• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Horse is going to be fine brahs, Im about to drop my whole tax refund on Hellboy/BRPD. Dat Walmart lifestyle.

All New Jnvaders was that bad? Haven't gotten to it yet. What power does GuruFX have over people?

ElNarez

Banned
All New Jnvaders was that bad? Haven't gotten to it yet. What power does GuruFX have over people?

His coloring is the worst, and he's ruining p. decent Pugh pencils. At least Robinson brings his neat concepts, Golden Age callbacks and he's doing due diligence addressing all the shit that went down in Remender's Secret Avengers with Jim Hammond

Cheska

Spent the evening catching up on stuff. Realized that I don't give a shit about bagging and boarding anymore, is that wrong? I ran out of stuff again and honestly the price of bags and boards adds up. I may just save them for #1 issues and then just file everything else away.

Spent the evening catching up on stuff. Realized that I don't give a shit about bagging and boarding anymore, is that wrong? I ran out of stuff again and honestly the price of bags and boards adds up. I may just save them for #1 issues and then just file everything else away.

You monster. What next, are you going to cut them into ribbons and tie them on the spokes of your bike?

I never cared about bags and boards. just another cost that piles up. I put them in longboxes unbagged sometimes, if i don't just leave piles lying around the floor. fuck taking care of my books, basically

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
After reading Deadly Class #1 i decided to get the book i was looking forward to the least over:

Amazing X-men #3: It's baffling that this book exists with the first arc it has, even worse than Uncanny Avengers' first arc. I think it will improve after this nightcrawler swashbuckling souls arc is over and they get past integrating Nightcrawler back to the regular marvel world, but I might drop it before that happens.

That stuff with Nightcrawler and Storm was lovely though. I never even read Nightcrawler as a character originally but it's giving me the good feels having him back.

I don't like how McGuiness has redesigned the bamfs though. They should be skinny and pointy, not round and chubby.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

One step away from digital, baby! It begins here. "I can't be arsed bagging these" "I can't be arsed filing these" "why is my house full of paper?"

One step away from digital, baby! It begins here. "I can't be arsed bagging these" "I can't be arsed filing these" "why is my house full of paper?"

I don't buy digital but their prices would make me pirate instead. I get angry just thinking about it. It's the dumbest shit how expensive digital is. Also, the haphazard nature of their library, like there is a random number generator that decides what issues and what series go digital. I just bought a full lot of Valor, the 90s Mon El run. Out of curiosity I checked the Comixology app. It's on there! But only issue #23. Lolwut.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't buy digital but their prices would make me pirate instead. I get angry just thinking about it. It's the dumbest shit how expensive digital is. Also, the haphazard nature of their library, like there is a random number generator that decides what issues and what series go digital. I just bought a full lot of Valor, the 90s Mon El run. Out of curiosity I checked the Comixology app. It's on there! But only issue #23. Lolwut.

Yeah, not so good for back issues certainly. For me it's cheaper than going to a store (UK here) and I don't have to travel a 3 hour round trip to my store each week. Bonus.

Plus my old shop was pretty much the shittiest shop ever, constantly missing books in the stack and run by a family where only the dad knew comics but never worked there, so I was dealing with well meaning and lovely old ladies who knew precisely fuck all about the books they were selling. Support good shops, ditch the crap ones.

PS: it's not pirating, it's 21st Century Byrne Stealing :p

Yeah, not so good for back issues certainly. For me it's cheaper than going to a store (UK here) and I don't have to travel a 3 hour round trip to my store each week. Bonus.

Plus my old shop was pretty much the shittiest shop ever, constantly missing books in the stack and run by a family where only the dad knew comics but never worked there, so I was dealing with well meaning and lovely old ladies who knew precisely fuck all about the books they were selling. Support good shops, ditch the crap ones.

PS: it's not pirating, it's 21st Century Byrne Stealing :p

I'm not even mad at digital. I think it's a wonderful compliment to the hobby or a great alternative for people that find it easier or cheaper due to location. But I really, really hate the pricing and the haphazard nature of it. It's a weird disconnect, maybe, that I can accept (some) digital things as acceptable. But it's like obscenity and how "you'll know it when you see it". I'd like to supplement my hobby with some digital dabbling but I just can't justify it when I can get it cheaper in print.

It'll get sorted some day.

Edit: I gotta learn to stop bitching about it so much. But my hate runs deep. :d

Blink Me

Anyone been reading that X files crossover with the Ghostbusters. I liked it. Also got the first 6 volumes of Charlie's War out the library been meaning to read that for a while.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone been reading that X files crossover with the Ghostbusters. I liked it. Also got the first 6 volumes of Charlie's War out the library been meaning to read that for a while.

Wow, 6 volumes of Charley's War is probably not going to be a fun packed night in. I think I've only read up until about where Mills but ISTR it became a bit more like Commando Comics after that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm not even mad at digital. I think it's a wonderful compliment to the hobby or a great alternative for people that find it easier or cheaper due to location. But I really, really hate the pricing and the haphazard nature of it. It's a weird disconnect, maybe, that I can accept (some) digital things as acceptable. But it's like obscenity and how "you'll know it when you see it". I'd like to supplement my hobby with some digital dabbling but I just can't justify it when I can get it cheaper in print.

It'll get sorted some day.

Edit: I gotta learn to stop bitching about it so much. But my hate runs deep. :d

I totally agree that it should be cheaper thanks to no distribution/physicality/retail shops but until the retail industry dies on it's arse (counting down the days...) I doubt that'll happen. As it is, simply not having reams of paper all over the place is good enough for me, as well as the pricing being roughly equivalent or a bit cheaper (eg, buying the single issues of that Rucka image book is cheaper than the trade etc)

Plus, digi is just way better to read :p no foldy paper, no reflections, no accidental rips.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Is it Legit Good or it is Licensed Book Good? Because the idea is super appealing to me but I've not had good experiences with licensed books at all. I tried that last big crossover they did a few years ago and remember being pretty disgusted with how bad it was.

Blink Me

Wow, 6 volumes of Charley's War is probably not going to be a fun packed night in. I think I've only read up until about where Mills but ISTR it became a bit more like Commando Comics after that.

Yeah I've already read bits of it over the years but I wanted to read it all. I still enjoy war comics like Commando, Victor and Warlord but some of the stuff in Battle seemed a bit less 2 dimensional.

Is it Legit Good or it is Licensed Book Good? Because the idea is super appealing to me but I've not had good experiences with licensed books at all. I tried that last big crossover they did a few years ago and remember being pretty disgusted with how bad it was.

Probably more Licensed Book Good. I just love crossovers though. Not really mind blowing or anything but better than Infestation which is the one I think you're talking about from a few years ago.

8bit

Knows the Score
Yeah I've already read bits of it over the years but I wanted to read it all. I still enjoy war comics like Commando, Victor and Warlord but some of the stuff in Battle seemed a bit less 2 dimensional.

Probably more Licensed Book Good. I just love crossovers though. Not really mind blowing or anything but better than Infestation which is the one I think you're talking about from a few years ago.

I intended to write 'where Mills left' but yeah, the early stuff is quite thoughtful and reflective on human nature, but later on it's quite a rote war comic.

Lombaszko

Just All-Star Western this week for me, and hopefully my shop will have last week's Wonder Woman too because they didn't last week.

I'll take the light week because I have a lot of back-issues I need to read and re-read.
Today I got caught up on the last two issues of Green Arrow, wow! Love the characters, love the world, and the art is incredible!

Also finally got around to reading the JLA Earth 2 hardcover. I really liked it, but no surprises because I'm a Morrison and Frank Quitely fan. That splash page with the airplane, whoo! It's a nice companion book to the Forever Evil stuff going on now and I like how Geoff Johns has tweaked some of the Crime Syndicate origins.

Quick question for other Morrison fans:
What series should I get as my next TP, Invisibles Vol1, The Filth, or Doom Patrol Vol1?
I guess Joe the Barbarian, or 18 Days too.

I've got all his Batman, All-Star Superman, We3, Action, Flex Mentallo (which is my favorite) and Happy.
Thanks!

8bit

Knows the Score
I always thought Mills wrote all of it didn't realise someone else took over.

Had to double check in case I was talking bollocks, the collected volumes are all the Pat Mills written works, but the WWII stuff was written by someone else. This isn't likely to be collected.

Just All-Star Western this week for me, and hopefully my shop will have last week's Wonder Woman too because they didn't last week.

I'll take the light week because I have a lot of back-issues I need to read and re-read.
Today I got caught up on the last two issues of Green Arrow, wow! Love the characters, love the world, and the art is incredible!

Also finally got around to reading the JLA Earth 2 hardcover. I really liked it, but no surprises because I'm a Morrison and Frank Quitely fan. That splash page with the airplane, whoo! It's a nice companion book to the Forever Evil stuff going on now and I like how Geoff Johns has tweaked some of the Crime Syndicate origins.

What series should I get as my next TP, Invisibles Vol1, The Filth, or Doom Patrol Vol1?

I've got all his Batman, All-Star Superman, We3, Action, Flex Mentallo (which is my favorite) and Happy.
Thanks!

Doom Patrol!

My one and only complaint with Green Arrow is the lack of playboy Ollie. C'mon, Lemire, throw me some kind of bone. I need an Ollie with a love interest.

Blink Me

Had to double check in case I was talking bollocks, the collected volumes are all the Pat Mills written works, but the WWII stuff was written by someone else. This isn't likely to be collected.

Oh right didn't realise there was ever a WW2 version. Its good that some of the Battle stories are collected anyway since a lot of the other IPC comics seem to have been forgotten about.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Thanks!

Invisibles! Def read it before The Filth which I think is kinda its diseased stillborn twin.

tim1138

Thanks!

I'll add a couple you didn't list: Animal Man or Seven Soldiers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Good to know, thanks. Yeah, I've never heard anyone talk about The Filth so I wasn't sure.

Totally forgot! Thanks, that Animal Man omnibus is mighty tempting...

The Filth is amazing, but it's like a super condensed version of the Invisibles and as such is a super dense and fucked up read. IMO you're best suited going through Morrison's work chronologically, he develops and iterates on themes throughout his career more than most writers IMO.

The Filth is amazing, but it's like a super condensed version of the Invisibles and as such is a super dense and fucked up read. IMO you're best suited going through Morrison's work chronologically, he develops and iterates on themes throughout his career more than most writers IMO.

And then his Action Comics run happens.

Just curious, what didn't you like about the Action run? I thought it was pretty amazing considering it was the re-launch of Superman, and he fit all those interesting characters and themes within 18 issues.

Mostly the absolute incoherence of the 5th Dimension stuff. The initial Jeans and Tshirt Superman was great, but once you have the Superman Revenge Squad moving into and living in his brain, you've entered a whole new level of "wut". Not even the Legion could save it. Then you top it off with, like, asking the children of the world to believe in faeries to beat the 5th Dimensional Entity?

8bit

Knows the Score

Just to Moore it up a bit, I didn't like The Filth much. Maybe it was because I read it monthly but other than the art I don't remember a lot of it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mostly the absolute incoherence of the 5th Dimension stuff. The initial Jeans and Tshirt Superman was great, but once you have the Superman Revenge Squad moving into and living in his brain, you've entered a whole new level of "wut". Not even the Legion could save it. Then you top it off with, like, asking the children of the world to believe in faeries to beat the 5th Dimensional Entity?

I liked how retardo BIG everything became by the finale, but the art really really let the series down in a big way. Terrible stuff imo. I'm a sucker for 5th dimensional craziness though.

Just to Moore it up a bit, I didn't like The Filth much. Maybe it was because I read it monthly but other than the art I don't remember a lot of it.

The Filth is super hard to 'like', but I appreciate it for the arc of completely dragging a character through hell and coming out cleansed, I found that really cathartic and powerful. And I loved that Scottish woman's accent. and the 2d univserse. And the massive killer spunk.

Lombaszko

Fair enough, I totally get that "wut" feeling after reading the first arc, which has lots of action, then expecting similar Superman being Superman stories going forward but the plot is kind of out of his hands and he takes a backseat.

Fair enough, I totally get that "wut" feeling after reading the first arc, which has lots of action, then expecting similar Superman being Superman stories going forward but the plot is kind of out of his hands and he takes a backseat.

I don't know but when I was reading Morrison's later Action Comics, I was pretty much staring at it going, "Yep, these sure are words on panels on a page in a book."

I can handle weird comic stories, I mean, they can be pretty dumb, especially the older ones, but. Yeah.

I'm pretty much on record for having a lot of problems with Morrison. I like his more grounded stuff but find him occasionally insufferable when he gets "out there". But then I also love him as an orator, he is fascinating to listen to.

Yea I gave up on that. I have some for special things like covers I really liked maybe.A lot of the ones that come with codes I just leave around for my kid to do whatever, screw it. I wish DC did that, he used to sneak off with anything Damian was in so I've probably lost some of those. He takes my Harleys also so I might have to just double buy those or get the trade.

Hawkeye changes

HAWKEYE #17 will now feature interior art by Chris Eliopoulos. This title was originally solicited with art by David Aja.

HAWKEYE #18 will now feature interior art by Annie Wu. This title was originally solicited with art by Chris Eliopoulos.

HAWKEYE #19 will now feature interior art by David Aja. This title was originally solicited with art by Annie Wu.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why is Aja so slow? Does he draw photoreal and then painstakingly rub out all the lines or something? He's incredible and his sense of proportion and body language is second to none but shit... there's not that much on the page, work faster ya lazy bum

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Thanks!

I'll add a couple you didn't list: Animal Man or Seven Soldiers.

Animal Man is a must, and the omnibus is small, beautiful, and contains the entire run, so it's worth the money.

Seven Soldiers is excellent and truly is a major event that is self-contained and stars unknown heroes. Read it if only for Klarion the Witch Boy. And Frankenstein.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is a must-read if you enjoy Morrison's Batman stuff. It's his first Batman-anything, and holy fuckballs, is it great and boundary-pushing.

Nobody should ever dive into The Filth without having combed the depths of The Invisibles. It'd be like diving into an ocean with no prior swimming experience. Also, the ocean is filled with aquatic bears who are both angry and horny.

Yeah, reading his stuff as he produced it brings about the leit-motifs that are consistent throughout his work and allows you to both understand and appreciate how he's developing them. The Invisibles is pretty much a rosetta stone for everything that comes after, but it's a very tough read in the beginning. The Arcadia arc is super rough and not in any way encouraging of new readers to stick with it. That said, stick with it, do your research, try to get your hands on the original letters columns written by Morrison himself, and open your damn mind.

list!

Aquaman #27
Batman And Robin Annual #2
Beware The Batman #4
Flash #27
Justice League Dark #27
Red Lanterns #27
Worlds' Finest Annual #1

L'il Sonja #1

Superior Spider-Man #26
Uncanny Avengers #16

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nobody should ever dive into The Filth without having combed the depths of The Invisibles. It'd be like diving into an ocean with no prior swimming experience. Also, the ocean is filled with aquatic bears who are both angry and horny.

Yeah, reading his stuff as he produced it brings about the leit-motifs that are consistent throughout his work and allows you to both understand and appreciate how he's developing them. The Invisibles is pretty much a rosetta stone for everything that comes after, but it's a very tough read in the beginning. The Arcadia arc is super rough and not in any way encouraging of new readers to stick with it. That said, stick with it, do your research, try to get your hands on the original letters columns written by Morrison himself, and open your damn mind.

I never realised Arcadia was so badly thought of until way after I'd read it. I read it at about 16/17 and figured this must be what adult comics are like. I dug the inclusion of De Sade and I dug the baddie with no face. On retrospect that arc is very Sandman indeed innit. I think the book really gets going towards the end of that first volume with KM being tortured and the old ones returning. Always loved how fucked up those Lovecraftian monsters would get, so gross.

I need to track down those lettercols for sure, it would be fascinating to read the reactions to it as it was happening. I might just see if I can Digitally Byrne Steal(tm) them since I have all the trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom