• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To delve further on my inability to select comics (I promise I will stop boring your hears off with that in a sec).

When Civil War hit, I was reading 100+ comic books a month (don't remember the exact number) and payed 100-150$ monthly.
Now I tried to do a pull list for August and after cutting down too much for my taste I get 32 comics for 130$.

I still can't get over it. But I guess it's perfectly logical given the price increase.

See, what you should do is scrap all that and just buy Valiant books. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You have no idea

image.php

I've actually seen all of them except Scarecrow, Ivy and Catwoman. Only seen one Batgirl though. We don't have dorbz in ireland so I really hope they come out soon here or ill be left with 1/3rd of the sirens. I like the quality of the dorbz more than the pop imo. Less parts to fuck up on paint. They are smaller too but have the same effect as pops.

like...come on.

FU5948lg.jpg

FU5954lg.jpg

I got the Ultron Dorbz from the first MCC box. That's enough Dorbz for me.

Li Kao

See, what you should do is scrap all that and just buy Valiant books. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Valiant is one of the big new players that picked my interest indeed. Never heard bad things about them and I totally plan to read them... err, looking at my list, planned.
Fuck.

Valiant is one of the big new players that picked my interest indeed. Never heard bad things about them and I totally plan to read them... err, looking at my list, planned.
Fuck.

An interesting read on the revival of Valiant. From the big 2, I mostly dig their low key solo books. Valiant is the label that really gets me excited with their events and all the crazy stuff they've got going on. I highly recommend looking into them; they put Marvel/DC's gimmicks to shame.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Your just not into zombies which is perfectly normal btw.

i like Allred and Afterlife with Archie

i think it's just a bad choice of pics of the iZombie protag

Fuck.

Valiant is really, really good and super refreshing as far as cape books go

i recommend checking out the first 3 trades of X-O to see if it's something that you might like

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just solved my first Riddler quest. Ignored them so far because I thought they were only races but it was a riddle room with Batmobil.
Quiete good.

My plan from now is ignore the Main Quest and solve as many sidequests as possible. I really hate how this games really requiered 100% for the true ending.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why...why is Superman plowing through gas stations and convinience stores with this badguy? :(

Winter Soldier is the best Marvel movie and it was the hope that, for a brief moment, the MCU would get to a better, smarter place. Especially loved how it recontextualized the iffier elements of Avengers 1 and basically said "yeah all that kinda fascistic stuff with the interventionism and mass surveillance networks? the work of actual fascists, let's blow it the fuck up and build something better"

Then GotG and Avengers 2 happened and haha nope, you're getting the same ol' dumb shit, owned.

Well, Russos are directing Infinity War so expect it to be more like TWS and CW instead of Whedon.

So who's this Ales Kot fella? He any good?

I feel like this needs to be a running gag lol

But seriously, I haven't read him, but I'm very interesting because he's on Dead Drop for Valiant. I should read Zero, shouldn't I?

Owzers

my comic reading strategy:

DCBS: 10-15 issues, whatever i want to read the most along with 50% off Image trades. Digital would replace this if it weren't so expensive. Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, Marvel Events i don't want to wait for MU with, Marvel that I'll want a digital copy of in my personal "until comixology burns and i lose everything" collection. I tend to sell the floppy and keep the digital later.

MU: Everything else from Marvel where i'm not super excited for and can't wait. If it weren't for digital codes in print issues i'd probably wait for all Marvel to hit MU and just buy trades for Image.

CMX/digital: Sales only. The dark horse app had twice yearly 50% off sales so I don't buy print issues of anything outside of Hellboy in Hell.

Humble bundles: whenever they come out, if i'm interested. That Locke and Key one was great along with the huge Valiant collection one that i haven't read yet.

IST orders: Image trades and the occasional OHC from something i've read and think it's worth buying.

Statues: Are a mistake.

DC: Is dead to me.

Tizoc

Man of Steel had some cool fight scenes tho. It was like live action DBZ.

And did anyone get Morrison's Humble Bundle? I'm kinda interested in Avatarex but I don't know what all this other stuff is.

Comics based on Indian mythology and lore.
If you are interested in stories about that, get them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Woooo! SDCC day!
My best guess is that the only thing I'll pay for all day is my train ticket.

Li Kao

DCBS: 10-15 issues, whatever i want to read the most along with 50% off Image trades. Digital would replace this if it weren't so expensive. Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, Marvel Events i don't want to wait for MU with, Marvel that I'll want a digital copy of in my personal "until comixology burns and i lose everything" collection. I tend to sell the floppy and keep the digital later.

MU: Everything else from Marvel where i'm not super excited for and can't wait. If it weren't for digital codes in print issues i'd probably wait for all Marvel to hit MU and just buy trades for Image.

CMX/digital: Sales only. The dark horse app had twice yearly 50% off sales so I don't buy print issues of anything outside of Hellboy in Hell.

Humble bundles: whenever they come out, if i'm interested. That Locke and Key one was great along with the huge Valiant collection one that i haven't read yet.

IST orders: Image trades and the occasional OHC from something i've read and think it's worth buying.

Statues: Are a mistake.

DC: Is dead to me.

Hey, I love you and this post. I can't get enough of how people consume their comics.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why are soldiers shooting at "the blue guy" when he is CLEARLY FIGHTING THE BAD GUYS

Busaiku

Do you need someone to give you a pep talk on dropping titles? It's hard but trade waiting will make your wallet love you. If that is per month of what your paying you may need an intervention.
It's just for Secret Wars, since I'm getting everything.
After that, I'll probably be at $150 or less including variants.

October can't come soon enough.

Messi

Woooo! SDCC day!
My best guess is that the only thing I'll pay for all day is my train ticket.

disgusted-gif.gif

Have a great day man. Tell the gaffers I said hi and that it's OK not to talk about me all the time.

i'm culling my IG account, getting rid of random fb ppl and adding some comic artists

who does everyone follow? along with the god-tier James Jean & Fiona Staples, i have:

not my fault zomb even has bad taste in good art 😛

He owns the page it's from. Be nice :(

i'm culling my IG account, getting rid of random fb ppl and adding some comic artists

who does everyone follow? along with the god-tier James Jean & Fiona Staples, i have:

not my fault zomb even has bad taste in good art 😛
Hmm I got
Dave Baker
Dave Marquez
Kristian Donaldson
Leslie Hung
Olympia Maxench - a gaffer
Rob Liefeld

Im not horribly active on instagram. I need more myself.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Have a great day man. Tell the gaffers I said hi and that it's OK not to talk about me all the time.

Thanks!
And man, we won't be able to help it. You're the only thing worth talking about. Comics certainly aren't worth talking about. :D

Martha Washington - State of the Art: It is fascinating how frequently this story repeats in war books/comics/games.
Soldiers from opposite side just sit and wait on which side comes to the rescue first.
Just recently, I read a similar bit in It Was The War Of The Trenches. And there was a very similar quest in Witcher 3 too.

Martha Washington - Insubordination: It's funny. If I had read this story even just 6 months ago, I wouldn't have gotten the allegory at all. But I recently read Comic Book History of Comics and have been following the Kirby family's lawsuit in the news and that makes this short so much more.
The line "I feel like a vampire" and the broken vial on the last page...

Martha Washington - Who is John Galt Goes to War: That was a bit weird. The narrative had an abrupt shift from the world being fucked up due to some megalomaniacs trying to grab power to suddenly highlighting the "incompetent/lazy/apathetic" general population who don't and won't work. Miller/Gibbons were understating it when they mentioned they owed a creative debt to Rand.

Also interesting are Gibbon's notes on the evolving tools of the artist and some early attempts at digital backgrounds.

My strategy.

When I hear about a series (either on ComicsGAF or elsewhere),

MU - If Marvel, look on MU.

Comixology - Check if there is a free #1 issue.

Library - Then check my library's online catalog.

If I read the comic and like what I see, track down an omnibus/hardcover.

If I don't find it, I just look for some other comic to read.

Hey, I love you and this post. I can't get enough of how people consume their comics.
For me:

Most of marvel: Marvel Unlimited

For great marvel series: TPBs, OHC and Omnis usually from half price books or instocktrades or used amazon

Vertigo: vertigo is dead. Nothing new. I have nearly all the classics except for scalped.

DC: wait to hear what's good from here and a couple of other places. Buy the series 5 years later or maybe never. Sometimes digital.

Image: occasionally buy first floppy, buy trades from instocktrades from well regarded or hyped series. Buy OHCs if I find a good price

Owzers

only downside of my strategy is waiting for dcbs orders to arrive....and avoiding spoilers in the meantime. comics-gaf probably ruined Secret Wars #4 for me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom