• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kinda a broad question, but doing the marvel unlimited Penny deal. Never really read Any superhero comics. Is there anything I need to read immediately or get caught up on first?

Wolverine & The X-Men volume 1 (issues 1-42 I believe)
Secret Avengers 2014
Hawkeye
Mark Waid Daredevil
Superior Foes of Spiderman
Nextwave
Silver Surfer 2014
Hickman's Fantastic Four / Future Foundation
Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers
Grant Morrison's New X-Men
Uncanny X-Force / Uncanny Avengers (although Axis is a shitstain)

Finished the first volume of Umbrella Academy and that was fantastic. Glad I picked this up and I'm excited to start the second volume.

I'm very proud of your choices in comic reading, friend Rave. Everybody should read Umbrella Academy.

Especially ya'll Doom Patrol B O Y Z out there

Depends on what you want to read. Are there any specific characters or teams you're interested in? We could give you some recommendations.

In general though, a lot of the more recent solo series are easy to just jump into at issue number one or something. Some teams and characters can be a little trickier (X-Men and Spider-Man) but you can still just jump into the most recent series at the beginning and enjoy.

If you have no idea where to begin try these:
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Daredevil by Mark Waid
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Wolverine & The X-Men volume 1 (issues 1-42 I believe)
Secret Avengers 2014
Hawkeye
Mark Waid Daredevil
Superior Foes of Spiderman
Nextwave
Silver Surfer 2014
Hickman's Fantastic Four / Future Foundation
Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers
Grant Morrison's New X-Men
Uncanny X-Force / Uncanny Avengers (although Axis is a shitstain)
I'm a big captain America fan, and I'm really into the flash right now.

Might sound stupid but I guess I'm interested in any comics that has to do with current storylines in movies right now. Lik civil war

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Finished the first volume of Umbrella Academy and that was fantastic. Glad I picked this up and I'm excited to start the second volume.

Umbrella Academy is really fucking great. Gerard Way was channeling his love for Grant Morrison hard with that one, but it was also just unique, super interesting, and well written.

Also, Gabriel Ba's art is phenomenal. Him and Fabio Moon are super underrated.

I dunno. I really liked most of the main cast, maybe Kraken? I loved Vanya's design in the end though, definitely my favorite on that front.

Yeah, Vanya is the best. Kinda upset I passed on the 10" statue of her that Dark Horse put out. But I did buy the mini-figure set.

After Vanya, I'd say Rumor is my second favorite.

Messi

Archie #1: oh wow, this book is totally made for me. Such a fun read with a great flow. Mark Waid told a fun story with some great jokes and good setups. Fiona staples was amazing on art. Very sad she will be leaving after #3 as she gave this book a unique look. I love this type of book. Betty is totes adorbz. Loved the fashion of all the characters. Always like seeing effort put into that (Babs Tarr is great at that). Definitely in until Fiona leaves, will continue if I like the next artist. Great first issue.

Couldn't be more excited for Zdarsky and Henderson Jughead. That is an amazing combo.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Journey into Mystery (the fear itself Loki period) is amazing. It touches a little on Loki and Thor growing up, I wonder, was there any Thor book about this period ever? When he was a kid, pre-hammer and whatnot?

Owzers

When is Umbrella Academy vol.3 coming besides not soon enough?

Just read Killjoys...

I need to get back to Killjoys, after issue #1 i've taken a long break.

Journey into Mystery (the fear itself Loki period) is amazing. It touches a little on Loki and Thor growing up, I wonder, was there any Thor book about this period ever? When he was a kid, pre-hammer and whatnot?

Tangent, as i do not know if there was a Thor book dedicated to him growing up, have you read Gillen's Journey into Mystery series before this Fear Itself dabbling? It's something that probably shouldn't be missed, high random grade series.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just read Killjoys...

I need to get back to Killjoys, after issue #1 i've taken a long break.

You don't. It's absolute garbage. Half the fucking story is from the My Chemical Romance album, and then the comics are this attempt to fuse that concept into a musical comic. It's really not worth reading unless you happen to be the biggest MCR fan.

ElNarez

Banned
You don't. It's absolute garbage. Half the fucking story is from the My Chemical Romance album, and then the comics are this attempt to fuse that concept into a musical comic. It's really not worth reading unless you happen to be the biggest MCR fan.

Hi, I'm the biggest MCR fan in Comic-GAF.

Killjoys is straight up not worth it, it's all the most cliché post-apocalypse stories except in a weird aesthetic that, to be fair, Becky Cloonan draws the fuck out of. But seriously : there's a robot BUT IT'S FIGHTING BACK AGAINST ITS PROGRAMMING, and a hitman for a massive corporation BUT THE MASSIVE CORPORATION IS EVIL AND THAT EATS HIM UP INSIDE and then there's these gang of heroes TRYING REAL HARD TO LIVE UP TO THOSE THAT CAME BEFORE THEM and then there A BIG REVOLT and really fuck all that.

I'm very proud of your choices in comic reading, friend Rave. Everybody should read Umbrella Academy.

Especially ya'll Doom Patrol B O Y Z out there

Umbrella Academy is really fucking great. Gerard Way was channeling his love for Grant Morrison hard with that one, but it was also just unique, super interesting, and well written.

Also, Gabriel Ba's art is phenomenal. Him and Fabio Moon are super underrated.
Yeah the Doom Patrol and general Morrison was strong here. Spaceboy and Robotman felt kinda similar and that's before getting into just how absurd some of the ideas were. Loved it either way. Kipp my dude, you gotta get on this.
Yeah, Vanya is the best. Kinda upset I passed on the 10" statue of her that Dark Horse put out. But I did buy the mini-figure set.

After Vanya, I'd say Rumor is my second favorite.
Oh I bet the Vanya statue looked great :O

Might sound stupid but I guess I'm interested in any comics that has to do with current storylines in movies right now. Lik civil war

Not stupid at all. I'm not really big into Cap but everyone loves Brubaker's run, which introduces Winter Soldier and all that. I don't know the reading order or anything myself though so maybe someone here can give you a hand.

Other than that you can try Daredevil by Miller or Daredevil by Bendis. If you enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy then I definitely recommend giving Cosmic Marvel a shot. There's a popular image of the reading order that should be easy to find considering how often it's posted on GAF. I really enjoyed the Guardians of the Galaxy series by Abnett and Lanning and I love The Thanos Imperative.

Signed up for Marvel Unlimited because of the promo and don't understand how to navigate the site. The Android app won't let me sign in. :|

i can't wait until femmeworth shits on your dreams comic-gaf. please review hickman's new avengers first, show them the light. be the fire.

Nudull

Banned
Signed up for Marvel Unlimited because of the promo and don't understand how to navigate the site. The Android app won't let me sign in. :|

Didn't know you were a comics reader. Neat. :) *waves*

I had trouble going through the site too, back when they ran the Star Wars promo. It tended to crash a lot on my iPhone too. >.>

To get a specific comic series, you have to look them up through the site's search engine (you'd have to click the top down menu right next to the red button and put it on "comics" before you do) and see which issues have the U logo on them. That, or you can go under the comics tab and under "Browse", look by series/character/creators/events.

Don't know why Marvel Unlimited doesn't have it's own dedicated site apart from Marvel.com

Oh I bet the Vanya statue looked great :O

It wasn't bad, but I read some reviews saying that theirs came out a bit too much on the grey side.

16129.jpg

Some people are way too negative about comics, a bunch of kill-joys.

Haha I get it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All right, guys. Without exaggeration, today is one of the best days I've had in a long time. Kind of overwhelming how good it's been, so I'll just go chronologically and hit all the main stuff.

First of all, after getting ready for SDCC in the morning, I get a text from my neighbor saying I got the FroYo manager job! So I'm giving my two weeks notice at my awful website job tomorrow morning. So, so, so excited. Gonna be a pretty big change.

Okay, then the train ride down to San Diego was so great. I love trains. The views were spectacular.

And then going into the exhibit hall at SDCC for the first time. So insane. Just overwhelming.

After an hour or so of just wandering around and kind of getting a grip on SDCC, I met up with Bii and Serpentine. Both totally awesome guys. We mostly just wandered the floor and saw the endless amount of stuff there is to see, but some of the highlights were:

- Meeting this guy who made an adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (comes out from IDW in October 2015 I think). Chatted with him for a couple minutes about how amazing HST is and how I've always thought HST's books would make amazing comics. We both agreed that the not very well-known Curse of Lono would be the second-best HST book to adapt of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas did well. He was a cool guy. Gave me a signed 50-page preview of the OGN.

- Meeting Rob Liefeld and taking a picture with him. Self-explanatory why this is awesome.

- Going to the Chip Zdarsky panel. That guy is absolutely hilarious. Such a fun panel. Mark Waid even went up during the open-question time and asked him who his favorite JSA character was.

I'm absolutely certain I'm forgetting some amazing stuff, but those are some highlights off the top of my head.

I hadn't bought anything all day (obviously) and I was 99% sure I wasn't going to buy anything, but then literally minutes before the exhibit hall closed, we stopped by the Drawn & Quarterly booth and I knew I had to buy something. The prices were way lower than I was expecting, so I bought "Drawn & Quarterly: 25 Years..." which is a massive 775 page hardcover that's half history of Drawn & Quarterly and half comic strips. Looks super cool. And I bought "Pure Pajamas" by Marc Bell which is a collection of short comics by Marc Bell. Other than that I know nothing about it other than the fact that the art looks absolutely amazing. And I also bought "Ant Colony" by Michael DeForge which I've read probably half of already since it's also a webcomic and I absolutely adore it. It's incredible. I'm so stoked for every single one of those things I bought and I paid something like $60 for all three, which seems like a total steal.
Here's a picture of my haul.

And then, lastly, the train ride back was almost as awesome as the train ride there. And now I'm home, just super stoked about how great life is.

Anyways, thank you so much Bii and Serpentine for wandering around SDCC all day with me. You guys are seriously great guys and I had such an amazing time. I'm really looking forward to seeing you at future cons!

Messi

But Kipp did you guys talk about me?

Oh and more seriously, was Ann Nocenti there? She has nothing currently coming out. I hope she still has the fire for comics.

Some people are way too negative about comics, a bunch of kill-joys.

Thats a silly statement, son, one that monkey would make.

dont read civil war

Read Brubaker's run on Captain America. Really phenom work for a while until Reborn which is Okish.

If you wanna catch up with Daredevil, read Frank Miller's run followed by Bendis' work and thenb Brubaker's. Then skip over to Waid's.

That should keep you entertained for a while. High quality comics all around

i can't wait until femmeworth shits on your dreams comic-gaf. please review hickman's new avengers first, show them the light. be the fire.
*laugh* I'm not going to jump into any big events yet, given I have no foundation in the Marvel universe other than the MCU.
Is she married to Jett?
No. Just inherited his tag apparently.
True story, Femmeworth gave Fury Road a 6/10. "It was aight I guess"
Lies and slander. I haven't watched it yet. :\
Didn't know you were a comics reader. Neat. :) *waves*

I had trouble going through the site too, back when they ran the Star Wars promo. It tended to crash a lot on my iPhone too. >.>

To get a specific comic series, you have to look them up through the site's search engine (you'd have to click the top down menu right next to the red button and put it on "comics" before you do) and see which issues have the U logo on them. That, or you can go under the comics tab and under "Browse", look by series/character/creators/events.

Don't know why Marvel Unlimited doesn't have it's own dedicated site apart from Marvel.com
The only American comics series I've read is Y: The Last Man and that was years ago, so wouldn't consider myself a comics reader. I'd like to get into comics though. Thanks for the tips.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Met these guys at SDCC.

From left to right: me, Serpentine and Kipp.

Kipp hasn't bought anything yet. Will update if he does.

Oh also, Kevin Wada totally took this picture. Thanks to Serpentine for noticing. I would have never known.

Martha Washington - Saves the World:
The title seems a bit of a misnomer when the ending was a Deus Ex Machina in the original sense.
I enjoyed the story, but not as much as Give me Liberty or Goes to War.

Martha Washington - Dies: A great end to a great comic. The last few double page spreads were beautiful.

Loved the series. Only negative would be one or two places where Miller was a little less than subtle with his Rand influences. The bit about
the end of Wasserstein and Martha's relationship felt like something straight out of The Fountainhead.

Also, the collected edition is brilliant. The size does justice to Gibbons' art and the extras and Gibbons' constant notes were very nice. It is easy to find on eBay for less than MSRP. If you like the series, definitely try to get one of these.

Here's a good picture review of the collected edition. (The blog has lots of nice reviews)

http://myabsolutecollection.blogspot.com/2012/06/life-and-times-of-martha-washington-in.html

So glad you enjoyed it. One of my favorite comics ever.

!

*pic of me buying something*

Loooool. Dying at all the replies.

But Kipp did you guys talk about me?

Oh and more seriously, was Ann Nocenti there? She has nothing currently coming out. I hope she still has the fire for comics.

Real talk: One of the first things we spoke about when all three of us met up was you. Bii was like "I've got this Sejic sketch and these Sejic prints for Messi."

And no, no she wasn't :'(
It ruined my SDCC that she wasn't there tbh. Just like it ruined Bii's SDCC that there weren't any crazy cars in the exhibit hall like there usually are.

Proud of you Kipp. I wanna see the pic of you and Liefeld.

Awesome to hear you got that job too!

Serpentine has it on his phone. He said he'll post it a little later. I told him to post it with the caption "We all met up with Rafa too!"
I made sure to make an EXTREME face.
I'm so excited about that photo. Haha
Also, for what it's worth and for how much I just wanted to get a picture with him because of how ridiculous his art is, he is a genuinely super nice guy.

And thanks!

Rhaknar

Tangent, as i do not know if there was a Thor book dedicated to him growing up, have you read Gillen's Journey into Mystery series before this Fear Itself dabbling? It's something that probably shouldn't be missed, high random grade series.

Nope this is the first time I'm reading this book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom