• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rafael Albuquerque has a new book coming called Ei8ht. It's a five-issue mini coming next February from Dark Horse. He's writing and handling the art, with Mike Johnson helping as a co-writer.

zHVilQt.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
So I come back from a great vacation in Mexico to find that a Winter Soldier solo by Alex Kot has been confirmed, with Bucky going all over the universe to places like the Savage Land- fuck yeah! Gonna buy every issue even at $3.99 in hopes it's not cancelled again.

Some fellow WS fans are a little pissed that he's not staying on Earth, but I personally welcome the change. I just hope Natasha shows up again (she goes everywhere, it should happen) and we can finally get the "amnesia" shit out of the way between the two (Dammit Edmondson, you had one job).

Sad about Hawkeye, but the delays really destroyed a good thing, though I'm still excited for the last issues. I wish David Aja took some of Jack Kirby's blood so he was faster at drawing pages (and I know he had personal issues too).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Guys it's been three weeks since I've gotten my comics. I've run out of backlog that isn't old Legion stuff. Now I'm rereading Waids Legion run. Send help. And comics.

I sort of hope one day I'll run out of backlog so I can re-read things without feeling that I ought to be reading the stuff on my shelf I haven't read yet.
But I wish you the best, GrandHarrier. Don't die.
Also, you could always pick up one of the many well-priced TPBs to get you through your comics drought. :p

On a completely unrelated note, to prepare for the multiple ongoings I'll soon be drawing, I've taken my art to the next level. Scooby Doo dressed as Judge Dredd. IN PENCILS.

I was going to attempt to ink and color it on my computer, but then I realized why real artists have Wacom tablets. It's frankly impossible to do such things with a mouse.
Also, as laughably bad as my MSPaint avatars have been, doing those legitimately got me to start drawing. I've pretty much never been a person who draws or sketches (if that wasn't obvious) because I thought I was just innately talentless (and that could very well be true), but these past few days I've discovered it's really pretty fun.
And all because I posted that MSPaint drawing of me jack-- I mean, reading a giant omnibus.

Vibranium

Banned
Also, hahaha, this hobby is dumb expensive.

Yep, you can get Steam videogames and some great smaller books with way more hours of entertainment than a comic book these days. Someone should show Axel and co. Steam's methods. Marvel should do a big subscription plan (through retailers and especially Comixology) for a number of titles at a slightly reduced price if you ask me. I was talking with some friends about comics prices and they were blown away by how ridiculous they are.

studyguy

I keep hearing about these authors or artists? I don't know a lick of who any of them are other than Bendis... is he a writer or artist or both?? Just because everyone I've talked to mentions his dialogue style.

I suppose you eventually just pick up X artist is good while Y is terrible..?

Owzers

I keep hearing about these authors or artists? I don't know a lick of who any of them are other than Bendis... is he a writer or artist or both?? Just because everyone I've talked to mentions his dialogue style.

I suppose you eventually just pick up X artist is good while Y is terrible..?

Yep, eventually you'll read a book by someone, like it, and see what else the write. Same for artists, but for me not as much as writers since if i hate the story the art doesn't save it for me, i'd rather buy an art book at that point. Bendis seldom does artwork on books, he's usually the writer and he/Marvel gets high profile artists to team up with him.

Zombine

Banned
Yep, eventually you'll read a book by someone, like it, and see what else the write. Same for artists, but for me not as much as writers since if i hate the story the art doesn't save it for me, i'd rather by an art book at that point. Bendis seldom does artwork on books, he's usually the writer and he/Marvel gets high profile artists to team up with him.

A polished turd is still a piece of shit.

But to his credit, Bendis' Daredevil was amazing. He just needs to channel more of that and stay away from team books with his 'witty' dialogue. GotG really needs a new writer after the movie's out.

I honestly want to drop GotG so hard right now. But I don't wanna miss anything. :(

What a dilemma.

Owzers

I honestly want to drop GotG so hard right now. But I don't wanna miss anything. :(

What a dilemma.

That's what Marvel Unlimited is for me when i eventually resub. I'll read All New X-Men, Uncanny, and GotG from Bendis there, but i dropped all of them from my pull list after Battle of the Atom.

Zombine

Banned
But to his credit, Bendis' Daredevil was amazing. He just needs to channel more of that and stay away from team books with his 'witty' dialogue. GotG really needs a new writer after the movie's out.

I was speaking more in regards to shitty books with incredible art, like Ghost Rider.

This is your punishment for pushing Legion on people

I liked the books he made me read. I'm in camp Legion now.

Messi

I was speaking more in regards to shitty books with incredible art, like Ghost Rider.

I liked the books he made me read. I'm in camp Legion now.

Do you want me to put you on the list?

DC please...my wallet $250

NH57bYNl.jpg

This cover is just wonderful

vj7APEDl.jpg

October will be a great month for comics, Gotham Academy starts. Batgirl gets an all new start, Catwoman escapes Nocenti's grasp, Batwoman is starting a new arc. Wonder Woman is coming to an end and hopefully leaves with a bang. It didn't take long for this to happen but Jokers daughter and Harley are gonna throw down in Suicide Squad. Let us not forget two doses of Harley, one with Pee Gee and a stinky annual.

Oh and I see on twitter Jimmy Palmiotti/Amanda Conner ret conned the child murdering part of Harley's new 52 origin. Thank fuck.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's what Marvel Unlimited is for me when i eventually resub. I'll read All New X-Men, Uncanny, and GotG from Bendis there, but i dropped all of them from my pull list after Battle of the Atom.

All New has been amaaaaaazing since BotA. The last arc was just great. Uncanny has been a little slow though maybe.

Owzers

All New has been amaaaaaazing since BotA. The last arc was just great. Uncanny has been a little slow though maybe.

I didn't like the 3 issues after BotA for either book so i dropped them all at once before the Trial of Jean Grey started with GOTG.I need stuff for MU though too, otherwise i was just buying a ton of monthlies and only having 5 series to read on MU.

Zombine

Banned
I need some sort of second opinion on this or something...

American Vampire is one of, if not the most fully fleshed out Vampire story I have ever read. I love all the characters, I think the Pearl/Skinner dynamic is wonderful, and I had a blast reading through the entirety of the main series including all of the mini's released thus far.

Fast forward a few months after finishing up the series, I found out that Second Cycle is coming out. "Fuck yes! More American Vampire!" I say.

So I sit and wait with anticipation to see where the series is going to go with this continuation of the story, and the day finally comes when issue #1 arrives.

"That was...that was just ok." I was thinking in my head. Maybe it's just a slow start. Then issue #2 rolls around "Why does the book look like this? Why does Pearl not look like herself? This IS Albaqurque art. Why is this story so flat?"

I just don't know what it is, but as of yet Second Cycle has not even remotely captured me in the same way the original series has. Maybe I was on overload from reading 50+ issues in a couple of days, but I preferred the book better when it was less Superhero Pearl and more Snyder writing a Stephen King novel.

Anyone else still having fun with the series, but still having a hard time adjusting to this new arc? It's far from bad, it's still one of the best new books of the past 5 years, but I'm not so sure this tone change is where the book needed to go.

American Vampire is one of, if not the most fully fleshed out Vampire story I have ever read. I love all the characters, I think the Pearl/Skinner dynamic is wonderful, and I had a blast reading through the entirety of the main series including all of the mini's released thus far.

Fast forward a few months after finishing up the series, I found out that Second Cycle is coming out. "Fuck yes! More American Vampire!" I say.

So I sit and wait with anticipation to see where the series is going to go with this continuation of the story, and the day finally comes when issue #1 arrives.

"That was...that was just ok." I was thinking in my head. Maybe it's just a slow start. Then issue #2 rolls around "Why does the book look like this? Why does Pearl not look like herself? This IS Albaqurque art. Why is this story so flat?"

I just don't know what it is, but as of yet Second Cycle has not even remotely captured me in the same way the original series has. Maybe I was on overload from reading 50+ issues in a couple of days, but I preferred the book better when it was less Superhero Pearl and more Snyder writing a Stephen King novel.

Anyone else still having fun with the series, but still having a hard time adjusting to this new arc?

I think every issue has been solid so far. Nothing amazing but let's face it, the first 3 volumes of AmpVamp were legendary. The last 2 volumes were fantastic but those first few were on another level.

I think it's just fatigue. I love the book, but after this arc, I'm considering trade waiting it just so I don't get burnt out on it. This is my first time reading it month to month and it is not as exciting. Reads better in chunks.

Messi

Looking over those DC solicits.... so nice to see a Catwoman solicit with Ann Nocenti's name nowhere to be found. :D

I shed a tear.

269789_o.gif

It's just perfect. She can cease to exist in my comic reading life now. Never have I felt such relief.

Anyone else still having fun with the series, but still having a hard time adjusting to this new arc? It's far from bad, it's still one of the best new books of the past 5 years, but I'm not so sure this tone change is where the book needed to go.

I think every issue has been solid so far. Nothing amazing but let's face it, the first 3 volumes of AmpVamp were legendary. The last 2 volumes were fantastic but those first few were on another level.

I think it's just fatigue. I love the book, but after this arc, I'm considering trade waiting it just so I don't get burnt out on it. This is my first time reading it month to month and it is not as exciting. Reads better in chunks.

Korupt nailed it, it's fatigue. Exact same thing is happening to me. I love the series but I am going back to trade waiting. It reads much better in chunks.

Zombine

Banned

I think that might have been my problem. I was expecting volume 1-3 level of perfection, and by comic standards it has just been "good."

I am hoping that things can slow down a bit and get more personal again. Right now the book is going all out with this bad guy.

Korupt nailed it, it's fatigue. Exact same thing is happening to me. I love the series but I am going back to trade waiting. It reads much better in chunks.

I need some rock solid horror in my life though. I have never read Locke & Key or Wraith. I'm not so sure I would start Wraith until I finish N0S4A2 though.

Kipp

I really should check out American Vampire sometime. The main thing keeping me away is that I don't like vampires at all, but a good comic is a good comic I guess. I'm sure I'd still love it.

Zombine

Banned
I really should check out American Vampire sometime. The main thing keeping me away is that I don't like vampires at all, but a good comic is a good comic I guess. I'm sure I'd still love it.

It is everything that is right about horror and comic books. The first chapters read like a Stephen King novel.
please don't say it, Korupt or Messi, I know.

Kipp

It sounds silly, but there have been quite a few books I've had no interest in reading because the premise didn't sound at all like something I'd enjoy, but then I forced myself to read it because it was well-regarded and I totally loved it. In fact, a lot of the books I read are like that.
Unknown Soldier, for example. Super serious war story? Does not seem like something I'd want to read. But here I am reading it and thinking it's definitely one of my top three favorite comics.

It is everything that is right about horror and comic books. The first chapters read like a Stephen King novel.
please don't say it, Korupt or Messi, I know.

I'm not actually sure I've read a horror comic yet... I guess American Vampire would be a good place to start then.
Speaking of things I haven't done, I haven't ever read a Stephen King novel either. And I consider myself an avid reader. Shameful.

Zombine

Banned
BECAUSE STEPHEN KING WROTE IT KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE

Well I mean you can tell what pages that Stephen King wrote. They're the ones with the racial slurs.

I'm not actually sure I've read a horror comic yet... I guess American Vampire would be a good place to start then.
Speaking of things I haven't done, I haven't ever read a Stephen King novel either. And I consider myself an avid reader. Shameful.

King is the master of easy reading. You can devour one of his novels in a few hours if you get into it. I love The Shining/Doctor Sleep. I feel like that's a good place to start.

fauxtrot

Banned
Decided to rock a new avatar in honor of Nocenti getting replaced on Catwoman... and got a username change as well (I was ViktVaughn previously). I feel like a whole new man!

Anyone else reading Five Ghosts? I finished the first trade over the weekend and liked it a lot... great art and mood, classic pulpy adventure, and the potential for some literary depth to sink your teeth into. With that said, I could see how the book could stumble after its introductory arc, so I'm hoping the subsequent issues have kept up the quality. Solid 8/10.

Zombine

Banned
Anyone else reading Five Ghosts? I finished the first trade over the weekend and liked it a lot... great art and mood, classic pulpy adventure, and the potential for some literary depth to sink your teeth into. With that said, I could see how the book could stumble after its introductory arc, so I'm hoping the subsequent issues have kept up the quality. Solid 8/10.

When I'm looking for literary depth I stick to Velvet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom