• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superman-and-Wonder-Woman-from-Superman-Annual-11-1985.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Okay, so I was looking at the Hitman trades on IST and I realized whoever does the trades at DC has serious decision-making problems.

They started printing the TPBs with 5 or so issues each, with the first 5 volumes hovering around 130 pages. But then they were like "Shit. This will end up being a lot of TPBs." So they printed a NEW volume 5, ALSO starting at issue 23 (the first, 130-ish page volume 5 started at #23 and went to #27 or #28), but containing 14 issues, covering #23-#36. And then they finished off the series with two more 350ish page TPBs.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure the Hitman TPB collection looks very aesthetically pleasing on a shelf.

I like how Batman is just standing there half-jealous, half-enjoying watching them make out and Robin is standing there silently judging them for their inappropriate PDA.

Kipp

Its Hitman, you want it in whatever format you can get it

j0OvycGdJtliX.png

Oh, I'll definitely buy it soon, regardless of the nonsensical way it's collected. I love me some Ennis.
I haven't read Hitman yet, so I'm really looking forward to reading it. I just have to read all this other stuff I've already bought first. Haha

Edit: Also, very well done at continuing today's Wonder Woman theme. I almost thought I was going to derail the whole Wonder Woman train by bringing up Hitman, but you got everything back on track.

Someone asked for impressions of Batman By Doug Moench and Kelley Jones

It's a hardcover around 450 pages long that includes many 2-3 issue story arcs from the main title Batman book at that time. All the issues in this volume fall between issues 515-535 which was around 1995-1996.

Doug Moench was one of the writers of the Knightfall run which these stories reference. The main thing you need to know, Bane broke Batmans back. The first issue you read is a one shot where Batman is back after the events of Knightfall.

Brvk2uiIUAAah9G.jpg

I have only read the first 2 concurrent story arcs which like I said are just 2-3 issues long. It's really fun an unique. This Batman drawn by Kelly Jones with his long ears, looks like a demon. This Batman reminds you that he strikes fear into his foes. Even telling a bad guy that he does not die while looking full on demonic.

So far, I LOVE it! It's so unique. The stories I have read so far have been great small, quickly digestible stories. Great detective work, great Batman characterization and Bruce also. Very unique style.

The first story after the into story about being back involves a set of killings involving the victims hearts being cut out. Very supernatural story but grounded in reality. The Scooby-doo effect if you know what I mean.

I'll continue to review as I go.

frye

Okay, so I was looking at the Hitman trades on IST and I realized whoever does the trades at DC has serious decision-making problems.

They started printing the TPBs with 5 or so issues each, with the first 5 volumes hovering around 130 pages. But then they were like "Shit. This will end up being a lot of TPBs." So they printed a NEW volume 5, ALSO starting at issue 23 (the first, 130-ish page volume 5 started at #23 and went to #27 or #28), but containing 14 issues, covering #23-#36. And then they finished off the series with two more 350ish page TPBs.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure the Hitman TPB collection looks very aesthetically pleasing on a shelf.

They stopped trades of Suicide Squad and Shade the Changing Man after printing three volumes of each because the low sales didn't justify it (unlike Marvel, it looks like DC retroactively applied their royalty program to older books/creators). The smaller Hitman paperbacks were probably a similar thing where they wanted to test the waters before committing.

DC's new royalty program where the threshold to receive royalties on collections has gone from 1 copy to 3000 (if Rich is correct) is probably a way to fix this particular problem tbh

frye

also it's actually Robin who's jealous. Reminder that this story basically starts with him getting a boner after Wonder Woman kisses him on the cheek.

Messi

I haven't been able to read most of my books for the past two weeks. I am trying to save them for my flight to the US. That flight is around 9-10 hours. I really want to read my books. I've not even read Catwoman. Only Harley and SAGA recently :(

I haven't been able to read most of my books for the past two weeks. I am trying to save them for my flight to the US. That flight is around 9-10 hours. I really want to read my books. I've not even read Catwoman. Only Harley and SAGA recently :(

That's the way to do it, Messi! Just keep not reading Catwoman. Then, when you're ready, stop buying it, too.

Thor is definitely an amazing read. Plus you get THREE!

Which is that, specifically? I'm not huge on most Marvel superhero stuff, but I'd like to get in to Thor at least. I LOVE this art. I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to the superhero stuff, so pardon my ignorance.

Moench/Kelley Jones Batman is a good pick-up, glad they putting that in HC form

also it's actually Robin who's jealous. Reminder that this story basically starts with him getting a boner after Wonder Woman kisses him on the cheek.

think clean thoughts chum

Kipp

Someone asked for impressions of Batman By Doug Moench and Kelley Jones

It's a hardcover around 450 pages long that includes many 2-3 issue story arcs from the main title Batman book at that time. All the issues in this volume fall between issues 515-535 which was around 1995-1996.

Doug Moench was one of the writers of the Knightfall run which these stories reference. The main thing you need to know, Bane broke Batmans back. The first issue you read is a one shot where Batman is back after the events of Knightfall.

I have only read the first 2 concurrent story arcs which like I said are just 2-3 issues long. It's really fun an unique. This Batman drawn by Kelly Jones with his long ears, looks like a demon. This Batman reminds you that he strikes fear into his foes. Even telling a bad guy that he does not die while looking full on demonic.

So far, I LOVE it! It's so unique. The stories I have read so far have been great small, quickly digestible stories. Great detective work, great Batman characterization and Bruce also. Very unique style.

The first story after the into story about being back involves a set of killings involving the victims hearts being cut out. Very supernatural story but grounded in reality. The Scooby-doo effect if you know what I mean.

I'll continue to review as I go.

Awesome! Thanks for that! I'll definitely have to pick that up eventually, after I get through some of the stuff I already have.
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the rest of it too!

They stopped trades of Suicide Squad and Shade the Changing Man after printing three volumes of each because the low sales didn't justify it (unlike Marvel, it looks like DC retroactively applied their royalty program to older books/creators). The smaller Hitman paperbacks were probably a similar thing where they wanted to test the waters before committing.

DC's new royalty program where the threshold to receive royalties on collections has gone from 1 copy to 3000 (if Rich is correct) is probably a way to fix this particular problem tbh

Ah, very interesting. I hope the new royalty program does indeed help fix those issues.
And speaking of Shade the Changing Man, I really hope they reprint Milligan's run on that sometime, because I'd really like to read that.
From anyone who's read it, well, one, it's worth reading, right? And two, is the whole series one overarching story, or would I feel mostly satisfied if I only read the three TPBs (which go to issue 19)?

Oh lol. I had no clue. Was strictly going off that one image. I'm surprised I even got the "jealous" part right. Haha

Zombine

Banned
"Uncanny Avengers is the best X-Book on the market IMO. I mean...the first arc is shit, and the second arc is fucking horrible too. But come on, it's Remender. It's so good. Axis will be so good."
-Gaf*

*excludes JC

Owzers

Second Arc of Uncanny Avengers is the best arc, it felt like a natural progression after Uncanny X-Force whereas the first arc was "well i'm writing a book" and the third kinda went nuts.

Zombine

Banned
Most people agree with that, nobody knows who Zombine is supposedly mocking

I never hear anyone say anything overwhelmingly positive about that book, but everyone tells me to read it. Like, when I try to convince people why they should read a book, I vividly paid a picture of why it made me metaphysically jizz myself. The most I get from people is that it's kinda fair to middling for a Remender book, but I should read it anyways.

Edit: thank you, Kipp

Also, warning, I'm slightly intoxicated.

Kipp

There are a bunch of posts in old threads with people writing about why it rules but okay??

Also, warning, I'm slightly intoxicated.

Anyways, on a totally different subject, I read another issue of Garth Ennis's Dan Dare and the second issue was just as fantastic as the first. It's just 100% pure sci-fi goodness. It's a love letter to the old sci-fi comics and a great story in its own right as well.

Cheska

Hmmm, I thought the second arc was when the book picked up.

It was much better than the first arc, certainly. I don't think the book really hit its stride until the third arc, though. But the second arc was fine, IMO. I guess it's cool to shit on it now.

Most people agree with that, nobody knows who Zombine is supposedly mocking

We don't all have to love the same things. I like Remender. I like the Avengers. However, I feel like I'm forcing myself to read through this arc because I don't personally give a fuck about the twins or Kang. I'm not saying the writing is bad, and the art is gorgeous, but it's just pretty boring to me.

We don't all have to love the same things. I like Remender. I like the Avengers. However, I feel like I'm forcing myself to read through this arc because I don't personally give a fuck about the twins or Kang. I'm not saying the writing is bad, and the art is gorgeous, but it's just pretty boring to me.

That's cool and all but uhh lets not pretend that "GAF" was hating on that book cuz the praise far outweighed the negative at the time

Kipp

Thank you again Kipper. Cheska got my back too.

No problem. :p
I'm more than happy to be your interpreter. For some reason, nobody else understands slightly intoxicated Zombine but me. And Cheska I suppose.

With that said, Cheska probably ought to take over interpreting duties for the night since I gotta head to bed. Yay for going to sleep at 8:30pm on the 4th of July.

I've only read the first three arcs of Uncanny Avengers (trade waiting) but I absolutely love that shit. The first arc was slow but I was totally on board with the plot and drama among the team. I thought the second and third arcs were absolutely amazing and I loved Kang and the twins.

I may even just buy the floppies of the fourth arc just so I don't have to wait for the next trade. It's a damn good book.

PsychBat!

Banned
Uncanny is fun and all but I was turned off with the last issue. SW declaring her love to Wonder Man? It's a pairing I'm not a fan of. I'm putting that mildly.

And that's not the only problem the book has.

arkon

Look at the publishing dates for those two editions of volume 5 though. 10 years! That's a fucking long time. Who's to say it was the same person or department making that decision?

I'm just glad they went through with the series all the way to the end.

Cheska

The only issue of the second arc of Uncanny Avengers that I liked was the last one with
the team facing the Horsemen.
Onto Vol 3!

For anyone who has yet to experience this, here's a free code for all of Volume 2. Quote to see the code in the e-mail tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom