• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has to get there, he doesn't just start out perfect day one. Even in a work of fiction. Making your character perfect from the get go makes them unrelatable. He's barely used his powers, and now suddenly has to fight off a bunch of warriors who are hell bent on destruction and killing you. I'm not expecting miracles the first time out.

Why didn't Superman stop Darkseid from killing Dan Turpin?! He's Superman!!!

Plus HOW MAN FUCKING TIMES in the comics has Metropolis seen similar levels of destruction. All the fucking time, don't give me that he always takes it to the moon or remote location bullshit.

All the time in the animated series too.

Obviously Turpin deserved to die. Plus look how fucked up the city looks there.

All the time in the animated series too.

For sure, it's such a weird thing to bitch about.

It's like asking why the Avengers didn't draw the fight outside of NYC. It's a fucking movie, destruction of a city is more interesting than random mountains.

He has to get there, he doesn't just start out perfect day one. Even in a work of fiction. Making your character perfect from the get go makes them unrelatable. He's barely used his powers, and now suddenly has to fight off a bunch of warriors who are hell bent on destruction and killing you. I'm not expecting miracles the first time out.

Plus HOW MAN FUCKING TIMES in the comics has Metropolis seen similar levels of destruction. All the fucking time, don't give me that he always takes it to the moon or remote location bullshit.

It's not that it couldn't have happened.

It's that they shot it like 9/11 and then had two people make out in Ground Zero.

Batman Beyond 2.0 is still so damn good. I noticed Justice League Beyond 2.0 hasn't come out and isn't in their list of digital comics. Did I miss an announcement of it being cancelled, or on hold?

Turpin was a character people actually cared about, was treated as a real loss/failure on Superman's part, was played dramatically as an actual tragedy with rageful Superman and a funeral full of people we actually know, and was the catalyst for the battle between Superman and Darkseid later, so it had real fallout. It mattered to the characters and the plot.

meanwhile, in Man of Steel, thousands of people nobody gave a fuck about(including the Daily Planet we barely learn their names much less any real characterization/personalities/stories of their own) are in this huge grim gritty disaster, which are then treated with about as much care as flies getting killed on the grill of a car by Superman or any other principal character, before Superman blows up the rest of Metropolis with Zod before he kills him, too.

Its not about Superman can't fail(thank you Hitman #34), but there's a matter of execution all this. A matter of tone, texture, themes, and what the movie/show is really saying.

Man of Steel is a bad movie, but in a murky kind of way that its not openly AWFUL like Batman and Robin. You end up with a very divisive reaction where people draw lines in the sand on its odd dramatic gestures and weird tonal inconsistencies and yeah but how cool was that fight scene tho.

Batman Beyond 2.0 is still so damn good. I noticed Justice League Beyond 2.0 hasn't come out and isn't in their list of digital comics. Did I miss an announcement of it being cancelled, or on hold?

Did some research and it seems to have quietly been sidelined / canceled with Batman Beyond going weekly.

That really bums me out.

Man of Steel made my insides feel like Metropolis at the end of the movie. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if the trailers didn't hype me up so much, just wasn't the Superman I wanted to see on screen.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, BuddyJoeHooker presented an idea to me that was too good to ignore. He told me I should write a webcomic about Rafa and his eventual rise to comics superstardom.

So anyways, here it is:
Rafa and the Long Road to the Inevitable Achievement of Comics Superstardom #1

iEVQiiM5iI9Ew.png

I think I'll try to do one little strip of it a week. If any of you guys have ideas for one of the strips, please let me know! It'd be great if most of the strips were written by you guys.
This #1 issue was BuddyJoeHooker's script idea by the way, so thanks Joe!

Well, BuddyJoeHooker presented an idea to me that was too good to ignore. He told me I should write a webcomic about Rafa and his eventual rise to comics superstardom.

So anyways, here it is:
Rafa and the Long Road to the Inevitable Achievement of Comics Superstardom #1

I think I'll try to do one little strip of it a week. If any of you guys have ideas for one of the strips, please let me know! It'd be great if most of the strips were written by you guys.
This #1 issue was BuddyJoeHooker's script idea by the way, so thanks Joe!

This is incredible.

Zombine

Banned
My Barnes & No Balls haul for the weekend:

Various Criterion Movies: $140

Fables Deluxe Books 2-4: $40

Preacher Books 2-4: $35

See guys? People will buy from you when you price your products fairly. You didn't have to file for bankruptcy if you just did this kind of thing to begin with.

Amazon Haul: Don't remember, spent money.

Kipp

You are going to be a comic star. The next Jeff Lemire.

Haha
I just realized, I haven't actually read anything by Jeff Lemire... Hm.

Also, the worst part about this drawing thing is that I keep being disappointed when my art isn't professional comics quality. Then I need to remind myself that I've only been drawing for two weeks now and I probably ought to lower my expectations. Why can't I just be immediately amazing. :(

Edit: Wait...that's Rafa. Oh my god. Haha oh my god. What.

Did you not see his nametag/his Wal-Mart vest/his Liefeld face/the title of the comic?
Maybe I should've made it clearer. :p

Zombine

Banned
Haha
I just realized, I haven't actually read anything by Jeff Lemire... Hm.

Also, the worst part about this drawing thing is that I keep being disappointed when my art isn't professional comics quality. Then I need to remind myself that I've only been drawing for two weeks now and I probably ought to lower my expectations. Why can't I just be immediately amazing. :(

Did you not see his nametag/his Wal-Mart vest/his Liefeld face/the title of the comic?
Maybe I should've made it clearer. :p

I like Justice League Unite a lot. His creator owned books are slightly pretentious but still good in their own way.

Edit: I admit that I glanced over the panels quickly the first time.

Zombine

Banned
Good lord.

And I'm glad someone else is enjoying Justice League United. Book's only going to get better IMO.

You missed my noob moment. I thought it was badass when
Hawkeye got his hand cut off
only to find out that
he can regenerate.
I believe that threw Slug off also.

Kipp

I like Justice League Unite a lot. His creator owned books are slightly pretentious but still good in their own way.

That's the first good thing I've heard about JLU since the first issue. I do hope it stays good, because I like the cast.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some of Lemire's creator owned books at the library. I'll check some of them out sometime.

Zombine

Banned
That's the first good thing I've heard about JLU since the first issue. I do hope it stays good, because I like the cast.
I'm pretty sure I've seen some of Lemire's creator owned books at the library. I'll check some of them out sometime.

Make sure that before you read The Underwater Welder you put on a fedora or you might not get it.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You missed my noob moment. I thought it was badass when
Hawkeye got his hand cut off
only to find out that
he can regenerate.
I believe that threw Slug off also.
Yeah, had no fucking clue. Then again, when your book has New Lobo, you never know who may get brutally brutalized by that generic ass rebooted character.

Kipp

Haha kinda. His books are very good. They're just not your typical fare. He's very...indie.

I see. Well, I'll check it out at the library sometime and see if I can enjoy it. That doesn't bode well though. Haha.

Did some research and it seems to have quietly been sidelined / canceled with Batman Beyond going weekly.

That really bums me out.

That really bums me out too. I was digging the hell out of JLB2.0. Not that I don't like BB2.0 but I was beginning to think that JL was the stronger title. It was also a shit ton better than Batman 66. Which start off solid enough and just got boring and repetitive. Now I'm extra sad.

tim1138

In what world are Jeff Lemire creator owned books obtuse or pretentious? I've yet to read Trillium, but the rest of his stuff (even Sweet Tooth) is typically about interpersonal relationships and ideas of family. Essex County, for example, is a fantastic slice of life book about growing up and living in rural Canada. Hardly what one would call pretentious. I saw Underwater Welder mentioned, despite it's somewhat fantastic setting, at its heart it's about fathers and sons and Lemire writing his way through his own impending fatherhood.

Just read another book today. JLA Tower of Babel. Heard this was a very good Batman story, that's why I picked it up. It was a very good examination of Batmans paranoia. The ending was a good examination of his ability to see how things will play out. Pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom