• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Glad to hear that it's pretty good. Do you know how many issues it's gonna go for (assuming it's a limited series)?

Dunno TBH, far as I can tell I wouldn't be surprised if
a) It ends up being a miniseries
b) Gets canceled after a dozen or so issues

Regardless I'm hoping for some good stories.

Owzers

Only 20 books and 2 trades for July's DCBS order...record low thanks to DC's future end one-shot month that was part of last month's pre-order cycle. 50% off trade picks this time were The Wake HC and Southern Bastards tp, skipped the second volume of Green Arrow by Lemire for now to see if it collects the rest of his run since he's leaving at 35 and since i struggled to get through volume 1.

Finished Unwritten vol 6, moved on to 7 and finished that too. While i'm not a fan of what happened to the story
Leviathan giant fishy whale who feeds on stories...
i'm still enjoying the series. vol 3 , 4, and 5, seem like a rather weak middle to this saga though.

Lmao, I can never take any status quo changes made by Remender seriously because everyone else just ignores them. Seeing Steve as an old man on the Avengers 35 cover tho..... hmmm.

Batman Year Two is really something else man

Batman teams up with Joe Chill, the man who MURDERED HIS PARENTS, using the exact same gun that killed his parents. This is a thing that happen. Joe Chill kills a guy and Batman's like "Hey bro...don't do that shit, ok? that's not cool man"

year209.jpg

People that don't like Steph as Batgirl are the enemy of the state.

That book was stellar.
my MAN
Everything about the current run and Babs is better though.
The art isn't even as good, and that Steph run was mostly house style. good house style though.
Ooh, so IST has a new batch of DC books for 65% off
http://www.instocktrades.com/specials/38/DC+Sale+#2

Most notably, there are quite a few Legion books there, including the two Waid TPBs. I could very possibly pick those up.
been meaning to continue Waid Legion, I think i'll add that to the cart.

rofl, "Sachs and Violens." wonder what you're fuckin going for with that one. and then you realize it's by Peter David and George Perez. wtf

Boogiepop

Don't talk about stuff you don't know, mate.

Oi, that's like judging ComicGAF as liking shitty writing and tolerating it for art.

The Sonic comic has been fantastic for years now, and has only been going up. Its recent reboot hasn't even affected its quality. Heck the reboot itself was more well received than DC's Nu52.

The only reason I don't post about the series here is cuz you guys just seem too dull to appreciate or enjoy it =/

Yeah, I forgot to put in a disclaimer that Ian Flynn has done a ton of good for the series. I'm actually legit grumpy that Archie is so limited in what they're putting out for trades, especially since the Saga stuff (aka the stuff starting where Flynn took over) is still really, really far behind the current release schedule. I wouldn't say it's anything mindblowing, but it's solid fun and it definitely shows the Flynn actually takes the care to treat the material with respect (even if the source material has gone horrible, unmentionable places a lot of times).

And of course Ian Flynn also makes the awesome Mega Man comic, which is so great to have, especially now that everything else has dropped off the map for the character.

Edit: It's also fun to see that the first chunk of Flynn's Sonic run is pretty much spend clearing up the clutter from the Penders run. Just killing off/writing out crappy characters, tiding up plot points, all that good stuff. Heck, he even confronted the fact that they were still bafflingly sitting around with a straight up monarchy for forever!

To the Catwoman experts, did she ever get a modern origin story that slipped my mind? I always just go with the Earth-2 version in my head, and I assume they've moved away from that Miller Year One prostitute thing

autobio7.jpg

jI0vFT98uYQbH.jpg

She had a #0 issue in the new 52, but I think it was so terrible that they retconned it out
Just FYI, I said "two Waid TPBs," but the third volume was actually hiding, separate from the other two TPBs since it has a different title and it's also 65% off.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/SUPERGIRL-LEGION-OF-SUPER-HEROES/JUL060192
I noticed! I'm still unsure if i wanna place an IST order before Comic Con, though. I'm surprised that these Legion volumes are still even in print and easy to find, honestly

Definitely looks like
Falcon, which will make for nice PR for Mahvel. Here's hoping Ian ends up as a new Bucky, as that's clearly who's heading for the mansion. Maybe Sharon as Miss America? ;D

To the Catwoman experts, did she ever get a modern origin story that slipped my mind? I always just go with the Earth-2 version in my head, and I assume they've moved away from that Miller Year One prostitute thing
I'm definitely not an expert but I'm pretty sure Year One and When In Rome were the most recent and they've just been going with that ever since if Batman Eternal is anything to go by

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Too soon for my wallet. Well, to be fair, if I wasn't planning to get that, I'd be putting together another IST order right now, so either way, my wallet was doomed from the start.

Really excited for it though, since I haven't read it and really don't know what to expect. I do love Morrison though, so I have no doubt I'll really enjoy it.

komplanen

I'm not into comics but could someone help me out with a couple of random questions?

1. When I was a kid I liked Punisher. Sometimes I imagine I'd like to revisit that comic and I was wondering if there's an official way to do that on an iPad? Also what do you think of revisiting something I haven't read in 20 years? I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? If it turns out to be amazing, what kind of dough would I be looking to spend in order to read most of the Punisher comics from issue 1 to let's say the year 2000 or even up to today? Is Punisher even a thing nowadays?

2. What's with the thread title? It's about the San Diego Comic Con, isn't it? Do those places really smell bad? Last week in a podcast about toys and video games a dude mentioned that a Transformers toy convention was apparently a horrible experience in terms of body odor.

3. What's a good comic you'd recommend to someone who literally just asks 'Recommend me a modern comic series to get into. I don't like the conventional super heroes.'? What would you say?

4. Punisher was the shit. His family got killed and he punished people for their crimes while searching for the killers of his family for the ultimate punishment. Fucking A grade badass. Not really a question, more of a statement. (Correction: I started to read up on the Wikipedia and apparently his family's killers were the first of Punisher's targets. I totally didn't remember that.)

I'm not into comics but could someone help me out with a couple of random questions?

1. When I was a kid I liked Punisher. Sometimes I imagine I'd like to revisit that comic and I was wondering if there's an official way to do that on an iPad? Also what do you think of revisiting something I haven't read in 20 years? I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? If it turns out to be amazing, what kind of dough would I be looking to spend in order to read most of the Punisher comics from issue 1 to let's say the year 2000 or even up to today? Is Punisher even a thing nowadays?

2. What's with the thread title? It's about the San Diego Comic Con, isn't it? Do those places really smell bad? Last week in a podcast about toys and video games a dude mentioned that a Transformers toy convention was apparently a horrible experience in terms of body odor.

3. What's a good comic you'd recommend to someone who literally just asks 'Recommend me a modern comic series to get into. I don't like the conventional super heroes.'? What would you say?

4. Punisher was the shit. His family got killed and he punished people for their crimes while searching for the killers of his family for the ultimate punishment. Fucking A grade badass. Not really a question, more of a statement.
1. I mean, it's possible that you could be let down, but some of that stuff holds up. There have been several different Punisher series over the years. If you want them digitally, it's generally two bucks an issue on Comixology (the most popular digital comics service), so... a lot. Look into Marvel Unlimited, they may have a good selection but I don't use the service myself.
2. It's a Comic Con joke, yeah, but i've never experienced a completely awful smelling con.
3. there's a lotta things that aren't superheroes, i'd have to think on that one
4. hell fucking yeah he is

Too soon for my wallet. Well, to be fair, if I wasn't planning to get that, I'd be putting together another IST order right now, so either way, my wallet was doomed from the start.

Really excited for it though, since I haven't read it and really don't know what to expect. I do love Morrison though, so I have no doubt I'll really enjoy it.

It'll be a belated birthday present for me :D

And you can expect a wild ride from the golden age of Vertigo.

komplanen

1. I mean, it's possible that you could be let down, but some of that stuff holds up. There have been several different Punisher series over the years.

Yeah this bolded part definitely surprised me a little since apparently all three Punishers were canned in 1995 due to poor sales and then revived many years later. So for me I'm gonna say 1995 would definitely be the last I would want to read. Not that I somehow dismiss new stuff or remakes or anything but I'm 100% certain I never read anything past that. In fact I may have read most of the Punishers since I kinda lost interest in and around 1995 myself. Or maybe it was 1996 but I don't live in the US so there could have been a delay for the releases.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

4. Punisher was the shit. His family got killed and he punished people for their crimes while searching for the killers of his family for the ultimate punishment. Fucking A grade badass. Not really a question, more of a statement. (Correction: I started to read up on the Wikipedia and apparently his family's killers were the first of Punisher's targets. I totally didn't remember that.)

To add on to what Serpentine was saying, if you want to read some Punisher stuff that you're very likely to enjoy (because it's super great), basically read all the Punisher stuff that Garth Ennis wrote.

I've also heard good things about Greg Rucka and Jason Aaron's Punisher runs, but Ennis's stuff is pretty much the definitive Punisher comics.

It'll be a belated birthday present for me :D

And you can expect a wild ride from the golden age of Vertigo.

Ah, very nice! Well happy early or late birthday!

And woo! I'm really looking forward to it!

So, went to the shop today to look around because they were having a 20% off sale. Walked out with:

Detective Comics 535 - 1st time Jason Todd is Robin.

What happened to the Caped Crusader 2 part mini by Neil Gaiman.

Random cheap Doug Moench and Kelley Jones cover to get signed in September at the CincyComiCon.

Zombine

Banned
It's refreshing how much quicker you get through your weekly stack when you pick up less books haha.

I know right?? I would even say that you process the stories better when you have a handful of books a week instead of 12. I know I can get through my stack now in an hour or so.

Nah. You can do it. Make that price your bitch and pick it up. I know I will.

I dunno man. I know it'll be 50% off at IST, but it's Morrison, and I generally only like him on smaller enclosed stories like Flex Mentallo. Once he gets into 20+ issue territory, his stuff tends to get too weird for me.

Zombine

Banned
I dunno man. I know it'll be 50% off at IST, but it's Morrison, and I generally only like him on smaller enclosed stories like Flex Mentallo. Once he gets into 20+ issue territory, his stuff tends to get too weird for me.

I would say that it's the defining run of that series, and everything before or after is shit. You definitely owe it to yourself to pick it up.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I actually liked BW: Minutemen and Silk Spectre. Both had great art and a stand-alome story. Most of the others relied on retelling or explaining Watchmen, which was dull and sort of insulting.

Conveniently both stories are collected together.

Strong truth. Those books were great. Minute Men was brilliant especially. Darwyn Cooke yo. Creators >>>>>> characters

Lmao, I can never take any status quo changes made by Remender seriously because everyone else just ignores them. Seeing Steve as an old man on the Avengers 35 cover tho..... hmmm.

I dunno Frankencastle and Remender's run on Doctor Voodoo were pretty good I'm open to seeing what Remender will do with the new Cap could be good like Superior Spiderman.

Messi

She had a #0 issue in the new 52, but I think it was so terrible that they retconned it out

The origin for new 52 Catwoman came from the #0 issue. It also happened to be Queen Nocentis first issue. She went with the Batman Returns origin, magical cats lick Selina back to life after she is thrown from the roof of a building through a tarp and into an alleyway. Selina then comes back to the scene of the licking and makes her first costume out of the tarp she fell through. There was some amnesia stuff where she doesn't know if she is Selina Kyle or if she is someone else.

The entire book was complete crap. I may have missed a few warning signs of things to come in that issue.

Also yes, they don't reference the origin anymore.

Owzers

I know right?? I would even say that you process the stories better when you have a handful of books a week instead of 12. I know I can get through my stack now in an hour or so.

going from 50 books a month to 30 has been a huge help in not feeling overwhelmed, especially by books that i wasn't excited to read in the first place. If i got down to 25ish regularly i might even have time to reread a book!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom