• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Owzers

I don't know how to feel about Wicked and the Divine having guest artists for the third arc.

It sounds like they are stalling for time while focusing on Phonogram. These better be some damn good single character focused issues or i'm out.

frye

100% definitely read the omnibus before Born Again. Man Without Fear could go before or after, but it's an origin story, so it'd be best to read it before.
So to reiterate, Man Without Fear -> Omnibus -> Born Again.
You're in for a good time!

That is absolutely hilarious.

nah read the omnibus first. Original run into Born Again into Man Without Fear with the other stuff sandwiched between imo.

Also I feel like I've mentioned this before but you really don't want the Elektra omnibus kipp

tim1138

hi guys, newbie advice needed, after advice from this thread I read my first graphic novel - new avengers breakout and really enjoyed it

I want to continue but am unsure how it progresses logically, would the next one to seek out be The Sentry?

Also Breakout is classed as volume 1 or 1-6 is that because originally it would have been 6 comics and then combined into one graphic novel?

Sorry to sound silly im still getting my head around jt

Yeah, Sentry is the next. Here's a handy reading order list to make sure you get the right books (since that title had been used a couple times now) - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Avengers_(comics)#New_Avengers_Vol.1_.282005.29

And yep, the 1-6 indicates that it collects New Avengers issues 1 through 6.

Welcome to the thread and enjoy your stay!

Owzers

If you want to read more Bendis, Marvel Unlimited is the way to go. All the comics, none of the disappointment when you realize you spent hundreds of dollars to have everyone speak like spider-man and have plots go nowhere.

PsychBat!

Banned
New Avengers (the Bendis run) to me after Civil War is Luke Cage and his wife and friends doing family drama shenanigans. And everyone speaks the same way.

It gets tedious.

Fintan

I'm quite enjoying Bendis's Daredevil run. Alongside Ultimate Spider-Man, it's my favourite thing of Bendis's I've read. I don't really rate his incredibly long Avengers run that highly and I haven't read any of his creator owned stuff. Alias will probably be the next thing I seek out.

I'm probably just going to continue on straight into Brubaker's run once I finish up Bendis's. What classic Daredevil do I need to go back and read? Obviously Miller, but anything else?

If you want to read more Bendis, Marvel Unlimited is the way to go. All the comics, none of the disappointment when you realize you spent hundreds of dollars to have everyone speak like spider-man and have plots go nowhere.

Powers and Alias were two of the first series I really liked when I started reading comics.

Then in the last one year, I read New Avengers and Brilliant and GOTG. :/

Yes, also I hope for a Simmons Thor Omnibus Reprint around the time, the Thor: Ragnarok Movie drops.

Born Again was such an amazing read, its really my most one of my most anticipated books in 2014.

I wish I wasn't such a damn cheapskate. I wanted that Simonson Omnibus so fucking bad but it was what like $130 when it came out? Now it's close to $200 for a decent one? :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Also I feel like I've mentioned this before but you really don't want the Elektra omnibus kipp

I'm such a sucker for Frank Miller though... I know the Elektra omnibus stuff isn't his best work, but I really want it.

Zombine

Banned
The Evil Within's Framerate...

67b.jpg

And since it's creator owned they can just delay it when he gets behind and not have half of it be Tony Akins fill ins!

Akins Diet Chiang, yeah right. Good to hear

I'm cool with the W+D single issue guest artists thing in theory. We get Phonogram 3 and W+D at the same time, and they got some good artists lined up if Stephanie Hans, Tula Lotay and Kate Brown are any indication.

frye

I'm such a sucker for Frank Miller though... I know the Elektra omnibus stuff isn't his best work, but I really want it.

It's not that, Elektra Lives Again has my favourite Miller art and my favourite Varley colours and Elektra: Assassin is probably one of the three best comics Marvel has ever published.

But ELA had very special dimensions that the omnibus doesn't respect and the colours for Assassin from what I've been able to discern aren't as vibrant as the single issues (a problem shared by the trade but at least that isn't eighty bux or whatever).

Zombine

Banned
I tried playing more last night....sluggish controls/field of view where I can't see anything/framerate is killing it.

I'm really enjoying the atmosphere and the enemy design, but I just built a top of the line gaming PC a couple months ago that can get games from this gem running at like 120fps, so to play it on PS4, the 30fps that it's struggling to keep is pretty jarring.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah, same. I just could not get into it. The controls were shitty, too. Even by survival-horror game standards.
Yeah. Also I didnt liked the Stealthmechanic, it felt so rusty.

The premise was right, I liked the parts of the story I saw and the generell art design was gorgeous. But it played like shit, nothing im comparison to Resident Evil 4. Even Resi 5 haf better gameplay...

Evil Within's so fun once you get into the swing of the combat. The whole dynamic of using traps and matches while you're trying to conserve ammo is actually really addicting. Controls do take time to get used to tho, stealth can be kinda clunky and some bosses can be annoying when you're trying to dodge.

Also, picked up the highest tier on the Humble Bundle. I probably could've just gone with the cheapest one, but I wanted to show some support for such a good deal. I don't know if I'll read ~everything~ (no real interest in Walking Dead for example) but I'll definitely read God Hates Astronauts, Alex + Ada, and Satellite Sam! edit: Oh and I think the first volume of WicDiv has some issues I didn't read since I decided to drop it. I'll give that another shot and see if it clicks in trade-form.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally got time to read Daredevil 500 and there is a Miller Issue attached, were Daredevil plays Russian Roulette with a paralyzed Bullseye... Damn, this shit is so amazing... I need this Omnibus...

Also, picked up the highest tier on the Humble Bundle. I probably could've just gone with the cheapest one, but I wanted to show some support for such a good deal. I don't know if I'll read ~everything~ (no real interest in Walking Dead for example) but I'll definitely read God Hates Astronauts, Alex + Ada, and Satellite Sam! edit: Oh and I think the first volume of WicDiv has some issues I didn't read since I decided to drop it. I'll give that another shot and see if it clicks in trade-form.

Satellite Sam was gorgeous (obviously) but it was literally going nowhere after like 3 issues. Doesn't help that black n white Chaykin draws every damn male character exactly the same, despite how fucking cool they look.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sentry is one of the few things I have zero interest in catching up on from my time away (not that there's any actual catching up to do since he's gone most likely never to be mentioned again)

Curious about Dark Reign but it seems like a tremendous investment and I'm not ready for that, maybe one day. AvX is most likely the only event I'll read for awhile

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sentry is one of the few things I have zero interest in catching up on from my time away (not that there's any actual catching up to do since he's gone most likely never to be mentioned again)

Curious aboabout Dark Reign but it seems like a tremendous investment and I'm not ready for that, maybe one day. AvX is most likely the only event I'll read for awhile
Dark Reign is hard to recap, since its not a real Event and more of a name for an era.

Read Dark Avengers. Its awesome stuff and the best of Dark Reign.

PsychBat!

Banned
While I'm neither 6'3'' or black, it's really my bodyshape that makes people mistakenly think I play defense in american football. I just tell them politely that I don't play sports and I groan on the inside because I don't like american football.

Zombine

Banned
People think that just because I'm 6'4 and I'm a physically fit 25 year old white male that I'm successful.

They're right.

Top Bottom