• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ranking Amazing X-Men alongside Wolverine is a crime against the medium.

Peoples hate boner for Yost will never go down. You will doom my beloved New Warriors/Scarlet Spider ongoing. I'll soon pack all your favourites on to a bus, just you wait.

I think this is your supervillain origin.

But really, man, do I miss Scarlet Spider. Seriously, what a fun book when it first started, before the Pham-ine.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You will read Superior Foes, Birdie. You will. All things in time.

Off the topic of cape-oo since I've been MIA:

- Southern Bastards is swoll as fook.
- Trees is intriguing but I feel it needs to go somewhere sort of quicker to pay off the concept.
- IDW TMNT continues to be the best franchise comic every month.

I think this is your supervillain origin.

But really, man, do I miss Scarlet Spider. Seriously, what a fun book when it first started, before the Pham-ine.

My supervillain origin was so many reboots ago I can't even remember it.

New Warriors has just enough Aracely/Kaine hijinx to tide me over but we all know that shoe shall drop soon enough and THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THESE EMOTIONS?!

Ranking Amazing X-Men alongside Wolverine is a crime against the medium.

Peoples hate boner for Yost will never go down. You will doom my beloved New Warriors/Scarlet Spider ongoing. I'll soon pack all your favourites on to a bus, just you wait.
I gave Birdie the digital codes for New Warriors 1-6 and he enjoyed it! He's not a Yost hater by any means

I dropped all dem X-Books months ago

Its Uncanny Avengers or bust at this point
Pretty much

You will read Superior Foes, Birdie. You will. All things in time.

Off the topic of cape-oo since I've been MIA:

- Southern Bastards is swoll as fook.
- Trees is intriguing but I feel it needs to go somewhere sort of quicker to pay off the concept.
- IDW TMNT continues to be the best franchise comic every month.

I am making a concerted effort to catch up on Foes.

TMNT, I could just nOT get into the first issue. Does it get better? (I mean I guess it must.)

Transformers, though, I really love those books. LoSH + Battlestar Galactica, basically.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You guys dropped Brian Woods X-Men? But Jubilee was just about to ZZZzzzzzz and that baby was actually revealed to be ZZzZzzzzzzzz and Brian Wood just wants to touch you.

In the heart.

TMNT, I could just nOT get into the first issue. Does it get better? (I mean I guess it must.)

Yeah, it took me a while to get into too. Stick with it. I don't think it really grabbed me until arc 3. It's still not the first thing I read on weeks it comes out (in fact, it usually gets read near the end of the pile), but I always end up enjoying it, even if I don't particularly look forward to it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I gave Birdie the digital codes for New Warriors 1-6 and he enjoyed it! He's not a Yost hater by any means

Good. Goooooood. You have done the lords work.

The first few issues dealing with Hob are a slow burn, I didn't like it at first either. By the time the Micro's mix in and start expanding the world, shit just takes off. By the time you're at the Krang War you're up on your computer chair, naked, shivering all over screaming I LOVE BEING A TURTLE while making this face:
UcVbTL4.gif

fertygo

If there's one thing that I didn't like in Robin Rises is they will indulge to the mess that's Earth-2.
I believe in Tomasi da gawd tho.

Filthy Slug

If there's one thing that I didn't like in Robin Rises is they will indulge to the mess that's Earth-2.
I believe in Tomasi da gawd tho.
Tomasi is the best Bat writer currently.

Latest issue of Earth 2 was great.

We saw Aquawoman
wreck a Parademon army.
We saw Flash push
Beguiler into the speed force / infinity?
We saw Alan Scott
holding the mother fuckin' Earth from going through a boom tube.
We saw Dr. Fate
restored to normal by Val Zod?

And shit is about to get real between Val Zod and Superman.

Some good comics this week...

Tanslucid #4 is freagin awesome. The art and colors and amazing, and the story just gets better adding more n more pieces to it.

Robin Rises Omega #1 was good. A nice run down of what's been going on.

Batman Eternal #15 was pretty good. Great art.. very dark. I likey

Rat Queens #7 is an awesome book. That fight in the middle of the book was brutal and bloody. Good shit

Ms. Marvel #6 has been a fun book.

Life with Archie #36... Haven't read it,, mainly got it for the Francavilla cover , I have the Fiona Staple cover in my pull box. Do I want to spend $5 for the cover,

Elektra #4.... its purrtty. This issue seemed a little empty, and I just wanted to see more Cape Crow,, like that character a lot. Looks awesome

Also read Joe The Barbarian... I heart Sean Murphy lol. That was a reallllly good story. Fun

Sadist

Ms. Marvel #6: The art is so gooooddddd...

tumblr_inline_n8o2o8qSIm1rena7o.gif
WOW. Such athletics. Very claws. Much amaze. Glad I started to read these, because Kamala is lovely. Her geeking out when teaming-up with
Wolverine is awesome. Especially his reaction towards her fanfic story involving him and Storm.

Regarding the X-Men, most of the books took a dive. I still read Magneto which gets better every issue, even if it's Mags being all "grmbl grmbl I was this man with amazing powers, now I'm not. Must still avenge fellow mutants. Smoldering with generic rage". And I still like All New X-Men, but everything else is so blah. I miss Jason Aaron on Wolverine & the X-Men. I agree with the notion that Uncanny Avengers is the best X-book around at this time. Speaking of which, I've decided to collect UA TP's just because. Volume 1 should arrive next week.

I want to like Original Sin as well and #6 ends pretty damn cool, but it's a bit slow.

arkon

Bleh, you guys are getting me all interested in Hellboy. The main series looks easy enough, and it seems like it could be handled with just the six library editions and an extra trade. But then BPRD is also crucial/good? Which seems to have like 14 trades plus some bonus ones, then another run of 8? And there are omnibuses but they don't cover everything? And then there's some spinoff solo series?

The BPRD books will eventually be collected in new hardcover editions I think. Just not until those stories are finished. So you can get the 4 Plague of Frogs hardcovers to cover that particular storyline. The Hell on Earth collections will come at a later date once that storyline has run its course. I'm not sure what's going to happen with the 1947, 1948 and other short stories, but I guess they'll do similar for those once there's enough material. I don't think any of this has been officially announced mind you.

Still the 6 Library editions and the 4 BPRD hardcovers are a substantial chunk of reading to get through. And if you really don't want to wait for the next set of BPRD hardcovers you can just switch to the paperbacks to fill in the rest.

I've been out of comics regularly for awhile now. I pick up trades when I hear good things about them, but I haven't had the time and money to go pick up series as they come out. So I decided to try out digital and bought Robin Rises on comixology. Really great intro, just a straight 5 pages telling you everything you needed to know, and the rest was some great action. I look forward to reading more of it.

Parch

Always a bit intimidating jumping into a new "universe", but I've found Hellboy to be fairly accessible. I've never really had any problem with the trades and minis I've tried. When I see BPRD Hell on Earth is well over 100 issues now, that's where I'm reluctant to just jump on. Sometimes is still hard to get over that "must start at the beginning" feeling.

I've been out of comics regularly for awhile now. I pick up trades when I hear good things about them, but I haven't had the time and money to go pick up series as they come out. So I decided to try out digital and bought Robin Rises on comixology. Really great intro, just a straight 5 pages telling you everything you needed to know, and the rest was some great action. I look forward to reading more of it.

Yeah, Robin Rises did a really good job of getting one into the story. That is not how it normally is, so it is nice to see, especially for an event that is as "comic book"-y as it is.

Pls don't tell me that's reference to Earth-2 event :(

No, that is what Batman says after touching the
crystal that Glorious Godfrey
is after in Robin Rises. It's, seemingly, a vision of the future.

I need some Lantern Loremasters to answer a question for me: Has anyone ever survived the transition of removing a Red Lantern ring, outside of a Blue Lantern doing so? Are there any cases of this at all?

I need some Lantern Loremasters to answer a question for me: Has anyone ever survived the transition of removing a Red Lantern ring, outside of a Blue Lantern doing so? Are there any cases of this at all?
Well, if JLU takes place after red daughter then Supergirl will be the first that I've heard of

Well, if JLU takes place after red daughter then Supergirl will be the first that I've heard of

Well, yeah. I'm specifically referencing that because they go into how that happened in the most recent Supergirl. I don't particularly mind it, of course, but I was just curious if it had happened before in some fashion.

Recently finished reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run and House of M/Son of M/Silent War (thank you Pai Pai Master) on MU after I came around looking for suggestions.

Absolutely loved the Fantastic Four stuff. Last time I came in craving more cosmic marvel stories and that fit the bill perfectly. I was hooked at the council reveal and it didn't let up 'til the end. Would have loved to have seen more of that Universe built in Dooms image. That last issue was pretty amazing. One of the things I love about cosmic marvel is the way it plays with grand concepts like multi-universal maintenance, shaping, celestial beings and the like all while maintaining that light-hearted adventure feeling. Reading through it, I also realized Venture Bros. draws a lot more direct inspiration from FF than I ever realized. If there's more must read FF, I'd be happy for suggestions.

Silent war was cool too, but didn't leave me totally satisfied. I tried to google what would follow after that, but from what I can tell, the ending with Maximus doesn't get resolved in other comics, and when the inhumans are introduced again around the War of Kings stuff (which I've already read) Black Bolt is king again with no real explanation. If that's wrong I would be interested in reading what comes next.

So does anyone have any more suggestions of things to read on Marvel Unlimited? Their cosmic stuff has been really fun and I'd love more, but I'm open to suggestions on any all time greats.

arkon

Always a bit intimidating jumping into a new "universe", but I've found Hellboy to be fairly accessible. I've never really had any problem with the trades and minis I've tried. When I see BPRD Hell on Earth is well over 100 issues now, that's where I'm reluctant to just jump on. Sometimes is still hard to get over that "must start at the beginning" feeling.

That's the numbering for the overall BPRD series. Quick glance at the wiki shows Hell on Earth started with #69 in August 2010. So not quite 100 issues but it's halfway there.

fauxtrot

Banned
The more I peruse Project Rooftop, the more I wish Marvel/DC were willing to somehow dip into that talent pool and "purchase" the rights to certain redesigns, or hire some of those artists as "in-house" designers.

That's the numbering for the overall BPRD series. Quick glance at the wiki shows Hell on Earth started with #69 in August 2010. So not quite 100 issues but it's halfway there.

Yup, they've made some confusing decisions with the structure/titles of BPRD. They retroactively started calling the pre-HoE BPRD stories "BPRD: Plague of Frogs", even though that was already the name of one of the earliest BPRD arcs. They also started placing emphasis on the overall numbering system for the series (that was always there but never shown on the front cover until the 100th overall BPRD issue). It's definitely unnecessarily complicated.

Recently finished reading Hickman's Fantastic Four run and House of M/Son of M/Silent War (thank you Pai Pai Master) on MU after I came around looking for suggestions.

Absolutely loved the Fantastic Four stuff. Last time I came in craving more cosmic marvel stories and that fit the bill perfectly. I was hooked at the council reveal and it didn't let up 'til the end. Would have loved to have seen more of that Universe built in Dooms image. That last issue was pretty amazing. One of the things I love about cosmic marvel is the way it plays with grand concepts like multi-universal maintenance, shaping, celestial beings and the like all while maintaining that light-hearted adventure feeling. Reading through it, I also realized Venture Bros. draws a lot more direct inspiration from FF than I ever realized. If there's more must read FF, I'd be happy for suggestions.

Silent war was cool too, but didn't leave me totally satisfied. I tried to google what would follow after that, but from what I can tell, the ending with Maximus doesn't get resolved in other comics, and when the inhumans are introduced again around the War of Kings stuff (which I've already read) Black Bolt is king again with no real explanation. If that's wrong I would be interested in reading what comes next.

So does anyone have any more suggestions of things to read on Marvel Unlimited? Their cosmic stuff has been really fun and I'd love more, but I'm open to suggestions on any all time greats.

Just go straight into Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers. It's pretty much just a continuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom