• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I really want the Batman and Catwoman Hush statue when it comes out but it's damn expensive.

a20791d14276cee6734570_l.jpg

I need this.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Deadly Class #1

Very very pretty, but it's the first issue so things are building. Sticking with it for at least the first arc.

Owzers

Deadly Class #1 was thrilling, reminded me of Zero but with an extra focus on moving everything forward. I'm on board both due to the first issues, probably trades though.

The next cape book i read in my stack from dcbs is going to get judged extra harsh because of Deadly Class.

Deadly Class #1 was thrilling, reminded me of Zero but with an extra focus on moving everything forward. I'm on board both due to the first issues, probably trades though.

The next cape book i read in my stack from dcbs is going to get judged extra harsh because of Deadly Class.

Deadly Class is a closing act. I couldn't even finish what I tried reading after it.

Guys! Guys! It's Sunday. You know what that means!

Time for lists!

Furious #1
Black Science #3
East of West #9
Invincible #108
Revival #17
Saga #18
Guardians of the Galaxy #11.NOW
Uber #9

It's easy like Sunday list.

Batman and Robin Annual 2
Catwoman (Gothtopia) 27
Damian Son of Batman 4 of 4
Flash 27
Forever Evil Argus 4
Justice League Dark 27
Black Science 3
East of West 9
Revival 17
Saga 18
Superior Spider-Man 26
Furious 1

Furious #1
Five Weapons #6
Lost at Sea Deluxe HC (maybe)

I didn't even know Five Weapons was gonna keep going. Cool. I'll look out for #5 as well, I never finished it up. I love Scott Pilgrim so I don't know why i haven't read Lost At Sea yet, but might as well get the super HC edition that comes out this week. Furious just seems fun.

Caught up on some more books.

Harley Quinn was great. Especially love the art.
New Guardians was aight. Didn't like the line work but enjoyed the banter and interplay.
Supergirl was enjoyable but I'm more excited about next issue.
Batman was pretty much the greatest.

what's the best superman title out? i read the 1st issue of Super Unchained and it was fairly decent...other than that i'm totally out of the loop

My personal order of preference:

Superman/Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Batman/Superman
Superman Unchained
Superman

Superman / Wonder Woman has gorgeous art, and great interactions between Clark and Diana.

Action Comics is pretty much the definition of a solid Superman adventure.

Adventures of Superman is a series of non-continuity Superman stories. Does a good job of distilling the essence of the character.

Batman/Superman is essentially the modern Worlds Finest team up. Hard to get a read as the first two arcs have been widely different.

Superman Unchained has been good. I have no complaints against it. The characterization of Lois has been great.

Superman is still written by Lobdell. It's occasionally alright and I do like the art, but... Lobdell.

ReiGun

what's the best superman title out? i read the 1st issue of Super Unchained and it was fairly decent...other than that i'm totally out of the loop
My Ranking (note: all of them are good):
Adventures of Superman
Action Comics (starting with Pak's current run)
Superman Unchained
Batman/Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman

Regular ol' "Superman" is great if you need to line your cat's litter.

ReiGun

Oh please you have it twisted

Superman is batting out of his league and Wonder Woman is settling because Batman wants nothing to do with her.

Have you seen her family? The environment she grew up in? Woman's clearly of poor upbringing. No wonder she dresses like a harlot. What Superman needs is a nice, Southern girl with good home values.

And of course Batman wants nothing to do with her. The only woman in his life is a sweet lady named Justice, and his sidechick Vengeance. And...Catwoman sometimes I guess.

Messi

Have you seen her family? The environment she grew up in? Woman's clearly of poor upbringing. No wonder she dresses like a harlot. What Superman needs is a nice, Southern girl with good home values.

And of course Batman wants nothing to do with her. The only woman in his life is a sweet lady named Justice, and his sidechick Vengeance. And...Catwoman sometimes I guess.

I... I can't.. I had a response but you killed me. I've been laughing for about 5 mins straight here.

I think not.

ReiGun

I think not.

See how classless this Amazonian hussy is? Assaulting a defenseless journalist. And I've no doubt she's exposed Superman to some variant of red kryptonite to get him on her side.

I hope she never gets a movie, lest she influence the young women of America to follow her example.

Oh please you have it twisted

Superman is batting out of his league and Wonder Woman is settling because Batman wants nothing to do with her.

Pretty much. Though to be fair, when has Bruce really ever wanted anything to do with anyone? His closest relationship is really with Alfred and that's…kind of sad.

ReiGun

Pretty much. Though to be fair, when has Bruce really ever wanted anything to do with anyone? His closest relationship is really with Alfred and that's…kind of sad.

Bruce is just holding out for someone willing to enable his insane lifestyle the way Alfred does. The only other women who give him the time of day either want to take over the world or eventually want a normal life and shit.

How do you guys decide how much of a chance to give a series?

Part of me believes that once I've decided to read past the first issue, I might as well give a book an arc to win me. Because sometimes it does seem to take even the best ongoings a full 4-6 issues (or more) to get the story off the ground.

But another part of me feels like the fact I'm toying with dropping something should be all I need to drop it. I have unread collections on the shelf and there are so many exciting books to make space for on the pull list. If I'm thinking of dropping something, I'm probably not enjoying it enough to keep it.

Part of me believes that once I've decided to read past the first issue, I might as well give a book an arc to win me. Because sometimes it does seem to take even the best ongoings a full 4-6 issues (or more) to get the story off the ground.

But another part of me feels like the fact I'm toying with dropping something should be all I need to drop it. I have unread collections on the shelf and there are so many exciting books to make space for on the pull list. If I'm thinking of dropping something, I'm probably not enjoying it enough to keep it.
It depends, for comic superstars I give them at least 18 issues, what is which I did for Saga until i dropped it. For others I feel compelled to support them so they can achieve stardom and have at least 18 issues purchased by me. For Pretty Deadly, which seems like ii was translated through several different languages then rewritten by Ann Noccenti before going to the presses, will get....I don't know how many issues.

ReiGun

A book has three issues to give me some reason to keep reading. Could be anything: a character, a plot point, dialogue, worldbuilding, whatever. Just something to get me invested in your story. I understand some things can be slow burns and all, but when some books can hook me in one issue, three should be more than enough to give me even a small reason to continue.

Exceptions are mini-series that are like six issue cause once I hit three I've already read half of the damn thing, and sometimes for series that has a concept or stars a character I really, really like (and the most I'll give those is five-six issues).

Village

Bruce is just holding out for someone willing to enable his insane lifestyle the way Alfred does. The only other women who give him the time of day either want to take over the world or eventually want a normal life and shit.

All they have to do is start giving bruce more free time, you know what would help?

Making Dick batman.

In order for Dick to become Bats that means Damian has to come back to be Dick's Robin…so basically fuck Grant Morrison.

Women who want normal lives are just clingy! She either has to be about the Bats, or about to get out of Bruce's car.

I don't drop series very often but a good indication when I should (and then do) is when a backlog is building up. If I have 2+ on the stack to read I know it doesn't have my attention. Some books can survive this period on the basis that I will get to them eventually.

If the first issue manages to grab me in some way, I end up picking up the first arc. That being said, this is no absolute rule. Many books I give up earlier and wait for the general response to it and others I stay with because I like the writer.

Also, if the week has ended and I still haven't mustered any interest in reading the next issue, that book is dropped.

ReiGun

Yes Spike, tell us who is better out of the college educated Putlizer Prize winning journalist and the jezebel raised in the jungle on an island of man-haters.

#TeamLois #YouCantGetInOurLane

arkon

I normally give a series 3 issues, unless the first issue is particularly poor. I put some of them on the tpb purchasing list and follow up on the reviews now and then to make sure I'm not missing out

Bii

1/29/14 list:

Fables #137
Furious #1
Black Science #3
Saga #18

Hopefully my LCS has the latter three available by the time I get there. I just checked what's releasing next week and my list is going to be huge.

I don't have a concrete way of how I drop a series; sometimes I'll give it a few issues, or if the series is going well and the next 2-3 issues does absolutely nothing for me, I drop it. I have dropped a few series that I may have to pick back up due to positive reviews (Batman/Superman, FBP, Zero, just to name a few).

Just a quick post to say Hello and sub'd!

Working away for a week or more at a time around once a month at the moment and have gained an interest in reading a lot more, including Comics. Have always enjoyed going to Comic Stores at random times(usually on holidays) and picking up some random stuff to read but never been consistent with it. Started reading The Walking Dead on my last trip away and I am now hooked on it. Also have Hawkeye ready to read.

Are tablet readers shunned upon here?

Dysun

My personal order of preference:

Superman/Wonder Woman
Action Comics
Adventures of Superman
Batman/Superman
Superman Unchained
Superman
I agree with the top two. I'd rank them

1) Superman / WW
2) Action Comics (Pak is doing great work here, it might even be #1)
3) Superman Unchained
4) Batman/Superman

Lobdell Superman is total trash. So happy he left Action Comics/Teen Titans/et al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom