• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

MU Report

Finished Nova 1-5: I expected worse from Loeb, but it is a fun, basic story.

Started Avengers Arena, 1-4: Still am not a fan of the Hunger Games premise, but it is as good as people were making it out to be earlier when i was grumbling.

I don't know how I feel about The Midas Flesh yet. The story hasn't really sone anything yet. The paper was great though.

I want to thank everyone that joined me on the adventures with Vibe. I never thought it would happen and even though it was short, the memories were big. Thank you comics superstar Geoff Johns.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Man, my pull list has been tiny the last few weeks. Like 2-3 comics max. Kind of sucks that I'm blasting through all of my pulls in like 20 minutes.

Man, my pull list has been tiny the last few weeks. Like 2-3 comics max. Kind of sucks that I'm blasting through all of my pulls in like 20 minutes.

Because of Christmas/New Years, or because your pull list is small in general? You can fix one of those easy. ;)

The issue of "finishing" a weekly reading is another facet I find interesting. I will often must read about half of my pulls and then sprinkle the rest throughout the rest of the week. In the rare situation that I finish my backlog I have some Archives (mostly Legion) that I catch up on.

It's my birthday, I'm 90 miles away from home at a hotel for my jobs continuing education. I'm going to miss the Bengals game but I can still do list right?

Action Comics 27
Batman B&W 5
Batman Superman 7
Detective Comics 27
FE Arkham War 4
Green Arrow 27
X Files 8
Fatale 19
Morning Glories 36
Sex Criminals 4
Black Widow 1

It's my birthday

Happy birthday brah. Sucks that you have to be away from home for it. But a mighty fine list is a good substitute for hearth and family.

Personally decided to cut Batman B&W. I've enjoyed it but had to purge some of my list somehow.

Going to be curious to see how Black Widow reviews. I almost, almost ignored my no-Marvel policy to check it out. They are starting to tempt me with a few non-bullshit looking titles. So I may cherry pick one or two.

Happy birthday brah. Sucks that you have to be away from home for it. But a mighty fine list is a good substitute for hearth and family.

Personally decided to cut Batman B&W. I've enjoyed it but had to purge some of my list somehow.

Going to be curious to see how Black Widow reviews. I almost, almost ignored my no-Marvel policy to check it out. They are starting to tempt me with a few non-bullshit looking titles. So I may cherry pick one or two.

Thanks!

Yeah, figure I'll try it out. Let's see how it stacks up to the likes of Lazarus and Velvet which I both enjoy.

I want to see you guys' full pull lists at some point, as in every book you guys follow. I can't be hassled going through the last 4/5 weeks and piecing them together for each person, and it still wouldn't account for what you read by trade. It would be handy to see what folks have most in common with my reading habits though. Whether you read monthly, or by trade, everyone should put up what you're reading and what you think you'll be adding from the stuff coming this year. In its own thread if need be.

And happy birthday KD, still jealous of your epic statue :)

Also kind of interested in a few marvel books. I could see myself with Hawkeye, Punisher, BW and Kot's Secret Avengers by year end in a little marvel reading list.

Owzers

Chargers/Bengals seems like the worst of all playoff games...that Rivers/Dalton rivalry!

...and happy birthday!

Tizoc

Hellboy OT'll be up soon @_@

Dark Horse's App takes some getting used to but I think i can manage.

Thanks!

Yeah, figure I'll try it out. Let's see how it stacks up to the likes of Lazarus and Velvet which I both enjoy.
Happy birthday brah

I want to see you guys' full pull lists at some point, as in every book you guys follow. I can't be hassled going through the last 4/5 weeks and piecing them together for each person, and it still wouldn't account for what you read by trade. It would be handy to see what folks have most in common with my reading habits though. Whether you read monthly, or by trade, everyone should put up what you're reading and what you think you'll be adding from the stuff coming this year. In its own thread if need be.

And happy birthday KD, still jealous of your epic statue :)

Also kind of interested in a few marvel books. I could see myself with Hawkeye, Punisher, BW and Kot's Secret Avengers by year end in a little marvel reading list.
Seeing everyone's pull list would be interesting.

You know, I've always wanted a mod who read comics anyways.

I was hoping that was gonna be me one day.
LLShC.gif

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone.

I read L&K Omega 1-5 last night which leaves Alpha 1-2 left and this is easily my favorite indie book ever. I would love to see a movie adaption.

Owzers

Avengers Arena....through issue 6...is really good. Surprise of the whateveryear. Hopeless does a great job in making the characters rise above just the premise. It's a well-written book that inserts character backstory in concentrated bursts each issue.

I can't stand the villain guy though
Arcade. I hateeeee when villains get into magical super powered untouchable mode

Toa TAK

Banned
Read through the first volume of Superior Spider-Man. Really digging it so far.

I can do without so much Ghost Peter Parker, as it's pretty great seeing how Doc Ock handles being Spider-Man with a bit of an iron fist.

Picking up the next two volumes soon. Can't wait to see how he'll handle the Green Goblin.

Avengers Arena....through issue 6...is really good. Surprise of the whateveryear. Hopeless does a great job in making the characters rise above just the premise. It's a well-written book that inserts character backstory in concentrated bursts each issue.

I can't stand the villain guy though
Arcade. I hateeeee when villains get into magical super powered untouchable mode

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Glad to see someone else enjoying this great series. Undercover can't come soon enough.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Because of Christmas/New Years, or because your pull list is small in general? You can fix one of those easy. ;)

The issue of "finishing" a weekly reading is another facet I find interesting. I will often must read about half of my pulls and then sprinkle the rest throughout the rest of the week. In the rare situation that I finish my backlog I have some Archives (mostly Legion) that I catch up on.

Xmas/New Years. I pull plenty, just not a lot out the last few weeks.

Jesus christ haha. Like I said, maybe a separate thread that could be linked in the OT might be in order for some of you.

Repent and cry out to whatever Gods you worship for you are responsible for everything that happens from here on in, Mr. Whalberg.

Current Monthly Pull List

DC:
  • FOREVER EVIL
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
  • THE PHANTOM STRANGER
  • CONSTANTINE
  • PANDORA
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK
  • FOREVER EVIL: A.R.G.U.S.
  • FOREVER EVIL: ARKHAM WAR
  • FOREVER EVIL: ROGUES REBELLION
  • SUICIDE SQUAD
  • AQUAMAN
  • THE FLASH
  • GREEN ARROW
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000
  • WONDER WOMAN
  • EARTH 2
  • WORLDS' FINEST
  • SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN
  • ACTION COMICS
  • SUPERMAN
  • SUPERGIRL
  • SUPERBOY
  • BATMAN/SUPERMAN
  • HARLEY QUINN
  • BATMAN
  • BATGIRL
  • BIRDS OF PREY
  • NIGHTWING
  • BATMAN AND ...
  • BATWOMAN
  • TALON
  • RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS
  • GREEN LANTERN
  • GREEN LANTERN CORPS
  • GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS
  • RED LANTERNS
  • THE MOVEMENT
  • TEEN TITANS
  • ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
  • BATMAN BEYOND UNIVERSE
  • LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT

IMAGE:
  • SAGA
  • BLACK SCIENCE

DYNAMITE:
  • RED SONJA
  • LEGENDS OF RED SONJA

Vibranium

Banned
That's nothing, Rafa buys almost every book every month.

Does he actually buy them all though? You can have a big pull-list through many different means.

My list:

Velvet (Aww yeah)
Fatale
Black Science (I'll keep reading it despite my thoughts)
Saga
Invincible

Marvel:

Captain America
Thor God of Thunder
Hawkeye
Daredevil
Uncanny Avengers

Pretty small list compared to some of you guys.

Vibranium

Banned
I would assume so, pretty sure he's complained about his DCBS shipment before.

Wow, I have to manage my money carefully. It's why I don't actually pull any DC since I don't see much value in any of their titles.

Plus I've got videogames and life stuff to worry about.

Yeah, but your wallet is thankful. I had 2 books this past week, and 0 the week before that. Things will get back to normal, don't worry.

Then why is it usually one of the more favoured Batman books?

Accessible evergreen story + Jim Lee artwork + does all the BIG BATMAN high concept stuff that's new people don't mind(Batman might kill the Joker! Batman vs Superman! Batman fuckin' Catwoman! Batman vs Ra's Al Ghul sword fight in the desert! Big mystery badguy who reads poetry/biblical verses!). Its kinda like a kid's version of the ULTIMATE BATMAN STORY, but the mystery is terrible, Loeb's prose isn't much good, and it mostly lives off reheating moments and ideas from other, better stories.

Oh man Harrier, I panic when I'm more than 20, that's incredible haha. Mines, all via trade:

Dark Horse
Mignola assorted shit
- Hellboy/BPRD/Abe Sapien/all that stuff, in ma veins

Oni Press
The Sixth Gun
Wasteland

IDW
Locke & Key (I'll miss you come Feb old friend)

Vertigo
The Unwritten
American Vampire
The Wake
Fables/Fairest

Fatale
Revival
Saga
East Of West
Morning Glories
Mind The Gap
Chew
Lazarus
The Manhattan Projects

DC
Batman
Batwoman
Wonder Woman
Batman & Robin
Nightwing
Talon
Swamp Thing

Archaia (Boom now?)
Mouse Guard
----

And looking forward to adding to my collection in 2014 when they hit trade: Velvet, Southern Bastards, Trillium, Veil, FBP, Black Science, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly, Sovereign, Umbral, The Fuse, & Green Arrow (if it ever comes out).

ReiGun

The ultimate list? Let's do that.

Superman Unchained
Action Comics
Wonder Woman
Aquaman
Green Arrow
The Movement
Superman/Wonder Woman
Supergirl
Batman/Superman
Earth 2
Justice League
Justice League of America
Forever Evil (+ ARGUS and Rogues Rebellion)

Black Science
Nowhere Men
Sex Criminals
Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Grey
Rat Queens

Powerpuff Girls
Samurai Jack

New Avengers
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Captain America
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
Hawkeye
Thor: God of Thunder

This....is bigger than I thought. o_o

ReiGun

thats what she said

image.php

Rei are you/me/parallax/slayven the only black COMICS!GAFers? I swear frye is black

Of the ones posting regularly in comic threads, there's also Vermillion and Manmademan. Of ones that I know read comics, there's Satch and Rio and a couple other people whose names escape me.

arkon

My pull list:

Adventure Time
Adventure Time Flip Side
Adventure Time Winter Special
Black Beetle
Black Beetle Necrologue
Black Science
Bravest Warriors
Bravest Warriors Annual
Daredevil
Daredevil (2014)
Dead Boy Detectives
Deadly Class
East of West
EGOs
FBP The Federal Bureau of Physics
FF (NOW)
Fuse
Hawkeye
Hawkeye Annual
Hinterkind
Imagine Agents
Inhuman
Lazarus
Manhattan Projects
Manifest Destiny
Memorial Imaginary Fiends
Midas Flesh
Ms Marvel
Multiple Warheads Alphabet to Infinity
Prophet
Secret Avengers (All New Marvel Now)
Serenity Leaves on the Wind
She-Hulk (All New Marvel Now)
Star Wars Legacy
Transformers More Than Meets Eye
Transformers Regeneration One
Transformers Robots In Disguise
Umbral
Undertow
Wolverine and X-Men
X-Force (All New Marvel Now)
X-Men Legacy (Marvel Now)
Young Avengers (Marvel Now)

Just the single issue stuff though and some of it is redundant stuff like Annuals or completed mini-series which need cleaning up a bit. Also a lot of pre-orders there, some of those will probably be dropped after the 1st or 2nd issues going by my past record. A few are soon to finish as well like X-Men Legacy, YA, WatXM. That's just the main series from the site I use to get comics. There's additional stuff that I might order every now and then off of ebay just to try them out (e.g. Suicide Risk, Larfleeze, Movement, Rocket Girl) but these normally get dropped. Occasionally some of those do make it to the main pull list though, like X-Men Legacy, Hinterkind and most recently Manifest Destiny.

Trades-wise I follow things like Atomic Robo, Hellboy, X-Factor, Chew and Wasteland to name a few.

List for the week of January 8, 2014.

Elephantmen #53
Fatale #19
Sex Criminals #4
Walking Dead #119
Young Avengers #15

Still pretty light even after the holidays. Next week looks like a doozy, though.

Excluding the new #1s I'll be picking up the following months my full pull list looks like this: (I'm not up to date with all of them though)

DC
  • Batwoman
  • Batman
  • Batman and
  • Batman/Superman
  • Action Comics
  • Red Lanterns
  • Superman Unchained
  • Justice League
  • Justice League of America
  • Flash
  • Earth 2
  • Superman/Wonder Woman
  • Wonder Woman
  • Suicide Squad
  • Forever Evil
  • Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
  • Fables

Marvel
  • Avengers
  • New Avengers
  • Uncanny Avengers
  • Captain America
  • Superior Spider-Man
  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • Hawkeye
  • Young Avengers
  • Thunderbolts
  • Wolverine and the X-Men
  • Uncanny X-Men
  • All-New X-Men
  • FF
  • X-Men Legacy
  • Mighty Avengers
  • Superior Foes of Spider-Man
  • Deadpool
  • Secret Avengers

• Chew
  • Black Science
  • Saga
  • Velvet
  • Invincible
  • Sex Criminals
  • Lazarus
  • Three
  • Rat Queens
  • Manhattan Projects
  • Nowhere Men
  • FBP
  • Mudman (It has to come back someday)

IDW
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • Transformers: More than Meets the Eye
  • Transformers: Robots in Disguise
  • Powerpuff Girls
  • Samurai Jack

Oni Press
  • Letter 44

Panel Syndicate
  • The Private Eye

ReiGun

Watching Spider-Man 3.

If you don't love the dancing Peter scene, we officially do not have the same sense of humor or taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom