• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

been noticing it a lot with some art but actors tend to get referenced quite a bit imo
Hawkeye-013-005.jpg

that has to be early 00s brad pitt right? too bad they got blowfish jeremy renner

AfIqN.jpg

also in a david mack daredevil he literally made leonardo dicaprio peter parker lmao.

Before I started the Doom Patrol Omnibus, I wanted to knock out a book out of my Batman collection. I went with Dark Victory by Loeb and Sale. I only read the first 2 chapters and I am really enjoying it. Like The Long Halloween, Loeb really captures that gritty, noir, detective tale.

What is GAFs opinion on Tim Sale? Weird faces, sloppy lines, distorted proportions, yet it works for me. His Batman is mostly in the dark which I love. I love Batmans silhouette and Sale does it a lot. His action scenes are fun and believable.

The Long Halloween was my first ever Batman book 2 years ago and it's fun seeing the same team do a book 2 years later and remembering how I got here.

XMEN8_CoverVariantW.jpg

i hate how he draws wolverine

and iceman but mostly the 'rine

But it's a perfect comic art style. And he's consistent as fuck.

What is GAFs opinion on Tim Sale? Weird faces, sloppy lines, distorted proportions, yet it works for me. His Batman is mostly in the dark which I love. I love Batmans silhouette and Sale does it a lot. His action scenes are fun and believable.

Tim Sale Batman has fucking huge pecs.

I like him a lot, i've only read his Batman stuff but it's gritty noir as hell

I should give those LH/DV rereads, haven't read em in years but i loved them back in 2011. They don't hold up well in my head though (especially DV since it's basically LH again)

I would never use these words to describe Tim Sale art. Sale is high on the list of greatest Batman artist.
i hate how he draws wolverine

and iceman but mostly the 'rine
I know Rafa hates it but this is my favorite representation of Iceman

Bachalo Iceman is like the one version of that character I like. Finally, he looks like a man made out of ice, and not a second-rate Silver Surfer

they tried so hard to make Wolverine relevant as as solo artist. Went down the 90s checklist. Took his powers away, then gave him armor, then gave him a gun...then they just killed that nigga and made a bunch of minis and weeklies and shit in his name.

Is Frank Miller drawing the new Iron Fist comic? Just saw some preview pages. It looks like Frank Miller's work, lol.

I know it's some dude who also writes it. The style looks a lot like Miller's

they tried so hard to make Wolverine relevant as as solo artist. Went down the 90s checklist. Took his powers away, then gave him armor, then gave him a gun...then they just killed that nigga and made a bunch of minis and weeklies and shit in his name.
I can't wait to see what kind of artists they will churn out for that weekly. Nick Bradshaw is never coming back to that book....

I can't wait to see what kind of artists they will churn out for that weekly. Nick Bradshaw is never coming back to that book....

ayy lmao Bradshaw drawing 3 issues before he passes the baton to Scott Eaton or Khoi Pham or them niggas they got drawing PAD's X-Factor after Ryan Sook ditched them after the opening arc.

Before I started the Doom Patrol Omnibus, I wanted to knock out a book out of my Batman collection. I went with Dark Victory by Loeb and Sale. I only read the first 2 chapters and I am really enjoying it. Like The Long Halloween, Loeb really captures that gritty, noir, detective tale.

The Long Halloween was my first ever Batman book 2 years ago and it's fun seeing the same team do a book 2 years later and remembering how I got here.

I LOVE Tim Sale's art. His depiction of Joker is absolutely iconic with the fuckhuge grin he has and even though I haven't flipped through the book in years, I can visualize one scene with Poison Ivy that looked incredible. The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are great looking books. Haunted Knight is worth a read too for his art.

The Long Halloween was my first Batman comic too. My brother used to be into comics when he was younger and had some Batman trades and I remember the spine and cover for it immediately caught my eye and I eventually got my own copy so I could read it.

ayy lmao Bradshaw drawing 3 issues before he passes the baton to Scott Eaton or Khoi Pham or them niggas they got drawing PAD's X-Factor after Ryan Sook ditched them after the opening arc.
Some brah named Ario Anandito is drawing issue 12. I'm not even sure that is a real person. Seriously, does this person exist.

Some brah named Ario Anandito is drawing issue 12. I'm not even sure that is a real person. Seriously, does this person exist.

Imma tellin ya, Marvel got a whole Rolodex of these Spanish-sounding jobbers they just drop on any book at a moment's notice. Cheap labor, replaceable cogs in the machine.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
decided not to finish the 2012 Captain Marvel run, it started getting tied in with events (first enemy within in avengers and then 2 issues tied with infinity) and I just cant be arsed atm to start looking for those event issues, ths specific avengers issue i would need etc.

I just had 5 issues left anyway, it ended at 17, and I was liking it, but not that much tbh, the new series seems much better. When I want to read an event Ill just read the event I think, which I believe MU provides every comic of the event including tie ins

So instead, I added All New Doop (which you guys havent mentioned so its probably shit but oh well)

Tizoc

what a shit day. fuck hospitals, horrible places (not for me, family member). At least I read some stuff:

All New Ghost Rider 2-4 - I'm digging it. The art is fucking gorgeous, probably my favorite art of any comic ive seen since I started using MU. I dig the characters / universe, and i love the design of the new GR. Just a fun read overall imo

Silver Surfer (the latest one) 1-3 - Loved it, absolutely loved it. I know it gets some hate but I thought it was great. Love his interactions with Dawn, love Dawn being all non-chalant with all the crazy shit going on, love the art, love the writting. Will be sad when its canceled

All New X-Factor (is that the name?) 1-4 - first 2 issues didnt do much for me, I dont particulary care for Polaris or Quicksilver (I like Gambit tho, sorry haters), but when they establish in issue 3 that there is in fact something shady going on (maybe) and that Quicksilver is a spy for the avengers as Gambit called imediatly, I got more interested. Still, the weakest of the 3. I like Gambit's cats, and I like the matching uniforms, always a big fan of those.

ps: I have no fucking clue who Danger is so her inclusion did nothing for me, except confuse me :/

Danger is from Joss Whedon's X-Men run which is a successor to Morrison's X-Men run :p

decided not to finish the 2012 Captain Marvel run, it started getting tied in with events (first enemy within in avengers and then 2 issues tied with infinity) and I just cant be arsed atm to start looking for those event issues, ths specific avengers issue i would need etc.

I just had 5 issues left anyway, it ended at 17, and I was liking it, but not that much tbh, the new series seems much better. When I want to read an event Ill just read the event I think, which I believe MU provides every comic of the event including tie ins

So instead, I added All New Doop (which you guys havent mentioned so its probably shit but oh well)

Lol shit how?

Milligan's sequel to X-Statix with LaFuente channelling Philip Bond? Aces comic.

Sienkiewicz is still my GOAT X artist.

fast but now Im starting to feel bad lol. Am i the only one that reads an issue in about 5-10 minutes? >_>

Nah I'm the same. Usually closer to 10 minutes with how wordy my comics have been lately (SiP grrr). I was more surprised at how hard you were binging most of these series. If you read too many at once too quickly, a lot can begin to blur together and that doesn't really help a whole lot in the long run. You may remember them all crystal clearly now but in a few months you might struggle to remember simple plot points of the story. I DON EVEN KNOW DOE FOOD FA THOUGHT YO jus sayin :p

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Tim Sale is one of my favorites. I really need to pick up his art book sometime soon.

Nah I'm the same. Usually closer to 10 minutes with how wordy my comics have been lately (SiP grrr). I was more surprised at how hard you were binging most of these series. If you read too many at once too quickly, a lot can begin to blur together and that doesn't really help a whole lot in the long run. You may remember them all crystal clearly now but in a few months you might struggle to remember simple plot points of the story. I DON EVEN KNOW DOE FOOD FA THOUGHT YO jus sayin :p

As a counterpoint to your theory, it usually takes me like 20 minutes to read an issue and I remember so little that I could do a re-read in a few months and it'd be totally fresh to me. Benefits of horrible memory.

Zombine

Banned
Imma tellin ya, Marvel got a whole Rolodex of these Spanish-sounding jobbers they just drop on any book at a moment's notice. Cheap labor, replaceable cogs in the machine.

Yet they couldn't depict the Latinos in Ghost Rider to save their lives, esé.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol shit how?

Milligan's sequel to X-Statix with LaFuente channelling Philip Bond? Aces comic.

I assume if its not talked about here its shit :p

I read the first issue, it was cute. What caught my eye was Cyclops standing with Magneto, Magik, Emma, rogue and some others... now THATS the x-men I want to read :p Also I love that Cyke red and black costume, with the X across the eyes

Also finished All New X-Factor 5-9 (all there is on MU for now), its actually really growing on me, will keep reading. Im really liking the dynamic, the corporate angle, the quicksilver spying angle, I love Danger, im super ok with doug and warlock joining (talk about a blast from the past, for me anyway), the art is great, and Gambit has cats and sleeps with his boss's wife so, you know, fun times

edit: Just noticed that at the end of x-Factor MU is recomending Uncanny X-Men #1 with the Cyke team I was mentioning earlier in the post. Might have to check that out

Also, on the speed reading, not that I dont read fast, but if Im leaving the impression that im going through these series fast, thats not exactly the case. Most of the stuff Ive been talking about ive put on hold.

Like Uncanny X-Force I havent read since 7, New X-Men I put on hold on 129 or whatever it was (so I read 15), etc. Im just jumping from title to title on your recomendations lol

What I did try to read all was the newer stuff (Ghost Rider, Captain Marvel, Silver Surfer, She Hulk) because A) theres only a few issues out anyway and B) Im caught up so when a new issue pops up on MU I can read it. The back stuff I can read whenever ;D

But stil...yeah im a fast reader. 20 minutes for 1 issue sounds insane to me

edit: Oh and I read a few Daredevil issues of the Mark Waid run (4 I believe), surprise suprise, another recomendation I love. You guys are like 7 for 7 or something. Quick rundown of my favorite sutff so far:

1 - Hawkeye 1-18 (easily)
2 - New X-Men 114-129 (grant morrison run, nowhere near done yet)
3 - Ms. Marvel 1-5 (Kamala Khan version)
2 - She Hulk (2014) 1-5
3 - Nextwave 1-12 Full Run
4 - Silver Surfer (2014) 1-3
5 - Uncanny X-Force 1-7 (Im liking it but it hasnt really blown me away yet, maybe it was overhyped in my head)
5 - All New X-Factor 1-9 (biggest surprise)
6 - All New Ghost Rider 1-4
7 - Captain Marvel (2014) 1-4 (surprised this is so low but...well it is)

All New Doop I only read the first issue yet, not enough to form an opinion on. Ms. Marvel, She Hulk, Silver Surfer, Nextwave are all very close, they might aswell all be number 3 in that list

Rhaknar

I'm not alone in thinking that All New GR's art is fucking gorgeous right? :(

tumblr_inline_nhedy9M7EL1qldhit.jpg

gr2-420x638.jpg

All-New_Ghost_Rider_Preview_1.jpg

Top Bottom