinion either way), nor would I change the stories we're getting, I do wish that in addition, we got more just regular goings on from him. I really love the big grand stories and seeing Snyder reach for the stars (and obviously debate-ably reach/not reach them), but I wish I there was quiet time as well, to see Bruce interact with Barbara, or Jason, or anything really. This comes back to my wish though there was only really one or two bat books at all. Often the answer would be "ah but you see Tomasi show us his relationship with Damien" or whatever, but I'd like to see Snyder do some of that stuff. Purely in addition to what he's doing though.

Interesting you name check Gates Of Gotham though, as I wouldn't characterise that as any more Snyder's than I would Talon, nor do I think it's a very good book(GoG, not Talon; I like Talon). But that's a Kyle Higgins discussion for another time haha.

Also, thank you for the surprisingly impassioned Avengers Arena responses guys, both for and against. I had no idea folks cared so much about the book either way, I wondered if anyone would respond actually. I'm pretty interested in checking it out now just to see what I think haha. Most of my wondering about it started because the third trade out soon and all 3 together is only around £20, so it's very minimal investment to check out a full run of a book. I reckon I'll do that at some point.

Busiek/Perez Avengers comixology sale.

BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUY!
After that wallet damaging Unwritten sale, I decided to show some restraint and only went for that Ultron arc and Kang Dynasty.

This got me thinking that a sale I'd really love would be Astro City, it's probably my favorite Busiek work.

There were about three issues before Zero Year which haven't been collected in trade yet IIRC. Off the top of my head I think they were 18, 19 and 20.

MartyStu

Batman and Robin

Anyone know what the endgame is? I really like what they have been doing, but I feel like it is time to wrap up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom