• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Kipp said:
Having only gotten into comics in the past year-ish, I wasn't really around to hear good things about TWD, only bad things, so I kind of forgot that it used to be really good. So would you suggest picking up the compendium that has 1-48? I'm not really into zombies, but I do enjoy good comics.

Yes, I always refer people to the compendium to start off with. The stories within that book are gold, and the reason why The Walking Dead picked up as a franchise to begin with. I will say though that if you enjoy it as much as I did, when you hit the last page of the final issue in the compendium you might as well pick up the second one then catch up. That book at it's absolute weakest is the "event" that just happened, but like I've said a dozen times, it's a prelude to the real story. Right now things are kicked off fresh again.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yeah i had no problem picking up 10-15 page books this time due to them being half off

still debating if i want to just get the Bandette issues for three dollars or get the swank hardcover

why_not_both.gif

SRG01

So, I've been getting kind of bored with my current comics: * X-men, * Avengers, Spiderman, and a few other ones. Any recommendations on what I should pick up? Perhaps Thor? Or TMNT?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yes, I always refer people to the compendium to start off with. The stories within that book are gold, and the reason why The Walking Dead picked up as a franchise to begin with. I will say though that if you enjoy it as much as I did, when you hit the last page of the final issue in the compendium you might as well pick up the second one then catch up. That book at it's absolute weakest is the "event" that just happened, but like I've said a dozen times, it's a prelude to the real story. Right now things are kicked off fresh again.

Okay, sweet. I'll definitely pick that up sometime then.

fauxtrot

Banned
Speaking of the Monkeybrain sale, has anyone read Red Light Properties? The art isn't really my style but the premise sounds interesting enough.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So a book I haven't read much discussion about in here has been "Figment" by Marvel/Disney Kingdoms.

It's two issues in so far and is essentially the story of an inventor who starts to turn his imagination into matter. I'm honestly not sure if this is a character from Disney's history, but it's been a pleasure to read so far.

Figment was created for Epcot back in '83. He and the inventor are stars of the Journey Into Imagination attraction.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. Has anyone here read Garth Ennis's Dan Dare? On a whim a while ago, I picked up the "omnibus" which is all 10-ish issues he did for something like $2 used.
None of the comics I've tried reading this past week (while I wait for my IST order to arrive so I can continue reading Unknown Soldier) have really been clicking, so I decided I might as well give Ennis's Dan Dare a shot.
I just read the first issue of it, and oh man. I totally dig it. I haven't read any other Dan Dare stuff and know nothing at all about Dan Dare, but so far, it's just a super cool sci-fi/space story. Pretty much what you'd expect an Ennis sci-fi/space book would be (it's not vulgar like other Ennis stuff though; it seems he completely held back on the vulgarity for Dan Dare, which works well for it so far).
I'll probably talk more about it once I read more, but having just read one issue, I'm super excited to read more of it. Without knowing before I started it, I think this is exactly what I wanted to read. Comics are so good.

But seriously, getting back to the question I opened with: has anyone else read this? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere (which led me to assume it was going to be pretty lame). I wouldn't know it even existed if I hadn't typed "Garth Ennis" into the GoHastings search engine and decided to buy it since it was so cheap.

So, I've been getting kind of bored with my current comics: * X-men, * Avengers, Spiderman, and a few other ones. Any recommendations on what I should pick up? Perhaps Thor? Or TMNT?
Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and Superior Foes of Spider-Man!

TMNT is great too

Just caught up on all 19 pages of the thread. Shame that I missed the clown shoes Quietly Catwoman drawing. Dude is the worst.

I finally caught up with all of Daredevil Vol 3 last night. It might be my favorite take on him yet. I haven't read the full Bendis or Brubaker runs yet, which I intend to do soon, so that will be the ultimate test.

I'm clearing out a massive backlog right now and looking for advice on what to read next. My main choices are the full series of:

1) Bone
2) Punisher MAX
3) Sin City
4) Sandman
5) 100 Bullets

I'll eventually read all of these, but I'm looking for advice on which is the "must read."

Cade

Karl Kerschl who is the artist for the newly announced Gotham Academy, posted this on Twitter, a future variant cover of a book not GA. I love the style!

Edit - Added another.

Is this guy incapable of drawing pelvis regions? Wonder Woman's whole hipthigh region is like a big circle and Wonder... Girl? (?) is similar. Otherwise I like it, Batman's cowl reminds me of Gatchaman

EDIT: DAMN YOU FLAXKNUCKLES

Just caught up on all 19 pages of the thread. Shame that I missed the clown shoes Quietly Catwoman drawing. Dude is the worst.

I finally caught up with all of Daredevil Vol 3 last night. It might be my favorite take on him yet. I haven't read the full Bendis or Brubaker runs yet, which I intend to do soon, so that will be the ultimate test.

I'm clearing out a massive backlog right now and looking for advice on what to read next. My main choices are the full series of:

1) Bone
2) Punisher MAX
3) Sin City
4) Sandman
5) 100 Bullets

I'll eventually read all of these, but I'm looking for advice on which is the "must read."

Sandman or punisher Max

fauxtrot

Banned

1) Bone
2) Punisher MAX
3) Sin City
4) Sandman
5) 100 Bullets

Depends on what you're looking for, but I can't ever pass up suggesting Bone. Any of those choices would serve you well though, so just pick the one that best fits your mood!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Oh yeah, Manhattan Projects should definitely be on my to-read list, I always keep forgetting about it. I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the reminder.

No problem. Also you might want to look Into another ongoing "Prophet" by Brandom Graham. The only thing is you will need a basic understanding of "Youngblood" characters to really know wtf is going on.

fauxtrot

Banned
Even that WW has thigh gap, and each of her thighs are thicker than her head!

She makes Chun-Li look reasonably proportioned.

gerg

Even that WW has thigh gap, and each of her thighs are thicker than her head!

She makes Chun-Li look reasonably proportioned.

She also has a magical top that is at the same time partly metallic and shaped, and yet does nothing to alter the natural fall of her bust whatsoever.

MartyStu

BpKjXyFIQAAvZ-6.jpg

I think I have finally accepted the nu52 costume changes. This actually looks good.

Is that hack still writing the book?

I think I have finally accepted the nu52 costume changes. This actually looks good.

Nope, Will Pfeifer is writing, never read anything by him myself. Kenneth Rocafort is drawing, which could be good. I like that the hood being removed from Wonder Girl's costume makes it like 50% better

ReiGun

BpKjXyFIQAAvZ-6.jpg

I've always liked the TT's nu52 suits save Red Robin's. And even that would be fine with a few alterations. Wonder Girl, Bunker, and Beast Boy's suits I especially enjoy.

I just wish they could get some better artists drawing them in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom