• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than that Arkham Harley in the nurse outfit that I preordered on DC's website for only $25 because of an error but they honored, I'm done with statues for awhile. It's expensive. My next comic collecting obsession will now be to collecting Batman key issues.

First up is Detective Comics #535.

Br4Evj9IcAAmRy1.jpg

It's Jason Todd's first adventure as Robin and he has been seriously injured in a battle against Crazy Quilt. However, the criminal underworld will soon learn that there is more to this new Robin than meets the eye.

Key issue: 1st appearance of Jason Todd as Robin.

Cost $5

Zombine

Banned
Just got my Black Cat print from Paperfilms and it is beautiful! Seriously, Patrick & Jimmy are the best and they work super hard.

Messi

Other than that Arkham Harley in the nurse outfit that I preordered on DC's website for only $25 because of an error but they honored, I'm done with statues for awhile. It's expensive. My next comic collecting obsession will now be to collecting Batman key issues.

Br4Evj9IcAAmRy1.jpg

Cost $5

Do you feel you hare a limit to how much you would pay for key Batman issues. I'm sure it will get pricey. Harley Quinn's first appearance was in Batman Adventures #12 and it goes for 150-200$. Are you a bad enough dude.

Do you feel you hare a limit to how much you would pay for key Batman issues. I'm sure it will get pricey. Harley Quinn's first appearance was in Batman Adventures #12 and it goes for 150-200$. Are you a bad enough dude.

Cross that bridge when I get there. Starting small though.

Owzers

Inhumans #2....that's the last of the pre-ordered issues, i don't think i'll be reading this even when i resub to Marvel Unlimited. This book exists for continuity's sake, that's all there is to say about it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Marvel and DC. Image shames them all.

DC hasn't been too bad in my experience. Marcel's quality just plain sucks though. I do agree that Image seems to be the best overall though.

Definitely. Worst paper quality. Great Value TP was made with more care and thoughtfulness than it.....

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought maybe my comic shop got a bad batch of ASM #1, but when I ordered it from another store it was in the same bad shape. Unacceptable, really.

jordisok

Br4Evj9IcAAmRy1.jpg

Cost $5

That cover is really kinda cool. Lost on Crazy-Quilt though??

Seeing as your just starting out do you have any 'grails'? Like an issue(s) you just gotta have if you get the chance?

There are actually some Image comics that are 3.50-3.99. In fact, most of them are making that jump soon.

It seems old-school Image titles like Invincible and Walking Dead are the only ones that have stood by the $2.99 price point. Though with Image books, I don't mind the price hikes so much because they're genuinely entertaining books and not standard corporate drivel that I buy just to keep up with stories.

Warren Ellis sent out a newsletter today

Trees makes it past the six issue barrier!

Also, had no idea the new issue of Captain America had some controversy that people called for #firerickremender

oh wow. That cover seems to imply that the "trees" are going to sprout robot walker legs and start doing something. Hype!

Zombine

Banned
14590048035_6eeb9e29b6_b.jpg

Here's the pics of my prints in the frames I just picked up. I'm so pissed because if you look at the Catwoman print you can see I don't know my own strength and I shattered the screen. That frame is going back to Walmart.

The Black Cat one is beyond words. It's perfect.

Wow, the hatred for Rick Remender right now is crazy.

@BlackRoseAki: #FireRickRemender because pop culture is not in a vacuum - Remender is writing toxic ideas that are harmful outside of fiction. @Marvel

@groovetastical: Don't forget to email @Marvel mheroes@marvel.com with your greivances and why they should #FIRERICKREMENDER

@lenoregospo: @Marvel drunken statutory rape isn't what we want in ANY comic series. Media + it's content affects everyone #FireRickRemender

@effingunicorns: @Marvel needs to #FireRickRemender because his gratuitous manpain writing has put me off an entire run of one of my favorite superheroes.

@sarahcottentail: Naturally, all of us are bigots, & not at all upset with gross mischaracterization of a beloved & well respected black man #firerickremender

And on and on and on.

YearofRemender?

Messi

14590048035_6eeb9e29b6_b.jpg

Here's the pics of my prints in the frames I just picked up. I'm so pissed because if you look at the Catwoman print you can see I don't know my own strength and I shattered the screen. That frame is going back to Walmart.

The Black Cat one is beyond words. It's perfect.

Those are both wonderful. I wonder what her Batgirl would look like.

Do Walmart take returns when you break it yourself? lol

Edit:

DSC03161.jpeg

Loooove it

ElNarez

Banned
Remember remember the 6th of Remender

That whole thing is stupid on all sides. For those not familiar with the events, here we have a mob of people mad that Falcon has hooked up with Jet Black in the latest issue of Captain America.

And on the one hand, that's fucking stupid, because if they had read that scene in context, there's a line where Jet says she's 23, so the idea that her consent is statutory is frankly hella ridic, and the idea that she and Falcon couldn't have a one night stand after a couple of drinks shows a baffling lack of knowledge of why people bone sometimes.

On the other hand, however, it's fucking stupid, because up until that scene, Jet Black is shown and described to be a teenager, with an accelerated metabolism, certainly, but that is not made clear until Remender pulls out of seemingly nowhere the factoid that hey, she's 23 now. And a guy who already has experienced being called out for his problematic stances on stuff should have known fucking better.

ElNarez

Banned
They're just upset that Jet Black didn't have a one night stand with them instead.

Remember how after Young Avengers #1 came out a bunch of stupid idiots said it was wrong for Kate to hook up with Noh-Varr after the first date and it made here a mega-hussy-slash-tramp-slash-woman of no vertue ? That's the level of big dummydom we are facing here, kind of. Except Gillen is a better writer than Remender so the scene had no problematic undertones.

People were really upset when Kate bishop has a fling with marvel boy in young avengers too, so even KG isn't completely safe from the ire.

Edit: beaten. KG isn't a better writer but he is more dismissive of this kind of thing. Guy's good at spinning and then ignoring controversy.

Zombine

Banned
Remember how after Young Avengers #1 came out a bunch of stupid idiots said it was wrong for Kate to hook up with Noh-Varr after the first date and it made here a mega-hussy-slash-tramp-slash-woman of no vertue ? That's the level of big dummydom we are facing here, kind of. Except Gillen is a better writer than Remender so the scene had no problematic undertones.

The only thing that confuses me is that this is Remender we are talking about. He always does peculiar things with the women he is writing.

There was controversy over the Kate/Noh-Varr hookup? I try not to dismiss seemingly small controversies right away, but man, it's hard not to dismiss that immediately

phoenixyz

That whole thing is stupid on all sides. For those not familiar with the events, here we have a mob of people mad that Falcon has hooked up with Jet Black in the latest issue of Captain America.

And on the one hand, that's fucking stupid, because if they had read that scene in context, there's a line where Jet says she's 23, so the idea that her consent is statutory is frankly hella ridic, and the idea that she and Falcon couldn't have a one night stand after a couple of drinks shows a baffling lack of knowledge of why people bone sometimes.

On the other hand, however, it's fucking stupid, because up until that scene, Jet Black is shown and described to be a teenager, with an accelerated metabolism, certainly, but that is not made clear until Remender pulls out of seemingly nowhere the factoid that hey, she's 23 now. And a guy who already has experienced being called out for his problematic stances on stuff should have known fucking better.

I don't read the comic but maybe it was not in the US maybe it was in Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia or nearly everywhere else in the world.

oh wow. That cover seems to imply that the "trees" are going to sprout robot walker legs and start doing something. Hype!
It's a pretty incredible homage

I found out about it through this article which pretty much confirms that Remender's timeline fits with her age.

frye

The thing that bugs me is that there are genuinely objectionable aspects to Remender's run on Cap and it's definitely not this nonsense.

The thing that bugs me is that there are genuinely objectionable aspects to Remender's run on Cap and it's definitely not this nonsense.

yeah, where are the dudes complaining about the yellow peril caricatures and shit

also random frank miller page, its sunday after all

elektra-lives-again-page-21.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
yeah, where are the dudes complaining about the yellow peril caricatures and shit

also random frank miller page, its sunday after all

What's the best way to read Miller's Daredevil currently? I've never checked it out, but I think it's about time.

frye

God, Elektra Lives Again isn't my favourite Miller/Varley but it's their apotheosis in a lot of ways.

Miller Omnibus from IST. It's no longer the definitive run of the character though.

Nah. Always and forever. Whether you're a Brian Michael Bendis or Ed Brubaker trying to recapture that magic or a Karl Kesel or Mark Waid trying to navigate a space between that and the Silver Age.

Daredevil is a Frank Miller character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom