• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soodanim

I've just thought: is Comixology the best place to get my stuff? I want to go all digital, because finding space for physical books would be a nightmare. I haven't even considered Marvel's one apps/store, nor DC's. I'm not too fussed about owning, so if there's some sort of Netflix-ish style subscription I'd be okay with it.

What about sales? There's one right now on Comixology, is that the sort of thing I can expect throughout the year? I'm slightly worried, because I spent £10 in the blink of an eye. This could be dangerous.

The current Captain America series by Rick Remender is great.
Just picked up the first 10 of that, thanks. At first I added the complete volumes, but then I realised that although individual titles are on sale they don't adjust the volume price. That's not great.
EDIT: Not sure which of the sales you mean Mike, but I will attempt to be your guide:

Captain America Sale: The Marvel NOW series is good all the way through, I'd also recommend The New Deal (Captain America Vol. 4 #1-6) for some stunning John Cassaday art (the Fight Terror cover is one of my all-time favourites).

Dynamite Recent Hits: It's worth noting that the Dynamite Humble Bundle is still going, and you get an awful lot there for your money. From stuff that is not in the bundle, I'll go with the Gold Key books (Solar, Magnus, Spektor), Flash Gordon and Robotech/Voltron if you're nostalgic for either property.

IDW Patriots: I enjoyed what I read of the G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero series, but be advised it's a continuation of the Marvel series and there's little attempt to catch people up.

We have lots of knowledgeable Batfans here, so you're covered on Nightwing recs.
Thanks for writing all of that, I'll have a look at it all. I have no nostalgia for any of those, but I'll see if the previews catch my attention. And thanks for reminding me that Humble bundles exist! I've been ignoring them because before now I haven't read any comics, but they seem ideal. I'll have to take at look.

I just picked up a ton of Monkeybrain stuff. Note that the "Indie" promo code works for all their titles. Here are a few suggestion.

Anti-Hero - Written by Jay Faerber who used to write for the big two, but has gone completely indie these days. It's the noirish story of a henchman blackmailing a superhero into helping him become the next kingpin of crime. As great as it is, It is only 10 pages an issue.

High Time - Eisner nominated comic with one helluva hook: Mountain climbing company finds corpses on Everest to ransom back to the families, etc. Things go sideways when one of the corpses happens to belong to a spy agency.

Subatomic Party Girls - Written by Comics Alliance's Chris Sims, it's a wacky comedy following a 3 piece all girl rock band...IN SPACE!!!

Edison Rex - The flagship book for Monkeybrain that asks the question what if Lex Luthor killed Superman, what would he do next? Goddamn save the world.

Bandette - Eisner winning comic about the adventures of a super theif. Love the art and has a very whimsical Tin Tin feel to it all.

D4ve - the entire series just ended. Takes place in a galaxy where the robots manage to kill all organic life and then they become...just like humans..going to nine to five jobs and looking back at the good old days. Hilarious, filthy and some lovely Darrowesque art work.

Headspace - Sherif wanders the mind of a serial killer. Trippy as hell.

Knuckleheads - Comedy in which a bunch of slackers get the power cosmic. Haven't read this one yet, but it is getting a print edition via IDW.

Street Angel - A reprint of a classic indie book from the early aughts. Never go to read it, but it involves a time travelling homeless skateboarder fighting ninjas and pirates.

Double Life of Miranda Turner - A woman takes over the costumed identity of her dead sister, fighting bad guys and solving mysteries with the help of her dead sister's ghost. A fun all-ages romp.

The Remains - Horror comic written by Cullen Bunn (Magneto, Sixth Gun, Sinestro) involving little girls and rats.
Haha! Thanks for those, I'm new to comics so I don't know anything about anything that isn't the big 2. But some of those sound crazy and interesting, so I'll take a look, thanks. Is "indie" the code?

kmfdmpig

Anyways, on a totally different subject, I read another issue of Garth Ennis's Dan Dare and the second issue was just as fantastic as the first. It's just 100% pure sci-fi goodness. It's a love letter to the old sci-fi comics and a great story in its own right as well.
I read it a few months ago in the midst of an ennis kick and liked it.

Messi

Haha! Thanks for those, I'm new to comics so I don't know anything about anything that isn't the big 2. But some of those sound crazy and interesting, so I'll take a look, thanks. Is "indie" the code?

Oh wow, I envy being in your position. Check out Image comics books. Some fantastic reads to be had from them. Give Saga a look. Most newcomers seem to love it. After that you will fall down the rabbit hole. Enjoy :)

--

Thank you Cheska. I redeemed that code for Uncanny Avengers. Been looking forward to reading that but didn't get a chance to before.

Cheska

....And vol 3 of Uncanny Avengers was the exact opposite of vol 2. Fucking fantastic and so good to the point that I couldn't even set it down despite an early start for work tomorrow (today). It had the perfect amount of action and especially interpersonal relationships. I'm not sure I can wait until September to get the next trade, but boy will it be expensive to catch up on floppies if I go that route :(

Thank you Cheska. I redeemed that code for Uncanny Avengers. Been looking forward to reading that but didn't get a chance to before.

YAY! You're welcome :)

Messi

....And vol 3 of Uncanny Avengers was the exact opposite of vol 2. Fucking fantastic and so good to the point that I couldn't even set it down despite an early start for work tomorrow (today). It had the perfect amount of action and especially interpersonal relationships. I'm not sure I can wait until September to get the next trade, but boy will it be expensive to catch up on floppies if I go that route :(

You could go digitally no?

Peer pressure got to you..... :)

Messi

They're still 3.99/4.99 :(

I already owned all three volumes, I was just stuck on two for a long time. I personally preferred the first arc to the second, but ultimately it was 3>1>2.

I think I'm finally going to read those Ultimate Spidey trades next now.

Oh that's pretty shitty Marvel.

Cheska

I have to say though, I'm happy for these stories and the All New Marvel Now initiative as it has allowed me to like some characters I've had no affection for in the past. Most notably Black Widow and Scarlet Witch.

Also I shamelessly support (Uncanny Avengers spoilers)
#TeamSimon, I always found the Vision to be wierd.

Yeah, I trade-wait the Marvelman reprint stuff because it's $4.99 per issue lololololol. One day, all Marvel books will be $4.99 per issue. And the day that happens will be the day I cut Marvel out of my life forever.

But how else will you get to enjoy the thrill of the polybag experience?

Chinner

Banned
Yeah, I trade-wait the Marvelman reprint stuff because it's $4.99 per issue lololololol. One day, all Marvel books will be $4.99 per issue. And the day that happens will be the day I cut Marvel out of my life forever.

when that day happens, you might as well rename this thread to the harley quinn and batman: the thread.

Ah that's a shame. She was probably shitty as Robin too. If her as Batgirl is anything to go by.

It was something along the lines of being told not to do something on her first mission and proceeding to do that something and Batman telling her to fuck off.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I included an asteroid on my original post for JC.

Amazing

Look at the publishing dates for those two editions of volume 5 though. 10 years! That's a fucking long time. Who's to say it was the same person or department making that decision?

I'm just glad they went through with the series all the way to the end.

Oh wow. 10 years? I guess that explains that.
It's a miracle DC actually completed the series in trades then I guess.

I read it a few months ago in the midst of an ennis kick and liked it.

Glad to know someone else has read and liked it!

Zombine

Banned

If most premium marvel books hit $4.99 I will have no issue dropping every single X-Men book I read. Those prices are abhorrent and reinforce the idea that these are books for adults with reading levels for children.

If I'm paying $4.99 for a marvel book, there better be fucks flying everywhere uncensored.

Lol that was so stupid I'm not even going to change it. I am a machine, though. Get a little buzzed for 'Merica and I'm up before 8 talking about comics. I'm dedicated to this lifestyle.

lazygecko

Loving the art for the new Robocop from Boom.

http://www.comicbookcritic.net/preview-robocop-1-joshua-williamson-carlos-magno/

robocop_001_press-5fxkq6.jpg

And the covers too

http://www.boom-studios.com/robocop-01-boom-exclusive-cover.html

About to start reading King City, i bought it months ago based on some recommendation i guess. Am i in for something good or should i rather go read something else like GL: The Sinestro Corps War that i also have lying around unread hmmm...

Marvel will go 4.99 next year. Cue ViewtifulJC with the Axel impersonation.....

"I'm thrilled by the announcement, and we'll be talking about this more in the future. Creators' response has been overwhelmingly positive; they're looking forward to working just that bit harder to provide the bang for your bucks. Big things are coming down the pipeline that will affect the entire Marvel Universe, and readers will not want to miss being on the ground floor."

Erasing adrenaline junkie Stephanie was the best thing the New 52 did.

image.php
I would kill for another "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen" omgoing
"I'm thrilled by the announcement, and we'll be talking about this more in the future. Creators' response has been overwhelmingly positive; they're looking forward to working just that bit harder to provide the bang for your bucks. Big things are coming down the pipeline that will affect the entire Marvel Universe, and readers will not want to miss being on the ground floor."
Don'tforget, "much like a pair of Jordan's, it's a seal of quality."

So when are we going to get the event that kills off the Fantastic Four and the X-men and replaces them with Inhuman clones whose powers include changing the back story enough to use them in Marvel films?

So when are we going to get the event that kills off the Fantastic Four and the X-men and replaces them with Inhuman clones whose powers include changing the back story enough to use them in Marvel films?
That reminds me, I just can't get hyped for Axis. Hyping up the next great mArvel U changing event forever during the event, come on brahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom