• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hesitant to recommend the game to people who don't like Borderlands. I mean, it's still the Borderlands setting and style, with some of the same characters.

It really depends on the reason for disliking Borderlands. If it's that the original games are basically just an FPS version of Diablo III, then yeah, I'd still recommend the TellTale game. But if it's the setting that's the issue, then obviously it's not a good fit.

It really depends on the reason for disliking Borderlands. If it's that the original games are basically just an FPS version of Diablo III, then yeah, I'd still recommend the TellTale game. But if it's the setting that's the issue, then obviously it's not a good fit.
No, it's more to do with the gameplay really. I found Borderlands' setting dull but it was a lot more varied in B2.

Finally reading Umbrella Academy more and this is pretty fucking rad. Whoever said that Gerard Way of all people is probably the closest to Morrison isn't too far off from what I've seen. The cast is so weird and I can definitely see some Doom Patrol in it. Wasn't so sure at first but the timeskip really got me more interested for sure.

Love Ba's artwork as usual as well. He's got such a cool and stylish look to his interiors. I really enjoyed his work on Casanova and after I read this (and finish the Hellboy book I've been working on) I definitely need to return to that.

Umbrella Academy is so rad. I liked it so much I bought the Limited Edition Hardcovers of both volumes, though the first was far better.

15621.jpg

Pretty much. I can't stand the mechanics BL employs, and that is goes quadruple for single player, but the world is interesting enough, especially after they picked up that Burch dude as a writer.

Umbrella Academy is so rad. I liked it so much I bought the Limited Edition Hardcovers of both volumes, though the first was far better.

Looks pretty hot. I got both volumes on CMX for like $11 so I'm pretty pleased about that.

Kinda want to grab some more DH stuff since they have that great sale going on but I dunno what. I got Empowered previously, I'm doing Mignolaverse physically, and I got this. Think I might go for Grendel but I just need that extra push.

Pretty much. I can't stand the mechanics BL employs, and that is goes quadruple for single player, but the world is interesting enough, especially after they picked up that Burch dude as a writer.

I can certainly empathize. While I played a great deal of Diablo and Borderlands games, the complete reliance on luck when it comes to getting good loot from the random enemy drops makes the whole thing into too much of a grind to be enjoyable for very long.

I can certainly empathize. While I played a great deal of Diablo and Borderlands games, the complete reliance on luck when it comes to getting good loot from the random enemy drops makes the whole thing into too much of a grind to be enjoyable for very long.

I enjoyed the first game and loved the second, but The Pre-Sequel came out waaaaaaaay too early for me.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well I was looking forward to Secret Wars Siege but after seeing the art I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order on that one.

Neoxon

We have news from the Marvel Animation panel at SDCC 2015.
  • Avengers Assemble has plenty left in its second season before launching the Ultron Revolution, including the return of the Squadron Supreme and the big showdown with Thanos. They also saw a few clips of Ultron Revolution, including the debuts of Ant-Man (in full movie costume), Doctor Strange, and early looks at Black Panther, Captain Marvel, The Vision, Kang, Baron Zemo, and sketches of the Inhumans.
  • While Black Panther and Ms. Marvel will maintain their latest comic iterations of their costumes, Captain Marvel's outfit will be an updated take on Jamie McKelvie's iconic redesign. "We've got to make every season bigger than the one before," Lane said in the video.
  • Speaking of Inhumans, the Kamala Khan’s Ms. Marvel will be joining the fray at some point, as Marvel looks to beef up the profile of the Inhumans and their royal family overall. It all dovetails into a major Civil War event, which features heroes and villains alike squaring off.
  • Clips from the upcoming season included a redesigned Ultron facing off against Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow fighting Kang’s robots from the future, and plenty of good Ant-Man action.
  • As to Ultimate Spider-Man, Season 3 will conclude with an epic “Contest of Champions” arc, which itself was thought to be a series finale before the Sinister 6 renewal. An insired and lengthy clip saw Iron Man, Hulk and Spider-Man pitted against Molten Man, Kraven the Hunter and Wendigo, all orchestrated by The Collector and his brother the Grand Master. Kraven vs. Hulk isn’t something you’d expect to see onscreen necessarily, but could be one of the more interesting Hulk fights we’ve seen.
  • Moving into Ultimate Spider-Man Vs. Sinister 6, Doc Ock organizes the villains to finally capitalize on his hatred of Spider-Man, with some exciting guests. Not only will Mark Hamill return as Arnim Zola, but so too will Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. stars Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain de Caestecker bring Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz to the series!
  • People at the panel got to screen the entirety of the Guardians of the Galaxy pilot next, for which Screen Crush saved most spoilers, but rest assured that the spirit of the movie is intact. Tunes, team dynamics, and some seriously stellar visuals, nailing every detail from Baby Groot to the appearance of Peter Quill’s broker at Knowhere. James Arnold Taylor is a particular highlight as both Yondu and telepathic pooch Cosmo, both weaving in and out of a plot that sees the team investigating a mysterious “Cosmic Seed” and its connection to Quill’s past.
  • Panelists Stephen Wacker, Eric Radomski and Cort Lane joked that eight episodes into production had left them with some hilarious vocal outtakes, though none they could share with the panel, given their vulgarity.
  • The fan Q&A saw a tiny Ms. Marvel adored by the crowd to the point of being brought up onstage as a panelist. Asked if she was scared of Ultron in the movie, she gave a cool “nope.”
  • Finally, Wacker also confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy would take the place of Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. on the production schedule. So yes, Hulk & the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is officially cancelled.

Martha Washington - Saves the World:
The title seems a bit of a misnomer when the ending was a Deus Ex Machina in the original sense.
I enjoyed the story, but not as much as Give me Liberty or Goes to War.

Martha Washington - Dies: A great end to a great comic. The last few double page spreads were beautiful.

Loved the series. Only negative would be one or two places where Miller was a little less than subtle with his Rand influences. The bit about
the end of Wasserstein and Martha's relationship felt like something straight out of The Fountainhead.

Also, the collected edition is brilliant. The size does justice to Gibbons' art and the extras and Gibbons' constant notes were very nice. It is easy to find on eBay for less than MSRP. If you like the series, definitely try to get one of these.

Here's a good picture review of the collected edition. (The blog has lots of nice reviews)

http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot.com/2012/06/life-and-times-of-martha-washington-in.html

We have news from the Marvel Animation panel at SDCC 2015.
  • Avengers Assemble has plenty left in its second season before launching the Ultron Revolution, including the return of the Squadron Supreme and the big showdown with Thanos. They also saw a few clips of Ultron Revolution, including the debuts of Ant-Man (in full movie costume), Doctor Strange, and early looks at Black Panther, Captain Marvel, The Vision, Kang, Baron Zemo, and sketches of the Inhumans.
  • Speaking of Inhumans, the Kamala Khan’s Ms. Marvel will be joining the fray at some point, as Marvel looks to beef up the profile of the Inhumans and their royal family overall. It all dovetails into a major Civil War event, which features heroes and villains alike squaring off.
  • Clips from the upcoming season included a redesigned Ultron facing off against Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow fighting Kang’s robots from the future, and plenty of good Ant-Man action.
  • As to Ultimate Spider-Man, Season 3 will conclude with an epic “Contest of Champions” arc, which itself was thought to be a series finale before the Sinister 6 renewal. An insired and lengthy clip saw Iron Man, Hulk and Spider-Man pitted against Molten Man, Kraven the Hunter and Wendigo, all orchestrated by The Collector and his brother the Grand Master. Kraven vs. Hulk isn’t something you’d expect to see onscreen necessarily, but could be one of the more interesting Hulk fights we’ve seen.
  • Moving into Ultimate Spider-Man Vs. Sinister 6, Doc Ock organizes the villains to finally capitalize on his hatred of Spider-Man, with some exciting guests. Not only will Mark Hamill return as Arnim Zola, but so too will Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. stars Elizabeth Henstridge and Iain de Caestecker bring Jemma Simmons and Leo Fitz to the series!
  • People at the panel got to screen the entirety of the Guardians of the Galaxy pilot next, for which Screen Crush saved most spoilers, but rest assured that the spirit of the movie is intact. Tunes, team dynamics, and some seriously stellar visuals, nailing every detail from Baby Groot to the appearance of Peter Quill’s broker at Knowhere. James Arnold Taylor is a particular highlight as both Yondu and telepathic pooch Cosmo, both weaving in and out of a plot that sees the team investigating a mysterious “Cosmic Seed” and its connection to Quill’s past.
  • Panelists Stephen Wacker, Eric Radomski and Cort Lane joked that eight episodes into production had left them with some hilarious vocal outtakes, though none they could share with the panel, given their vulgarity.
  • The fan Q&A saw a tiny Ms. Marvel adored by the crowd to the point of being brought up onstage as a panelist. Asked if she was scared of Ultron in the movie, she gave a cool “nope.”
  • Finally, Wacker also confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy would take the place of Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. on the production schedule. So yes, Hulk & the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is officially cancelled.
No way to get excited about any of that. Burn it all to the ground a start over. Come back strong with some Rebels inspired visual.s

Neoxon

No way to get excited about any of that. Burn it all to the ground a start over. Come back strong with some Rebels inspired visual.s
I'm not sure if going CGI would be the way to go for Marvel. Though if nothing else, Wacker is making an attempt to salvage the animated universe.

So real question: did the mainline Batman and Superman comics from the early/mid-2000s really suck or something? Anytime I look up good runs on either, there’s nothing from that period, and any time I look up best DC runs from the 2000s, nothing from Batman or Superman is listed, Batgirl is listed. Supergirl is listed. JLA/JSA is listed. Sometimes Batman/Superman is listed. But never just Batman or Superman or Detective Comics or Action Comics

*Aside from Morrison Batman

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Yeah it all looks pretty uninteresting to me too. Then again I've always been more of an X-men guy so I'll probably never have much interest in Marvel animation.

So real question: did the mainline Batman and Superman comics from the early/mid-2000s really suck or something? Anytime I look up good runs on either, there’s nothing from that period, and any time I look up best DC runs from the 2000s, nothing from Batman or Superman is listed, Batgirl is listed. Supergirl is listed. JLA/JSA is listed. Sometimes Batman/Superman is listed. But never just Batman or Superman or Detective Comics or Action Comics

All-Star Superman started in 2005. Does that count?

They were pretty lackluster iirc. I don't really remember many times of interest outside of dark knight strikes again or the Bruce Wayne fugitive storylines. Action comics had that amazing single issue with superman vs the authority type characters.

All-Star Superman started in 2005. Does that count?

Hey, more Morrison!

Nah, doesn't count. I know it's good, but I was curious about the state of Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman, and Superman at the time. Based on the lack of a legacy, it seems like they weren't great. Or at best, unremarkable.

I'm not searching for good runs from those comics in that decade, just wondering

No. That was one of the strongest eras for the batman line

You had brubaker on Batman (decent run)
you had Rucka on Detective comics (awesome)
you had Dixon doing nightwing/Robin/Birds of Prey
you had Brubaker creating the definitive run of Catwoman
No Mans land is my favorite batman event ever. (Knightfall/end/quest being second)

Later you got Brubaker/Rucka creating Gotham central and doing amazing work.
My happiest time with the batfamily line

Early/mid 2000s Superman comics were great; fun stories from Loeb/Kelly/DeMatteis/Schultz, with some big names on artwork like McGuinness/Mahnke/Wieringo/Paquette/Kano, and exciting married life moments from Lois and Clark.

Early/mid 2000s Batman stories were spent dealing with the aftermath of No Man's Land, with Brubaker/Rucka/Moench/Dixon and the rest telling street-level stories about the Batman family while the entire brand was being rebuilt.

EDIT: People used to say the best thing about Batman from that era was the "family" aspect, the explosion of popular characters surrounding Bruce: Batgirl, Nightwing, Birds of Prey, Robin, Spoiler, etc. Then DC tried to kill all of that with War Games.

SoilBreak

Banned

Early/mid-2000s were one of my favorite eras of Superman. Kelly,Loeb,Rucka,Johns,and Busiek
had some good runs.

No. That was one of the strongest eras for the batman line

You had brubaker on Batman (decent run)
you had Rucka on Detective comics (awesome)
you had Dixon doing nightwing/Robin/Birds of Prey
you had Brubaker creating the definitive run of Catwoman
No Mans land is my favorite batman event ever. (Knightfall/end/quest being second)

Later you got Brubaker/Rucka creating Gotham central and doing amazing work.
My happiest time with the batfamily line

Yep, amazing era for the Bat-family. Unfortunately a lot of it isn't collected which is why it's not very high profile anymore. Hell, I just read Rucka's 'Tec issue yesterday featuring Gordon's retirement with a surprisingly moving appearance by Two-Face. Just fantastic stuff.

Also, while it gets a lot of (justified) crap, Hush came from that era and it's probably one of the most popular Bat-runs of all time.

Yep, amazing era for the Bat-family. Unfortunately a lot of it isn't collected which is why it's not very high profile anymore. Hell, I just read Rucka's 'Tec issue yesterday featuring Gordon's retirementment with a surprisingly moving appearance by Two-Face. Just fantastic stuff.

Also, while it gets a lot of (justified) crap, Hush came from that era and it's probably one of the most popular Bat-runs of all time.

Yea. DC was horrible with their collecting of this era. It's a shame. Only now did we get a proper collection of No Mans Land.

Yep, amazing era for the Bat-family. Unfortunately a lot of it isn't collected which is why it's not very high profile anymore. Hell, I just read Rucka's 'Tec issue yesterday featuring Gordon's retirementment with a surprisingly moving appearance by Two-Face. Just fantastic stuff.

That's probably part of it. If it's not in trades, it's hard to recommend. Not as a format, but just as an easy way to give. Saying "Go pick up Batman: Hush" is a lot easier for people than "Go pick up Batman issues ###-###". Doubly so if a storyline crosses into multiple series as they often do

I'm very annoyed with the lack of collection from DC from that era, both physically and especially digitally

That's probably part of it. If it's not in trades, it's hard to recommend. Not as a format, but just as an easy way to give. Saying "Go pick up Batman: Hush" is a lot easier for people than "Go pick up Batman issues ###-###". Doubly so if a storyline crosses into multiple series as they often do

I'm very annoyed with the lack of collection from DC from that era, both physically and especially digitally
They're slowly fixing digitally. All the main runs are there. Now they're finally filling in runs like PaDs aquaman, Supergirl, etc.

What runs are you looking for? Those were the last I was watching for.

They're slowly fixing digitally. All the main runs are there. Now they're finally filling in runs like PaDs aquaman, Supergirl, etc.

What runs are you looking for? Those were the last I was watching for.

The runs are mostly there, but it's all single issues, not collections. Which is fine if not mildly annoying

Peter David's Supergirl still isn't up on Comixology, that's the only run I can think of that's missing.

Another high quality 2000s Batman series is Matt Wagner's Batman & The Monster Men and Batman & The Mad Monk. For my money they are much better "Year One Sequels" than Long Halloween & Dark Victory.

Paul Dini also had a very good run on Detective running concurrently with Morrison's Batman IIRC that told some really good, smaller scale Batman stories.

Messi

Another high quality 2000s Batman series is Matt Wagner's Batman & The Monster Men and Batman & The Mad Monk. For my money they are much better "Year One Sequels" than Long Halloween & Dark Victory.

Paul Dini also had a very good run on Detective running concurrently with Morrison's Batman IIRC that told some really good, smaller scale Batman stories.

Is that the run with Heart of Hush, the story that is better than Hush? If so that was great.

Thanks for the corrections, everyone. So if I were looking at Batfamily and Superman books after let's say 2000, which runs/series should I be looking for? At least starting points

The runs are mostly there, but it's all single issues, not collections. Which is fine if not mildly annoying

Peter David's Supergirl still isn't up on Comixology, that's the only run I can think of that's missing.
Yea. The first couple issues showed up this week. It's the next one I think they'll trickle in each week.

Now I wait for the CMX DC sales

Pre or Post flashpoint, for preference?

Pre. I'm thinking post-No Man's Land, pre-Flashpoint

I have some good recommendations on stuff like Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Batgirl, Wonder Woman, JSA/JLA and all that jazz. But no Batman or other Batfamily, or Superman.

I'm pretty new to DC and trying to bulk up

Yea. The first couple issues showed up this week. It's the next one I think they'll trickle in each week.

Now I wait for the CMX DC sales

So that was this week! I just checked out of habit and thought "Huh, when did those get added"

I know CMX has a "digital release date" but I didn't bother checking

Thanks for the corrections, everyone. So if I were looking at Batfamily and Superman books after let's say 2000, which runs/series should I be looking for? At least starting points

Honestly, I'd start with No Man's Land (which actually started in 1999 I believe) because it's a really cool, unique event and it also serves as the basis for a lot of the Bat stuff that followed.

Then I would read Rucka's entire Detective run starting at 742. Then pretty much read anything Batman related with Rucka or Brubaker's name on it ('Tec, Batman, Catwoman, Gotham Central).

Hitch's JLA is really good guys. Guy can write the characters. All the Leagues personalities are there and really well done. Very fun book so far.

The runs are mostly there, but it's all single issues, not collections. Which is fine if not mildly annoying.

I imagine it would be easier if Comixology would point out to you the "secondary" numbering system you're supposed to follow with comics of that era, especially with events.

tZHPuBM.jpg

EDIT: Just looked at 'Superman' on Comixology and it looks like the only story from that Loeb/Kelly era is the "Emperor Joker" storyline. There's like sixty issues missing from before, and another twenty-ish after. So yeah, not a lot of people are going to recommend things they can only read in out-of-print trades.

I want to read the best Deadpool story out there that's going to make me laugh and show me how awesome the character is. What do I get?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's Mignola's best Hellboy book? That's a lot of collections to get through...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom