• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 was entertaining, intentionally or not. Sogood.gif/wink, peter dance, Jonah, Sandman transformation, a couple good action sequences, Bruce Campbell, etc. ASM was the blandest cookie cutter made-by-committee franchise filmmaking I saw all 2012.

Vibranium

Banned
3 was entertaining, intentionally or not. Sogood.gif/wink, peter dance, Jonah, Sandman transformation, a couple good action sequences, Bruce Campbell, etc. ASM was the blandest cookie cutter made-by-committee franchise filmmaking I saw all 2012.

Exactly, Raimi at least made a cheesy bad movie that was memorable, I saw 3 on TV a couple of weeks ago and I still remember grinning ear to ear on the "So good" line.

Sony needs to get new CG people for future Spider-Man movies too, ASM just had some awful sequences. They should have went with "beast" Lizard, he was in their concept art but never got past that unfortunately.

Owzers

I liked Spider-Man 2...but i don't like that entire franchise and Amazing Spider-man was indeed forgettable vs Spidey 3's awfulness.

I saw the new Wolverine movie a couple days ago, reminded me of Elektra.

Jintor

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where this comes from and if it's available in trade paperback form?

tumblr_my37vsgaaB1s7fxfzo1_500.jpg

It's Joker rambling about Robin(s). I'm curious.

I far prefer Garfield to Maguire as Peter Parker, but he has less to work with. Amazing was better than 3, 2 was still the high point.

fallingdove

Just bought 6GG at the recommendation of GAF. If it is anywhere close to the hype in this thread, it should be pretty great.

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where this comes from and if it's available in trade paperback form?

IDK about the trade, but that's Robin #85. Pete Woods artwork there, Chuck Dixon scripting. Dixon done a lot of hackwork, but he's one of the best Joker writers.

Cheska

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent this week! I loved the
Gamora/Angela moments, so good!

Rocket Girl was okay, was expecting a little more after how impressive the earlier issues have been.

Still making my way through the pile, we we're playing that Legendary Marvel card building game last night, so I got a little distracted.

Man, there's no way I'd be able to match up with your guys' pull lists. Impressive. Don't have the money to follow so many titles.

Here's what I get every month:

- Hawkeye (Marvel)
- FBP (Vertigo)
- The Wake (Vertigo Miniseries)
- American Vampire (Vertigo)
- Black Widow (Marvel, starts up this week)
- Punisher (Marvel, starts up next month)
- Superior Foes of Spider-Man
- Sex Criminals

There's a bunch of titles that I wanna check out on TPB down the line, like Saga and Daredevil.

Today I picked up Francesco Francavilla's The Black Beetle. It seems to have gotten a ton of great reviews, and I've always loved Francavilla's art. Haven't read it yet, but pretty excited.

Oh, you guys are done comparing pull lists?

ON THE LIST! (as in, these books are on the list and pulled for me unless I cancel them):
Afterlife with Archie (Archie), Amazing X-Men (Marvel), Avengers (Marvel), Black Science (Image), Captain America (Marvel), Conan the Barbarian (Dark Horse; may drop when Wood leaves); Daredevil (Marvel; relaunching soon, will re-up), Day Men (BOOM!), FF (Marvel; ending soon); Hawkeye (Marvel), Hellboy In Hell (Dark Horse), Justice League 3000 (DC), Lazarus (Image), New Avengers (Marvel), The Punisher (Marvel; starts February), Satellite Sam (Image), Sex (Image), She-Hulk (Marvel; starts February), Thor God of Thunder (Marvel), Uncanny Avengers (Marvel), Velvet (Image), Wolverine and the X-Men (Marvel; relaunching soon, might re-up), Young Avengers (Marvel; ending soon)

OFF THE RACK! (as in, these books are bought off the rack if the mood strikes me to buy them, and not if the mood strikes me not to):
Alex+Ada (Image), Avengers Assemble (Marvel), Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight (Dark Horse), Clown Fatale (Dark Horse), Powerpuff Girls (IDW), Samurai Jack (IDW), The Saviors (Image), Sex Criminals (Image), The Shadow: Year One (Dynamite)

LIST TRYOUTS! (as in, these are upcoming books I'll buy the first issue of and see how I like them or don't like them):
All-New Ghost Rider (Marvel; starts March), Black Widow (Marvel; starts January), Captain Marvel (Marvel; starts March), Deadly Class (Image; starts January), Furious (Dark Horse; starts January), Loki Agent of Asgard (Marvel; starts February), Moon Knight (Marvel; starts March), Ms. Marvel (Marvel; starts February), Silver Surfer (Marvel; starts March)

EDIT:

ALL DAY EVERY DAY! (as in, all day and every day):
Empowered (Dark Horse)... seriously, Dark Horse, where's my Emp statue?

Slizz

Today I picked up Francesco Francavilla's The Black Beetle. It seems to have gotten a ton of great reviews, and I've always loved Francavilla's art. Haven't read it yet, but pretty excited.

Francavilla+Black+Beetle+No+Way+Out+Dark+Horse+Comics.jpg

..... and another to add to my ever growing list. Sex Criminals this week. Hopefully Nowhere Men 7 is actually out in Feb too.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Here's mine, amazing how many valiant and new 52 books I've dropped.

DC
  • Batman
  • The Wake

Marvel
  • Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • Uncanny Avengers
  • Daredevil
  • Captain America
  • Superior Spider-Man
  • Hawkeye
  • Uncanny X-Men -probably dropping soon
  • All-New X-Men
  • X-Men Legacy

• Black Science
  • Saga
  • Velvet
  • Sex Criminals
  • Lazarus
  • Rat Queens
  • Nowhere Men
  • Thief of Thieves
  • Zero
  • Alex+Ada
  • East of West
  • Fatale
  • Mind MGMT - dark horse I know haha
  • Prophet
  • Morning Glories - moving to trades

Valiant
  • Quantum and Woody -prob dropping soon

Will be very interesting to compare this list in JAN 2014.

Messi

Oh, you guys are done comparing pull lists?

ON THE LIST! (as in, these books are on the list and pulled for me unless I cancel them):
Afterlife with Archie (Archie), Amazing X-Men (Marvel), Avengers (Marvel), Black Science (Image), Captain America (Marvel), Conan the Barbarian (Dark Horse; may drop when Wood leaves); Daredevil (Marvel; relaunching soon, will re-up), Day Men (BOOM!), FF (Marvel; ending soon); Hawkeye (Marvel), Hellboy In Hell (Dark Horse), Justice League 3000 (DC), Lazarus (Image), New Avengers (Marvel), The Punisher (Marvel; starts February), Satellite Sam (Image), Sex (Image), She-Hulk (Marvel; starts February), Thor God of Thunder (Marvel), Uncanny Avengers (Marvel), Velvet (Image), Wolverine and the X-Men (Marvel; relaunching soon, might re-up), Young Avengers (Marvel; ending soon)

OFF THE RACK! (as in, these books are bought off the rack if the mood strikes me to buy them, and not if the mood strikes me not to):
Alex+Ada (Image), Avengers Assemble (Marvel), Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight (Dark Horse), Clown Fatale (Dark Horse), Powerpuff Girls (IDW), Samurai Jack (IDW), The Saviors (Image), Sex Criminals (Image), The Shadow: Year One (Dynamite)

LIST TRYOUTS! (as in, these are upcoming books I'll buy the first issue of and see how I like them or don't like them):
All-New Ghost Rider (Marvel; starts March), Black Widow (Marvel; starts January), Captain Marvel (Marvel; starts March), Deadly Class (Image; starts January), Furious (Dark Horse; starts January), Loki Agent of Asgard (Marvel; starts February), Moon Knight (Marvel; starts March), Ms. Marvel (Marvel; starts February), Silver Surfer (Marvel; starts March)

I don't see Harley. I thought we were friends.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Here is my pull list:

• American Vampire
  • Black Science
  • Captain America
  • Constantine
  • East of West
  • Green Arrow
  • Hawkeye
  • Hellboy in Hell
  • Samurai Jack
  • Thor
  • Uncanny Avengers
  • The Wake
  • X-Men
  • Zero

Upcoming books:

• All New Invaders
  • All New X-Factor
  • Avengers Undercover
  • Deadly Class
  • Inhumanity
  • Winter Soldier: The Bitter March
  • Southern Bastards
  • Moon Knight

Ephidel

Typing this up has reinforced my belief that I really should cut down :|

• Uber
Boom
  • Suicide Risk
Dark Horse
  • Conan the Barbarian (ending/creative switch)
  • Massive
  • Mind Mgmt

Trialing: Furious (5 issue series, starts Jan)
DC
  • Batman Lil Gotham
  • Coffin Hill (trialing first arc)
  • DC vs the Masters of the Universe (6 issues, ends March?)
  • Federal Bureau of Physics
  • He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
  • Hinterkind (trialing first arc)
  • Justice League 3000 (trialing first few issues)
  • Larfleeze
  • Sandman Overture (6 issues)
  • Trillium (8 issues, ends April)

Trialing: The Discipline (if it ever comes out)... and maybe Suiciders (ditto).
    Trade waiting: Flash (might drop once Manapul and Bucellato are done), Wonder Woman. And 'The Wake if that Part One thing counts as a trade.
Dynamite
  • Robotech / Voltron
    Trialing: The Twilight Zone
  • Aphrodite IX
  • Black Science
  • Cyber Force (may drop)
  • Fuse (starts Feb)
  • Great Pacific
  • Nowhere Men
  • Pretty Deadly (trialing first arc)
  • Rat Queens (trialing first arc)
  • Saga
  • Sex Criminals (trialing first arc)
  • Tales of Honor (starts March)
  • Think Tank (ending? There's an issue this month that says conclusion, but that might just be the end of an arc? Then there's a one-shot in March)
  • Three (trialing first arc)
  • Umbral
  • Velvet (may switch to trade waiting)
  • Zero

Trialing: Deadly Class, Sovereign
    Trade Waiting: Ravine (although I don't think it really counts as 'trade waiting' when that's the only way it's released)
Marvel
  • All-New X-Factor
  • Avengers
  • Captain Marvel (re-starts March)
  • Hawkeye
  • Inhumanity: Medusa (oneshot)
  • Loki Agent of Asgard (starts Feb)
  • Mighty Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • Revolutionary War (8 issues)
  • Wolverine and the X-Men (ending Feb)
  • X-Men (dropping)
  • X-Men Legacy (ending Feb)
  • Young Avengers (ending Jan)

Trialing: Avengers World (This week), All-New Ghost Rider (March), Black Widow (also this week), Secret Avengers (March), Wolverine and the X-Men (relaunching March), X-Force (Feb)

I'm waiting on Cap #16.Now and UA #18.Now to try those series.
I'll also be picking up more Thor at some point as I enjoyed it during the comixology sale - I might pick up the hardcovers that have the digital codes, actually.​
Oni
  • Letter 44

I intend to read the Wasteland Apocalyptic Editions but I only bought the first so far.
Rebellion
  • 2000AD
    Sometimes: Judge Dredd Megazine
Valiant
  • Archer & Armstrong
  • Bloodshot and HARD Corps
  • Eternal Warrior
  • Unity
  • X-O Manowar (for the Unity tie-in issues)

Messi

Damn those Requiem issues in Batman & Robin are heavy :( . Really great book though. Very curious to see how it progresses beyond this as it all feels like one narrative right now which I am really enjoying. I have read upto and including #19. Maybe my favourite bat book I've read from the new 52.

Here's my physical pull list from earlier in the thread:

• Batman
  • Harley Quinn
  • Adventure Time
  • Black Science
  • East of West
  • Lazarus
  • Pretty Deadly
  • Sex Criminals
  • Velvet
  • Zero
  • Trillium
Still buying a ton of stuff digitally along with those oh so good Comixology sales.

maybe?

Red Sonja
Legends of Red Sonja

Dark Horse
Itty Bitty Hellboy
Star Wars Legacy
Empowered

Pretty Deadly (probably jumping to trade)
Rat Queens (probably jumping to trade)
Sex Criminlas
Umbral

DC
Adventures of Superman
All Star Western
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman and
Batman Lil Gotham
Batwoman
Beware the Batman
Flash
Forever Evil
Forever Evil Arkham
Forever Evil Rogues
Green Lantern
Harley Quinn
JL
JLA
JL Dark
JL 3000
Nightwing
Pandora
Scribblenauts
Supergirl
Superman/Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
World's Finest

Marvel:
Black Widow
Daredevil
FF
Fantastic Four
She-Hulk
Superior Spiderman
Superior Foes of Spiderman
X-Factor
All New X-men
Amazing X-men
X-men
Uncanny X-men
Uncanny Avengers
Wolverine and the X-men

Trades:
East of West
Lazarus
Revival
Fable
Fairest
Hellboy
Rachel Rising
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Hawkeye

Bandette

Pull List (33 total 14 limited series 19 ongoing)

Dark Horse
Bloodhound: Crowbar Medicine
Dark Horse Presents
Furious
Grindhouse Doors Open at Midnight
Juice Squeezers

DC
Trillium

IDW
Wild Blue Yonder
Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland

A Voice in the Dark
Drumheller
East of West (might drop at 10)
Fuse, The
Lazarus
Minimum Wage (one arc trial)
Pretty Deadly (one arc trial)
Rat Queens
Saga (trade-wait)
Umbral (one arc trial)
Velvet
Walking Dead (trade-wait)
Zero (will drop at 5)

Dynamite
Army of Darkness VS Hack/Slash
Legends of Red Sonja
(Gail Simone's) Red Sonja

Boom
Day Men
Imagine Agents

Other
Atomic Robo Savage Sword of Dr. Dinosaur (Red 5)
Farlaine The Goblin (Farlaine Studios)
Mercy Sparx (Devil's Due)
Private Eye (Panel Syndicate)
The Outliers (Alternative Comics)
Scratch 9 (HermesPress)
Watson and Holmes (New Paradigm)

Dysun

My pull list after some trimming

DC
Aquaman
Batman
Batman and...
Batman Superman
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League of America
Superman Unchained
Superman Wonder Woman
The Flash
+Forever Evil

Marvel
Avengers
New Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
All New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Wolverine and the X-Men
X-Men
Amazing X-Men
Superior Spider-Man
Superior Spider-Man Team Up
Captain America
Thor God of Thunder
Hawkeye

Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, but I have not had luck trying to extrapolate an answer from the internet.

Can someone explain Superman Unchained to me? Where does it fit within the continuity of the New 52 Superman mythos? I understand that Action Comics is supposed to be 5 years prior to the Superman series flagship but where does Superman Unchained come in? Is it just side stories happening concurrently with the flagship title?

Guardians of the Galaxy was excellent this week! I loved the
Gamora/Angela moments, so good!

Rocket Girl was okay, was expecting a little more after how impressive the earlier issues have been.

Guardians, yes. Rocket Girl... eh. I don't think it ever really sold me on the story. I might be dropping this one soon.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Damn those Requiem issues in Batman & Robin are heavy :( . Really great book though. Very curious to see how it progresses beyond this as it all feels like one narrative right now which I am really enjoying. I have read upto and including #19. Maybe my favourite bat book I've read from the new 52.

Messi, you're a fucking conundrum. I want to dislike you for your championing of Harley Quinn but now I want to love you for the Batman and Robin love.

But seriously, this fucking book needs so much more attention, especially because it was able to power through two of Snyder's overblown events and maintain its quality. Peter Tomasi got Damian and the relationship between Bruce and Damian damn well.

You guys are nuts. so many comics just off a pull list. I think my wife would kill me if I bought that many comics every month.
I'll find a way to get away with it one day

Trades-wise I follow things like ...Wasteland

I intend to read the Wasteland Apocalyptic Editions but I only bought the first so far.[/list]

Enjoying everybodys lists, a few nice surprises so far too. Nice to see some peeps read Wasteland, it literally never gets discussed, nor reviewed even really on the popular websites etc.! Arkon, how do you feel about Mitten coming back to illustrate the final arc man? Pretty unbelievable imo. Greenwood is getting better and better, but I always thought the book lost it's visual wow factor when Mitten left. To hear he's returning to see it all end, music to my ears.

Ephidel, would love to know you're thoughts on that volume when you've read it. I wish the regular trades had the walking the dust prose stuff in em :(

Fuse, The
Umbral (one arc trial)

You'll love these Maq, Johnston writes really strong women characters, you'd love Wasteland come to think of it. One of the two main characters is female and like I said, Johnston writes great characters full stop, regardless of gender.

Synder was on twitter one day tossing around the idea of having a black Robin. I want that sooooooooo much.

However they decide upon a new Robin I don't envy the person responsible. It's going to be hard to make it feel organic if time and care aren't taken in the crafting.

However they decide upon a new Robin I don't envy the person responsible. It's going to be hard to make it feel organic if time and care aren't taken in the crafting.

Realistically it would have to take quite a while for it to feel realistic...like multiple years... unless they re-used Tim's gimmick of "You don't want a Robin but I figured your shit out so you're stuck with me."

Maybe some villain deliberately creates a Robin just to fuck with Bruce...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom