• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfdmpig

Just a quick post to say Hello and sub'd!

Working away for a week or more at a time around once a month at the moment and have gained an interest in reading a lot more, including Comics. Have always enjoyed going to Comic Stores at random times(usually on holidays) and picking up some random stuff to read but never been consistent with it. Started reading The Walking Dead on my last trip away and I am now hooked on it. Also have Hawkeye ready to read.

Are tablet readers shunned upon here?

Nope. Tablet talk comes up from time to time. A good tablet with a nice screen is a great way to read comics, IMO. It'd be nice if the pricing was a bit better, however, considering how much less the cost must be when the physical item is taken out of the equation.

Owzers

a book gets however many issues i pre-order from dcbs until i decide to drop it. I usually just order the first issue of Image books i'm interested in and then buy the trade if i really like it. If i'm really sold on a book i'll go ahead and pre-order issues before i even read the first like with Black Science and Lazarus.

I hope Image values trade sales since i'm buying a lot of them Xo

DagsJT

Just a quick post to say Hello and sub'd!

Working away for a week or more at a time around once a month at the moment and have gained an interest in reading a lot more, including Comics. Have always enjoyed going to Comic Stores at random times(usually on holidays) and picking up some random stuff to read but never been consistent with it. Started reading The Walking Dead on my last trip away and I am now hooked on it. Also have Hawkeye ready to read.

Are tablet readers shunned upon here?

Nope, I'm a tablet reader using a Nook HD+ and having good fun discovering new comics suggested in here.

Nope. Tablet talk comes up from time to time. A good tablet with a nice screen is a great way to read comics, IMO. It'd be nice if the pricing was a bit better, however, considering how much less the cost must be when the physical item is taken out of the equation.

Can't argue with that. I currently use an iPad 4 retina so the resolution is beautiful, by far my favorite way to browse the web and especially GAF so it felt natural to continue this with books and comics.

I am still learning what the best apps etc are but yes, I hope to see some sales or something soon. TWD is a big series.

ReiGun

Wonder Woman seduced poor Steve Trevor so he'd help her escape her backwater island (and dodge her royal responsibilities, btw), then dumped the poor guy as soon as something better (aka, another lonely guy who couldn't be with the woman he really wanted) came along. Poor Trevor is letting his heart bleed all over a Forever Evil tie in and she couldn't care less. And even while she's with Superman, she's already eyeing up her next victim in Orion. That girl is poison.

This List brought to you by friends of Lois Lane:

Aquaman #27
Earth 2 Annual #2
Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S. #4
Black Science #3
Thor God Of Thunder #18

Pricing is the #1 factor keeping me away from digital comics. Physical copies are substantially cheaper.
Outside of marvel I just wait for the discounted prices a month or 2 later. This plus no sales tax creates a greater discount than any local shop could provide. Plus the 99 cent sales for back issues when they pop, no ads, and auto catalog make it a no brainer. It cuts down on my double dip of trade buying of series because I'd always misplace issues.

I hope Image values trade sales since i'm buying a lot of them Xo

Hahah for sure. I'm reading a good 9-10 Image books by trade right now, with another 4 by April, then a good 7-8 in addition by tears end. I'll be in excess of 20 Image books by year's end, They better value that.

I pretty much just give volume 1 of a book a go. If it impresses, I'll keep going, if not, it's done. I think that's a fair shake. If a writer or artist can't get it together by the end of the first storyline, there's not usually much point in carrying on.

NO WE NEED YOUR OPINION ON WHO IS THE BIGGER SLUT the classy Wonder Woman or that hussy Lois Lane.

HELP

Yes Spike, tell us who is better out of the college educated Putlizer Prize winning journalist and the jezebel raised in the jungle on an island of man-haters.

#TeamLois #YouCantGetInOurLane
...Fine. >:[

I'll play along.

DC will let Bruce gladly give it to every crazy, psychotic "femme fatale" -type he comes across on a dirty rooftop or alleyway; and yet, he's not allowed to stick his d*ck anywhere near the inside of Diana when she clearly, desperately wants it. That should tell you everything you need to know about what kind of special, next-level psycho Wonder Woman is. Lois Lane is the superior specimen, even a blind person can see that, and Diana is a walking, talking disaster that all would do well to avoid.

[/beinguglyandnotmeaningit]

Messi

Got to get this week because of the delay :

Black widow #2
Avengers #25
Deadly Class #1

New list :

Serenity #1
Furious #1
Batman and Robin Annual #2
Catwoman #27 (stop it, I know I shouldn't buy this, it's got to be good right? Right?)
BLack Science #3
Saga #18 :(
East of West #9
Thor #18

Edit: battered housewife is not a term I should be using. Sorry :(

Zomglist

Black Science #3
East of West #9
Saviors #2

Guardians of the Galaxy #11
Superior Spider-Man #26
Thor God of Thunder #18
Uncanny Avengers #16

Also Spike check your PM's -_-

#WondyBats5ever

Messi

The first Batman and Two face issue was something else.
Holy shit to that origin. The acid to the face Damn.
Still really enjoying this book post Damien. Tomasi writes good characters.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The first Batman and Two face issue was something else.
Holy shit to that origin. The acid to the face Damn.
Still really enjoying this book post Damien. Tomasi writes good characters.
He's great with character writing and I can't wait for the Ras Al Ghul arc coming up.

Superman's Friend ShinJohnpv's List

Aquaman #27
Batman And Robin Annual #2
Batman The Dark Knight #27
Damian Son Of Batman #4
Earth 2 Annual #2
Flash #27
Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S. #4
Green Lantern Corps Annual #2
Justice League Dark #27
Red Lanterns #27
Superman #27
Teen Titans #27
Worlds' Finest Annual #1

Parch

Pricing is the #1 factor keeping me away from digital comics. Physical copies are substantially cheaper.
Not if you have to pay international shipping costs.

I definitely think digital should be cheaper, but taking advantage of sales helps. There are a lot of positives about digital. Physical copies will always be around because of collectors, but I can see a fairly major popularity swing to digital being inevitable.

Furious #1

I'm kind of surprised a few other people besides me have this on their lists. I thought it looked interesting from the preview, but didn't expect anyone else to buy it. With the Star Wars license leaving Dark Horse, they're going to have to put their faith in other titles, so I'm interested in seeing what they come up with.

What attracted you guys to it?

I'm kind of surprised a few other people besides me have this on their lists. I thought it looked interesting from the preview, but didn't expect anyone else to buy it. With the Star Wars license leaving Dark Horse, they're going to have to put their faith in other titles, so I'm interested in seeing what they come up with.

Your list.

The art, the concept

What intrigued me about it at first was that it reminds me of an old Joe Keatinge project that still has yet to materialize. Last I heard, he's still planning on doing something with it.

brutal01.jpg

I saw it on your list. Saw that #1. Went to previews world and saw it was a 5 part mini and read the description and it sounded interesting. Put it on my list.

Messi

Heard about it a while back and it sounded like something I'd like to read so I said I'd give it a go. Didn't know it was a mini though.

There was a solid Furious mini/zero issue in Dark Horse Presents.

One of the many great things about that anthology is getting to preview upcoming Dark Horse series. I'm currently reading the Juice Squeezers mini series because of a great JS story in DHP. A one shot collecting the complete DHP story Nosferatu Wars will be dropping in March. It's beautiful and gothic: a story of a vampire couple. Gonna be picking that up for sure and recommending it to all.

There was a solid Furious mini/zero issue in Dark Horse Presents.

One of the many great things about that anthology is getting to preview upcoming Dark Horse series. I'm currently reading the Juice Squeezers mini series because of a great JS story in DHP. A one shot collecting the complete DHP story Nosferatu Wars will be dropping in March. It's beautiful and gothic: a story of a vampire couple. Gonna be picking that up for sure and recommending it to all.

I've only ever picked up one or two issues of DHP. Does it have a bunch of stories that continue from one issue to the next, or is it a bunch of one-and-done stand-alone stuff?

ElNarez

Banned
No cash, only CHECKS, by which I mean I am CHECKING IN with a LIST you will now CHECK out

ALL STAR WESTERN #27
AQUAMAN #27 (Again, this is following the issue where AQUAMAN DRIFTED WITH A MOTHERFUCKING KAIJU)
BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #2
EARTH 2 ANNUAL #2
FLASH #27
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #27
RED LANTERNS #27 (So no one told me this was the Best Lantern book starring the Best Lantern, shame)

BLACK SCIENCE #3
EAST OF WEST #9
SAGA #18
UBER #9
WWE ONGOING #2 (I know there is some crossover between this and Wrassle-GAF, so let me tell ya brother: this comic is Amazing. It's 20 pages of ALL YOUR FAVORITES doing ALL YOUR FAVORITE THINGS THOSE GUYS DO. Like, seriously, the way Mick Foley and co-writer Shane Riches manage to cram every dumb wrestling thing into the context of an average cops-and-robbers drama thing is A SIGHT TO BEHOLD. The art is so-so, but who the fuck cares when a vigilante CM Punk checks into Undertaker's tattoo parlor to try and enlist him in his war against Corrupt D.A. Randy Orton)

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #11
INHUMANITY #2 (I don't even know what the fuck, is it the Medusa one-shot or something else is it even a thing who the fuck knows)
MIRACLEMAN #2
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #18
THUNDERBOLTS #21
UNCANNY AVENGERS #16
UNCANNY X-FORCE #17 (So, Vendetta was uh, well, hey, I mean, hey, at least it's an ending? Whatever, Spurrier X-Force this February get hype)
X-MEN LEGACY #23 (It's time to get them feels y'all)

I've only ever picked up one or two issues of DHP. Does it have a bunch of stories that continue from one issue to the next, or is it a bunch of one-and-done stand-alone stuff?

It's mostly stories that continue from on issue to the next. There are one and dones and two-parters. But most will be 4, 6, even 8 parts. One of the current series, Alabaster Tales, is something like 12 parts.

Having never followed an anthology before, I wasn't sure what to expect going in. How I would find reading 10 bits of story in a row. But it's truly splendid. The series are varied and of such high quality to make it a rich read.

It's mostly stories that continue from on issue to the next. There are one and dones and two-parters. But most will be 4, 6, even 8 parts. One of the current series, Alabaster Tales, is something like 12 parts.

Is Alabaster Tales related to their stand-alone Alabaster Wolves series? They seem to occasionally have stories related to other books. I know The Massive had a story in DHP before the main series launched.

Inhumanity #2 is the Medusa one-shot, resolicited.

The List:

Marvel:
Guardians of the Galaxy #11.NOW
Miracleman #2
Night of the Living Deadpool #2 of 4
Revolutionary War: Knights of Pendragon #1
Superior Spider-Man #26
Uncanny Avengers #16
Uncanny X-Force #17

DC:
Earth-2 Annual #2

Others:
Furious #1 (Dark Horse) - BOOK OF THE WEEK
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1 of 5 (Dark Horse)
Army of Darkness vs. Hack/Slash #5 of 6 (Dynamite)
Star Trek Ongoing #29 (IDW)
Black Science #3 (Image)
Five Weapons #6 (Image)
Invincible #108 (Image)
Saga #18 (Image)

Owzers

After reading Deadly Class #1 i decided to get the book i was looking forward to the least over:

Amazing X-men #3: It's baffling that this book exists with the first arc it has, even worse than Uncanny Avengers' first arc. I think it will improve after this nightcrawler swashbuckling souls arc is over and they get past integrating Nightcrawler back to the regular marvel world, but I might drop it before that happens.

Parch

Anthologies used to be so popular. It's a good way for companies to try out new characters and stories without gambling on a individual title.

Dark Horse Presents keeps plodding along, but I rarely see anybody talking about it. Maybe I should actually try a copy.

arkon

Adventure Time 2014 Winter Special #1
Black Science #3
Bravest Warriors 2014 Annual #1
Dead Boy Detectives #2
East Of West #9
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #1
X-Men Legacy #23

Might get Flash #27 as well, but I need to catch up on the series first.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
With the Star Wars license leaving Dark Horse, they're going to have to put their faith in other titles, so I'm interested in seeing what they come up with.

Mike Richardson said Star Wars contributed less than 6% of their revenue last year, so it's really not that big a deal to them.

Well, we've known for a long time that Star Wars was going. We couldn't announce it until Lucasfilm was ready, and they picked the day of January 3, allowing us to get through the holidays without having to deal with it. But we've known this for a very long time as we've built our schedule. The thing that's a little bit irritating is hearing this talk of "Well, Dark Horse can't get by without Star Wars." Star Wars constituted less than 6% of our bottom line. We're talking a year in which we've had a sensational year. So we're fine without Star Wars.

The bigger blow here is not to our checkbook but to our psyche because we chased Star Wars originally because we were big time fanboys. We treated that as a very precious property, and it's sad to lose it. That's the sad part of it. But the financial part has very little effect on us.
Well, I'd just want to make it clear first when we talk about Star Wars that people have dramatically overestimated the financial impact it has on us. Dark Horse just had its best year it ever had -- and not by a small margin but by a large margin of 30%. We're the largest we've ever been, and we've actually been hiring people. With the different divisions of our company, publishing had a record year, the internet division had a record year, digital had a record year, and the product division that's our toy company had a record year. Led by things like "Game of Thrones" products, we can't even manufacture things fast enough there. Meanwhile, our film division has two projects ready to start shooting this year.
Dark Horse is ramping up that Project Black Sky superhero stuff and the new Alien/Predator/Prometheus line. That'll make up for Star Wars. But basically Dark Horse is going to be just fine.

Dark Horse is ramping up that Project Black Sky superhero stuff and the new Alien/Predator/Prometheus line. That'll make up for Star Wars. But basically Dark Horse is going to be just fine.

I'm interested in seeing how that stuff turns out. Hope it's good.

Is Alabaster Tales related to their stand-alone Alabaster Wolves series? They seem to occasionally have stories related to other books. I know The Massive had a story in DHP before the main series launched.

Google says, yes. Same author as Alabaster Wolves. The Dark Horse series is actually called Alabaster Boxcar Tales. I missed the first 4 or so parts so I definitely stepped in late but I've still found it quite riveting. In April, Dark Horse will be collecting it in HC under the title Alabaster: Grimmer Tales. (Written by Caitlin R. Kiernan, Art by Steve Leiber and colours by Rachelle Rosenberg).

I find that Dark Horse Presents frequently highlights their other series both new and old. The Strain was featured in a 4-parter recently. There is a Hellboy story now. But there is also a lot of playful, experimental stuff in there. Stuff that gives space to up and coming writers and artists to try their hand at this serialized big boy business.

Anthologies used to be so popular. It's a good way for companies to try out new characters and stories without gambling on a individual title.

Dark Horse Presents keeps plodding along, but I rarely see anybody talking about it. Maybe I should actually try a copy.

I reckon you should, mate. You admit to getting burned out on things rather quickly sometimes so this might be up your alley: lots of variety and everything ends.

DARK HORSE
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #1

DC
Batman And Robin Annual #2
Dead Boy Detectives #2
Earth 2 Annual #2
Fables #137
Flash #27
Red Lanterns #27 (DC's most entertaining book. Bring forth the stache.)

IDW
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #30

Black Science #3
Invincible #108
Saga #18

MARVEL
Avengers Assemble #23.INH
Cataclysm The Ultimates' Last Stand #4
Guardians Of The Galaxy #11.NOW (I give this book a last chance with this crossover. Bendis can't make this book matter to me.)
Inhumanity #2 (It can't be worse than #1... can it?)
Superior Spider-Man #26
Thor God Of Thunder #18 (Wasn't a fan of the last arc, specially the ending. But 'tis Young Thor's time to shine.)
Thunderbolts #21 (The other half of Soule's Red Renegades. Why aren't you all reading this??)
Uncanny Avengers #16
X-Men Legacy #23

Also, I finally finished my pile from last week:

-Snyder's run on Batman will be defined by the awesomeness of Zero Year.

-Remender will once again win the book of the month with a first issue. Deadly Class was superb.

-Zero #5. Ales Kot is killing it.

-I almost dropped Unwritten during the Fables "crossover". I'm glad I didn't because Apocalypse #1 was amazing.

-I'm gonna miss the FF. Hopefully they'll have a place somewhere soon. I ain't feeling the new F4 at all, I hope to be proven wrong.

-Chew will finally answer stuff. This issue was incredible.

-WatXM #40. Excellent issue that focused on what has always been the point of the book. This book deserves a grand finale.

-Invaders was an insta-drop. Couldn't finish it-

Dysun

List Wars

AQUAMAN #27
BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #2
FLASH #27
RED LANTERNS #27

GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #11
INHUMANITY #2
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #26
THOR GOD OF THUNDER #18
UNCANNY AVENGERS #16

Maybe/TBD:
FOREVER EVIL ARGUS #4
GREEN LANTERN CORPS ANNUAL #2
THUNDERBOLTS #21

Parch

Have my doubts about Dark Horse relying on superhero stuff. Pretty tough competition for that genre. I would prefer Dark Horse trying to be more like Image and let creator-owned do their thing instead of pushing a superhero line.

I get the occasional Star Wars mini, so losing that is concerning. Don't screw it up Marvel. I'm game for trying new Alien/Prometheus comics. Some of that old Alien/Predator stuff was fun.

Have my doubts about Dark Horse relying on superhero stuff. Pretty tough competition for that genre. I would prefer Dark Horse trying to be more like Image and let creator-owned do their thing instead of pushing a superhero line.

You know, it's not that the superhero genre is already crowded that's nagging at me. It's that a lot of the superhero genre is so stale. Superhero books only make up a relatively small portion of my monthly pulls. Outside of franchises like X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Batman and a few others, I have very little interest in capes books anymore. I just don't know how much more you can possibly do with them at this point.

WWE ONGOING #2 (I know there is some crossover between this and Wrassle-GAF, so let me tell ya brother: this comic is Amazing. It's 20 pages of ALL YOUR FAVORITES doing ALL YOUR FAVORITE THINGS THOSE GUYS DO. Like, seriously, the way Mick Foley and co-writer Shane Riches manage to cram every dumb wrestling thing into the context of an average cops-and-robbers drama thing is A SIGHT TO BEHOLD. The art is so-so, but who the fuck cares when a vigilante CM Punk checks into Undertaker's tattoo parlor to try and enlist him in his war against Corrupt D.A. Randy Orton)

that's all i needed to hear. that's all i ever wanted to hear.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Why? He left a huge opening for Damian to come back if DC ever decided to do it.

His whole thing was about the cyclical nature of comics; and he even said in interviews he left it intentionally open for other writers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I get the occasional Star Wars mini, so losing that is concerning. Don't screw it up Marvel. I'm game for trying new Alien/Prometheus comics. Some of that old Alien/Predator stuff was fun.

It sounds like they have a good amount of new creator-owned stuff coming as well, they just can't announce much yet. The whole interview is very interesting, lots of details about about their business model and outlook.
Overall, with the year 2014, we'll have announcements all year with exciting new creators -- both big name people coming to work on projects and a new creator-owned initiative.
Scott Allie: For me, the thing I think they'll be talking about at the end of the year is this new Mignola book we'll be launching in late 2014. When we figured this book out, we were like, "Why haven't we been doing this all along?" I think everyone will be saying it's an amazing title, and when they hear who's drawing it, they'll be going, "Holy crap. THAT guy is doing THAT title with Mignola for Dark Horse?"

His whole thing was about the cyclical nature of comics; and he even said in interviews he left it intentionally open for other writers.

That's what I am saying. AE was saying fuck Morrison for killing Damian even though he ended his run with Ra's stealing his body leaving an ounce of hope that he will come back.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I am saying. AE was saying fuck Morrison for killing Damian even though he ended his run with Ra's stealing his body leaving an ounce of hope that he will come back.

I know, I was backing you up.

Bii

Speaking of digital comics, I haven't been redeeming the ones included in Marvel's comics...I assume they have expiration dates and some of them have passed already? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom