• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
its not even a fun kind of bad, its just the crudely drawn, phony characterized, bad dialog/"jokes" having, completely goddamn pointless kind of What If? comic Marvel used to shit out back in the day, but now they sneak them out under this fake 100th anniversary banner to unsuspecting people

It's really one if the worst books I have read all year. At first I thought it was going to go somewhere with Emma all naked and stuff, but then she is erased from time.

fauxtrot

Banned
Man. For like the past month I've been craving Hellboy more than I've ever craved reading any comic before. I've read a bit of Hellboy a while ago but don't personally own any of the collections, and I want to read some Hellboy now more than anything else. If I wasn't buying the Doom Patrol omnibus at the end of the month, I'd make an IST order right now with the first two Library Editions.
I think I'm going to compromise though and add the first Library Edition to my Doom Patrol order in a couple weeks. I just can't help it. Mignola is too good. My wallet can cry later.

MY MAN.

I personally am always a little nervous about recommending Hellboy to some of my friends because I feel like it's a slow-burn kind of story that takes at least an arc or two to really find its driving force (for lack of a better term). If the mood and on-another-level art doesn't grab them, I'm always worried they'll drop it before it can sink its teeth in. (I don't know how the art can't not grab anyone, though.)

Zombine

Banned
MY MAN.

I personally am always a little nervous about recommending Hellboy to some of my friends because I feel like it's a slow-burn kind of story that takes at least an arc or two to really find its driving force (for lack of a better term). If the mood and on-another-level art doesn't grab them, I'm always worried they'll drop it before it can sink its teeth in. (I don't know how the art can't not grab anyone, though.)

The universe that Mike Mignola spawned out of Hellboy is one of the most intricate and lovingly crafted I have ever seen. Everything from Hellboy to BRPD to Baltimore are absolutely lovely. If anyone drops Hellboy they are doing it wrong.

Is X-Men 100 Nocenti level?

It makes her look like Alan Moore by comparison.

See, this is where the gimmick gets weird to me. "oh, these comics are 100 years in the future in OUR time." Um, ok?

My preference would have been stories 100 years in the future with completely new characters and wild ideas that have to go nowhere. Give us happy endings, give us new beginnings, spawn off a new "2099 Universe."
Give me anything but this.

I mean holy shit. I wasn't even trying with those ideas.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
MY MAN.

Yeah, there's just something really special about Hellboy. Especially the art. Mignola is just a genius.

And I wouldn't be too nervous about recommending Hellboy. I remember when I first read Hellboy when I was first getting into comics, I started at the beginning with Seed of Destruction and it grabbed me right away. In fact, that's the story I'm most looking forward to reading again when I pick up the Library Edition.

Gaaaah. I want to read it so badly I can't stand it. This is annoying. Haha

Love your avatar, by the way!

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy fuckballs, X-Men 100th anniversary is egregiously bad.

Kipp

The universe that Mike Mignola spawned out of Hellboy is one of the most intricate and lovingly crafted I have ever seen. Everything from Hellboy to BRPD to Baltimore are absolutely lovely. If anyone drops Hellboy they are doing it wrong.

If somebody gave me a few hundred dollars to spend on comics right now, I'd buy all the Hellboy/BPRD hardcovers right now.
Having read all the amazing things people have to say about BPRD in particular, I really hope that I can summon the ability to buy all the Hellboy Library Editions pretty soon so that I can see what BPRD is all about.
Is Baltimore in the same universe? I think I'd always assumed it was just its own deal. Good to know that it's good, too. I hadn't really heard much about it so I just assumed it wasn't nearly as good as Hellboy/BPRD.

Holy fuckballs, X-Men 100th anniversary is egregiously bad.

You gonna use that digital code? Haha

Zombine

Banned
14670765574_f298478912_b.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14486455888_1e5cc954f3_b.jpg

Mass+Effect+3+12.jpg

well then, thank god Silver Surfer came out this week so i had a reason not to pick it up. but now y'all got me curious.

WicDiv #2 - still a great book!

Have a feeling books of the month is gonna be hard this month. The Auteur wrapped up, WicDiv is still great, Seconds was rad, Archie is fucking dead, and Transformers vs. GI Joe isn't even out yet.

I generally just lurk in this thread, but how bad X-Men 100 is is forcing me to post. I read it and immediately threw up on a newborn baby. Terrible art, terrible characterization, nothing that "fun" about the concept and an ending that was supposed to be up-beat and happy but completely missed the mark.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
But aren't you guys curious as to how Wolverine lost his eye?

fauxtrot

Banned
An eye patch AND a eye-scar on the opposite side? Wolverine 2061 has seen some shit!

Damnit, you guys... stop tempting me to read shitty comics.

Zombine

Banned
I generally just lurk in this thread, but how bad X-Men 100 is is forcing me to post. I read it and immediately threw up on a newborn baby. Terrible art, terrible characterization, nothing that "fun" about the concept and an ending that was supposed to be up-beat and happy but completely missed the mark.

Seriously. I know. It was just the worst. I would rather have another arc of Nocenti Catwoman.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'm pretty sure Baltimore is in its own universe all together... though I'm behind on it, so I could be wrong. It's awesome as well, but I'd suggest focusing your money/time on Hellboy & BPRD for now.

Seriously. I know. It was just the worst. I would rather have another arc of Nocenti Catwoman.

4a519_orig-leaving_with_disgust.gif

Kipp

Quick Hellboy question:

So I'm looking into the reading order for the Mignolaverse and I see two slightly different reading orders (Here and here).

The second one is obviously preferable because it doesn't involve any jumping between collected editions, but is it incorrect? Or is the reading order really not super important and as long as I read it in generally the right order (AKA read BPRD hardcovers 1-3 after reading Hellboy hardcovers 1-3), I'll be all right? And then how essential is it to read the offshoot books (Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder) in the correct order?

Heeeeeeeeelp.

I'm pretty sure Baltimore is in its own universe all together... though I'm behind on it, so I could be wrong. It's awesome as well, but I'd suggest focusing your money/time on Hellboy & BPRD for now.

Cool! Will do! I'll definitely keep it in mind for when I eventually finish getting all the Hellboy/BPRD stuff.

Well, you already read X-Men 100, so there's no need for the rest of us to suffer. You shouldn't kid about Nocenti Catwoman arcs.... Not when the light at the end of this long, dark tunnel is so, so close. I feel sorry for Klarion fans, but one must be sacrificed to the Nocenti so that Selina may live again.

Harley Quinn Comic Con issue was really fun. I hope they do this with Harley every once in awhile and let her do stuff within the world of comics like this and the #0 issue.

Messi

well then, thank god Silver Surfer came out this week so i had a reason not to pick it up. but now y'all got me curious.

WicDiv #2 - still a great book!

Have a feeling books of the month is gonna be hard this month. The Auteur wrapped up, WicDiv is still great, Seconds was rad, Archie is fucking dead, and Transformers vs. GI Joe isn't even out yet.

Did Locke and Keys final issue win book of the month a few months back?

Messi

I feel like it didn't. I'm just talking about my own list though. The Auteur probably ain't rankin in the top 3 anyway

It didn't win it. Harley Quinn #0 did. In the greatest victory ComicsGAF has ever delivered.

the more of Locke and Key I read the more I feel like that victory was a huge mistake. Kate we have to go back.

fauxtrot

Banned
Quick Hellboy question:

So I'm looking into the reading order for the Mignolaverse and I see two slightly different reading orders (Here and here).

The second one is obviously preferable because it doesn't involve any jumping between collected editions, but is it incorrect? Or is the reading order really not super important and as long as I read it in generally the right order (AKA read BPRD hardcovers 1-3 after reading Hellboy hardcovers 1-3), I'll be all right? And then how essential is it to read the offshoot books (Abe Sapien, Lobster Johnson, Witchfinder) in the correct order?

Heeeeeeeeelp.

I personally prefer re-reading it in the order of release (but by arc of course, rather than per issue), but you'll be just fine using the Multiversity guide for a while. Once you get to their Lobster Johnson "chunk" of four TPBs, I'd suggest starting to read in order of release date, just so you don't burn yourself out on 4 trades worth of LJ that isn't going to be pushing the main story forward. Let me know if you want me to draw you up a list to help.

Owzers

trying to go through some stuff:

Jim Henson presents thingy The Storyteller hardcover: I got a few stories into it and it seems rather basic, if not mostly enjoyable. Partially done still random 6/10.

MY MAN.

Can you recommend a starting point for someone that hasn't read any Hellboy? Especially anything with amazing art.

Edit: Guess I should have read back a few posts...

But you GUYS! They said Wolverine was dead FOR! EVE! VER! How can he be in the FUTURE?????

Because comics.

It's not like Marvel chronology hasn't tripped over itself before. Besides, if they need a new Wolverine, they can just yank one from another dimension. Or get Hank on it, he can just pull Logan out of the past right before he died.

But you GUYS! They said Wolverine was dead FOR! EVE! VER! How can he be in the FUTURE?????
Clearly what happened was that, sometime between now and the year 2061, Marvel rebooted its universe and hired retired industry legend and X-Men alum Jim Lee to redesign their iconic heroes for this bold "New 616" era of comics. Lee then gave Logan an eyepatch and a facial scar, because it looks cool and extreme.

Also, the collars have never been higher.

Kipp

Can you recommend a starting point for someone that hasn't read any Hellboy? Especially anything with amazing art.

This.

Or if you don't want to blind-buy a $30 book (even though you definitely won't regret it and it's a super high-quality massively oversized hardcover), you could go with this.

I personally prefer re-reading it in the order of release (but by arc of course, rather than per issue), but you'll be just fine using the Multiversity guide for a while. Once you get to their Lobster Johnson "chunk" of four TPBs, I'd suggest starting to read in order of release date, just so you don't burn yourself out on 4 trades worth of LJ that isn't going to be pushing the main story forward. Let me know if you want me to draw you up a list to help.

Good to know! Thanks.
It really won't be much of a hassle switching collected editions every arc, so I might as well just read it as it was intended. So basically this reading order is the one you'd recommend, right?
Also, since the main Hellboy/BPRD are more of a priority to me, are the Lobster Johnson/Abe Sapien books skippable in terms of following the main story? If not, I'd probably pass on them until I'd finished Hellboy and BPRD. I know you already basically answered this with "4 trades worth of LJ that isn't going to be pushing the main story forward," but I just want to make sure.
Also, I realize I'm ridiculous for trying to work all this out when I haven't even bought Library Edition vol 1 yet. Thanks for bearing with me. :p

Clearly what happened was that, sometime between now and the year 2061, Marvel rebooted its universe and hired retired industry legend and X-Men alum Jim Lee to redesign their iconic heroes for this bold "New 616" era of comics. Lee then gave Logan an eyepatch and a facial scar, because it looks cool and extreme.

Also, the collars have never been higher.

Their costumes didn't have enough lines though man

This.

Or if you don't want to blind-buy a $30 book (even though you definitely won't regret it and it's a super high-quality massively oversized hardcover), you could go with this.

Good to know! Thanks.
It really won't be much of a hassle switching collected editions every arc, so I might as well just read it as it was intended. So basically this reading order is the one you'd recommend, right?
Also, since the main Hellboy/BPRD are more of a priority to me, are the Lobster Johnson/Abe Sapien books skippable in terms of following the main story? If not, I'd probably pass on them until I'd finished Hellboy and BPRD. I know you already basically answered this with "4 trades worth of LJ that isn't going to be pushing the main story forward," but I just want to make sure.
Also, I realize I'm ridiculous for trying to work all this out when I haven't even bought Library Edition vol 1 yet. Thanks for bearing with me. :p

That first one is perfect, thanks!

fauxtrot

Banned

This isn't the most traditional approach, but I personally like to introduce people to Hellboy with the third TPB, Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others. It's a collection of short stories that contains every aspect of what I think makes the series so magical, and isn't burdened with his origin story, etc. It doesn't spoil anything from Vol 1 or 2, and I'd say actually enhances those two trades when read prior to them. Anyone else agree?

edit - This would only apply to those buying the trades rather than the library editions, and if I was to suggest one over the other, I'd say ignore everything I've posted advice and get Library Edition Vol 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom