• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Well, he's Stephen King. He can do as he pleases. I honestly never got into his writing, though. I just don't dig his writing style, same with Tolkien.

Anyone read any of RR Martin's shit? He's like "Bitches be up in my guts. Your gonads are like two grapefruits ready for plucking." And that's just how the White Walkers talk.

Messi

Anyone read any of RR Martin's shit? He's like "Bitches be up in my guts. Your gonads are like two grapefruits ready for plucking." And that's just how the White Walkers talk.

RR's stuff is just too wordy for me, I lose interest so easily.

Not Young Justice animated returning to mainstream DC Comics universe:

THE MULTIVERSITY: THE JUST #1

Written by GRANT MORRISON
Art and cover by BEN OLIVER

When they last collaborated, Grant Morrison joined artist Ben Oliver (LOBO, BATMAN/SUPERMAN) for the acclaimed ACTION COMICS #0. For their next team-up, the two superstars take a spin around the self-obsessed Earth-16 – a.k.a. Earth-Me!
With all of the world’s threats having been handled long ago by their parents, the next generation of supers – including Chris Kent, Damien Wayne, Alexis Luthor, Offspring, Megamorpho, Donna Troy and more – find themselves labeled as superstars more often than super heroes. But with that fame comes complacency, and when a massive threat unlike anything they’ve ever seen surfaces, this pampered crew finds themselves in way over their head. What secret is Damien keeping from Chris that could tear the world’s finest friends apart? Who is the mysterious killer lurking behind the scenes among these spoiled super-children? And what chance do they stand against the monstrous villain that’s murdering its way cross the Multiverse? All that and more in this exciting stand-alone issue which also acts as chapter three of the MULTIVERSITY saga.

MULTIV_JUST_1.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I was going to order Seconds on Amazon, but I think I need it asap. Let's all hold hands and go buy it at Barnes & Noballs together.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wow. So I just finished the last issue of Unknown Soldier.
For anyone who hasn't read it yet, obviously don't click the spoiler. The short version of it though is that Unknown Soldier is absolutely fantastic and you should most definitely read it.

That twist at the end was absolutely brilliant. The fact that the compassionate, peace-loving Dr. Moses Lwanga WAS the new, manufactured identity and the violent voice was his original self (albeit made even more violent through the military and CIA training). I was truly not expecting that at all. Brilliant. And at the third to last issue or so I even thought the ending was going to be somewhat predictable, but Dysart managed to keep me on my toes until the end.
And the ending. I knew with the way the story was going, it'd be nearly impossible to pull off a satisfying ending -- since a happy ending would be completely innapropriate, but a purely negative ending would obviously be simply depressing -- but Dysart walked the line between happy and depressing flawlessly and managed to give closure and leave me completely satisfied with the ending. Seriously impressive.
Also, I feel like I should mention that "dream" scene in the last issue after Unknown Soldier is shot. That sinking feeling you get as you're reading along and gradually start thinking "This is too good to be true..." and then have that thought confirmed as the dream gets more and more outrageous. So well done.

Kipp

...Maybe I should stop by Barnes and Noble tomorrow too.

King is the master of easy reading. You can devour one of his novels in a few hours if you get into it. I love The Shining/Doctor Sleep. I feel like that's a good place to start.

Cool! I'll probably give one of his books a shot sometime soon. Better late than never, I guess. Haha

fauxtrot

Banned
I dunno what I was expecting from Grant Morrison, but that preview for Multiversity definitely wasn't it. I should know to expect the unexpected from him by now, shouldn't I? Still, day 1.

not even Birdie's reading that shit anymore

Ha, it's on my Wish List List.

So here's how I buy comics now. I pick 10 Must Buys a week and buy them Wednesday. Everything else that I'm mildly interested in goes on my Wish List. Every day or so I pick a random number and buy that comic from my Wish List. So I actually have read the last Ghost Rider, purely by chance and interest.

#FactsOnly

Zombine

Banned
So, say I wanted to write a story that revolved around a work that is in public domain...do I have anybody to answer to if I want to make money off of that idea?

I bought the whole Claremont/Lee Comixology bundle

fuck you comixology

Nah, I looked at it but I'm fine with my two Claremont/Lee Omnibi.

Kipp

So, say I wanted to write a story that revolved around a work that is in public domain...do I have anybody to answer to if I want to make money off of that idea?

When should I expect the PM from you asking me to do the art for said story?

I feel like niggas be sleepin on The Private Eye, yo. They don't botch the ending/it actually comes out by December I can tell its gonna be high on my 10 Favorite Comics of 2014 list

Do we do favorite comics of the year, or she would avoid that cuz Harley might be in the top 5

I feel like niggas be sleepin on The Private Eye, yo. They don't botch the ending/it actually comes out by December I can tell its gonna be high on my 10 Favorite Comics of 2014 list

Do we do favorite comics of the year, or she would avoid that cuz Harley might be in the top 5

I keep forgetting to read it because it's in my iBooks and not Comixlology.

Kipp

How come nobody mentioned the badass JD Scooby Doo the last page?

I almost missed it.

Kipp up the good work.

Haha. Thanks! And thanks for noticing! :p

Someday I'll be rich enough to have a wall of every Dave Johnson cover ever.

Just did a Google image search of his covers... Totally didn't realize he did so many of these fantastic covers I've seen around.
Even after looking at a random assortment of his other covers, I still think his Unknown Soldier stuff is my favorite of his work.
But yeah, his covers are fantastic.

I like to be as transparent about my ideas as possible. Will you do the art kip? Actually, let's practice. Can you draw Cthulhu?

Well, I do not know. But I sure will try. Give me a sec (20-30 minutes).
Was actually just going to attempt to draw Batcow, but this is much more pressing.

Kipp

Edit: Double post. I always expect you guys to post really quickly, so I usually assume there will be a post between my previous post and current post by the time I finish writing it. My baaad.

I just read the first volume of that about a month ago. It was such great stuff. I can't believe everyone hasn't read it (especially since you can get it for free if you'd like). It's typical great BKV storytelling/world-building with Marcos Martin's excellent art to make it that much better.

I really need to read the issues after volume one still.

Just did a Google image search of his covers... Totally didn't realize he did so many of these fantastic covers I've seen around.
Even after looking at a random assortment of his other covers, I still think his Unknown Soldier stuff is my favorite of his work.
But yeah, his covers are fantastic.

He also did the phenomenal still art in the Shallow Gravy Behind The Music episode of Venture Brothers.

Owzers

Finished the first Avenging Spidey hardcover, Wells did a good job writing snappy spidey issues.

October....don't blow this DC. And don't make wonder woman's right arm shorter than her left in the chiang statue, the art of the model at his website is iffy.

Kipp

All right, Zombine. Here is the concept art for your super serious Cthulhu graphic novel.

It is titled "Stupid Sexy Cthulhu"

It may shock you to know that I in fact did not use any reference art for this Cthulhu pose.

Edit: Forgot to mention, even though it's a very important piece of art to me, I am selling the original pictured here. PM me for price.

(Also, check out those child-bearing hips Cthulhu's got.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I was going to attempt to ink and color it on my computer, but then I realized why real artists have Wacom tablets. It's frankly impossible to do such things with a mouse.

Many, many comics have been colored using mice.
It's particularly easy to get away with using a mouse with "cuts and gradients" (or "cuts and fill") style.

Kipp

Many, many comics have been colored using mice.
It's particularly easy to get away with using a mouse with "cuts and gradients" (or cuts and fill) style.

Ah yeah, coloring is definitely do-able. Inking is the main thing that would've been impossible with a mouse.
I'm sort of tempted to get one of those Monoprice graphic drawing tablets for like $50... As outrageous as that seems when I'm the horrendously bad artist that I am. Haha. Could be fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom