• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to read The Wicked + The Divine #2 is immediately AFTER 100th Anniversary X-Men. The level of craft on display is leaps and bounds above that POS, not to mention an infinitely more interesting world/plot.

Zombine

Banned
I can summarize The Last Will And Testament of Charles Xavier for those who are curious:

destiny_fucking_nothing.gif

ReiGun

Only got Teen Titan and Wic+Div today. Enjoyed both, W+D much more obviously. Though I wish it were about Luci or that black haired chick than the boring ass fangirl we've got.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This isn't the most traditional approach, but I personally like to introduce people to Hellboy with the third TPB, Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others. It's a collection of short stories that contains every aspect of what I think makes the series so magical, and isn't burdened with his origin story, etc. It doesn't spoil anything from Vol 1 or 2, and I'd say actually enhances those two trades when read prior to them. Anyone else agree?

I definitely don't disagree. That makes total sense. The only downside to that is he wouldn't really be able to get the Library Edition, since it contains Right Hand of Doom, which does kind of need the previous stuff to make sense (IIRC). So if he likes it and wanted to start from the beginning with the Library Editions, he'd be in a bit of a pickle.
Again, I don't disagree at all with your suggestion, but my personal suggestion would be to get the Library Edition vol 1 if you are okay with spending more money and really want the oversized format and intend to continue with more Hellboy volumes afterwards (assuming you like it), but if you want to dip your toes in and just see what Hellboy is all about, go with Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others TPB.

The Chained Coffin and Others TPB is definitely a smorgasbord of what makes Hellboy great though and would definitely work well as an introduction.

Edit: Just saw your edit. So basically I agree with you 100%. :p

Because comics.

It's not like Marvel chronology hasn't tripped over itself before. Besides, if they need a new Wolverine, they can just yank one from another dimension. Or get Hank on it, he can just pull Logan out of the past right before he died.

I know I'm just busting Marvel's balls. Literally just the other day they had a PR statement of Wolverine is dead for ever and he's never coming back. Today we saw in the future he's back. It's sillyness.

fauxtrot

Banned
I definitely don't disagree. That makes total sense. The only downside to that is he wouldn't really be able to get the Library Edition, since it contains Right Hand of Doom, which does kind of need the previous stuff to make sense (IIRC). So if he likes it and wanted to start from the beginning with the Library Editions, he'd be in a bit of a pickle.
Again, I don't disagree at all with your suggestion, but my personal suggestion would be to get the Library Edition vol 1 if you are okay with spending more money and really want the oversized format and intend to continue with more Hellboy volumes afterwards (assuming you like it), but if you want to dip your toes in and just see what Hellboy is all about, go with Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others TPB.

The Chained Coffin and Others TPB is definitely a smorgasbord of what makes Hellboy great though and would definitely work well as an introduction.

Edit: Just saw your edit. So basically I agree with you 100%. :p

If I remember correctly, you can bare-bones it and ignore everything that's not titled Hellboy or BPRD and be just fine at least until Hell on Earth (if not longer). When you get to Hollow Earth, just PM me and we'll figure out how deep you want to get (aka, how much money you want to shell out) and tailor a list to your liking.

Kipp

If I remember correctly, you can bare-bones it and ignore everything that's not titled Hellboy or BPRD and be just fine at least until Hell on Earth (if not longer). When you get to Hollow Earth, just PM me and we'll figure out how deep you want to get (aka, how much money you want to shell out) and tailor a list to your liking.

Okay, cool! Thanks for all the help!

We found Rafa's guy.

Dont forget us when you make it, guys.

I've already begun only associating with fellow comics superstars. Just weening myself slowly away from this thread so you guys don't suspect anything.
I will forget all of you when I make it. Humble beginnings? Support from Neogaf forum members? Pshaw!

So it's an appropriate time to get into Hellboy as it's the 20th Anniversary. Just ordered Vol 1. Mignola's art looks too good, I could live off that alone; the bonus is it actually being a highly rated series.

I liked Teen Titans. First time I have read them in the n52. The biggest thing I look for in a team book is the writers ability to add a characters personality to their dialog. I don't want to read it and every character sound the same. Happy to say Pfeifer's did this well.

I also bought another 400 page TPB today with Grant Morrison on the cover. But it wasn't for Grant Morrison. I bought JLA volume 4. This collects the Tower of Babel story by Mark Waid. Heard it's one of the best Batman stories.

I liked Teen Titans. First time I have read them in the n52. The biggest thing I look for in a team book is the writers ability to add a characters personality to their dialog. I don't want to read it and every character sound the same. Happy to say Pfeifer's did this well.

You should read Superior Foes or New Warriors if you're ever looking for a Marvel team book!

Also: we need to get Kipp's art in next month's OT

Magneto continues to be dumb fun. It really feels like the best part of X-Men: First Class-- Revenge driven Magneto hunting people down.

Easily the most I've ever enjoyed a Bunn book.

You should read Superior Foes or New Warriors if you're ever looking for a Marvel team book!

I read Superior Foes for the first 8 issues. I dropped most of my Marvel stuff. Going to buy it in trades. Marvel puts out good stuff but my wallet can't afford it all.

Kipp

So it's an appropriate time to get into Hellboy as it's the 20th Anniversary. Just ordered Vol 1. Mignola's art looks too good, I could live off that alone; the bonus is it actually being a highly rated series.

Woo! Awesome!

never forget

Humble beginnings

Humble beginnings indeed

Wait, what the fuck is his other hand doing in that picture??? XD

Hahaha.
I still maintain that this is an accurate portrayal of my omnibus reading position.

I would be honored.

I read Superior Foes for the first 8 issues. I dropped most of my Marvel stuff. Going to buy it in trades. Marvel puts out good stuff but my wallet can't afford it all.

I think I'm headed this way, too. I'll keep stuff like Uncanny and All-New (X-Men), and Ms. Marvel, but Marvel is going crazy with all the $3.99 books. I'm getting into more DC books, too. Image is still king, thougn.

Reading Batman Eternal after Teen Titans. Wonder if we will see Harper on the Titans one day. Who the hell knows who is going to be Batmans next sidekick.

ReiGun

Reading Batman Eternal after Teen Titans. Wonder if we will see Harper on the Titans one day. Who the hell knows who is going to be Batmans next sidekick.

I should hope not. The one-two of "Teen Titan" and "Batman sidekick" dramatically ups her chances of being killed. :p

Ah, I understand. I was really disappointed by Marvel raising the price on Superior Foes. It really doesn't seem like much but that extra dollar really adds up over time.

Ok, read all of Batman Eternal. Rat Fawkes scripted this issue and leave it to him todo some spooky stuff at Arkham. With that said, I feel like they assembled this team of writers, they all decided to tell a certain angle to the story. So far, Ray Fawkes story so far has been on the back burner and this issue suffers because of it. It feels like this is taking place before the last issue. If that's the case, put some editorial notes in there. The art by Nguyen was great and did some great spooky stuff. This issue did continue the Harper and Red Robin stuff and the storyline in Brazil with BG and RH. Few new characters made their appearance too. Solid issue with some shortcomings. 7/10.

Futures End was cool. Had some engaging soap opera at the end. It's hard to judge this because I know I'm only one more week away to getting more answers. I'll give this issue a 6/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom