• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Licked back to life list:

Batgirl #33
Batman Eternal #14
Detective Comics #33
Grayson #1
New Suicide Squad #1
Superman Wonder Woman #10
Death Vigil #1
Shutter #4
Amazing X-Men #9
Captain Marvel #5
Deadpool #31
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #5

I didn't even have to say anything. Good job. Hype levels exceeding 70% for that one.

Messi you seem to have allowed some books with male characters to accidently slip on to your list.

Edit: Oh shit, Freezasaurus, there are three Uber issues next week?

Edit 2: Messi will be secretly pulling Chastity #1, I just know it.

Messi

I didn't even have to say anything. Good job. Hype levels exceeding 70% for that one.

I will support this man to the bitter end.

Messi you seem to have allowed some books with male characters to accidently slip on to your list.

Edit: Oh shit, Freezasaurus, there are three Uber issues next week?

Edit 2: Messi will be secretly pulling Chastity #1, I just know it.

I wish there was more female led books in the comic industry. I would like to drop more of my penis books.

No comment on Chastity. :/

Zombine

Banned
Are there any secret literary classics hidden within the Zenescope line, or are they all basically exactly what I expect them to be?

Tizoc

Yeah, I forgot to put in a disclaimer that Ian Flynn has done a ton of good for the series. I'm actually legit grumpy that Archie is so limited in what they're putting out for trades, especially since the Saga stuff (aka the stuff starting where Flynn took over) is still really, really far behind the current release schedule. I wouldn't say it's anything mindblowing, but it's solid fun and it definitely shows the Flynn actually takes the care to treat the material with respect (even if the source material has gone horrible, unmentionable places a lot of times).
With the recent Penders debacle I don't think we'll be seeing any more Saga TPBs sadly, but Archie should really start speeding up their TPB trades, they make DC look fast lol.
I am still saddened we'd never see Geoffrey or Finitivus again =/

And of course Ian Flynn also makes the awesome Mega Man comic, which is so great to have, especially now that everything else has dropped off the map for the character.
This too, the Megaman comic is great for kids to read even if they've never played the series, and with the nods to the games, if a parent reads it with them, they'll just look confused on some of the injokes only they would understand haha.

Edit: It's also fun to see that the first chunk of Flynn's Sonic run is pretty much spend clearing up the clutter from the Penders run. Just killing off/writing out crappy characters, tiding up plot points, all that good stuff. Heck, he even confronted the fact that they were still bafflingly sitting around with a straight up monarchy for forever!

I know right! It took me a few re-reads til I realized he was cleaning up shop.
To add he writes the best Eggman ever; Eggy's just enjoying himself now haha.

Zombine

Banned
My favorite cover of the week is All New X-Men. Who needs wings when you have a motorcycle? I hope he does some sick tricks.

3886216-all-new_x-men_29_cover.jpg

Boogiepop

With the recent Penders debacle I don't think we'll be seeing any more Saga TPBs sadly, but Archie should really start speeding up their TPB trades, they make DC look fast lol.

I've actually been wondering if the Penders stuff was the reason for the delays that have been occurring on their trades recently (though that includes the latest Mega Man getting kicked back to September and he'd have nothing to do with that), especially since the one that's scheduled to come out soonest went from a name of "Enerjak Reborn" to the more generic "Evil Reborn." However, it looks like volume 8 was also solicited fairly recently, so they definitely still seem to have plans to keep things going. Though I'll definitely be curious to see whether or not they've had to make any tweaks or anything to get these volumes out.

But yeah, I'm really, really hoping now that they have a reboot they'll use that as a jumping off point for a more up to date line of trades.

Fintan

Re-reading a bit of Invincible. Does the fact that every character says "on accident" bother anyone else or is it just me?

Re-reading a bit of Invincible. Does the fact that every character says "on accident" bother anyone else or is it just me?

You're reading a comic where a school principal announces his office hours in actual dialogue and that's what bothers you? Invincible's dialogue is as senses shatteringly bad as it's art is jaw droppingly phenomenal. Just the toll that's paid.

Fintan

You're reading a comic where a school principal announces his office hours in actual dialogue and that's what bothers you? Invincible's dialogue is as senses shatteringly bad as it's art is jaw droppingly phenomenal. Just the toll that's paid.
You're not wrong, but that bit just gets to me the most for some reason. Kirkman is a pretty goofy writer dialogue wise, alright. I think it's mostly the amazing art and still pretty fun plot keeping me interested. I gave up on Walking Dead.

Also been re-reading Ultimate X-Men. Just reached Kirkman's run. The art is most certainly not a help there!

Messi

Does the art change after the first trade? I thought the art was nothing to write home about. Maybe it gets better.

Cheska

When You Wish Upon a List

Batgirl #33
Shutter #4
Captain Marvel #5
Lumberjanes #4

and then I told myself I'm only picking one of the ones below:
Detective Comics #33
Grayson #1
Spider-Man 2099 #1

Zombine

Banned
Detective Comics #33
Grayson #1
Spider-Man 2099 #1

Detective comics has been AWESOME. If you've been getting that monthly it might as well be your choice. Grayson/Spiderman are probably going to be mediocre.

Cheska

Do the right thing
Buy Spider-Man 2099

From the few times I've read him, and from the Spidey game, I've actually liked my experiences with Miguel so far.

Detective comics has been AWESOME. If you've been getting that monthly it might as well be your choice. Grayson/Spiderman are probably going to be mediocre.

I've picked up every issues since the change in creators, but I just find myself less attached for DC.

Messi

Wether or not Cheska should pick up Grayson really does depend on how Cheska feels about Dick.

I'm so sorry Cheska, pls don't ban me.

Bii

Catching up on my backlog of floppies.

Black Science #5

I love how Grant is bouncing from one dimension to another. It gives the artist a lot of room to create other worlds, filled with life and spectacular views. I've yet to read #6 but I feel like this arc is going to end on an epic note. There's just so many great things to mention that may spoil some sequences for those who haven't read it yet, so just see the pics below. :)

-

Elektra #1

I really like what I'm seeing here. Elektra's an assassin and that's exactly what we're getting here. The art is very graceful and the two-page splash images are full of colors and fits well with the tone of the book. Although, I do feel like it's overused in this issue. There were multiple two-pagers that are like that.

Is Bloody Lips a new Marvel character? Because that guy is f'n awesome. He's like the wildcard of super villains that Elektra will (eventually?) have to face. He takes people's skills, powers and their thoughts by eating them.

Who wants the Marvel digital code to Elektra #1? First person to reply requesting it will get my PM.

The 2099 back-up story in ASM #1 (I think it was that issue?) was great. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the series.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Catching up on my backlog of floppies.

Black Science #5

I love how Grant is bouncing from one dimension to another. It gives the artist a lot of room to create other worlds, filled with life and spectacular views. I've yet to read #6 but I feel like this arc is going to end on an epic note. There's just so many great things to mention that may spoil some sequences for those who haven't read it yet, so just see the pics below. :)

-

Elektra #1

I really like what I'm seeing here. Elektra's an assassin and that's exactly what we're getting here. The art is very graceful and the two-page splash images are full of colors and fits well with the tone of the book. Although, I do feel like it's overused in this issue. There were multiple two-pagers that are like that.

Is Bloody Lips a new Marvel character? Because that guy is f'n awesome. He's like the wildcard of super villains that Elektra will (eventually?) have to face. He takes people's skills, powers and their thoughts by eating them.

Who wants the Marvel digital code to Elektra #1? First person to reply requesting it will get my PM.

I would love to take it^^

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Does anyone else think the Marvel issues seem cheaply made? They seem to come apart pretty easily.

When You Wish Upon a List

Batgirl #33
Shutter #4
Captain Marvel #5
Lumberjanes #4

Detective Comics #33
Grayson #1
Spider-Man 2099 #1
All three dear. You're a different breed of collector.....

okay didnt read comics for ages.

I was surprisded to see that marvel comics are now more expensive than image comics 3.99 vs 2.99 :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom