• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, for fun, I'm looking at...

Dark Horse:
- The Black Beetle
- BPRD
- Hellboy (+ other associated books)
- Mind MGMT

DC:
- Animal Man
- Aquaman
- Batman
- Batwoman
- Nightwing
- Swamp Thing
- Talon

IDW:
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (+ minis)

Image:
- Chew
- East of West
- Fatale
- Lazarus
- Luther Strode (irregular series)
- The Manhattan Projects
- Nowhere Men
- Prophet
- Saga

Oni Press:
- Stumptown (irregular series)

Red 5:
- Atomic Robo (+ Real Science Adventures)

Vertigo:
- American Vampire

Current stuff not yet in trade / upcoming stuff I intend on grabbing:
- Adventures of Superman
- Black Science
- Coffin Hill
- Deadly Class
- Green Arrow (Lemire's run)
- Letter 44
- Superman Unchained
- Trillium
- Veil
- Velvet
- The Wake
- Zero

Oni Press:
- Stumptown (irregular series)

How did you find volume 2 man? I missed Stumptown off my list as I'm really not sure where I'm at. I liked the first volume, very meat and potatoes modern PI story, I liked it, it didn't blow me away though. This would normally be acceptable to me; a "fine" Rucka book means really enjoyable dialogue and characters, so I'm always down for that. My biggest problem is Oni's choice to take 4/5 part mini series and publish them as oversized HCs, resulting in an astronomical price on Amazon (uk that is). I actually saw Rucka respond to the question of whether they would ever be published as regular tpbs with "I don't believe so as Oni have said the pricing difference would be negligible". Well the first volume is £19 on amazon for 4 issues. I find that incredibly high for the book, when I could grab 4 books off Image (including Lazarus) for around that if I'm savvy. If I'm savvy I can drive that first volume price down to £15 off marketplace sellers but still, I just find that way too much. Especially since Wasteland vol. 9 is currently up for pre-order at under £8, and I can get the Sixth gun trades for around £9, I'm not sure what game they're playing with the pricing but yea. I assume the price hike starts on their end as the book is sold for similar pricing everywhere, not just Amazon, hence the difficulty getting it any cheaper.

So mini rant over, I wonder, how is volume 2 haha? I would pay £15 for a GREAT volume but if it's effectively on the same level as 1, I would skip, which is why I'm kind of in no man's zone with the book. The perfect solution for me would be if they just to go ahead and release paperback volumes.

No one person should buy more DC books than i buy books in total.

That's just the books I'm enjoying. I cut around 7-8 just recently. The only questionable ones left, imo, are Superman and Teen Titans. Superman I keep because it's got great art, while Teen Titans is on life support pending it's connection to the new Superboy.

-

So I'm in a weird place. With slots opened on my pull list I want to dabble with 1-3 Marvel titles. The problem is there is very little about the Marvel U I actually like. I dislike most of the Avengers. I probably like the X-men side of things (stuff like Sentinels and Purifiers). I hate Cyclops. I hate Magneto as anything but a Villain. I don't want to get books that will fall into crossovers as I'm not interested in going beyond just 1-3 Marvel titles, but I want books that will give me as much "bang" for my buck in terms of scope/content.

Oh. I also hate the idea of the past X-men.

Suggest away.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's just the books I'm enjoying. I cut around 7-8 just recently. The only questionable ones left, imo, are Superman and Teen Titans. Superman I keep because it's got great art, while Teen Titans is on life support pending it's connection to the new Superboy.

-

So I'm in a weird place. With slots opened on my pull list I want to dabble with 1-3 Marvel titles. The problem is there is very little about the Marvel U I actually like. I dislike most of the Avengers. I probably like the X-men side of things (stuff like Sentinels and Purifiers). I hate Cyclops. I hate Magneto as anything but a Villain. I don't want to get books that will fall into crossovers as I'm not interested in going beyond just 1-3 Marvel titles, but I want books that will give me as much "bang" for my buck in terms of scope/content.

Oh. I also hate the idea of the past X-men.

Suggest away.

Lots and lots of good marvel stuff at the moment. X-Men books are all good as you mentioned, but you might be interested in some of the more standalone books like Daredevil or Hawkeye. Maybe Robinson's FF or Invaders relaunch soon?

How old are you though? It would help me to recontextualise you because nobody over the age of 20 should really be drawing lines in the publisher sand. Good work is publisher-agnostic.

Lots and lots of good marvel stuff at the moment. X-Men books are all good as you mentioned, but you might be interested in some of the more standalone books like Daredevil or Hawkeye. Maybe Robinson's FF or Invaders relaunch soon?

How old are you though? It would help me to recontextualise you because nobody over the age of 20 should really be drawing lines in the publisher sand. Good work is publisher-agnostic.

I just don't like the vast majority of the Marvel characters. They don't resonate with me. Not really interested in stuff like Daredevil or Hawkeye. The suggestions I'd like is,

A) Probably an X-team book.
B) Not be focused on Cyclops
C) Not be focused on the Past X-men
D) Have a reduced chance of crossover hell

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just don't like the vast majority of the Marvel characters. They don't resonate with me. Not really interested in stuff like Daredevil or Hawkeye. The suggestions I'd like is,

OK then, Wolverine and the X-Men or Amazing X-Men. No cyke in either. Maybe Amazing, it's only 2 issues in to the arc and is pretty sweet. WATXM is always good and while it does get crossed over with, it remains mostly self contained.

But really, it's not about the characters so much as the talent on the books which is very good indeed. A good writer will make you care about a character (see: Daredevil). Remender's opening Captain America arc was absolutely stunning. Jason Aaron on Thor is doing amazing things with the character.

Or maybe try hopping on some Image books, they're killing it this year more than anyone else.

Listmania hits the US!

Action Comics #27
Batman Black And White #5
Batman Superman #7
Detective Comics #27
Earth 2 #19
Forever Evil Arkham War #4
Green Lantern #27
Swamp Thing #27
Trinity Of Sin The Phantom Stranger #15

Messi

Messi, you're a fucking conundrum. I want to dislike you for your championing of Harley Quinn but now I want to love you for the Batman and Robin love.

But seriously, this fucking book needs so much more attention, especially because it was able to power through two of Snyder's overblown events and maintain its quality. Peter Tomasi got Damian and the relationship between Bruce and Damian damn well.

Embrace the love of Harley and it will set you free. Ah, it's just a fun book with my favorite character so that makes it hard for me to dislike it.

I usually don't like any Robin stuff. But Tomasi nailed Damian. I just wish he was still Robin. It could have gone on for a bit longer. Even though I like Snyder Batman I'd have to agree that Tomasi's Batman may be better. Still love both though.

I'm thinking you might like X-Men Legacy, it's self contained and ending soon.
Daredevil is awesome beyond words.
You might like Remender's Uncanny X-Force. No cyke, No crossover, No past X-Men. And it leads to Uncanny Avengers and Captain America, both of which feature absolutely no Cyclops or crossovers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Embrace the love of Harley and it will set you free. Ah, it's just a fun book with my favorite character so that makes it hard for me to dislike it.

I usually don't like any Robin stuff. But Tomasi nailed Damian. I just wish he was still Robin. It could have gone on for a bit longer. Even though I like Snyder Batman I'd have to agree that Tomasi's Batman may be better. Still love both though.

If you like Damian then you HAVE to read Morrison's B&R volume. It pisses all over Tomasi from a height so great that it is actually in space when it begins the urination. As acceptable as Tomasi would occasionally be, it simply isn't the real Damian. The whole 'Damian is a psychopath' thing from the first arc was an exercise in Tomasi missing the point of the character entirely. He got a little better later on, I'll give him that. But Morrison's Damian has a vulnerability and emotional resonance that nobody else came close to at all.

Tomasi's run really suffered for me in that the antagonists were awful monologuing berks. The Ducard retcon on vol 1 is bad enough, but Terminus has to be the most godawful Batvillain I can remember from recent years. The main plot of that arc, Damo vs the Robins is a FANTASTIC concept. So why did Tomasi waste so much time with this blue twat droning on and on? bah.

Ya'll're crazy. Tomasi took Damian and made him his own. Even Grant Morrison was like "Osht, I was just going to kill him right away, but man people like Tomasi fucking schooled me hard showed me what someone with a story to tell can do."

MY personal two cents, since I read the book too: I'm surprised many of you feel strongly either way about Tomas's B&R. It's fine, perfectly inoffensive and a good time filler while waiting for other books, if you really need a bat fix, but most of it just feels like decent solid writing and art, making the most of plot lines that can only really exist in between the gaps of the big show ie. what Snyder's writing, what Morrison is writing, what this new weekly Bat book will be putting down as the new status quo down. I mean all that to say there is nothing bad about it, I don't see how people can feel so strongly that Tomasi has butchered anything, or anything like that, and perhaps it's quite respectable that the team can accomplish that, but neither is there anything that makes me jump up or demand my girlfriend reads it too so we can discuss it. I really just want to read books that blow my brains out. I only keep on with it since she digs it too, otherwise I'd have dropped it if it was just for myself after volume 1.

I'm reposting this because I think it got buried under the change in pages:

Can someone explain Superman Unchained to me? Where does it fit within the continuity of the New 52 Superman mythos? I understand that Action Comics is supposed to be 5 years prior to the Superman series flagship but where does Superman Unchained come in? Is it just side stories happening concurrently with the flagship title?

Can someone explain Superman Unchained to me? Where does it fit within the continuity of the New 52 Superman mythos? I understand that Action Comics is supposed to be 5 years prior to the Superman series flagship but where does Superman Unchained come in? Is it just side stories happening concurrently with the flagship title?

The timeline is nebulous if I'm not mistaken. After Action Comics but before Forever Evil. It's also before Superman/Wonder Woman as well, I believe, so in comic terms I'd say "A short time ago".

MY personal two cents, since I read the book too: I'm surprised many of you feel strongly either way about Tomas's B&R. It's fine, perfectly inoffensive and a good time filler while waiting for other books, if you really need a bat fix, but most of it just feels like decent solid writing and art, making the most of plot lines that can only really exist in between the gaps of the big show ie. what Snyder's writing, what Morrison is writing, what this new weekly Bat book will be putting down as the new status quo down. I mean all that to say there is nothing bad about it, I don't see how people can feel so strongly that Tomasi has butchered anything, or anything like that, and perhaps it's quite respectable that the team can accomplish that, but neither is there anything that makes me jump up or demand my girlfriend reads it too so we can discuss it. I really just want to read books that blow my brains out. I only keep on with it since she digs it too, otherwise I'd have dropped it if it was just for myself after volume 1.

It's always been less for Tomasi and way more for Gleason, ever since Green Lantern Corps.

monome

it happens during Didio's timeline.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

For me, being merely OK is worse than being terrible. I would rather read a Leifeld book than 90% of what DC is doing these days because it's all so bland. Awful is better than bland, personally. At least there's an emotional reaction to be gotten there.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
If you like Damian then you HAVE to read Morrison's B&R volume. It pisses all over Tomasi from a height so great that it is actually in space when it begins the urination. As acceptable as Tomasi would occasionally be, it simply isn't the real Damian. The whole 'Damian is a psychopath' thing from the first arc was an exercise in Tomasi missing the point of the character entirely. He got a little better later on, I'll give him that. But Morrison's Damian has a vulnerability and emotional resonance that nobody else came close to at all.

Tomasi's run really suffered for me in that the antagonists were awful monologuing berks. The Ducard retcon on vol 1 is bad enough, but Terminus has to be the most godawful Batvillain I can remember from recent years. The main plot of that arc, Damo vs the Robins is a FANTASTIC concept. So why did Tomasi waste so much time with this blue twat droning on and on? bah.

Jedeye, Morrison is my favorite writer, and Damian my favorite big two character, so you're entirely right about Damian being written best by Morrison. I mean, for fuck's sake, Morrison takes cliches like "I thought you'd be taller" and makes them work beautifully for Damian and makes everything work for the entirety of his Batman run.

BUT, Tomasi has done an excellent job of slowing down the action, and highlighting those vulnerable father and son spots. There was a bit of stumbling during Tomasi and Gleason's first arc, with Damien being a bit too bloodthirsty but I think it works in the narrative of Bruce trying to raise a son that was technically raised by callous, ruthless assassins, and trying to imbue him with his own "rules". And the Batman and Robin hits its fucking zenith during Robin's death--just read through that silent issue without feeling a sharp twist in the heart-piece. I think Tomasi earned Damian's character in his book and I'm happy it wasn't only Morrison who got to write the best Robin.

For me, being merely OK is worse than being terrible. I would rather read a Leifeld book than 90% of what DC is doing these days because it's all so bland. Awful is better than bland, personally. At least there's an emotional reaction to be gotten there.

Hahah ahhhhh, I see what you're saying, but that only really works for me if I'm in some hypothetical situation where I get the book free (feel free to make this happen for me haha!). Otherwise, I would far rather buy a book and find it to simply be okay, rather than a raging hot piece of shit I spent cash on. I see what you mean though, I hadn't really considered it that way when I said I couldn't understand why the book might evoke such negative reaction (or positive).

I want to see you guys' full pull lists at some point, as in every book you guys follow.

My Current monthly pull list

DC

Action Comics
Animal Man
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batman
Batman Black and White
Batman The Dark Knight
Batman/Superman
Batman and
Batwoman
Constantine
Damian Son of Batman
Detective Comics
Earth 2
Flash
Forever Evil
Forever Evil A.R.G.U.S
Forever Evil Arkham War
Forever Evil Rogues Rebellion
Green Lantern
Green Lantern New Guardians
Green Lantern Corps
Harley Quinn
Justice League
Justice League 3000
Justice League Dark
Justice League of America
Nightwing
Red Lanterns
Suicide Squad (some times not ever month)
Superboy
Supergirl
Superman
Superman/Wonder Woman
Superman Unchained
Swamp Thing
Teen Titans
Trinity of Sin: Pandora
Trinity of Sin: Phantom Stranger
Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest

IDW

Samurai Jack

Marvel relaunching HULK in April; Waid still writing, Mark Bagley joins as new artist (CBR)

Hulk-1-Opena-Cover-2333a.jpg
Hulk-1-Bagley-Variant-c2121.jpg
Sounds like it's going to be a continuation of sorts from Indestructible, with more emphasis on Hulk action and finally revealing what Banner's endgame in that series has been and what he's been planning ever since he started working for S.H.I.E.L.D.

I don't know how this one's going to do, because Indestructible kind of dropped the ball and I think most of us dropped it too.

Iv always felt that Morrison was the only one to write Damian with any sort of depth . Usually written as a little shit. I thought tomasi did a decent job. Tho the book got better once damina left the book

Splatt

Marvel relaunching HULK in April; Waid still writing, Mark Bagley joins as new artist (CBR)

Sounds like it's going to be a continuation of sorts from Indestructible, with more emphasis on Hulk action and finally revealing what Banner's endgame in that series has been and what he's been planning ever since he started working for S.H.I.E.L.D.

I don't know how this one's going to do, because Indestructible kind of dropped the ball and I think most of us dropped it too.

Waid's Hulk has been dissapointing. Certainly nowhere near the level of his Daredevil...

Hopefully, relaunch does away with Banner's boring cast of super scientistists.

Owzers

The surrounding cast of scientists never clicked for me, seemed like random people, and i didn't enjoy the story arcs either. Dropped at issue 11, i probably won't add it again, if it's any good i'll check it out on Marvel Unlimited.

Blink Me

My current pull list is:

Sex Criminals
Satellite Sam
Manhatten Projects
Teeth
Saga
Chew
East of West
Thief of Thieves
Invincible
Invincible Universe
Jupiters Legacy

Dark Horse:

Resident Alien
The Massive
Killjoys
DHP

Dynamite:

The Shadow
Jennifer Blood
Captain Action

DC/Vertigo

All Star Western
Fairest
Tom Strong
Trillium
The Deep

Marvel/Icon

Kick Ass

IDW

TMNT (and spinoffs)
Judge Dredd (and spinoffs)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Waid's Hulk has been dissapointing. Certainly nowhere near the level of his Daredevil...

Hopefully, relaunch does away with Banner's boring cast of super scientistists.

I liked the idea behind it, his Banner was really good. But you're right that it just never clicked.

Imma let this thread finish but Nao of Brown is the greatest comic of all time.

Finished it last night. Comics discussion priveledges should be revoked after a thirty day grace period for people to read it. If you dont, comics should be over for you.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Jedeye, Morrison is my favorite writer, and Damian my favorite big two character, so you're entirely right about Damian being written best by Morrison. I mean, for fuck's sake, Morrison takes cliches like "I thought you'd be taller" and makes them work beautifully for Damian and makes everything work for the entirety of his Batman run.

BUT, Tomasi has done an excellent job of slowing down the action, and highlighting those vulnerable father and son spots. There was a bit of stumbling during Tomasi and Gleason's first arc, with Damien being a bit too bloodthirsty but I think it works in the narrative of Bruce trying to raise a son that was technically raised by callous, ruthless assassins, and trying to imbue him with his own "rules". And the Batman and Robin hits its fucking zenith during Robin's death--just read through that silent issue without feeling a sharp twist in the heart-piece. I think Tomasi earned Damian's character in his book and I'm happy it wasn't only Morrison who got to write the best Robin.

I think the three or four pages of character development through each issue was easily the best part of it, and continued the 'family' vibe that Tomasi had been setting up since his Nightwing run, which was part of the reason I was actually super excited Tomasi was on the book. Those scenes in the big chairs watching telly, or Alfred's little bits were the best parts of the run. But the really z-grade superhero stuff elsewhere in the run really let it down for me. Terminus especially was a breaking point for me, and when I came back for grieving/insane Batman after Damian's death I just found it so cludgey and dull.

The silent issue was aiiight :p

Owzers

Finished it last night. Comics discussion priveledges should be revoked after a thirty day grace period for people to read it. If you dont, comics should be over for you.

I don't read comics about feelings and stuff. Are there dinosaurs?

I like stuff like this, I might pick it up when I have some spare dolla dollas. Any of you guys ever read Habibi?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I like stuff like this, I might pick it up when I have some spare dolla dollas. Any of you guys ever read Habibi?

I went to go to a Craig Thompson signing to pick up Habibi and talk to the dude because Blankets is one of the most important comics to me, but sadly I never finished Habibi. The art, as always, is absolutely sublime, but the story wasn't grabbing me. I should go read it, start to finish, and see how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom