• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely set in all things 1987.

Remender is pretty subtle about it in this first issue. Aside from the Skate or Die reference, I don't think there are pop culture references. The political climate is key, though. The violent streets of the late eighties is a central factor for the themes of the story. Regan and his administration decisions have a direct affect on the plot. There's a bit of lingo that might be 80's, like calling the police "the fuzz." But it is played very naturally. No one is saying "gag me with a spoon", which I appreciate. There are some 80s clothes and hairstyles but trends being how they are, people could also be wearing a lot of that stuff today. Basically, he's not making the 80s a joke. He's not making it cute or retro or sentimental.
!

That's great guys, thanks for the info, especially for going so indepth Maq, I appreciate it. In this case, this is actually part of me building a small list of new books for my girlfriend, given she's been reading Fables for so long, and a lot of the books she follows are coming to an end or have already died off. I think she likes to think of the books she reads as her own, oppose to reading my books haha, so I'm going through a big overview of what's just debuted, or what's coming this year and finding her some new stuff. Taking it as an opportunity to not only expand her horizons but also home in on the kind of fiction she really likes in movies etc. but might not realise you can get in comics. She has a thing for the 80s and likes, for lack of a better term, high school/teenage fiction, I thought this might be a cool fit. I already have Sex Criminals down and very likely Pretty Deadly to fill out her usual fantasy/mythological niche. I thought about Umbral too but wondered if that and Pretty Deadly might be too much of the same genre kind of thing. I think Sex Criminals and Deadly Class are a lock though. Thanks again :) I'm thinking about Peter Panzerfaust too.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well I'm pretty pleased. This one Amazon seller had a pricing error, it seems, and I ordered the Animal Man omnibus for $17 shipped and Hellboy Library Edition vol. 1 for $20 shipped. And additionally, I had a $15 gift card for Amazon that I got for Christmas, so I got all that goodness for $22.

My buddy who'd been wanting the 52 omnibus got that for $50 too. Good stuff!

Cheska

Well I'm pretty pleased. This one Amazon seller had a pricing error, it seems, and I ordered the Animal Man omnibus for $17 shipped and Hellboy Library Edition vol. 1 for $20 shipped. And additionally, I had a $15 gift card for Amazon that I got for Christmas, so I got all that goodness for $22.

Hey I saw that too! I picked up 52, Animal Man, Sandman and Johns Teen Titans. Now to find out if it'll actually go through.

Omega

Banned
What happened?

I just ordered from them.

edit: Oh wait is this about shipping? nvm

yeah.

I've ordered from them a lot and had no problems, and honestly would still recommend them to anyone and everyone. but this whole issue with my last order just makes me not want to deal with them anymore

Obviously USPS being fucking idiots isn't their fault, but I've sent them emails asking if there's anything they can do, like a refund or re-sending the packages. I haven't even gotten a reply.

Even if they wouldn't do that, I would be fine with that. At least it would bring some closure to the situation, knowing that I'm out $65 and then I can just get the trades somewhere else. Instead I'm just left hanging

Cheska

yeah.

I've ordered from them a lot and had no problems, and honestly would still recommend them to anyone and everyone. but this whole issue with my last order just makes me not want to deal with them anymore

Obviously USPS being fucking idiots isn't their fault, but I've sent them emails asking if there's anything they can do, like a refund or re-sending the packages. I haven't even gotten a reply.

Even if they wouldn't do that, I would be fine with that. At least it would bring some closure to the situation, knowing that I'm out $65 and then I can just get the trades somewhere else. Instead I'm just left hanging

Wait you still haven't received your packages? Are they still stuck in PA?

Messi

yeah.

Sounds like a really shitty situation.

I wish the uk had an equivalent of instock trades I'd save so much money. Right now I am at the mercy of Amazon when it comes it picking up trades. It hurts me seeing he prices on instocktrades lol.

I wish the uk had an equivalent of instock trades I'd save so much money. Right now I am at the mercy of Amazon when it comes it picking up trades. It hurts me seeing he prices on instocktrades lol.

Definitely. I pretty much find myself buying from the book depository in the marketplace section on amazon every time. If there are better options out there, I'd love to hear haha.

vocab

yeah.

USPS are total scumbags. A relative shipped something to me on January 8th. They said they left a notice for me on one my packages (There was no notice). So it ended up limbo. We found all this out yesterday by the way. So we requested they reship it today, and they didn't even bring it today.

One of the trades I bought from a seller on amazon was said to have been left a notice, but there was no notice, and I got it the next day. Either they are fucking around, but putting that as a joke because they didn't have the time to delivery it that day, or they are truly retarded.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Fables and Fairest? Do they link up at all and are there other spinoffs?

Fables is the mainline series. Fairest is the spinoff series that features most of the female characters in fables. Fairest might be a good introduction, but it probably references some things from fables.

yeah.

I've been using IST for (I want to say) four or five years now, and I've never had an issue with them outside of the two occasions where the USPS moved the package to the WRONG SIDE OF THE COUNTRY. In those cases it took like, two weeks to get my order. But I understand that it wasn't anything to do with IST. IST in fact, has been very good with customer service. There was a time that I accidentally ordered two copies of a book, and they emailed me pretty much immediately to verify if that was correct. The book in question was Ultimatum, so they may have been perplexed as to why anyone would do that to themselves twice.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Fables and Fairest? Do they link up at all and are there other spinoffs?

It's basically an anthology title consisting of short arcs set in the world of Fables, by various different talents that want to work on the characters. The general theme is it's about the women of Fables. They folded the Cinderella mini's into it for example, and then there's arcs about Rapunzel etc.

It's as linked as it's set in the same world but you don't need to read it to get Fables. Not sure if you'd want to read it having never read Fables though. There was a Jack Of Fables series, again, almost entirely stood alone. There have been two Cinderella mini series, and a few OGNs now, three I think. I should just go take a picture of the bookshelf, my girlfriend has every trade sitting there haha.

Messi

It's basically an anthology title consisting of short arcs set in the world of Fables, by various different talents that want to work on the characters. The general theme is it's about the women of Fables. They folded the Cinderella mini's into it for example, and then there's arcs about Rapunzel etc.

It's as linked as it's set in the same world but you don't need to read it to get Fables. Not sure if you'd want to read it having never read Fables though. There was a Jack Of Fables series, again, almost entirely stood alone. There have been two Cinderella mini series, and a few OGNs now, two I think. I should just go take a picture of the bookshelf, my girlfriend has every trade sitting there haha.

Im buying the deluxe hcs of Fables but I can only find one HC for fairest. Are they not doing them anymore? It sounds right up my alley though.

Im buying the deluxe hcs of Fables but I can only find one HC for fairest. Are they not doing them anymore? It sounds right up my alley though.

The HC trade of Fairest you spotted is the OGN I think, I grabbed that at christmas. I don't believe there are hardcovers of the main fairest books yet, since there are only two trades out. It's not been going for too long.

Messi

The HC trade of Fairest you spotted is the OGN I think, I grabbed that at christmas. I don't believe there are hardcovers of the main fairest books yet, since there are only two trades out. It's not been going for too long.

Wait I am confused. The HC is separate from the paperbacks on amazon? Like different content.

Cheska

Speaking of Fables, I was LTTP on that so I've stuck with the deluxe editions/TPB's since it feels like one of those series that's more enjoyable in that form.

How well do the monthly issues do? I mean, it has to be doing well if it's survived over 100 issues and on it's way to 150.

Eldren

Sounds like a really shitty situation.

Instocktrades have started doing international shipping which is nice, but it's not as cheap as I'd hoped. The Planetary omnibus would have cost almost $100 to buy and ship to the UK, which is £60. Even a lower estimate of $90 is £55, when Amazon.co.uk are selling it for £40. I was excited to check out IST but I might only use it for cheaper and smaller trades. I agree that a UK version would be amazing, I'd use them exclusively.

Definitely. I pretty much find myself buying from the book depository in the marketplace section on amazon every time. If there are better options out there, I'd love to hear haha.

Book Depository are owned by Amazon now, they were bought out about a year ago I think. Wordery are good, and aphrohead too. Both sellers in the UK and I've never had a problem with either of them.

Book Depository are owned by Amazon now, they were bought out about a year ago I think. Wordery are good, and aphrohead too. Both sellers in the UK and I've never had a problem with either of them.

Hahah I remember you saying that actually. I wish that meant I could use my amazon prime with them haha! If I couild eliminate that £2.80 postage fee, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank man.

Damn, kinda hoped Fables already having HCs would help its chances.

Those Fables HCs only just started coming out a year or so back man, I think the first 12 volumes of Fables had came out before they started pushing those deluxe volumes out. There likely will be Deluxes at some ponit but y'know...DC haha. We can#t get a simple single volume paperback in timely fashion. Check back in 3 years.

Messi

Instocktrades have started doing international shipping which is nice, but it's not as cheap as I'd hoped. The Planetary omnibus would have cost almost $100 to buy and ship to the UK, which is £60. Even a lower estimate of $90 is £55, when Amazon.co.uk are selling it for £40. I was excited to check out IST but I might only use it for cheaper and smaller trades. I agree that a UK version would be amazing, I'd use them exclusively.

I was going to buy some stuff from Wordery the other day but decided against it since they might be in the USA, but they aren't right? Good prices.

Ephidel

Wordery are in the UK, so you've no need to worry on that front. I haven't used them much, so can't give much feedback, but I ordered a couple of books from them for the first time just before Christmas and had no problems. It gave a really huge estimated delivery window but they both arrived in about a week.

Eldren

Hahah I remember you saying that actually. I wish that meant I could use my amazon prime with them haha! If I couild eliminate that £2.80 postage fee, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank man.

The postage charge bumps up overall prices so much, it's really surprising. You can sometimes find books that only cost about £3 or so, and the postage charge effectively doubles the price.

I was going to buy some stuff from Wordery the other day but decided against it since they might be in the USA, but they aren't right? Good prices.

Wordery are in the UK, so you've no need to worry on that front. I haven't used them much, so can't give much feedback, but I ordered a couple of books from them for the first time just before Christmas and had no problems. It gave a really huge estimated delivery window but they both arrived in about a week.

Yeah Wordery are in the UK, although I'm not sure whereabouts. I think the longest I've ever waited for a delivery from them was a little under two weeks, back when it snowed really heavily last year. I've had a few orders from them arrive after 2 or 3 days.

You're my hero, thanks for the heads up.

I just ordered 52. I've been wanting to pick it up for a long time now and I almost bought it at $100 like a month ago. It's a no-brainer for me at the current price.

I'm so getting that planetary onimbus. I've got a small taste of the series. Could have got the absolute editions a long time ago, but they were so damn expensive.

I already have the trades, but I'd really like it all in one book so I'm gonna double-dip on this. Especially at $37 from IST.

Finally got around to reading Green Arrow: Year One. I really enjoyed it. Are there any other solid Green Arrow stories I should be reading?

MG310

This shelf is the sassiest.
DSCN3531.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to move the statues into the cabinet that has my Play Arts/NECA figures currently. Mostly because I like having all of the Bombshells lined up like this.

Messi

This shelf is the sassiest.

Not sure if I'm going to move the statues into the cabinet that has my Play Arts/NECA figures currently. Mostly because I like having all of the Bombshells lined up like this.

We have the same bombshells :p. I've ordered Batgirl and Canary too but they are not out yet.

MG310

Same here - plus I'll get Supergirl whenever she pops up again. Save Stargirl for whenever there's nothing to buy for a few months.

Messi

Same here - plus I'll get Supergirl whenever she pops up again. Save Stargirl for whenever there's nothing to buy for a few months.

Supergirl is going to come back around? My store had her and I am still kicking myself for not getting her. Didn't know she would be so popular.

Messi

My wife and I really want the Batman and Catwoman Hush statue when it comes out but it's damn expensive.

a20791d14276cee6734570_l.jpg

I agree on all fronts

Edit: Spent the day thinking about Locke and Key and what I read. That's a good sign I think. Last time that happened I had started SAGA and was fascinated by the world of SAGA.

Cheska

Guys do you think Infinite Crisis was good? I passed up on the omnibus and now I just keep thinking how I should have gotten it.

arkon

That's pretty much my go to places. I sometimes get lucky with a trade or hardcover on ebay but that's about it.

Owzers

dcbs shipment came.....reading!:

Walking Dead 119-120, Kirkman isn't rushing the war, and i really disliked what's going on with Ezekiel, but it's still goodish.

Young Avengers #15: That's weird and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom