• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

Bleh, you guys are getting me all interested in Hellboy. The main series looks easy enough, and it seems like it could be handled with just the six library editions and an extra trade. But then BPRD is also crucial/good? Which seems to have like 14 trades plus some bonus ones, then another run of 8? And there are omnibuses but they don't cover everything? And then there's some spinoff solo series?

Lemonz

05EysWb.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
Bleh, you guys are getting me all interested in Hellboy. The main series looks easy enough, and it seems like it could be handled with just the six library editions and an extra trade. But then BPRD is also crucial/good? Which seems to have like 14 trades plus some bonus ones, then another run of 8? And there are omnibuses but they don't cover everything? And then there's some spinoff solo series?

There is a LOT of material in Mignola's world, but what's awesome is you can read them all separately and never feel like you're missing out. For example, all of Hellboy can be read on its own and works perfectly. BPRD works best if you've read Hellboy up until BPRD's run starts, but you wouldn't even need to read the Hellboy issues that follow it. I think the only series that should be read directly with another is the newest Abe Sapien ongoing and BPRD.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Can i make a request? Can you guys stop making ot comic threads for story changes? Reading people talk nonsense or straight shit on comics gives me a headache

PsychBat!

Banned
Can i make a request? Can you guys stop making ot comic threads for story changes? Reading people talk nonsense or straight shit on comics gives me a headache
real talk, some guy told me to fuck off because I didn't like Uncanny Avengers. It was out of nowhere.

fertygo

Except usually that making thread isn't one of regulars at here, and you can always skipping the thread.

Avengers NOW! teaser image and details (no, that doesn't mean that this is a new Avengers lineup, just that this is what Marvel decided to call Marvel NOW! Phase 3 since they're pushing the Avengers brand).

LWykowq.jpg

Marvel has some big changes in store for Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man. While their corporate siblings over at Marvel Studios prepare to reunite the Big Three onscreen in next year’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, Marvel Comics will debut radical new looks for the three most iconic Avengers. It’s all part of a much larger initiative known as Avengers NOW!, which will see the debut of new Big Three books and several other new ongoing series.

In November, Superior Iron Man #1 sends Tony Stark to San Francisco with a new outfit and a new perspective on life. “The Genius Bar costume is there for a reason,” Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso tells EW. “The newly-transformed Superior Iron Man has very ambitious plans for the city that some of its residents embrace, but not all.” Comic book fans will note the very pointed addition of the word “Superior” to the title. The last time that happened, it was Superior Spider-Man, and Doctor Octopus took over Peter Parker’s brain. Doc Ock won’t be invading Tony’s frontal lobe, but Alonso does note, “Like the Superior Spider-Man, Superior Iron Man is a character that’s hard to root for.” The series is written by Tom Taylor and drawn by In a series written by Tom Taylor and drawn by Yildiray Cinar.

(skipping the Cap part since they were saving the Falcon exclusive for Colbert)

But all those changes pale in comparison to what’s going on in October’s Thor #1. In the new series written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Russell Dauterman, there’s a whole new Thunder God–or Goddess, rather. It all comes out of the Original Sin story arc. “For reasons that will be revealed in Original Sin, Thor won’t be able to pick up the hammer,” says Alonso. “Someone has to pick up the hammer. And someone does. And they become Thor.” That someone is a lady—who precise identity won’t be revealed immediately. “There are several women in Thor’s life, and one of them is going to be the new Thor. You aren’t going to find out who it is for some time. This is a slowly unfolding mystery.”

So from the teaser image, we have:

Announced books: Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Winter Soldier, Deathlok
Current books: Medusa and (I think) the flame Inhuman (though possible there's a new Inhumans series coming already, since the Inhuman launch was botched pretty badly)
Unannounced books: Angela, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch (the only one of these who hasn't been rumored recently; she might just represent Uncanny Avengers post-Axis, I dunno)

DustinC

So Iron Man's helmet definitely has a Vision-ish thing going on there, right?

I have absolutely no idea where/what Vision is involved in right now.

Cheska

Since I haven't noticed much talk about Secret Avengers #5 in here, I just want to talk about how amazing it continues to be. HOLY CRAP AT THOSE MODOK FEELS! I actually got a little choked up there reading some of these panels. Kot is just killing it!

EDIT: Well, at least we know Angela isn't the new Thor.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Except usually that making thread isn't one of regulars at here, and you can always skipping the thread.

Going into a thread for information and seeing constant ridiculous views or seeing the countless reasons why they dont read comics gets old

Cheska

Going into a thread for information and seeing constant ridiculous views or seeing the countless reasons why they dont read comics gets old

That's honestly why I tend to avoid those particular threads. That manga vs comics one was especially bad.

tm24

You're fighting a losing battle. Over in wrassle-gaf this has been an ongoing thing for like the last 2 years

That's honestly why I tend to avoid those particular threads. That manga vs comics one was especially bad.

I lost a few patches of hair over that one

I dunno, I still haven't gotten enough of "wtf this character/team has changed so much since I stopped reading comics"

Captain Falcon looks completely badass, sign me up

I love seeing people talk about how comics are too convoluted but then completely ignore non Marvel/DC stuff.

I mean, once you accept the fact that you really don't have to read everything it's not like superhero comics are that difficult to get into. I started comics with the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run on Amazing Spider-Man and then started reading bits and pieces of ASM by JMS/JRJR and I never really found anything too convoluted. One of the great things about Marvel/DC is that if you're not enjoying a run you can drop it and come back when a new creative team takes over or whatever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can someone explain Angela to me?

how do you go from being a Spawn universe character ro a Marvel universe character? Did they even bother to explain it or link it at all since they bought the character or whatever they did?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

how do you go from being a Spawn universe character ro a Marvel universe character? Did they even bother to explain it or link it at all since they bought the character or whatever they did?

Age of Ultron fucked shit up big time and she came through some tear in the multiverse.

Behind the scenes Marvel made a deal and bought her.

...........but manga and comics are essentially the same thing. I hate people sometimes most times.
That's what I was trying to say in that thread. I don't get how a lover of the medium can dismiss comics or manga completely.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe they brought her in when time broke or whatever during Age of Ultron. They haven't completely explained it AFAIK, but it's supposed to be addressed with that Original Sin tie-in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Age of Ultron fucked shit up big time and she came through some tear in the multiverse.

Behind the scenes Marvel made a deal and bought her.

ok so they didnt pretend she was a long lost Marvel character, Sentry style then? The shit she did with spawn is canon technically?

has she mentioned Spawn at all, if not by name just in a "wink wink" way?

Has anybody been reading the Thor/Loki/Angela thing? I didn't realize God of Thunder was actually on hiatus while that's coming out...

ok so they didnt pretend she was a long lost Marvel character, Sentry style then? The shit she did with spawn is canon technically?

has she mentioned Spawn at all, if not by name just in a "wink wink" way?

I think the Original Sin story makes her a long lost Marvel character

Not even a winking reference to Spawn so far outside of some vague mumbo jumbo about angels

DustinC

My memory is a little fuzzy but I believe they brought her in when time broke or whatever during Age of Ultron. They haven't completely explained it AFAIK, but it's supposed to be addressed with that Original Sin tie-in.

Yeah, it was Age of Ultron. She's been tagging along with the Guardian's of the Galaxy for a bit.

Soooo, are people enjoying Original Sin up to this point? Six issues in, and I'm not into it at all. I'll finish it out with two issues left to go, but this is about as bland as an event comic can get for me. It's like they're trying to outdo the awful pacing of Forever Evil, and tacking one more issue on top.

PsychBat!

Banned
Well the question I made for the thread was specifically (and unfairly) worded like this: why do manga readers get turned off by "western" comics (& vice-versa)?

Soon, most people who read manga here on GAF ignored my specific wording and it turned into "superhero comics vs manga: the thread". Hardly anyone from the western comic book side let alone the superhero comic book fans came by. And for good reason.

Here's the thread for anyone who is curious. It isn't locked but I don't recommend bringing it back to the front page of the OT.

Yeah, it was Age of Ultron. She's been tagging along with the Guardian's of the Galaxy for a bit.

Soooo, are people enjoying Original Sin up to this point? Six issues in, and I'm not into it at all. I'll finish it out with two issues left to go, but this is about as bland as an event comic can get for me. It's like they're trying to outdo the awful pacing of Forever Evil, and tacking one more issue on top.

I was enjoying it up to this week which was a snoozefest. Between that and ASM #1 I got a lot of napping done during my comic reading today

That's what I was trying to say in that thread. I don't get how a lover of the medium can dismiss comics or manga completely.

It's similar to the rampant console faboyism. You can only enjoy one game console, you can't just be a fan of the medium and leave it at that. I admit, a lot of manga is silly and just uses big-boobed girls instead of a real plot, but there are some genuinely good manga series out there, so I do enjoy both comics and manga.

ReAxion

It's here! Again!

Ain't no second issue letdown here, folks. The mortal world's favorite pop-god comic delivers again! Hype Train tickets are still available. Hop on and get your ticket punched before it's optioned for TV and you're left in its divine dust.

A digital copy Issue #1 just price dropped to $1.99.
Get it in the format of your choice directly from Image or from Comixology (rated 17+, in glorious HD)

You want diversity? It's got it.
What about witty dialogue? Check.
You want mystery, intrigue, and suspense? Check, check, check.
Okay, but how about unique monologue lettering? Check  again.
What? You want a custom playlist to go with it? You better believe that's a check: http://bit.ly/WicDivPlaylist

Oh, you didn't pick it up?

We are very disappoint.

Issue #3 descends from the heavens/rises from the pits of hell August 20!

When did Spider-Man 2099 come back? was it in Superior or something? #1 was accessible, but I definitely missed some stuff beforehand. The issue itself was pretty good, and i'd like to keep on it, but good lord, Will Sliney is terrible. Not Khoi Pham level, but everything he draws lacks detail and character. No energy whatsoever. I don't know if i CAN keep on it. At least with Scarlet Spider, I had bought like all the issues before reading them (they piled up in the backlog before i got to them).

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Avengers NOW! teaser image and details (no, that doesn't mean that this is a new Avengers lineup, just that this is what Marvel decided to call Marvel NOW! Phase 3 since they're pushing the Avengers brand).

LWykowq.jpg

So from the teaser image, we have:

Announced books: Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Winter Soldier, Deathlok
Current books: Medusa and (I think) the flame Inhuman (though possible there's a new Inhumans series coming already, since the Inhuman launch was botched pretty badly)
Unannounced books: Angela, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Scarlet Witch (the only one of these who hasn't been rumored recently; she might just represent Uncanny Avengers post-Axis, I dunno)

Some of these changes really let me await Age of Ultron (and with it the return of the old status quo) even more...

ReiGun

Rei, did you like the Scooby-Doo team-up with Wonder Woman?
I dug it. There's a moment where Scooby
sings the Wonder Woman theme song
that put a smile on my face. It's a fun little romp and I'll read the next issues.

Well the rule is "new thread for new news" and not everyone interested comics posts in here. But I agree that wading through the same ol comics hate is annoying. Especially when a lot of it comes from the same posters.

I mean, I get that....but y'all still ain't have to leaving me, Par, and PsychBat hanging. :(

I love seeing people talk about how comics are too convoluted but then completely ignore non Marvel/DC stuff.

I mean, once you accept the fact that you really don't have to read everything it's not like superhero comics are that difficult to get into. I started comics with the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run on Amazing Spider-Man and then started reading bits and pieces of ASM by JMS/JRJR and I never really found anything too convoluted. One of the great things about Marvel/DC is that if you're not enjoying a run you can drop it and come back when a new creative team takes over or whatever.
One thing I learned in that thread is that some people are hardcore into plot and knowing every bit of minutiae of a world/story as it comes out. The idea of just starting and stopping where you want is baffling to them, as are just picking up things through context clues.

I mean, we had people arguing it was bizarre to be a Superman fan and not want to read every piece of Superman media. Like, dude, I love Big Blue, but you couldn't pay me to read "Grounded."

fauxtrot

Banned
Some of these changes really let me await Age of Ultron (and with it the return of the old status quo) even more...

Should they not try new things? Even if they're temporary (and of course they are), change and small risks are how we end up with fresh takes on age old concepts.

ReAxion

One thing I learned in that thread is that some people are hardcore into plot and knowing every bit of minutiae of a world/story as it comes out. The idea of just starting and stopping where you want is baffling to them, as are just picking up things through context clues.

I mean, we had people arguing it was bizarre to be a Superman fan and not want to read every piece of Superman media. Like, dude, I love Big Blue, but you couldn't pay me to read "Grounded."

I can understand that feeling being on the outside, but obviously that goes away. I assume they also don't believe you have to 100% every video game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Should they not try new things? Even if they're temporary (and of course they are), change and small risks are how we end up with fresh takes on age old concepts.

In my opinion, thats what alternate universes or Elseworld-Storys are there for. They could also rather introduce new interesting characters than depower old ones and replace them for 10 issues with another or at least until the new movie comes out.

Edit: Also, we all know that in the last story we will see that the new character is in the end not worthy enough to beat the villain and only saved through the sudden reappearence of the real deal.

ReiGun

I can understand that feeling being on the outside, but obviously that goes away. I assume they also don't believe you have to 100% every video game.

Oh I totally get it too. I used to be like that. I got out of it when I realized I just wanted to read some cool stories about Batgirl or whatever. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom