• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 5th is the date for Amazon
The origin for new 52 Catwoman came from the #0 issue. It also happened to be Queen Nocentis first issue. She went with the Batman Returns origin, magical cats lick Selina back to life after she is thrown from the roof of a building through a tarp and into an alleyway. Selina then comes back to the scene of the licking and makes her first costume out of the tarp she fell through. There was some amnesia stuff where she doesn't know if she is Selina Kyle or if she is someone else.

The entire book was complete crap. I may have missed a few warning signs of things to come in that issue.

Also yes, they don't reference the origin anymore.

god that sounds so stupid, even for New 52 origin standards

Zombine

Banned
i might even have time to reread a book!

shocked.gif

ReiGun

I'm not into comics but could someone help me out with a couple of random questions?

1. When I was a kid I liked Punisher. Sometimes I imagine I'd like to revisit that comic and I was wondering if there's an official way to do that on an iPad? Also what do you think of revisiting something I haven't read in 20 years? I'm going to be disappointed, aren't I? If it turns out to be amazing, what kind of dough would I be looking to spend in order to read most of the Punisher comics from issue 1 to let's say the year 2000 or even up to today? Is Punisher even a thing nowadays?

2. What's with the thread title? It's about the San Diego Comic Con, isn't it? Do those places really smell bad? Last week in a podcast about toys and video games a dude mentioned that a Transformers toy convention was apparently a horrible experience in terms of body odor.

3. What's a good comic you'd recommend to someone who literally just asks 'Recommend me a modern comic series to get into. I don't like the conventional super heroes.'? What would you say?

4. Punisher was the shit. His family got killed and he punished people for their crimes while searching for the killers of his family for the ultimate punishment. Fucking A grade badass. Not really a question, more of a statement. (Correction: I started to read up on the Wikipedia and apparently his family's killers were the first of Punisher's targets. I totally didn't remember that.)
1.Marvel Unlimited sounds like what you're looking for. I'm not into Punisher, so I don't know what his selection is like, but the selection for other characters is pretty staggering.

2. Con funk is real. That many people in the heat crammed in a small place? Yeah it's bound to get a little funky. Especially when not every has the best hygiene...

3. Depends on what you're into. There's lot of comics besides the standard DC and Marvel heroes (and even those two release some non traditional stuff), but we can't really recommend anything if we don't know your taste.

4. Meh. He's okay, I guess. :p

Zombine

Banned
That Frozen poster is gorgeous, Cheska. Honestly your entire collection speaks volumes about your love of the medium. This is how it's done, folks.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
That cover. Wow.

Brian Bolland so good.

Harley beside Bombshell Wonder Woman really puts the size of that statue into perspective.

Also holy shit at that collection. Amazing.

My exact thoughts.
I didn't realize HOW ENORMOUS those Sideshow Collectibles statues actually were. Now I can understand a little more why they're so incredibly expensive. I still think the prices are silly, but they make a little more sense.

And yeah, super amazing collection, Cheska.

Zombine

Banned
My exact thoughts.
I didn't realize HOW ENORMOUS those Sideshow Collectibles statues actually were.

Typically speaking, people get one or two of their favorite characters and they're done with them. They can overpower a room quickly if you aren't careful.

Zombine

Banned
Fuck. I need that Lucille replica and Ezekiel Walking Dead figure from SDCC. They better make their way onto the website or I'm legitimately going to be depressed.

Kipp

Typically speaking, people get one or two of their favorite characters and they're done with them. They can overpower a room quickly if you aren't careful.

That does make sense I guess. If I had a favorite character, I could maybe see myself considering a massive, super well-done statue. But alas, I do not. Which is probably for the best in this situation.

tm24

Aww, look, there's going to
temporarily
be a new Captain America as a result of recent events in that book, and Marvel wants you to pretend that they didn't already spoil it with the Time Runs Out covers. Bless their hearts.

fN6h3J5.jpg

Seriously, it's Falcon. Look closely at the Avengers #35 cover.

ITS STONE COLD! ITS STONE COLD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbWm4RPp10

Seriously though, loving the direction Cap is going in. Never thought Bru could be topped, but Remender is making me rethink that

Kipp

High Crimes is a pretty good comic. Slow burn noirish crime book centered around Mt Everest. Solid stuff.

JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative was a decent crossover from the late 90s. It's a tad overwritten and the last page of the epilogue kinda sorta throws out the entire theme of the book (the Titans being a family), but it's got a big fight feel when the JLA and Titans throw down - and not just the core team, EVERYONE gets in on it. Grinnin like a fool when Starfire started going after Orion. It's also drawn by Phil Jimenez, so it looks good.

Technis-2p8+-+Copy.jpg

After Orion asks Beast Boy "You and what army?" Hell yeah.

ReiGun

High Crimes is a pretty good comic. Slow burn noirish crime book centered around Mt Everest. Solid stuff.

JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative was a decent crossover from the late 90s. It's a tad overwritten and the last page of the epilogue kinda sorta throws out the entire theme of the book (the Titans being a family), but it's got a big fight feel when the JLA and Titans throw down - and not just the core team, EVERYONE gets in on it. Grinnin like a fool when Starfire started going after Orion. It's also drawn by Phil Jimenez, so it looks good.

Technis-2p8+-+Copy.jpg

After Orion asks Beast Boy "You and what army?" Hell yeah.

The Trinity are mad as thee fuck at their sidekicks. Diana about to give Donna that work.

Zombine

Banned
Goodness. This new Daredevil Sideshow Collectibles statue is crazy cool.

Front: http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/05/Daredevil-Premium-Format-Figure-004.jpg
Back: http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content...at-Figure-Daredevil-Statue-e1399428352629.jpg

IF I were to even consider getting a super expensive statue, it'd probably be that one.

Edit: Okay, this is hilarious: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-thor-frog-sideshow-collectibles-200360/

I am pretty sure I have an order in for Thog. I'll also be getting that Daredevil.

Bii

Amazing collection Cheska! So much good stuff to even comment on!

Goodness. This new Daredevil Sideshow Collectibles statue is crazy cool.

Front: http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2014/05/Daredevil-Premium-Format-Figure-004.jpg
Back: http://marveltoynews.com/wp-content...at-Figure-Daredevil-Statue-e1399428352629.jpg

IF I were to even consider getting a super expensive statue, it'd probably be that one.

Edit: Okay, this is hilarious: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-thor-frog-sideshow-collectibles-200360/

I'm going to get that Daredevil, it'll be my first Sideshow purchase. I'm actually waiting to go to SDCC to grab a business card from their booth. In years' past, they gave out advertising cards that give off a certain $ amount. I forget if it was applicable to preorders but I'm in no rush to pre-purchase it.

Kipp

I am pretty sure I have an order in for Thog. I'll also be getting that Daredevil.

I'm going to get that Daredevil, it'll be my first Sideshow purchase. I'm actually waiting to go to SDCC to grab a business card from their booth. In years' past, they gave out advertising cards that give off a certain $ amount. I forget if it was applicable to preorders but I'm in no rush to pre-purchase it.

So awesome! :D
I'm really glad I'll get to live vicariously through you guys in regards to that Daredevil statue. That thing is just too cool.
I'm genuinely very excited for the both of you. Haha

And also, regarding Thog, that's awesome that you're getting that, Zombine. If I was even sort of a Thor fan (haven't read any Thor; the character doesn't interest me at all), I probably wouldn't be able to resist. I mean, it is a full-scale statue for only $99 after all. :p

Zombine

Banned
So awesome! :D
I'm really glad I'll get to live vicariously through you guys in regards to that Daredevil statue. That thing is just too cool.
I'm genuinely very excited for the both of you. Haha

And also, regarding Thog, that's awesome that you're getting that, Zombine. If I was even sort of a Thor fan (haven't read any Thor; the character doesn't interest me at all), I probably wouldn't be able to resist. I mean, it is a full-scale statue for only $99 after all. :p

You've gotta have that one yolo moment, Kipp. Gotta indulge every now and then!

Edit: A few pages back I believe that Cheska mentioned that very rarely does anyone pay up front on these behemoths. Most prefer to pay it off $50 a month. I know I do.

Kipp

You've gotta have that one yolo moment, Kipp. Gotta indulge every now and then!

Edit: A few pages back I believe that Cheska mentioned that very rarely does anyone pay up front on these behemoths. Most prefer to pay it off $50 a month. I know I do.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. Comics in general are my one and only indulgence. And even then, it's not at all easy for me to spend the money. I'm way too frugal for my own good.
It's not even that I don't have the money, I just like saving too much. Maybe once I buy a house (however far in the future that may be) I'll feel less of a need to save all my money. Haha

And I think doing a payment plan would make it even more painful for me. When I buy something big, I like to rip off the bandaid. That's one of the reasons I like omnibuses over a bunch of smaller trades, too.

Zombine

Banned
Oh, you don't know the half of it. Comics in general are my one and only indulgence. And even then, it's not at all easy for me to spend the money. I'm way too frugal for my own good.
It's not even that I don't have the money, I just like saving too much. Maybe once I buy a house (however far in the future that may be) I'll feel less of a need to save all my money. Haha

And I think doing a payment plan would make it even more painful for me. When I buy something big, I like to rip off the bandaid. That's one of the reasons I like omnibuses over a bunch of smaller trades, too.

Who needs a home when you can be surrounded by stone!

Is anyone reading Iron First? Fraction's run is one of my favorites, but I'm just not feeling it. The art and writing just seems so... bleh.

Moon Knight was great again this week. Ellis really have perfected the done-in-one story. He did it expertly back in planetary, as well as in his secret avengers run (outside of some captain america character assassination bits).

Owzers

Is anyone reading Iron First? Fraction's run is one of my favorites, but I'm just not feeling it. The art and writing just seems so... bleh.

Moon Knight was great again this week. Ellis really have perfected the done-in-one story. He did it expertly back in planetary, as well as in his secret avengers run (outside of some captain america character assassination bits).

I'm slightly above the drop level for Iron Fist, i thought the last issue i read ( 3ish) was better than the previous but i still think the grim-darkness doesn't suit the title and it ends up feeling like an elseworld miniseries that is trying to be the ongoing.

I read the first couple issues. I thought it was pretty good but I was trying to cut down the pull list at the time. I haven't felt like there was any big hole in my life since then.

I only ended up reading the first issue. Wasn't a fan of the tone or writing in general. Didn't really feel like the Danny Rand I know.

^yeah, it's so clearly out of place, rofl. Guess they thought it didn't look like Dick enough or something.

anyway fuck it list is now

Grayson #1
Detective Comics #33
Justice League United #3
Death Vigil #1 (it's the new Seijic book, y'all)
100th Anniversary: Spider-Man
Lumberjanes #4

Maybe:

New Suicide Squad #1 - it looks like hot garbage, but it's the Squad, so i feel like i should at least try it
Empty Man #2 - Story was okay, the art was good, but it's a mini. might as well wait for the TP
Spider-Man 2099 #1 - I've never read any before, but... i'll probably end up buying it anyway
Adventure Time: Banana Guard Academy #1 - the cover is really cool
Rise of the Magi #2, Infinity Man and the Forever People #2 - i have yet to read the first issues

Every week should be this small list

American Vampire Second Cycle #4
Batgirl #33
Batman Eternal #14
Shutter #4
Walking Dead #129
All-New X-Men #29

List.

AMERICAN VAMPIRE SECOND CYCLE #4 (MR) $2.99
BATGIRL #33 $2.99
BATMAN ETERNAL #14 $2.99
COFFIN HILL #9 (MR) $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #33 $3.99
GRAYSON #1 $2.99
INFINITY MAN AND THE FOREVER PEOPLE #2 $2.99
JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #3 $3.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #10 (WEEKLY) $2.99
NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #1 $2.99
SUPERMAN WONDER WOMAN #10 $3.99

Bii

Shutter #4
100th Annivesary Special Spider-Man #1
Amazing Spider-Man #1.3
Daredevil #5
Original Sin #5.1

My LCS throws in all of the .X issues with my pull list. Not sure if that's standard practice at other shops but it's not a huge deal since I would sometimes decline them when I go pick up my books.
If my LCS has them, I might pick up a few of the Batman 75th Anniversary covers for Justice League United #3 (by Mario Alberti) and/or Grayson #1 (by Jock).

L to the I to the S to the T. TIME!

Batgirl
Batman Eternal
Constantine
Detective Comics
Grayson
Green Lantern Corps
Justice League United
New 52 Futures End
New Suicide Squad (I will give a chance)
Superboy
Superman Wonder Woman
Worlds' Finest

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So, went to the shop today to look around because they were having a 20% off sale. Walked out with:

Detective Comics 535 - 1st time Jason Todd is Robin.

What happened to the Caped Crusader 2 part mini by Neil Gaiman.

Random cheap Doug Moench and Kelley Jones cover to get signed in September at the CincyComiCon.

Nobody talks about this small story thrown into the publishing mix in the middle of Morrison's Batman run, but it's damn good. It's another incredible UK writer examining Batman's entire continuity as a single life. all in two issues. And the way it wraps up is fucking stunning.

My LCS throws in all of the .X issues with my pull list. Not sure if that's standard practice at other shops but it's not a huge deal since I would sometimes decline them when I go pick up my books.

Yeah, some shops do. You're not required to take anything you don't want. My LCS keeps pulling those fucking Red Sonja one-shots for me when all I read is the Gail Simone series. Though I did buy the Red Sonja & Cub one-shot, which was pretty good. But I'll usually decline most of the .1's and assorted other crap. Especially the $4.99+ books.

Messi

Licked back to life list:

Batgirl #33
Batman Eternal #14
Detective Comics #33
Grayson #1
New Suicide Squad #1
Superman Wonder Woman #10
Death Vigil #1
Shutter #4
Amazing X-Men #9
Captain Marvel #5
Deadpool #31
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #5

Rocket Girl Vol 1 TP

Not a bad week all around, very curious about the team in Suicide Squad (I want to see how Harley reacts to Jokers daughter most). I will give Grayson one go because it's something different. Death Vigil should look amazing at the very least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom