• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Just read another book today. JLA Tower of Babel. Heard this was a very good Batman story, that's why I picked it up. It was a very good examination of Batmans paranoia. The ending was a good examination of his ability to see how things will play out. Pretty good.

You read a serious amount of books. Every day you are knocking multiple books out. Damn son.

Zombine

Banned
In what world are Jeff Lemire creator owned books obtuse or pretentious? I've yet to read Trillium, but the rest of his stuff (even Sweet Tooth) is typically about interpersonal relationships and ideas of family. Essex County, for example, is a fantastic slice of life book about growing up and living in rural Canada. Hardly what one would call pretentious. I saw Underwater Welder mentioned, despite it's somewhat fantastic setting, at its heart it's about fathers and sons and Lemire writing his way through his own impending fatherhood.

Obtuse by comic standards is interpersonal lol. His creator owned books are like a Paul WS Anderson wet dream. This is coming from someone who just dropped a ton of cash on Criterion movies including Mr. Fox.

In other news, who here knows how to draw like Tim Sale?

I just read through year one right before Zero Year started. I think I'm going to sit down at some point this month and re-read both of them.

I bought Seconds today. I must say what a great read. As soon as I opened it, I did not put it down until I finished it. The story is very catchy and the art was wonderful. I even laughed out loud a couple of times. I really can't wait to see what Bryan does next. Has anyone ever read any of his older stuff before Scott Pilgrim? Was thinking about checking out Lost at Sea and Hopeless Savages.

I just read through year one right before Zero Year started. I think I'm going to sit down at some point this month and re-read both of them.

I've seen the movie so I almost thought of the book as a bookshelf decoration but I pulled it off anyways to experience the definite origin story before Zero Year. I posted my impressions of both a page or two back.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, I just read the second issue of Prophet after reading the first issue earlier today.
Never before has there been such a huge difference between my enjoyment of a first and second issue. After reading the first issue, I thought it was incredibly boring and almost couldn't stand to read another issue, but forced myself to because I blind-bought the first three TPBs a while back (I think I was really wanting more sci-fi after finishing Fear Agent or something). And I actually ended up reeeally enjoying the second issue. I hope it keeps up that quality. It's a good read.

In what world are Jeff Lemire creator owned books obtuse or pretentious? I've yet to read Trillium, but the rest of his stuff (even Sweet Tooth) is typically about interpersonal relationships and ideas of family. Essex County, for example, is a fantastic slice of life book about growing up and living in rural Canada. Hardly what one would call pretentious. I saw Underwater Welder mentioned, despite it's somewhat fantastic setting, at its heart it's about fathers and sons and Lemire writing his way through his own impending fatherhood.

Well Tim, you haven't let me down with a recommendation yet, so you've convinced me that I'll probably like Lemire's creator-owned stuff after all.
The outcome of my mind being changed is still exactly the same though. I'll still check his stuff out the next time I'm at the library. :p

Obtuse by comic standards is interpersonal lol. His creator owned books are like a Paul WS Anderson wet dream. This is coming from someone who just dropped a ton of cash on Criterion movies including Mr. Fox.

If that's what you meant regarding Lemire's creator-owned books, I totally dig that slice-of-life type of stuff (as long as it isn't super depressing like some of the indie books I've read are).

You read a serious amount of books. Every day you are knocking multiple books out. Damn son.

I'm glad I'm not the only slow reader here.
Speaking of finishing books, did you end up finishing Six-Gun Gorilla, Messi?

I read two issues today. I am so bad sometimes.

Same. :(
That's pretty much my normal day. Except for when I go two or three days without reading any comics at all. Generally when I've just finished a series and can't bring myself to start a whole new series.
A super good comics reading day for me is when I can enjoy six issues/a whole TPB in the one day. "Enjoying" being the key word, because on normal days, after two issues, reading any more comics feels almost like a chore (but I do almost always really enjoy those two issues, so it's not like I just don't like comics; I just have a very poor attention span I guess).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm totally with you on this one. Seems like a mislabelling of Jeff Lemire's stories entirely. His writing style is very functional, never flashy, and the heart of so many of his books are relstionship stories surrounded by a more comic book genre body.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I didn't finish Six Gun yet :(. Tomorrow hopefully.

It's cool, I only managed to finish it in one day since I had the day off and just read one issue at a time every couple hours or so. Even then I was relatively pleased that I could finish all six issues in one day. Haha. What a crazy, interesting, great book.
Let me know what you think when you do finish though!

Today was a good day. We live in the ADHD age where there is like 10 other things your brain thinks of while trying todo another thing. All usually on the internet. I tried reading JLA earlier and I swear I read the same page like 3 times because it never soaked in. That's when you put the book down. Other times, I'll be tempted to check GAF or social media and just put the book down mid chapter and check my stuff so I get that urge out of me. Today though I powered through like I do on Wednesdays, my other off day.

Messi

Today was a good day. We live in the ADHD age where there is like 10 other things your brain thinks of while trying todo another thing. All usually on the internet. I tried reading JLA earlier and I swear I read the same page like 3 times because it never soaked in. That's when you put the book down. Other times, I'll be tempted to check GAF or social media and just put the book down mid chapter and check my stuff so I get that urge out of me. Today though I powered through like I do on Wednesdays, my other off day.

Man this is me in a nutshell. I could be reading a book but I'm doing other random shit like surfing the web/Facebook.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't even comprehend what's happening here. How are Lemire and Paul WS Anderson even remotely similar? That doesn't even begin to make sense.

Archer & Armstrong sale on comixology! Everyone buy this book. It's awesome and fun. It's the spiratural sequel in many was to the incredible Hercules.

Birdie you are one of the few other Valiant readers on comic GAF. Back me up!

Vyer

I went to B&N for the DC sale and bought:

Batman Black Mirror
Batman & Son New Edition
Harley Quinn - Mad Love

Black Mirror was free I believe. I also bought Coffin Hill vol 1 in a different shop. Not sure why. I just did it.

I wanted Catwoman Vol 3 Under Pressure, but they were sold out. Would have gotten that with Long Halloween and Dark Victory, alas they were out of everything Catwoman sans Nocenti bullshit.

Oh, I didn't know about this sale. I don't actually have a physical copy of Year One, so I'm going to fix that. Now to pick the other two...

Messi

I'm curious about a really small detail in Snyders entire Batman run thus far.
Bruce gets a cut that scars in the fight with Red Hood at Ace Chemicals in Zero Year. Has he had this scar in previous arcs that are in the future? I don't remember of he has it in Death of the Family
. As I said something small. Lol.

Oh, I didn't know about this sale. I don't actually have a physical copy of Year One, so I'm going to fix that. Now to pick the other two...

Brubakers Catwoman if you don't own that. First volume in particular is incredible.

ReAxion

Holy hell, what a con.

Saw so much, did so much, bought so much.

I'm gonna just post what I bought first, as I recollect my brain I'll post other things that happened.

Warrior Chicken Poyo, Layman and Guillory signed. Both are nice, chill dudes. They debated over when the next volume of Chew was coming out as they signed my book.
Deadly Class hardcover and Low #1 con exclusive, Remender signed. He's cool, very gracious. Low #1 is good, buy it.
Bought the con exclusive WicDiv. Got Zdarsky to "sign" his WicDiv #2 variant. (He wrote 'Help me' next to Gillen's face.) Chip is the best. Poor lil guy was nervous about the Eisners, and I told him he was gonna win, he had to. And then he did.
I had Tula Lotay sign the Supreme Blue Rose I bought at my local shop on the way to the con. Interesting book, and she's super nice and sweet. It was her birthday.
Six Gun Gorilla hardcover signed by Jeff Stokely. Took me a couple days to show up at the Boom! booth while he was still there.
I bought FBP in trade and read it in one sitting that night. Very good. Another Comic-GAF Rec hit!

I went to every Image panel and was in the Marvel panels for AXIS and The Next Big Thing. That's where they announced that Layman was bringing a new flavor to Cyclops (heh), and that Death of Wolverine is actually a platform to launch a ton more tangentially-related Wolverine books. Also was in the spotlights on BKV and Fiona Staples respectively, and the Saga panel.

I think I'm sold on all the AXIS books.

Every comics person I met was nice and cool. Humble, gracious, etc.
Took selfies with:
Chip Zdarsky
Bryan K Vaughan
Fiona Staples
Declan Shalvey

3/4 went on to win Eisners that night, and I believe Declan collected for Jordie, so I'm calling that a perfect score.

Fun story; when I went to get Tula to sign, Declan, Guillory, Layman, and Zdarsky (along with a few others) were just standing in the middle of the Image booth. I think they were talking about wrestling. I asked Declan if I could get a quick picture with him, and he stepped aside, saying he thought I meant Layman. "No! You, sir!"

So what is AXIS going to be dealing with? I haven't caught up with all of the SDCC news yet, but I don't give 2/5ths of a fuck about it right now.

ReAxion

.....oh. still don't care.

Thanks for the reply, though. :D

o7

There's more that I might remember later, but mostly all I'm thinking of now is who is in and who is out. Like, new Cap is in, girl Thor is out, and Green Goblin got replaced with Hobgoblin because of what happened at the end of Superior, as in Green was promo'd but the ending of Superior made it so he can't be there. What I came away with is that I'm not going to be able to wait the 6 months til it hits Unlimited to find out what happens.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, BuddyJoeHooker presented an idea to me that was too good to ignore. He told me I should write a webcomic about Rafa and his eventual rise to comics superstardom.

So anyways, here it is:
Rafa and the Long Road to the Inevitable Achievement of Comics Superstardom #1

I think I'll try to do one little strip of it a week. If any of you guys have ideas for one of the strips, please let me know! It'd be great if most of the strips were written by you guys.
This #1 issue was BuddyJoeHooker's script idea by the way, so thanks Joe!

Hahaha, amazing. I hope Rafa isn't offended over this, if anything you guys would make a great team!

I would love to see one about a confrontation with Didio maybe, if he's still ok with it...

Bought the con exclusive WicDiv. Got Zdarsky to "sign" his WicDiv #2 variant. (He wrote 'Help me' next to Gillen's face.) Chip is the best. Poor lil guy was nervous about the Eisners, and I told him he was gonna win, he had to. And then he did.

Fun story; when I went to get Tula to sign, Declan, Guillory, Layman, and Zdarsky (along with a few others) were just standing in the middle of the Image booth. I think they were talking about wrestling. I asked Declan if I could get a quick picture with him, and he stepped aside, saying he thought I meant Layman. "No! You, sir!"
that's the only signing i'm actually bummed i missed. and those dudes talking wrestling sounds like the actual best thing.
Oh cool.

I would love a print of his work.

how about a commission? Dude has probably the highest rates i've ever seen. he can charge what he wants though, I always see people getting them.

ReAxion

that's the only signing i'm actually bummed i missed. and those dudes talking wrestling sounds like the actual best thing.

I missed out on the signing tickets, they were gone in a flash, but I caught them coming out of one of the Image panels. I got one of Remender's tickets instead, so that's how I got that.

To later find them all just chillin' in the middle of the booth was surreal.

Edit: During Fraction & Zdarsky's signing, Image tweeted that the line was short and you didn't need tickets anymore, but I was already occupied.

I missed out on the signing tickets, they were gone in a flash, but I caught them coming out of one of the Image panels. I got one of Remender's tickets instead, so that's how I got that.

To later find them all just chillin' in the middle of the booth was surreal.

Edit: During Fraction & Zdarsky's signing, Image tweeted that the line was short and you didn't need tickets anymore, but I was already occupied.

ah what the hell, I wish i'd seen that. I would've had to be totally lucky to come across that tweet in the offchance that i pulled up twitter in a spot with a good connection. I also missed that panel, though, I only hit up like 3 panels total over the whole weekend. I'll probably go to more comics next time, not many were so interesting for me to leave the floor, or they interfered with other things.

however it was fun as fuck and i'm exhausted so bad

ReAxion

ah what the hell, I wish i'd seen that. I would've had to be totally lucky to come across that tweet in the offchance that i pulled up twitter in a spot with a good connection. I also missed that panel, though, I only hit up like 3 panels total over the whole weekend. I'll probably go to more comics next time, not many were so interesting for me to leave the floor, or they interfered with other things.

however it was fun as fuck and i'm exhausted so bad

there was Free Teen Wolf Wifi!

I was happy to find that the comics panels weren't insane waits like the tv/movie panels are. I aimed for getting to each an hour before they started and that worked well.

The last Image panel I went to didn't even fill up halfway, the moderator just ended up handing out free digital comic codes to anyone who came up to the front when it ended.

ReAxion

okay, I got two cards with a code for a free digital comic from Image. But they're the same code, and it says one use per customer, value $2.99 or lower. So I only get one.

I'll PM the code to first reply who asks for it, although I'm sure it'll work for as many people who wanna use it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought we'd actually learn what Grant Morrison's project for Boom was during the con, but apparently not.

---

Read BPRD, Vol 1. Good stuff, some very neat tales and some welcome exploration of Abe. I'm excited to see where it goes from here, as it seems like Mignola and company will find their groove.

Ordered up:
* BPRD, Vol 2
* BPRD, Vol 3
* Deadly Class, Vol 1
* Letter 44, Vol 1

Bii

Deadly Class hardcover and Low #1 con exclusive, Remender signed. He's cool, very gracious. Low #1 is good, buy it.

Damn, I knew I forgot to get something. Low #1 and the con exclusive Wicked & Divine #2. *sigh*

14761447291_d12b1f87e1_b.jpg

This is my fourth consecutive year attending Comic-Con. Probably my favorite yet even when I was there for only Thursday and Friday.
Pictures were taken with a variety of iPhones, DSLRs and whathaveyou, so picture quality/clarity/sizes will vary.

One of the first things I wanted to check out was Power Girl's statue at Sideshow Collectibles. Not sure what's going on with her hair but I'm still interested in getting it. I find it strange that Sideshow does NOT sell anything at their booth. It's just one big advertisement for some of their current figures and upcoming ones. It's not a huge deal but seeing some of these statues in person and knowing you won't be able to purchase it for months to come is damn right disheartening.

So I didn't quite have a game plan of what I was going to do first when I arrived at the convention. After checking out Power Girl at Sideshow, I went over to the DC booth (they were adjacent to one another) and saw a line forming. One of the things about Comic-Con is that when a line starts forming and you don't have anywhere else to be at that time, you f*cking get in line and ask questions later. And that's just what I did. All I heard was something about free stuff, which was good enough for me. I've mentioned this before in the thread but the line turned out to be wristbands to meet and get autographs from either Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison. I didn't bring anything with me to sign but I knew I was going to get the Capullo variant cover for Batman #32 and the sketch variant for Superman #32, so I opted for Snyder first since I've been pulling his book since the New 52 started. I told my hotel roomie that I have a wristband to meet Snyder so he lent me his Batman #1 so Snyder could sign it.

My hotel roomie has a 4-day+preview night badge and I asked if he could get me the Sunset Overdrive poster from Mondo's booth should I not be able to get it. Turns out, Mondo wasn't releasing the poster until 1pm on Thursday. So at 12:30pm, I made my way to the booth and coincidentally got in line the same time my roomie did; there was no pre-planning since we like to browse the floor by ourselves but shared a laugh with how perfect our timing was. Needless to say, I got my poster (and the Harley vinyl).

Mondo seems to be branching out to more than just posters, VHS tapes, shirts and vinyls. They had on display some figures from the Iron Giant and TMNT. I'm definitely interested in them depending on the prices. Annnnnnnnnnnnd I just noticed that one of Mondo's employees is photo bombing that Iron Giant pic I took...

You always hear SDCC attendees talking about how crowded it can get. Well, they're not lying. That fourth pic is actually me standing in line for the Mondo booth. You see where that orange eye is? Mondo's booth is right behind it. I'm at the end of the line where they've capped it, so it was longer than that before SDCC security got involved.

And the worst line at SDCC goes to... *drum roll* Starbucks! No, seriously, there was only one Starbucks inside the convention that served iced drinks. All of the other Starbucks kiosks only had hot coffee. The SO wanted iced coffee and I'm not one to argue since she waited with me at multiple lines. We waited nearly an hour by the time we got to the counter. We had to keep our little one preoccupied. Was it worth it? Nope.

On the second day, we arrived at the convention late with the shuttle that we were on. I guess there was an accident or something on the freeway and it took us nearly an hour to get there. I had wanted to get back to the DC booth so I can get a wristband for Geoff Johns but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I remembered Amanda Conner's booth on the way out of the convention and headed over there so I could get my Harley Quinn Invades SDCC #1 signed. Her booth was stationed next to Francavilla's but he wasn't there at the time. Amanda was such a pleasure to talk to. Even when her line is long and some random documentary guys butted in, she kept it cool and was very pleasant all around. I was just going to get my comic signed but opted for a print because whythehellnot.

Alright, so here's most of the stuff that I bought. Sunset Overdrive and Groot posters, and Harley vinyl from Mondo. Comic variants from various vendors. But Not Gino children's book from Lee Kohse's booth at Artists' Alley. A Batman sketch from Edwin Huang and Long Vo. I am very impressed with Edwin's rendition of Batman. He even incorporated Batman's chest logo into his signature. I always get a sketch from Long Vo and always love the work he produces.

And most of the freebies that I got (not the Piplup hand puppet, that one we actually bought). $25 gift cards to Sideshow Collectibles, Archer sunglasses, Ranma 1/2 water bottles, Iron Giant face mask, Transformers mini poster, Naruto papercraft and a few other knicknacks. The two tote bags we got were of Vampire Diaries and Gotham. I'm not fond of the former. I think I got a Vampire Diareies bag last year too. I guess I should be a bit more selective when they're handing them out. I've seen some cooler ones such as Supernatural and Teen Titans, but I digress.

A few random shots.

Now, there's a serious lack of cosplay photos (or photos of pretty much everything). It was a bit tough trying to keep a 2-year old entertained as he's in the stroller for most of the day. So we did take frequent breaks but all of that downtime was spent to make sure that he was having as much fun as we were. We did take him to the San Diego Zoo on Saturday so he had his day of fun. :D

I do plan on attending SDCC 2015 and will opt for a 4-day pass if the opportunity is there. I guess the only thing I'm bummed about is not being able to score the Stout Guardians of the Galaxy poster from Mondo (I didn't have a Sunday pass and by the time my roomie got there, it was already too late). Now that SDCC's over, I can get back to reading some comics. I'm definitely going to try out Marvel Unlimited for a buck; I might have to put all other comics on hold to make the most out of it.

ReAxion

There were a limited amount of Lows per day, and they sold out before noon each day. I skipped it my first time through the booth on Thursday and went back later to find them all gone, so I bought it first thing Friday. You might have forgotten because they took them off the wall when they ran out of that day's allotment.

I'll get to posting my pics tomorrow.

kd-z

He has to get there, he doesn't just start out perfect day one. Even in a work of fiction. Making your character perfect from the get go makes them unrelatable. He's barely used his powers, and now suddenly has to fight off a bunch of warriors who are hell bent on destruction and killing you. I'm not expecting miracles the first time out.

Plus HOW MAN FUCKING TIMES in the comics has Metropolis seen similar levels of destruction. All the fucking time, don't give me that he always takes it to the moon or remote location bullshit.
But he doesn't even TRY! Also, my point is that it should not have been his first day - Superman is defined by the fact that he starts doing what he does because of himself and not some outside factor. He's the definition of a hero and i'm so fucking tired of people changing that to some "he feels alienated and has the biggest weltschmerz of them all!" bullshit.

Ed: Just read up a bit on the thread and ViewtifulJC nailed the other point: the dissonance between what we see on the screen and what the movie tells us we should feel. We see a disaster on an incredible scale, but then we get Clark making out with Lois and the "he's kinda hot" line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom