• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I think Tochinni is just one of those artists that draws a lot of faces that are pretty similar from one to the next. I mean, look at Low. I totally thought Della was Stel at first until I realized that this was a completely different place with a new set of characters.

I flicked through the first few pages of the new issue in the store today (only one issue is out of the new arc?) and I really love the direction they are going with Della.

...If you know what I mean...

tumblr_npgx2eB7pH1t6co4io7_500.gif

I flicked through the first few pages of the new issue in the store today (only one issue is out of the new arc?) and I really love the direction they are going with Della.

Same. They're obviously going to have her meet up with Stel and the kids at some point.

Messi

I really liked the new setting in the last issue. It was a nice change-up. And there was also a Rafael Albuquerque variant for it:

That is the cover of the issue I picked up. They only had one. Shit I didnt know it was Albuquerque. I knew it seemed familiar.

I got Erica Hendersons Secret Wars variant for cover price today. I was very happy. I also got myself Harley and Gamora's dorbz, which are totally adorable. Ill probably end up with Batgirl, Ivy, Catwoman and Nebula if I can find them.

That is the cover of the issue I picked up. They only had one. Shit I didnt know it was Albuquerque. I knew it seemed familiar.

I got Erica Hendersons Secret Wars variant for cover price today. I was very happy. I also got myself Harley and Gamora's dorbz, which are totally adorable. Ill probably end up with Batgirl, Ivy, Catwoman and Nebula if I can find them.

Yeah, I got the Henderson variant of SW as well. As for Dorbz, I haven't seen Ivy or Catwoman at retail yet, but I've seen most of the others. Harley came out great. Can't wait until they get more of the Marvel ones out.

Messi

Yeah, I got the Henderson variant of SW as well. As for Dorbz, I haven't seen Ivy or Catwoman at retail yet, but I've seen most of the others. Harley came out great. Can't wait until they get more of the Marvel ones out.

I've actually seen all of them except Scarecrow, Ivy and Catwoman. Only seen one Batgirl though. We don't have dorbz in ireland so I really hope they come out soon here or ill be left with 1/3rd of the sirens. I like the quality of the dorbz more than the pop imo. Less parts to fuck up on paint. They are smaller too but have the same effect as pops.

like...come on.

FU5948lg.jpg

FU5954lg.jpg

Messi

Are Dorbz made by Funko as well? I've seen it mentioned online, but I didn't see the Funko name anywhere on the package.

Yep, its one of the sub brands. Like Vinyl Idols (those large creepy sirens figures)

They arent even listed on the funko site. But the vinyl sugar site and dorbz site both have customer service emails that are @funko.com

odd.

Messi

Lady Killer. Looks interesting:

Is it good?

Absolutely, yes. Plus they are doing a second volume.

==

This is on the dorbz page (btw both sites them and funko are the same layout)

Vinyl Sugar is the illegitimate love child between Funko and some of the best free-wheeling designers from the back streets of London, the boutiques of Harajuku and the galleries of NYC. Vinyl Sugar – because you crave it!

Absolutely, yes. Plus they are doing a second volume.

I'll definitely be checking out Lady Killer once the trade drops. I think this is going to be the new Dark Horse format going foward - having each story arc as a self-contained mini. It makes sense, as they can pull the plug when sales drop too low without leaving a story unfinished. They don't have the kind of commitment to a series that an ongoing requires.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'll definitely be checking out Lady Killer once the trade drops. I think this is going to be the new Dark Horse format going foward - having each story arc as a self-contained mini. It makes sense, as they can pull the plug when sales drop too low without leaving a story unfinished. They don't have the kind of commitment to a series that an ongoing requires.

nice ava

ElNarez

Banned
My take away from that is the fact that they'll be doing a Milestone Universe. That means they either still have the rights? (which I thought they didn't) or worked out a deal. Either way it's cool to see.

It's a new deal, Cowan and Hudlin are working on books with Lee and Johns, and Priest is also in the plans.

Goddamn DC is so bad about putting up digital trades of not-current series. Even stuff from like 2004 is only single issues on Comixology

Get it together, DC

There's more there, plans seem to be 2 OGNs a year, plus one-shots and minis, which seems like a smart way to do it.
Now that's a freakin comic con. Hope they release the old stuff too, that shit is classic and will sell,

Brahs I'm absolutely miserable right now. Fever, I think I pulled my back, soma pills no work, sensation that I have to pee but don't, gas pains and to top it all off I just vomited, feed me pizza?

Li Kao

Welp, I tried to set up a pull list yesterday and it's safe to say things have gone poorly. I never realized how prices going up from 1.5/2 to 3.5/4 would change the deal so much.
I guess there is Marvel Unlimited and that you have to live by comixology sales.

I mean, even without OCD, there is a hugeee number of interesting titles from a hugeee number of publishers. But 4$ a pop annihilate my budget pretty quickly.
Ah, the early days of DCBS when you ordered comics like candy bars...

Quite ironic that I was initially very interested in DC new #1 but when all is said and done I surely never will be able to budget them.

On a related note, is it me or is the TPB side of comixology a mess, presentation wise ? If I can't buy every singles I want I would at least like to be able to clearly see what collected editions are new or not.

Oh, and the Criminal Macabre Omnibus vol. 1 I picked up doesn't seem to present the stories in publication order. I'm not amused.

Welp, I tried to set up a pull list yesterday and it's safe to say things have gone poorly. I never realized how prices going up from 1.5/2 to 3.5/4 would change the deal so much.
I guess there is Marvel Unlimited and that you have to live by comixology sales.

I mean, even without OCD, there is a hugeee number of interesting titles from a hugeee number of publishers. But 4$ a pop annihilate my budget pretty quickly.
Ah, the early days of DCBS when you ordered comics like candy bars...

Quite ironic that I was initially very interested in DC new #1 but when all is said and done I surely never will be able to budget them.

On a related note, is it me or is the TPB side of comixology a mess, presentation wise ? If I can't buy every singles I want I would at least like to be able to clearly see what collected editions are new or not.

Oh, and the Criminal Macabre Omnibus vol. 1 I picked up doesn't seem to present the stories in publication order. I'm not amused.

If you're struggling on the budget front, collected editions are cheaper 99% of the time, so sometimes it's worth the wait. $4 an issue is ridiculous when I can pick up the trade with 5 issues down the line for $8. Even so, I know people have trouble justifying the cost of comics, so even after trade waiting many people fall back on CMX sales. It's a pricey hobby; I almost feel like I put myself through school just to be able to make the money to buy all this shit. lol

Anywho, I always thought CMX was pretty straightforward. Any series in particular someone here could help you sort out the order of?

Hey ComicGAF, I've got a question (for the big Batman fans/readers):

I just started reading the "first volume" of Grant Morrison's BATMAN AND SON.

I'm just wondering, what collected trade volumes should I read that precede this story, and what should I be reading after?

Thanks in advance.

tim1138

Been editing my comic the last few days. Realized I don't have an image for part 3. Work in progress for the cover of the 3rd chapter

Freeza, get my list, will ya?

also Freeza, your current avatar is amazing

That cover image looks great man.

Back to Winter Soldier, I never said I didn't like it, it was always going to be a hard sell because I have never liked Cap as a character. I wish they would have explored the rise of the global police state stuff more and used it less as a Machiavellian plot point to make sure everyone knows Hydra and Pierce are the bad guys. The Falcon bits were cool and he was wholly underutilized. But at the end I just can't care about the struggles of Steve Rogers in the modern age. So like I said, entertaining movie, but not my favorite.

How much of the fallout (if any) of the SHIELD stuff gets carried over into Age of Ultron?

I'm just wondering, what collected trade volumes should I read that precede this story, and what should I be reading after?

Thanks in advance.

http://comicsastonish.com/2012/01/04/a-readers-guide-to-grant-morrisons-batman/

You're good skipping the 52 stuff, Batman & Son is a good place to start. If you bought the new edition trade, you'll have Black Glove covered as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im finally watching Man of Steel, its even more grimdark than I expected. I didnt read much Superman in my life, but this isnt the Superman I remember

The editing is all over the place (the quick cut from him hitchhiking to all of a sudden he's in the chopper with Lois heading to the spaceship...wtf?). Also the hurricane scene is just as ridiculous as people said it was. Maybe it gets better after this.

And even tho im a known Marvel fanboy, I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight for reference, and I love the DC tv shows (even if Arrow season 3 was shit)

Li Kao

If you're struggling on the budget front, collected editions are cheaper 99% of the time, so sometimes it's worth the wait. $4 an issue is ridiculous when I can pick up the trade with 5 issues down the line for $8. Even so, I know people have trouble justifying the cost of comics, so even after trade waiting many people fall back on CMX sales. It's a pricey hobby; I almost feel like I put myself through school just to be able to make the money to buy all this shit. lol

Anywho, I always thought CMX was pretty straightforward. Any series in particular someone here could help you sort out the order of?

Thanks for your reply !
Nothing particular in mind, I just feel CMX doesn't do as good a job with collected editions as with singles. Maybe it's me. I regret that there isn't a new TPB "line" like the new singles one for examples.

The pull list thing is strange. There is a personal issue as I already explained several time, my inability to sort out the millions titles that interest me. But really, looking at the prices these days I'm left wondering if there hasn't been a paradigm shift while I was away. Like we transitioned from a "relatively" cheap hobby (it wasn't) to a premium one where every issue counts. It wasn't that way.
And to add insult to injury I have no desire to re-enter the physical order dance with the two months advance purchases etc. Which leaves me with... mhh... zero discounts ? ^_^
I mean, I even saw some Vertigo TPB pricier than their singles counterparts, crazy.

I'm not sure I can fight back my OCD enough to adopt this new comic book world. Speaking about following some titles on a regular basis, buying and reading TPB is another topic. I know it's stupid but when your prices force me to delete 90% of my pull list, I kind of lose the desire to have a pull list in the first place.

I need an ex-comic book reader psychiatrist (' T_T)

Thanks in advance.

This reading order works:

http://readgrantmorrisonsbatman.tumblr.com/post/57372791683/reading-order

You don't have to read any preceding works. However the following can give a bit more context:

1. About 4 pages in all of 52 concerning Batman. 52 is awesome (and has a great sale right now on Comixology so you can get it super cheap) but don't read it just for the Batman stuff. Still, 52 is great and worth your time.

2. The Black Casebook- A trade containing some of the old Batman stories that inspired Morrision's run. These are mainly '60s era Batman stories and are dramatically different than modern day Bats so it's hard to make a blind recommendation.

3. Dark Knight, Dark City. 4 issues of a late '80s/early '90s Batman story that provides some background for some later events in Morrison's run. Definitely worth a read. It's out in Trade now and also cheap on Comixology.

My trade has the red cover. I bought it last summer, if I remember correctly. Is that the one?

Yeah, you're good.

tim1138

Thanks in advance.

You don't need to read anything prior, but I would highly recommend reading the Black Casebook collection that Morrison put together. It contains the Silver Age stories and ideas he mined the most for his run.
The reading order depends on which volume of Batman and Son you have, if it's the original than next is the Black Glove, if it's the new edition then next is RIP. Either way it looks like this:

Batman and Son
The Black Glove
RIP
Final Crisis (optional if all you care about is Batman)
Batman and Robin volume 1: Batman Reborn
Batman and Robin volume 2: Batman vs Robin
Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin volume 3: Batman and Robin Must Die
Batman Incorporated
Batman Incorporated volume 1: Demon Star
Batman Incorporated volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted

And there you have it, the best Batman run of all time.

Thanks for your reply !
Nothing particular in mind, I just feel CMX doesn't do as good a job with collected editions as with singles. Maybe it's me. I regret that there isn't a new TPB "line" like the new singles one for examples.

The pull list thing is strange. There is a personal issue as I already explained several time, my inability to sort out the millions titles that interest me. But really, looking at the prices these days I'm left wondering if there hasn't been a paradigm shift while I was away. Like we transitioned from a "relatively" cheap hobby (it wasn't) to a premium one where every issue counts. It wasn't that way.
And to add insult to injury I have no desire to re-enter the physical order dance with the two months advance purchases etc. Which leaves me with... mhh... zero discounts ? ^_^
I mean, I even saw some Vertigo TPB pricier than their singles counterparts, crazy.

I'm not sure I can fight back my OCD enough to adopt this new comic book world. Speaking about following some titles on a regular basis, buying and reading TPB is another topic. I know it's stupid but when your prices force me to delete 90% of my pull list, I kind of lose the desire to have a pull list in the first place.

I need an ex-comic book reader psychiatrist (' T_T)

Yeah, I'm not sure what to tell you. I got into comics again about 4 years ago and I guess picking up the new lay of the land took a bit of time. You gotta learn to sort through the stuff, see what's the best way to purchase things (not always the cheapest; you may want to spring for items more geared towards collectors depending on how much you enjoy things), what the collected editions contain what issues, etc.

And honestly, if it's physical singles, I don't have the patience nor the physical space for that. It's something I stay away from completely. I'm not into variants and the like, but that's just me. I think you need to figure out what kind of collector/reader you want to be as you go along.

My trade has the red cover. I bought it last summer, if I remember correctly. Is that the one?

Yep, you're good. Red one has the Black Glove as well. You can go straight to Batman RIP straight after.

Li Kao

Yeah, I'm not sure what to tell you. I got into comics again about 4 years ago and I guess picking up the new lay of the land took a bit of time. You gotta learn to sort through the stuff, see what's the best way to purchase things (not always the cheapest; you may want to spring for items more geared towards collectors depending on how much you enjoy things), what the collected editions contain what issues, etc.

And honestly, if it's physical singles, I don't have the patience nor the physical space for that. It's something I stay away from completely. I'm not into variants and the like, but that's just me. I think you need to figure out what kind of collector/reader you want to be as you go along.

Yeah, to be honest this is an issue that was there way back then. Prices going ballistic is just the icing on the cake.
I was a typical comic reader, big three publishers, recent issues. Then I got a taste of that sweet back issue cool aid. Then there were more and more publishers offering interesting things. It all goes downhill from there.
But I insist, 4$ a pop is plain insane.

Thanks for bearing with me though, it's nice to have a sympathetic ear to speak to.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Are you insulting my avatar heritage m8

sorry bruh, i dunno what's going in in yer av

Im finally watching Man of Steel, its even more grimdark than I expected. I didnt read much Superman in my life, but this isnt the Superman I remember

The editing is all over the place (the quick cut from him hitchhiking to all of a sudden he's in the chopper with Lois heading to the spaceship...wtf?). Also the hurricane scene is just as ridiculous as people said it was. Maybe it gets better after this.

And even tho im a known Marvel fanboy, I loved Batman Begins and Dark Knight for reference, and I love the DC tv shows (even if Arrow season 3 was shit)

MoS was real bad imo but at least BvS is shaping up much nicer

Hurricane in Kansas?! Climate change confirmed!

Zombine

Banned
I'm paying about $20 a week just in Marvel books, and that's actually $60+ dollars worth of books (about 15 comics weekly), that's not counting random sales, IST, and DC/Image/Whatever. Not only do I respect those that are "behind" or trade waiting or whatever, but I think it's the smartest way to approach the hobby.

Nerds in general seem to be the easiest demographic for companies to pray on. Hire them cheap and hire a lot of them to produce your content, and then rely on nerds to feel some sort of obligation to buy everything ever to support the industry (Be it games/comics/ect) when in reality companies should be coming up with ways to retain readership and talent in more creative ways that don't bankrupt everyone involved.

sorry bruh, i dunno what's going in in yer av

izombie-panel-1024x544.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Superman's chest hair is really distracting lol. I like him as Superman tho, and still love every shot of him just floating in the air. Like Lois too

Yeah, to be honest this is an issue that was there way back then. Prices going ballistic is just the icing on the cake.
I was a typical comic reader, big three publishers, recent issues. Then I got a taste of that sweet back issue cool aid. Then there were more and more publishers offering interesting things. It all goes downhill from there.
But I insist, 4$ a pop is plain insane.

Thanks for bearing with me though, it's nice to have a sympathetic ear to speak to.

It really is, especially when you consider a lot of the time for the major publishes, digital is the same price as print. It's something I don't agree with at all, so I rarely support it.

Man of Steel had some cool fight scenes tho. It was like live action DBZ.

And did anyone get Morrison's Humble Bundle? I'm kinda interested in Avatarex but I don't know what all this other stuff is.

Li Kao

To delve further on my inability to select comics (I promise I will stop boring your hears off with that in a sec).

When Civil War hit, I was reading 100+ comic books a month (don't remember the exact number) and payed 100-150$ monthly.
Now I tried to do a pull list for August and after cutting down too much for my taste I get 32 comics for 130$.

I still can't get over it. But I guess it's perfectly logical given the price increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom