• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got a good Hellblazer reading order? Between the TV show coming soon and tearing through the Dresden Files, I finally want to tackle this series. I have only read the occasional story here and there, and that was quite awhile ago.

EDIT: Not sure which of the sales you mean Mike, but I will attempt to be your guide:

Captain America Sale: The Marvel NOW series is good all the way through, I'd also recommend The New Deal (Captain America Vol. 4 #1-6) for some stunning John Cassaday art (the Fight Terror cover is one of my all-time favourites).

Dynamite Recent Hits: It's worth noting that the Dynamite Humble Bundle is still going, and you get an awful lot there for your money. From stuff that is not in the bundle, I'll go with the Gold Key books (Solar, Magnus, Spektor), Flash Gordon and Robotech/Voltron if you're nostalgic for either property.

IDW Patriots: I enjoyed what I read of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series, but be advised it's a continuation of the Marvel series and there's little attempt to catch people up.

We have lots of knowledgeable Batfans here, so you're covered on Nightwing recs.

Messi

Took me a very long time to enjoy the show. My Girlfriend who loves all things Walking Dead told me to stop being an overly critical
douche and just appreciate it for what it is. The books have a lot more depth, and are incredibly violent and fast moving. If you continue you read the books you could storm through the series in about 3 days.

Yeah that is taking some time to get used to. It is moving so fast and fucked up shit keeps on happening.

Zombine

Banned
Never thought I would hear TWD be called fast paced......

When I was playing catch up a few years back, I burned through the "Book"
Format faster than a California wildfire. I actuallys envy those that are behind, because Walking Dead reads better when it's collected.

Cade

who is kipp?

if your not feeling fear agent check out Planetary, or if your really up to it Sandman and its spiritual sequel lucifer.

Also maybe check out Heck by Zander Cannon its like Doc Savage meets Dante's Inferno.
Kipp is another dude who posts here and tells me of the virtues of Fear Agent regularly.

Oh, I did read Planetary. Great, great book. Sandman is a good one, I have been meaning to read that.
Fear Agent and Black Science ain't really the same. They're spiritually the same, flawed protagonist trying to navigate crazy sci fi fuckups whle attempting to save something, whether it be Earth or his family, but otherwise, Fear Agent is way more Southern drunken space cowboy whose world keeps going to shit, with a huge dose of Mark Twain infused wisdom. Black Science is more modern anarchist dude trying to save his kids and team from dying while bouncing through the multiverse and coming to terms with being an arrogant asshole.

Honestly, read both. They're both excellent and both feature talented artists. Fear Agent made Rick Remender an important writer for me. Black Science, and everything else he does, cements his importance.
Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot then. I do want to like Fear Agent, it just hasn't clicked with me the couple times I've tried.
Guys I miss Hawkeye

:(
Hawkeye? You mean that book from the ancient past when times were good?
The current Captain America series by Rick Remender is great.
I only read the first two trades but oh man, is it ever.

so with Uncannny Avengers current arc(Kangs forces) we have officially at the end of the Timeline Which makes sense because shit is about to go down soon with time runs out

AvengersTimeline3.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I hate how everyone of McKelvie's faces has their mouth slightly open. Every. Time.

That's cos they're talking. Better than Mark Buckingham - I ruined Fables for my wife by pointing out that he never draws people with their mouths open, making the art feel really weird and claustrophobic.

That's cos they're talking. Better than Mark Buckingham - I ruined Fables for my wife by pointing out that he never draws people with their mouths open, making the art feel really weird and claustrophobic.
He does it when they are not talking though. Like they are perpetually confused. Like Jeff Lemire's character have that look of, "Why did you draw me?"

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He does it when they are not talking though. Like they are perpetually confused. Like Jeff Lemire's character have that look of, "Why did you draw me?"

All of Jeff Lemire's people have sad eyes.

DustinC

Hey comics-GAF, I constantly lurk but never post, however I wanted to thank the lot of you for promoting various books as I've dived back into comics over the past year or so! Stuff like Saga and Rat Queens, for instance, I don't think I ever would have tried without keeping an eye on this thread every month.

Current favs in no particular order:

Uncanny Avengers (and pretty much everything Remender)
Saga
Batman
Thor: God of Thunder
Daredevil
Iron Fist

I started a sub to Marvel a couple months back, and I've caught up on a ton of stuff that I've missed. I dropped off of reading comics around '06-'07, so that sub has been pretty helpful. Really wish DC had something similar.

I guess I am one of the few that isn't ph my heck into Uncanny Avengers. Probably my least favorite Remender ongoing. It's more of a MAX title than one that will change the Marvel U forever....

Cheska

Hey comics-GAF, I constantly lurk but never post, however I wanted to thank the lot of you for promoting various books as I've dived back into comics over the past year or so! Stuff like Saga and Rat Queens, for instance, I don't think I ever would have tried without keeping an eye on this thread every month.

Current favs in no particular order:

Uncanny Avengers (and pretty much everything Remender)
Saga
Batman
Thor: God of Thunder
Daredevil
Iron Fist

I started a sub to Marvel a couple months back, and I've caught up on a ton of stuff that I've missed. I dropped off of reading comics around '06-'07, so that sub has been pretty helpful. Really wish DC had something similar.

Welcome to the best group around GAF :)

And excellent taste on those comics!

Owzers

The Wake HC is 50% off at DCBS, how excited should i be to order it? Also The Woods vol 1 , issues 1-4, is 4.99...is that worth getting? I might wait for digital sales since i doubt the trades will be that well-priced going forward.

Hello friend, have you heard the good word of Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Bii

Guys I miss Hawkeye

:(

Me too. :(

Those are some really good books. Feel free to express your opinions on any books you do/don't like, we're all a fun bunch here. I, too, lurked for a while before mustering up some courage to post. Hope you pop in and out every now and then. :)

-

Amazing Spider-Man #2

This whole issue's a mess. We have some crazy chick (Silk?) who watchs Spidey VHS tapes to study him. Peter then confesses
he is Spider-Man to Anna Maria. And how does she react? By baking some cookies and then leaving
. We then get sidetracked where Spidey is givin shit by the Avengers. And finally Peter Parker is doing what with Parker Industries?!
Using resources to build a super villain prison!
. That won't go over well. I've no idea where all of this is heading.

Bonus picture: Electro goes to see his (girl)friend and they got some good tongue action going.

This message is brought to you by Starbucks™. Where you can find our luxurious milk and sugar drinks with a dash of actual coffee for the price of an arm and a leg.
Life happens over coffee.

Anyone wants the Marvel digital code to Amazing Spider-Man #2? First person to reply requesting it will get my PM.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so with Uncannny Avengers current arc(Kangs forces) we have officially at the end of the Timeline Which makes sense because shit is about to go down soon with time runs out

AvengersTimeline3.jpg

actually I think Captain America takes place further in the timeline than Uncanny because Nick Fury Jr mentioned keeping that shield mech for the next time a celestial executioner shows up.

Cheska

So a book I haven't read much discussion about in here has been "Figment" by Marvel/Disney Kingdoms.

It's two issues in so far and is essentially the story of an inventor who starts to turn his imagination into matter. I'm honestly not sure if this is a character from Disney's history, but it's been a pleasure to read so far.

I know some of you had reservations about Felipe Andrade's art in Captain Marvel, and even though I was personally a fan of his issues, his work really shines here. It's accompanied by the colors of Jean-Francois Beaulieu, who also had coloring duties on Rocket Raccoon this week, and I just absolutely love his direction. Like, I think he's a close second to Jordie.

I'm no Bii, but here's an example of a page I found beautiful.

LKRA0VUl.jpg

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Kipp is another dude who posts here and tells me of the virtues of Fear Agent regularly.

Oh, I did read Planetary. Great, great book. Sandman is a good one, I have been meaning to read that.

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot then. I do want to like Fear Agent, it just hasn't clicked with me the couple times I've tried.

Hawkeye? You mean that book from the ancient past when times were good?

I only read the first two trades but oh man, is it ever.

Ahh ok then Kipp has great taste. Also have you tried the manhattan projects? its a ongoing from Hickman. Its sort of meandering right now but the first couple of trades are top notch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Me too. :(

Those are some really good books. Feel free to express your opinions on any books you do/don't like, we're all a fun bunch here. I, too, lurked for a while before mustering up some courage to post. Hope you pop in and out every now and then. :)

-

Amazing Spider-Man #2

This whole issue's a mess. We have some crazy chick (Silk?) who watchs Spidey VHS tapes to study him. Peter then confesses
he is Spider-Man to Anna Maria. And how does she react? By baking some cookies and then leaving
. We then get sidetracked where Spidey is givin shit by the Avengers. And finally Peter Parker is doing what with Parker Industries?!
Using resources to build a super villain prison!
. That won't go over well. I've no idea where all of this is heading.

Bonus picture: Electro goes to see his (girl)friend and they got some good tongue action going.

This message is brought to you by Starbucks™. Where you can find our luxurious milk and sugar drinks with a dash of actual coffee for the price of an arm and a leg.
Life happens over coffee.

Anyone wants the Marvel digital code to Amazing Spider-Man #2? First person to reply requesting it will get my PM.
I Would love it, if I could become the code :D

How is Barnes and Noble's packaging for books compared to IST & CGN?

Amazon has what I want as well but after they put 3 paperbacks in a package with nothing but one of those air bubble things, I was pretty much done buying books from them.

Cade

Ahh ok then Kipp has great taste. Also have you tried the manhattan projects? its a ongoing from Hickman. Its sort of meandering right now but the first couple of trades are top notch.

Oh yeah, Manhattan Projects should definitely be on my to-read list, I always keep forgetting about it. I'll definitely look into it, thanks for the reminder.

Cheska

Amazon has what I want as well but after they put 3 paperbacks in a package with nothing but one of those air bubble things, I was pretty much done buying books from them.

I order from Barnes and Noble's quite frequently thanks to my membership card and those 15/20% off codes they send me. They don't ship nearly as securely as IST, it's almost almost just the air bubble mailers. With that said, I have yet to receive anything damaged by them, unlike Amazon.

I've only ordered from them a few times but my books have never been damaged.

IST is just on another level when it comes to packaging

Zombine

Banned
Amazon.com could not give less of a shit about your books unless your books came in green or blue cases and had discs inside of them. That's the only time your books are packed nicely.

Fuck that place.

I haven't! I did read all of Slott's Superior run, but haven't got around to checking out Foes. I'll do this soon!
Lol it has almost nothing to do with Spidey (he was in the first issue and a shitty filler issue). It's a comedy series about a team of lousy super villains and it's a riot. It's my favorite ongoing right now, I highly recommend it!

Bii

So a book I haven't read much discussion about in here has been "Figment" by Marvel/Disney Kingdoms.

It's two issues in so far and is essentially the story of an inventor who starts to turn his imagination into matter. I'm honestly not sure if this is a character from Disney's history, but it's been a pleasure to read so far.

I know some of you had reservations about Felipe Andrade's art in Captain Marvel, and even though I was personally a fan of his issues, his work really shines here. It's accompanied by the colors of Jean-Francois Beaulieu, who also had coloring duties on Rocket Raccoon this week, and I just absolutely love his direction. Like, I think he's a close second to Jordie.

I'm no Bii, but here's an example of a page I found beautiful.

http://i.imgur.com/LKRA0VUl.jpg

That looks really pretty! I've seen them at my LCS but never bothered to give them a quick look-through.

I've ordered from B&N a few times and have never received my books damaged.

Amazon.com could not give less of a shit about your books unless your books came in green or blue cases and had discs inside of them. That's the only time your books are packed nicely.

Fuck that place.

I recently ordered two trades from Amazon and they were packed together in the flat cardboard wrap-around envelope that prevents it from bending, but does not protect it from moving around inside. Needless to say, there were a few scratches and damaged corners. Fortunately, I'm not too anal when it comes to a book's condition, but I can see why others would take issue with it. As long it's not completely mangled, I'm okay with it. <_<

Chinner

Banned
Still Edmonson writing on the cover isn't it? Guest/rotating artists are par for the course in modern comics btw, hardly anyone can do monthly any more.

But yeah I agree with Bii, I'm not feeling this run so much. I like how grounded it is, but it's pretty slow and light on the surprises. It feels like a b-tier shooter.

nah, pretty sure it's a guest writer whos working in 'collaboration' with edmonson. i know what you mean though, it started off strong, and the elements of it are good. i just think its lacking a definitive story line and enemy at the moment.

i'm a punisher fanboy so i'll stick with it though. not like it's bad, there's a lot of action thrown about but its not all memorable. need to do more world building, set up stakes and then knock it out with an iconic fight scene.

Zombine

Banned
I recently ordered two trades from Amazon and they were packed together in the flat cardboard wrap-around envelope that prevents it from bending, but does not protect it from moving around inside. Needless to say, there were a few scratches and damaged corners. Fortunately, I'm not too anal when it comes to a book's condition, but I can see why others would take issue with it. As long it's not completely mangled, I'm okay with it. <_<

I envy you. They must have been rather thin trades to get the flat pack treatment. I've only gotten the shrink wrapped cardboard once. Every other time my book arrives in a mangled, soggy, damaged box with no interior protection. It's pretty awful, and it pisses me off more being a prime member.

Is there anything good in the Comixology sale? I don't own a single thing on there.

I just picked up a ton of Monkeybrain stuff. Note that the "Indie" promo code works for all their titles. Here are a few suggestion.

Anti-Hero - Written by Jay Faerber who used to write for the big two, but has gone completely indie these days. It's the noirish story of a henchman blackmailing a superhero into helping him become the next kingpin of crime. As great as it is, It is only 10 pages an issue.

High Time - Eisner nominated comic with one helluva hook: Mountain climbing company finds corpses on Everest to ransom back to the families, etc. Things go sideways when one of the corpses happens to belong to a spy agency.

Subatomic Party Girls - Written by Comics Alliance's Chris Sims, it's a wacky comedy following a 3 piece all girl rock band...IN SPACE!!!

Edison Rex - The flagship book for Monkeybrain that asks the question what if Lex Luthor killed Superman, what would he do next? Goddamn save the world.

Bandette - Eisner winning comic about the adventures of a super theif. Love the art and has a very whimsical Tin Tin feel to it all.

D4ve - the entire series just ended. Takes place in a galaxy where the robots manage to kill all organic life and then they become...just like humans..going to nine to five jobs and looking back at the good old days. Hilarious, filthy and some lovely Darrowesque art work.

Headspace - Sherif wanders the mind of a serial killer. Trippy as hell.

Knuckleheads - Comedy in which a bunch of slackers get the power cosmic. Haven't read this one yet, but it is getting a print edition via IDW.

Street Angel - A reprint of a classic indie book from the early aughts. Never go to read it, but it involves a time travelling homeless skateboarder fighting ninjas and pirates.

Double Life of Miranda Turner - A woman takes over the costumed identity of her dead sister, fighting bad guys and solving mysteries with the help of her dead sister's ghost. A fun all-ages romp.

The Remains - Horror comic written by Cullen Bunn (Magneto, Sixth Gun, Sinestro) involving little girls and rats.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Ahh ok then Kipp has great taste.

Why thank you! :p

Anyone got a good Hellblazer reading order? Between the TV show coming soon and tearing through the Dresden Files, I finally want to tackle this series. I have only read the occasional story here and there, and that was quite awhile ago.

I realize I'm not technically answering your questions, but I do know that Vertigo has been putting out new TPBs of Hellblazer that are in chronological order, so you'd just have to pick up the volumes in order and you'll be reading it in the correct reading order presumably. They're really thick TPBs and really cheap, so I'd definitely recommend picking those up. Also, as of yesterday, they're all 45% off on IST (compared to 42% normally), so that's something.

Issue 1-48 are perfection. One of my favorite stories of all time. 49-90ish introduce a ton of
Amazing characters and is another fun arc. The pre-All Out War arc is incredibly interesting. Negan is a super fun antagonist. All Out War was treated like an "event" but in reality it's just the prelude to the current arc which is just as good as the initial 50 issues so far.

Typed that out fast, spoiler free, but you need to stick with it.

Having only gotten into comics in the past year-ish, I wasn't really around to hear good things about TWD, only bad things, so I kind of forgot that it used to be really good. So would you suggest picking up the compendium that has 1-48? I'm not really into zombies, but I do enjoy good comics.

In the Nelsen rating survey, 1 person = 1000 people.

1 Zombine = 1000 people.

You just got 1000 people to read Martha Washington.

Awww yes. I think I should start applying that math to other aspects of my life. I'd be a much more accomplished person. Then again, things could get real bad if I applied that to negative parts of my life too.

Or I could go with the cockroach theory. For every one you see, there are a hundred others. So I just got 100 people to read Martha Washington.

Better yet, I could use BOTH theories. I JUST GOT 100,000 PEOPLE TO READ MARTHA WASHINGTON. You're welcome, Frank Miller and Dave Gibbons. I sure hope they get some form of royalties.

I order from Barnes and Noble's quite frequently thanks to my membership card and those 15/20% off codes they send me. They don't ship nearly as securely as IST, it's almost almost just the air bubble mailers. With that said, I have yet to receive anything damaged by them, unlike Amazon.

I've only ordered from them a few times but my books have never been damaged.

IST is just on another level when it comes to packaging

I've ordered from B&N a few times and have never received my books damaged.

Hmmm...alright. I might not even have a choice next week anyway.

Thanks.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yup, the Monkeybrain sale convinced me to pick up Bandette, Edison Rex, D4VE, High Crimes, and Thoughts on a Morning Winter.

If $.50 per issue sales were the norm, I'd spend a hell of a lot more money at Comixology.

Yeah i had no problem picking up 10-15 page books this time due to them being half off

still debating if i want to just get the Bandette issues for three dollars or get the swank hardcover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom