• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Went to the local comic shop to see if their selection got any better.

Not really. Wanted to get Rocket Raccoon #1 but they didn't have it. They had Cyclops #2 but not #1 so I decided not to get it. Found some TMNT issues and was interested based on what has been posted here, but they only had sporadic issues from 8 onwards to 30 or whatever. They had a ton of back issues B2G1 for cheap but it was a disorganized mess that wasn't even close to alphabetized or even grouped by character.

But my gf got Scooby Doo Team Up featuring Wonder Woman so it was a success.

To be fair, you can't expect local shops to have every back issue you want on hand, especially #1s. With that said, an unorganized back issues section is always frustrating to me too.

Finally got caught up with FATALE.

Okay guys, what should I start reading next??

Criminal!

Zombine

Banned
I don't know if I can justify $40 on digital versions of Zero Year. That book looks so fantastic it would almost be like committing a sin buying it digital. I need to feel like I own it.

To be fair, you can't expect local shops to have every back issue you want on hand, especially #1s. With that said, an unorganized back issues section is always frustrating to me too.

I certainly agree with this when it comes to older series and stuff but not Rocket or Cyclops when they just came out?

Kind of disappointing. Oh well.

jupiters-legacy-1-04-millar-quitely.jpg

Just wanted to post some Quitely positivity here. That dude can drawn an incredible action shot and has some pretty flawless scale.

Who is that dude fighting Darkseid?

Cade

I just have to write this post because I am PISSED.

I decided to read two issues of Ultimates 1 before going to bed and in issue #8 I am told that (not really a spoiler - seriously! - but I'm hiding it just to make sure)
World War II was caused by aliens and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki destroyed their training camps. Who came up with this fucking bullshit? It's so disrespectful, so idiotic and ARGH I CANT EXPRESS HOW MUCH I HATE THIS VERY IDEA! What idiot came up with this? How much of an idiot do you have to be to approve this? Seriously, Marvel, Millar, everybody, WHAT THE FLIPPIN FUCK?

Please tell me I'm not alone in this opinion. I'm SO PISSED, those two panels of Fury explaining that are disgusting.

It hurts even more that I loved the hell out of Ultimates: Super-Human. It took me completely by surprise - the edginess and grimminess I was expecting turned out to be a front for a story about deeply wounded and emotionally scarred people put in a public eye as heroes. But this is just bullshit.

Everything Millar is bullshit and offensive in some way or another. If it's not intentionally offensive, his bad writing generally makes it so.

OML and Red Son are the only good things about that guy, and even OML is pushing it.

The only way to read Ultimates is to imagine a Marvel universe where everyone is as stupid and evil as Millar is and it all makes sense

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Only posting this cause it's so slow on Sundays here, but I drew something else: http://i5.minus.com/ilE4lGZ9QOsIj.png

Not as happy with it as that other drawing I posted. I pretty much gave up on trying to get his right arm (the arm on the left) right, so that's kinda wonky.
But yeah. There's the "Kipp's Path to Comics Superstardom" update.

Also since it's slow, now would be a good time to ask. How's Florida treating you?

Zombine

Banned
Man can't you answer seriously?

It's a book called Jupiter's Legacy written by Mark Millar, illustrated by Frank Quitely. It's not DC.

Then I guess I have no excused.

Oh yeah, I also read the first issue of Batmanga. The first few pages are absolutely gorgeous. I'm not so sure if the quality drops in the actual book, but about halfway through the art becomes incredibly blurry. Story is hilarious! I read it like the English dub of Speed Racer in my mind.

Messi

Only posting this cause it's so slow on Sundays here, but I drew something else: http://i5.minus.com/ilE4lGZ9QOsIj.png

Not as happy with it as that other drawing I posted. I pretty much gave up on trying to get his right arm (the arm on the left) right, so that's kinda wonky.
But yeah. There's the "Kipp's Path to Comics Superstardom" update.

Also since it's slow, now would be a good time to ask. How's Florida treating you?

I am absolutely roasted, my fair Irish skin wasn't meant to be exposed to the harsh realities of sunlight.

I am eating so much bad shit, it's truly amazing. I love soda of all types and most places here are stacked with stuff.

Comic shops are wonderful here, my only limit is how much I can carry home.

My sunburn :(((((

Zombine

Banned
I am absolutely roasted, my fair Irish skin wasn't meant to be exposed to the harsh realities of sunlight.

I am eating so much bad shit, it's truly amazing. I love soda of all types and most places here are stacked with stuff.

You're gonna get home and shed your skin like a snake. You'll be a brand new you!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Glad to hear you're having a nice time!

Try putting some aloe vera on that skin. Presumably that helps. All it ever did for me was make my skin sticky. Luckily I haven't been sunburned for quite a while. Although this summer I've stayed perpetually on the brink of sunburns it seems. I feel like I'm going to get skin cancer.

Also, I haven't been to a proper comic shop before... I feel like that makes me a terrible person. Glad to hear you're enjoying them though! :p

Issue 26.

This is a issue that goes back to the day of Bruce's parents death and shows an angle that has never been seen and told before but fits and makes sense. This story shows why their is such distrust in Gordon.

The colors in this issue are just astounding. Greg Capullo's Dr. Death is just perfect. Drawn organic and creepy. It really looks like he is growing.

I just read the first issue of TREES. I found it fascinating and the premise to be pretty damn cool...but a little ambiguous.

Does this series deliver on the promise of the first issue? Does it get better? (I grabbed some random first-issues, in addition to the trade volumes I listed a few posts back, while in Boston based on recommendations, and if I like something I pick it back up via Comixology because I live in Taipei)

EDIT: Never mind. The second issue only just came out.

Issue 27.

So, this begins Riddlers end game. To sum up his cause, I'll quote, "that's the whole point, Batman. Can't you see? Entropy has sped up! The world is dying. The seas are rising, resources are dwindling, the powerful are getting more so. We all feel it. We all know it. The only weapon any of us has against the tide is intelligence. Smarts! So why not speed things up even more, those forces of destruction, and make people get smart. Get smart or die!

I actually sympathize with the Riddler here. Kinda the same commentary "Idocracy" had. The issue had a lot of substance. Showed even more truth behind the day of Bruce's parent murder. It showed Bruce that his ideas and judgements are not always right. This issue you begin to get the feeling the Bruce feels that he needs help from people to endure his crusade. The last 2 issues continued with more Tokoyo Moon teases. I remember at the time thinking these were stupid but it all comes together next issue.

Right on the money man. I believe the basic jist was that editorial were happy to leave joker off the table for the while since they wanted to try some new villians across the various books for the first year, so Tony went right ahead and cut his face off, consequences be damned. I think how Snyder managed to work it into an actual story is admirable, I figured they'd just say he stuck his face in a lazarus pit and came out psychologically unaffected, and be done with it. It probably will be a problem at some point.

I'm almost positive I read somewhere that it was Cappullo's idea and design and Tony just introduced it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm almost positive I read somewhere that it was Cappullo's idea and design and Tony just introduced it.

Did some searching... Capullo says he knew nothing about it.

Going into issue #15 and #16, were there any definitive Joker artists or ways Arkham has been portrayed that influenced or inspired the way your Arkham and Joker look?

Not really so much. Certainly, Scott was inspired by certain stories or what have you, but for me it was a conversation with Scott. Scott said the Joker’s face was cut off. Wow! Ok, I missed that one, what do we do? One of the things he mentioned which was pretty much the only prerequisite is he said, “I want the skin to be stretched really tight so that he’s got the biggest Joker smile that we’ve ever seen.” That was one of the directions he gave me to go on, so I said, “Yeah, alright, we can do that, we’ll have some hooks and stuff we’ll pull it real tight!”

Here's a few bits with Snyder and Daniel talking about the origins.

Is there any truth to the rumor that you gave Tony Daniel the idea to cut off the Joker’s face?

“No. I didn’t give him the idea,” says Snyder, explaining about DC’s New 52 embargo on the Joker and how, “[Daniel] had a few things he could do to take the Joker out of commission. [The face removal] was something that I talked to him about collaboratively with him because it was a really, really powerful thing to pick up in the story I wanted to tell with the Joker, which is this story. We worked together to create this beat that I could pick up on.”

CRAVE ONLINE: When we last Joker, he ripped his face off and put it on a wall. Is this all part of the original plan, or has it gone through changes from what Tony Daniel planned in his Detective Comics run?

SNYDER: No, it was part of it. We collaborated back then, too, to make sure that the Joker story I wanted to do a year later would track off of his ending. DC wanted to put some of the iconic villains away for a little while, which I think was a smart move, to foreground some of the newer villains like the Court of Owls, the Dollmaker and all of that kind of stuff that they were building in each of the books. The idea was to take Joker away for a little bit, and Tony came up with a couple different things, and when we talked about it, this is the one that we both came up with and thought would make the most sense for the story I wanted to tell later on. It was Tony's decision and Tony's creative move, and I want to give full credit to him. If you liked the face coming off, you should thank Tony. There are a couple of things I said would have worked, and he went with the one he liked the best.

Scott told me he had an idea about Joker being unrecognizable to Batman. Where he takes his make up off, and we would get to see Joker’s real face. So I explained my Dollmaker villain and what he does to his victims. I explained he could just remove the Joker’s face. A bit more extreme than the lobotomy idea, certainly. But for some reason DC bought the idea. I explained that we could leave it ambiguous as to whether or not it actually was the Joker’s face or one of the DM’s victims. Wherein I would craft a story where Batman is in search of a faceless man who he believes is the Joker (guided by the face DNA) who also happens to be a serial killer. In fact, an idea I had, was that it wasn’t the Joker’s face in the cell, but actually the Dollmaker’s face. And Batman would follow the trail of bodies and evidence right into the Dollmaker’s lair. But DC really liked that it was actually the Joker’s face in the cell and went in that direction.

IGN Comics: So last year, Tony Daniel took off Joker’s face in Detective Comics #1. How long has Death of the Family been in the works?

Scott Snyder: I’ve had the beginnings of the idea for a Joker story like this since before the New 52, and then it really came together later on. What happened was DC said they wanted to take Joker away and take some of the classic villains off the table a little bit so there could be room for these new villains in Batman that have been exciting to work with. So I knew that in Detective they were going to take Joker away for a while, and Tony had a couple of different ideas about how to do that. I talked to him about it and began to think about the kind of story I’d eventually want to tell, and [Tony] had a couple of different options; any of them would’ve really worked. But this one I thought would tail perfectly into this, so he really wanted to go with the taking the face off one. It was cool with me, so he did that, and then about six months ago I started talking with Peter Tomasi about a story we could do to bring the Joker back.

Basically, sounds like it was DC and Daniel's idea, and Snyder was consulted since he was the main Batman writer and had plans on bringing Joker back later on, so he was in a position to give the specifics his blessing.

Cade

holy cow guys

seven soldiers is the real deal

been too long since I read something by Morrison and I feel like i've been bathed in the purifying light of our scottish savior

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
holy cow guys

seven soldiers is the real deal

been too long since I read something by Morrison and I feel like i've been bathed in the purifying light of our scottish savior

Yes it fucking is. The Klarion issues are phenomenal, and overall, Seven Soldiers is my favorite event book.

Vyer

Y'all didn't know bout Zero Year digital? Messi speaks true
this time.

Still gonna get the trade for the bookshelf when the time comes.

In regards to The Punisher, what are some recommended books?

Punisher MAX - Every issue written by Garth Ennis (Issues 1-60, Born, The Tyger, The Cell), Jason Aaron (Four Arcs), and if you like it, then Gregg Hurwitz, Duane Swierczynski, and Victor Gischler (each wrote one arc)

Punisher: Circle of Blood

Punisher and Punisher War Zone by Greg Rucka

If you can find it, Suicide Run. It was a storyline in the 90s. So good.

If you're up for something really weird and off-the-wall, read Rick Remender's run. Frank dies and gets turned into a Frankenstein monster. I loved it.

Avoid Matt Fraction's run. It's not very good. Good ideas, terrible execution.

If you can, read the current run by Nathan Edmondson. It's fantastic and a nice tweak on the classic Punisher characterization. Much more accessible.

Cade

Yes it fucking is. The Klarion issues are phenomenal, and overall, Seven Soldiers is my favorite event book.

yup, I just hit the first Klarion issue and that's why i had to preach about it

irving's art too godDAMN I could look at that man drawing pilgrim hats all day yo

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
yup, I just hit the first Klarion issue and that's why i had to preach about it

irving's art too godDAMN I could look at that man drawing pilgrim hats all day yo

I can't get enough Irving art, (don't read if you haven't finished Seven Soldiers)
especially when he's handling stories about subway Puritans
. His issue of Return of Bruce Wayne is dope as well, and also involves Puritans.

Batwoman #33: Or, where Jeremy Haun stops giving a fuck and phones it in for his last issue. Good lord, some of this line work is just piss poor.

Messi

Batwoman #33: Or, where Jeremy Haun stops giving a fuck and phones it in for his last issue. Good lord, some of this line work is just piss poor.

That looked like art from two different people. Tell me it's two different people. I was talking about it here yesterday. The art at the beginning and the end was usual Batwoman stuff, the middle stuff is like a car crash.

Vyer

Regarding Zero Year, I also hope people picked up Detective #25. It's a ZY tie in that focuses on Gordon written by John Layman. I really dug it, and it's got a cool ending. I wasn't really reading Detective at the time, so I don't know how the rest of Layman's run went.

Cheska

Been having a busy weekend, and the next two weeks are going to be chaotic, but wanted to pop in and say how awesome Bii's pick ups were! Let me know how those Kotobukiya statues are :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom