• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I haven't read issue 19-21 yet of my flops because i'm waiting to reread the previous few in the OHC i have on order...

I got that email from amazon last month basically shrugging and saying they had no idea when it was coming out. I had forgotten when I'd order the book it was so long ago.

Hey, Amazon put up the Funimation version of Evangelion 3.0 on Blu-ray like, two years ago and that thing is still in production hell.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Ant-Man this week, for whoever is interested in the MCU.

I'm my friend group's hype man for Super Hero movies. For Age of Ultron I did a count down with different posters and merch that I have for Ant Man I made a brief primer:

Rs4ZK3L.jpg

3KFscNG.jpg

FfYRubl.jpg

19qPwje.jpg

k5qP8XK.jpg

IITNtbI.jpg

I'm sending one a day between now and Thursday. Anything obviously wrong?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
What do I need to read beforehand? Seems like Avengers Vs. X-Men is important. Though I also don't want to fall down the continuity rabbit hole a this point.

That's important for why people are mad at Cyclops, but All-New X-Men covers enough of it that you'd probably be fine without too much back story.

Ant-Man this week, for whoever is interested in the MCU.
I forgot that was so soon. Will try to catch it on Friday night though.
What do I need to read beforehand? Seems like Avengers Vs. X-Men is important. Though I also don't want to fall down the continuity rabbit hole a this point.

Really anything after AvX can be read starting at issue 1 so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I haven't read it but you should be able to just start ANXM from the beginning if you're interested.

PsychBat!

Banned

Yeah AvX is importa-- oh... in that case, I recommend Daredevil by Mark Waid and Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron. I'll think of some more stuff.

But almost everything after AvX went through a new status quo so, you're good with anything that's recommend here.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I keep liking everything involving Asgard and i keep putting off the 2012 Aaron Thor.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

Proud of you Kipp. I wanna see the pic of you and Liefeld.

6fH2wOK.jpg

this frugality is some next level shit

ya'll really aint shit lmao
also do NOT under any circumstances read Killjoys. A perfectly good waste of Becky Cloonan. For more great Ba/Moon comics, pls read Casanova.
hey, the discount went up the more you bought and I was already planning on buying Super Mutant Academy after flipping through it, but i ain't gonna turn down a discount, so we just combined those purchases for 4 books = 40%.

and that was the first time we even stopped at the D+Q booth, fuckers!

Oh also, Kevin Wada totally took this picture. Thanks to Serpentine for noticing. I would have never known.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that lmao. She-Hulk and Catwoman cover artist Kevin Wada just happened to be the dude to take the pic

You can get away just fine with reading the Bendis runs on Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men. They go hand-in-hand for the first story arc or two, but kind of diverge thereafter. Still worth reading both, IMO.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just deleted every Ultimate book from my MU queue, except Spidey which I started and stopped some months ago. Went from 225 to 167 books in the library...feels good

Of course that is still a stupid backlog because thats still 167 DIFFERENT SERIES, not just 167 issues, but still, baby steps

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
6fH2wOK.jpg

hey, the discount went up the more you bought and I was already planning on buying Super Mutant Academy after flipping through it, but i ain't gonna turn down a discount, so we just combined those purchases for 4 books = 40%.

and that was the first time we even stopped at the D+Q booth, fuckers!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that lmao. She-Hulk and Catwoman cover artist Kevin Wada just happened to be the dude to take the pic

Hahaha. That picture is PERFECT.

And lol. I still love the fact that we just asked Kevin Wada to take our photo. I just thought it was some random dude and either you or Bii were like "Hey man, could you take this photo for us?"
And then after you were like "Kevin Wada just took our photo."
This is why SDCC is the best.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Are there pictures of Liefelds feets? Does they look like his drawings?

Paul Dini also had a very good run on Detective running concurrently with Morrison's Batman IIRC that told some really good, smaller scale Batman stories.

Did he killed of Tims dad? Stuff was heartbreaking, espescially when later Bruce became a shitty asshole under Morrision and fired him suddenly as Robin.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read a bit of Marc Bell's Pure Pajamas. Incredible.
It's one of those things where you read it and think to yourself "How on earth did any person actually come up with this?"
Just totally bizarre and incredibly creative.

Bii

Hahaha. That picture is PERFECT.

And lol. I still love the fact that we just asked Kevin Wada to take our photo. I just thought it was some random dude and either you or Bii were like "Hey man, could you take this photo for us?"
And then after you were like "Kevin Wada just took our photo."
This is why SDCC is the best.

Oh wow, was that really him? I just thought it was some random dudes hanging by the wall. I also told his friend, in a nice way, to move so we could take a picture with the backdrop, haha.

Liefeld was a nice dude; very enthusiastic about taking a pic. As soon as I asked him, he started to wrap his arm around me and I had to awkwardly tell him that there are two others I wanted to be in the photo. ._.

Bii

I'm going to throw this out there but Kipp had almost done something worse than spending no money at all. He was just going to give it away! At the Panini and Funimation booth, they were giving out these Golden Frieza promo cards for free. On eBay, they're selling for ~$20 each. So we went to the Panini booth and grabbed our free cards and Kipp hands me his and says he doesn't want it. o_O

I tried to give it back (I have four already) but he didn't want it.

Tim, I tried looking for the Krypto plush but every booth I went to was sold out of it. :(

I feel like Red Hood and Arsenal is the product of DC wanting to do something with these two characters but can't justify solo series for some reason, so they stuck them together.

They still don't seem to know what to do with them.

Have they ever done something good with Jason after they brought him back?

Aside from Under the Red Hood? I dunno. I picked up the first trade of Red Hood and the Outlaws because of him, and I liked where they were going with him, but I didn't care for Arsenal in that book. Not only that, but Starfire didn't fit at all, and over all the book bored me (though I've been told it gets better after Lobdell got a hold of it). The Future's End was a good Jason story, if there ever was one.

So then I snagged RHaA, and I don't understand. Now it's light-hearted and goofy. They make fun of Jason for being angsty in that book, but he isn't being angsty in that book. It's just Arsenal being a goofball and Jason going "but work tho" and that's it.

It's fucking weird.

I'd like something good to be done with Jason, because he interests me as a character and they could go to really unique places with him. He could be a very different character from the other Bat family members, and yet they just don't seem to know what to do with him.

I'll be honest, I haven't read enough Bat books to know much about Jason's chemistry with the family. I know he hates Dick because he always felt like he was in Dick's shadow, and resents Tim because Tim took his spot. How does he feel towards Damien? Like, all I know about Jason is that he's just an angry motherfucker.

I really liked the whole "mystic assassin" thing they were going for and I thought it was rather unique compared to the rest of the Bat family. Too bad it had to happen in a book with a mediocre opening.
I always think its really sad when they bring back legendary dead characters and then have only one good arc with them.

Who else follows that trend?

Aside from Under the Red Hood? I dunno. I picked up the first trade of Red Hood and the Outlaws because of him, and I liked where they were going with him, but I didn't care for Arsenal in that book. Not only that, but Starfire didn't fit at all, and over all the book bored me (though I've been told it gets better after Lobdell got a hold of it). The Future's End was a good Jason story, if there ever was one.

So then I snagged RHaA, and I don't understand. Now it's light-hearted and goofy. They make fun of Jason for being angsty in that book, but he isn't being angsty in that book. It's just Arsenal being a goofball and Jason going "but work tho" and that's it.

It's fucking weird.

I'd like something good to be done with Jason, because he interests me as a character and they could go to really unique places with him. He could be a very different character from the other Bat family members, and yet they just don't seem to know what to do with him.
Isn't it different enough that he isn't fueled by anger and grudges anymore and has made peace with Bruce and the Bat family?

Isn't it different enough that he isn't fueled by anger and grudges anymore and has made peace with Bruce and the Bat family?

Sure, but now he feels just sort of there by comparison. Anger was sort of his thing, I feel like. Then again like I said, I haven't read enough Bat books to know otherwise.

I'm going to throw this out there but Kipp had almost done something worse than spending no money at all. He was just going to give it away! At the Panini and Funimation booth, they were giving out these Golden Frieza promo cards for free. On eBay, they're selling for ~$20 each. So we went to the Panini booth and grabbed our free cards and Kipp hands me his and says he doesn't want it. o_O

I tried to give it back (I have four already) but he didn't want it.(

Kipp what are you doing. Kipp there are DBZ players who want to throw money at you for that card.

Love that Liefeld group shot. Amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom