• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the first two chapters of Locke and Key vol 1. This book seems really interesting. Good suggestion folks.

You were constantly hyping Harley Quinn, and you weren't already reading Locke & Key? Man, you gotta read the great books before you start pimping the so-so ones.

Messi

You were constantly hyping Harley Quinn, and you weren't already reading Locke & Key? Man, you gotta read the great books before you start pimping the so-so ones.

Is it wrong that I love Harley Quinn books? I am reading lots of stuff but only really ever feel the urge to talk about Harley books. Also I disagree about it being so-so, tis a perfect book for me. Not to say I can't enjoy more that one series though,

Also I disagree about it being so-so, tis a perfect book for me. Not to say I can't enjoy more that one series though,

It's a book full of silly hijinks that doesn't seem to actually go anywhere. I'm not saying it's bad, or the art isn't pretty, but it's missing something.

tim1138

It's a book full of silly hijinks that doesn't seem to actually go anywhere. I'm not saying it's bad, or the art isn't pretty, but it's missing something.

At the same time, is there anything wrong with a book just being irreverent and fun? Not everything needs to be some kind of magnum opus, you know?

Messi

True. It's only two issues. But what remains to be seen is if the assassin thread turns out to be interesting.

Wanna put a bet on about who it is? Id say it eventually leads to
The Joker, because that is the most likely thing and the laziest thing.

At the same time, is there anything wrong with a book just being irreverent and fun? Not everything needs to be some kind of magnum opus, you know?

I'm enjoying Hawkgal for the same reason, it's wacky hijinks and just give me a laugh. I suppose it helps it you already like the character. Katie Kate is awesome.

Messi, don't let the man get you down. They keep it up I'm gonna vote Harley number one in my voting out of spite.

Bah, I'm not trying to shit on a book he likes. I read Uber for fucks sake. Everyone reads what they like. The thing I was trying to draw attention too was the fact [travesty] that he wasn't reading Locke & Key until now. Not so much the question of Harley Quinn's quality. ;)

Bah, I'm not trying to shit on a book he likes. I read Uber for fucks sake. Everyone reads what they like. The thing I was trying to draw attention too was the fact [travesty] that he wasn't reading Locke & Key until now. Not so much the question of Harley Quinn's quality. ;)

I just read Locke and Key a few weeks ago and I bought like 10 issues of Catwoman before that and I bought Villains month Joker and a bunch of other shitty comics. It's all part of the process. Can't know the good without the bad.

So a winter storm hits South Louisiana, dropping a snow/ice mixture on the region not seen in years (seriously, the last time I remember weather like this, I was in grade school), resulting in numerous road/bridge closures in the area and a general order from authorities to stay off the streets except in emergencies, resulting in my workplace shutting down around noon today so the few workers who showed can get home safely, resulting in me having an unplanned day with nothing much to do.

So, I decide that I'm going to sit down and read Infinity in one go, this time following the order in the back of each issue. Not reading an issue when it's released, then reading another one when I get to it on the backlog, then going back and rereading that one because I forgot it was supposed to be the next part, etc. One sit-down, one big push, taking it all in.

fpNR45v.jpg

And that sh*t was AMAZING. :O

The daunting scope of a universal threat, the large scale space battles, the Illuminati and their machinations, the uniting of worlds under an Avengers banner, the epic beatdowns, all of it. Reading Infinity just by itself frankly doesn't cut it; you've got to experience the whole thing the way it was meant to be read, exactly as it's laid out above.

Owzers

Infinity needed two page spreads, my opinion is unchanged.....ruined it!

my picnic basket full of marvel comics has taken me to catching up on Daredevil, through issue 30. Liked it, though not as much as people around here and reviewers, nor as much as i liked the initial first few issues.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Gosh, you guys. Reading through this thread is cancerous. Just stopped by TFAW and picked up Black Science, Deadly Class, Zero, Egos, Velvet, etc. was hoping they'd have early Trillium and The Wake, but no.

Reread Death of the Family tonight and it was definitely better the 2nd time around. Instead of my mind trying to think of what's going to happen next, I was able to absorb the script more. I've read the best of Batman and Joker stories and this is easily up there as one of the best. I'll put The Killing Joke ahead of it but then it stands up with the rest of them. Scott and Greg really captured The Joker amazingly.

I think the fault of this story is why it probably was better the 2nd time was there was just too much building up. The first time through my brain was asking way more questions and not getting enough answers. This time, I had the answers and I was able to enjoy the incredible amount nuances that the creators made.

What I have learned tonight is I probably need to reread more of my stuff that I already own.

Edit -Also, I'm kinda intrigued by this

http://haveageekasm.com/comic-books...l&utm_campaign=buffer&utm_content=buffer18f0c

Dysun

Death of the Family didn't have the grand pay off that we were expecting. It's my least favorite Snyder arc from his time on Batman.
Even going back to Dick and the Black Mirror and what followed

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People's expectation for Death of the Family were out of control by the end of the storyline.

For real, partly because Tomasi and Morrison were building up to the death of Damian. DotF wasn't the sort of standard comics storyline, it was closer to the structure of a modern short story (despite it's length). It did a good job of what it set out to do and if there hadn't been any other bat-books skewing our expectations we'd probably have liked it better.

For real, partly because Tomasi and Morrison were building up to the death of Damian. DotF wasn't the sort of standard comics storyline, it was closer to the structure of a modern short story (despite it's length). It did a good job of what it set out to do and if there hadn't been any other bat-books skewing our expectations we'd probably have liked it better.

The thing about DotF was that for the most part, I really enjoyed it before the conclusion. Same as I did with Battle of the Atom. But both stories had the same problem where there's all this build-up only for them to fizzle out at the end. You expect stories with that kind of hype to have an impact and somehow change the status quo. But it just didn't happen in either case.

Let me ask a possibly dumb question about the Infinity HC:

When it's released, will all of the issues be presented in it's intended reading order or not?

I'm fairly certain that will be the case. I have it on pre-order and just bought all the avengers/new avengers stuff leading up to the HC. Spike's got me all psyched with that write-up there. I have no real interest in reading further but really out interest guys, were any of the tie-ins beyond the avengers/new avengers stuff any good?

Also I find it interesting how some of you have mentioned over the last page or two that going back and rereading your comics has increased the experience so much more. Which of course, is effectively my experience first time around, reading by trade. I am removed from the hype as I read it after the fact, and I get to sit down and read all the way through without waiting month by month. It makes me wonder if MArvel and DC do themselves an injustice by not sitting down and considering harder if the storyline, or the writer they're working with is more suited to the OGN format. There is such a rigid expectation right now with comics, it must come out monthly, it must be successful in this format to continue etc. and then fans are compelled to read that way because it keeps them up to date, safe from spoilers etc. I'm not really going anywhere with thus haha just thinking.

Who all is psyched for Original Sin btw? Aaron doing a Steranko inspired story with Fury in space ha I can't wait.

tm24

The Thor panel from Infinity is still the bees knees.

Also, I bought a Copra shirt. I havent ever read Copra, i just really wanted that shirt. I also really want Copra

Oh wow, their replacement for Layman on Eternal is...Kyle Higgins. Fuuuuck thaaaat. No thank you. I'm looking forward to the book, but mostly for the quality of writers on it. I only just got off of having to read his Nightwing, I honestly don't want to see him shape Gotham.

Eldren

I finished Legend Of Luther Strode last night, after starting it like a month and a half ago. It was pretty good but I think I preferred Strange Talent. It's hard to put my finger on it but something felt a bit off with Legend. It felt like not a lot happened. Lots of (beautifully drawn) fight scenes and not much else. I liked the character of
Jack
and Binder was interesting too, but I dunno...I think I wanted more to actually happen. Maybe I need to re-read it without taking huge breaks between issues.

I'll still definitely pick up a third trade if they ever get around to writing more Luther Strode stories though. I like the world and characters and, of course, that Tradd Moore/Felipe Sobreiro art.

Meanwhile, I'll be starting the Secret Warriors omnibus today. 900+ pages of Marvel espionage. I'm so ready for this.

Oh wow, their replacement for Layman on Eternal is...Kyle Higgins. Fuuuuck thaaaat. No thank you. I'm looking forward to the book, but mostly for the quality of writers on it. I only just got off of having to read his Nightwing, I honestly don't want to see him shape Gotham.
I just hope that means he isn't going to Titans. Those other brahs can pick up Higgins slack.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I just caught up on all of the Transformers:MTMTE trades. Cyclonus is my favorite character. I guess there won't be another trade for awhile since it said to get Dark Cybertron Vol 1 next. I'm going to read Last Stand of the Wreckers while I wait for that.I'll then probably start reading RiD.

Splatt

I just caught up on all of the Transformers:MTMTE. Cyclonus is my favorite character. I guess there won't be another trade for awhile since it said to get Dark Cybertron Vol 1 next. I'm going to read Last Stand of the Wreckers while I wait for that.I'll then probably start reading RiD.

It's amazing how much better and more fun to read is MTMTE compared to previous IDW Transformer series(excluding Last Stand of the Wreckers from the same writer).

RiD is alright, but it's much more serious in tone and a notch below MTMTE.

Bit of a random question, but alot of you guys read Deadly Class #1 right? So I'm wondering is there many pop culture references? Like, it's set in the 80s which I think it's pretty rad and I'm wondering how Remender puts that across? Do we get music and movie references, any mention of the political climate, or are we specifically more talking about the way the characters dress that grounds it in the 80s? How far does he run with that I guess I'm wondering. I like the idea he's went out of his way to set it in 1987 but I'm wondering how much he follows through on that. Does it feel more like dressing or a defining factor of the book?

Some Archaia stuff on sale on Comixology. I hear great things about Old City Blues vol 1 & 2, and Rust is award-winning all-ages fare.

Old City Blues is great Maq, you can actually read it for free on the OCB site Milonogiannis set up. So you could always take a gander at a few pages to see if it's your kind of thing. I always liked the look of Rust, but never got to it.

Old City Blues is great Maq, you can actually read it for free on the OCB site Milonogiannis set up. So you could always take a gander at a few pages to see if it's your kind of thing. I always liked the look of Rust, but never got to it.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I read a little Rust sampler that was cool. I own a few Archaia books I have yet to read. Most eager for Cow Boy. You ever read that? What little I've seen has been fantastic. Archaia books are such damn beautiful objects.

2013's Cyborg 009 by Archaia is in that sale, too.

Bit of a random question, but alot of you guys read Deadly Class #1 right? So I'm wondering is there many pop culture references? Like, it's set in the 80s which I think it's pretty rad and I'm wondering how Remender puts that across? Do we get music and movie references, any mention of the political climate, or are we specifically more talking about the way the characters dress that grounds it in the 80s? How far does he run with that I guess I'm wondering. I like the idea he's went out of his way to set it in 1987 but I'm wondering how much he follows through on that. Does it feel more like dressing or a defining factor of the book?

It's definitely set in all things 1987.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I read a little Rust sampler that was cool. I own a few Archaia books I have yet to read. Most eager for Cow Boy. You ever read that? What little I've seen has been fantastic. Archaia books are such damn beautiful objects.

2013's Cyborg 009 by Archaia is in that sale, too.

No, but I do know of it! There was a book Image did a few years back that just kind of petered out of existence that I really liked, I'm pretty sure the guy who wrote Cow Boy co-wrote it. It was extremely different though haha, cold war spies and stuff haha. But I always look into the writers I like stuff by and I saw Cow Boy and always thought it looks great. I love any book I think I could share with the family too and it looked really accessible.

Remender is pretty subtle about it in this first issue. Aside from the Skate or Die reference, I don't think there are pop culture references. The political climate is key, though. The violent streets of the late eighties is a central factor for the themes of the story. Regan and his administration decisions have a direct affect on the plot. There's a bit of lingo that might be 80's, like calling the police "the fuzz." But it is played very naturally. No one is saying "gag me with a spoon", which I appreciate. There are some 80s clothes and hairstyles but trends being how they are, people could also be wearing a lot of that stuff today. Basically, he's not making the 80s a joke. He's not making it cute or retro or sentimental.

Also, it is so good. Wow.
That page where he's running down the stairs and the chase sequence?
Incredible. And how the panels, like, propel you on. The movement and action is drawn with such fluidity. Amazing stuff.

Wasn't gonna pick this up because of some stubborn thing I have about not wanting to read stories about teenagers. Thanks for the rec, Comic-GAF. You saved the day- again!

Messi

Remender is pretty subtle about it in this first issue. Aside from the Skate or Die reference, I don't think there are pop culture references. The political climate is key, though. The violent streets of the late eighties is a central factor for the themes of the story. Regan and his administration decisions have a direct affect on the plot. There's a bit of lingo that might be 80's, like calling the police "the fuzz." But it is played very naturally. No one is saying "gag me with a spoon", which I appreciate. There are some 80s clothes and hairstyles but trends being how they are, people could also be wearing a lot of that stuff today. Basically, he's not making the 80s a joke. He's not making it cute or retro or sentimental.

Also, it is so good. Wow.
That page where he's running down the stairs and the chase sequence?
Incredible. And how the panels, like, propel you on. The movement and action is drawn with such fluidity. Amazing stuff.

Wasn't gonna pick this up because of some stubborn thing I have about not wanting to read stories about teenagers. Thanks for the rec, Comic-GAF. You saved the day- again!

Did I see a Girl with a skeleton face in that book?

Old City Blues is great stuff. I still gotta pick up vol. 2 but i'm gonna get the physical version

Yeah, OCB is the main reason I wanted to mention the Archaia Comixology sale here. I'm interested in the book but I saw a volume for sale at my LCS and don't like how small it was. Didn't look like a good art/reading situation.

Did I see a Girl with a skeleton face in that book?

Haha.. Not sure whether she always looks like that. There is a scene that takes place during an
outdoor Day of the Dead celebration.

Messi

Yeah, OCB is the main reason I wanted to mention the Archaia Comixology sale here. I'm interested in the book but I saw a volume for sale at my LCS and don't like how small it was. Didn't look like a good art/reading situation.

Haha.. Not sure whether she always looks like that. There is a scene that takes place during an
outdoor Day of the Dead celebration.

I'll read it if she always looks like that. If not, no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom