• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Archie #1: oh wow, this book is totally made for me. Such a fun read with a great flow. Mark Waid told a fun story with some great jokes and good setups. Fiona staples was amazing on art. Very sad she will be leaving after #3 as she gave this book a unique look. I love this type of book. Betty is totes adorbz. Loved the fashion of all the characters. Always like seeing effort put into that (Babs Tarr is great at that). Definitely in until Fiona leaves, will continue if I like the next artist. Great first issue.

Couldn't be more excited for Zdarsky and Henderson Jughead. That is an amazing combo.

It was great. If we still did voting, it would easily be my Book of the Month.

Posted yet?

Fantastic_Four_movie_poster_hitch.jpg

No Fox, I don't want this birthday present. I hope you kept the receipt.

Where the Valiant homies at?

I'm in the lead up to Harbinger Wars and I'm plotting out where to go next from here.

When I'm all done with this I'm going to post a master-list of Valiant Reading Order so ComicsGAF can dive in easily.

A master list is a great idea. If I weren't recovering from a surgery and designing a mafia game, I would totally do it myself since you've given me the idea. However, in lieu of that, if you need any feedback, let me know.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Soooo dope. Dunno if I'm late on this, but here's Morrison talking about the book at SDCC.

Hi, btw. Never posted in here before.

Deadly Class >>>>> *

No need to spoiler that, my dude. Errybody reading it already knows!

Also, Morrison's take on Diana's sword and shield is super interesting--think this is the first time I've genuinely been interested in the character.

Messi

That's my heritage m8.

I don't talk shit about haggis or mutton or w/e. I'd appreciate the same courtesy.

Tell me you've at least had a Most American Burger.

Are you mocking my heritage m8?

Which burger is the most American? I ate taco bell yesterday. It was disgusting. You should be ashamed to sell that trash.

Zombine

Banned
Also, Morrison's take on Diana's sword and shield is super interesting--think this is the first time I've genuinely been interested in the character.

I find the whole line to be super interesting. Earth One is wicked approachable and fun. I just ordered vol 1 of Superman because it's the only character I've ignored so far.

Owzers

Are you mocking my heritage m8?

Which burger is the most American? I ate taco bell yesterday. It was disgusting. You should be ashamed to sell that trash.

you have sampled our finest food already, why push it.

I don't like any fast food....Chick fil A maybe.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I find the whole line to be super interesting. Earth One is wicked approachable and fun. I just ordered vol 1 of Superman because it's the only character I've ignored so far.

I still need to check out Batman and Teen Titans E1. I don't really hear them discussed too often, but hopefully they're fun little OGNs.

Ya'll posting about Valiant the last few days has me wanting to check it out bad. I read the first volume of Archer & Armstrong, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't completely sucked into it. I own the other three volumes but I just haven't felt compelled to read them over other comics. Kind of weird since I loved Incredible Herc. Should I bother checking out other Valiant books?

Mindwipe

I'm in the lead up to Harbinger Wars and I'm plotting out where to go next from here.

When I'm all done with this I'm going to post a master-list of Valiant Reading Order so ComicsGAF can dive in easily.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks...ing_a_valiant_tpbs_reading_order_need_second/

This seemed like a reasonable list to work off.

Yeah, I have a backlog of post-Humble Bundle Valiant stuff I need to start up on.

Then again after last week I have a backlog of everything.

Ya'll posting about Valiant the last few days has me wanting to check it out bad. I read the first volume of Archer & Armstrong, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't completely sucked into it. I own the other three volumes but I just haven't felt compelled to read them over other comics. Kind of weird since I loved Incredible Herc. Should I bother checking out other Valiant books?

I recommend everyone start with X-O Manowar and Harbinger (and probably Bloodshot). I liked A&A, but I'm not crazy about it. Ivar, Timewalker is fantastic, but it's from their third wave of launches; doesn't really get you a good sense of the universe, either.

Mindwipe

A&A is really it's own thing, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Swamp Thing in space is definitely the weakest point of the run, but Moore managed to do some pretty interesting things with the concept.

The last issue I read with Darkseid was great. Trying to figure out the Anti-life equation. Getting that missing ingredient.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Valiant Reading List

The master list I'm writing is basically my preferred reading list for X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger and it's associated events through "Phase 1" of Valiant. I'm leaving out books that didn't grab me (Shadowman, the lighthearted books like A&A, Q&W).

I'll revise it if anything seems out of whack while I'm reading it, this seems like a super solid Valiant Phase One list:
X-O Manowar 1-14
Harbinger 1-5
Bloodshot 1-9
Harbinger 6-10, 0

Harbinger Wars:
Bloodshot 10
Harbinger Wars 1, Harbinger 11, Bloodshot 11
Harbinger Wars 2, Harbinger 12, Bloodshot 12
Harbinger Wars 3, Harbinger 13, Bloodshot 13, Harbinger 14
Harbinger Wars 4

Bloodshot 0
X-O Manowar 15-18

Unity:
Unity 1, X-O Manowar 19
Unity 2, X-O Manowar 20
Unity 3, X-O Manowar 21
Unity 4, X-O Manowar 22

Unity 5-7
Harbinger 15-25, Harbinger: Faith 0, Harbinger: Bleeding Monk 0
X-O Manowar 23-25

Armor Hunters:
Armor Hunters 1, Unity 8, X-O Manowar 26
Armor Hunters 2, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 1, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 1, Unity 9, X-O Manowar 27
Armor Hunters 3, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 2, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 2, Unity 10, X-O Manowar 28, Armor Hunters: Bloodshot 3, Armor Hunters: Harbinger 3, Unity 11
Armor Hunters 4, X-O Manowar 29
Armor Hunters : Aftermath 1

Great opinions matched by a great Elektra Assassin avatar, welcome brotha
Welcome! Awesome taste in books. Anything else that you enjoy?

Thanks.

Erm, in terms of current stuff: Saga, Southern Bastards, Sex Criminals, Low, TMNT, Secret Wars. Just started Casanova (vol. 1 Luxuria) too which seems dope. Been meaning to hop on Shutter and Spider-Gwen, worth doing?

I'm pretty green still so alot of what I read is older stuff, lol.

Hello potential new friend. Deadly Class is really great. How do you feel about Harley Quinn and general hijinks?

Well, I fuck with Bruce Timm Harley... is/was New 52 Harley good?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.

Erm, in terms of current stuff: Saga, Southern Bastards, Sex Criminals, Low, TMNT, Secret Wars. Just started Casanova (vol. 1 Luxuria) too which seems dope. Been meaning to hop on Shutter and Spider-Gwen, worth doing?

Spider-Gwen is a lot of sizzle without much steak. The art and costume are great. The story doesn't really exist yet, but has had a few good to great moments.

I've seen that reddit link but like TermDog said, A&A didn't really grab me (and it's also not a part of all the madness that I'm reading) so it seems bloated with a bunch of books.

The master list I'm writing is basically my preferred reading list for X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger and it's associated events through "Phase 1" of Valiant. I'm leaving out books that didn't grab me (Shadowman, the lighthearted books like A&A, Q&W).

I'll revise it if anything seems out of whack while I'm reading it, this seems like a super solid Valiant Phase One list:

Looks good so far.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Lol. I'm straight up giddy that I get to turn in my two weeks today.

And guys, I'll have more free time now so I might actually start reading comics again! Especially after SDCC, I'm pretty excited to be able to read some comics.

I'm pretty sure it's going to come completely out of nowhere for my boss too. She's already mega-short-staffed, so I'm pretty sure she might explode.

Tizoc

Archie #1: oh wow, this book is totally made for me. Such a fun read with a great flow. Mark Waid told a fun story with some great jokes and good setups. Fiona staples was amazing on art. Very sad she will be leaving after #3 as she gave this book a unique look. I love this type of book. Betty is totes adorbz. Loved the fashion of all the characters. Always like seeing effort put into that (Babs Tarr is great at that). Definitely in until Fiona leaves, will continue if I like the next artist. Great first issue.

Couldn't be more excited for Zdarsky and Henderson Jughead. That is an amazing combo.
You're gonna drop a book because of the art? If the writing's good it's worth staying around.
I confess that didn't help Bru's Catwoman run after Darwyn's departure though :p

Zombine

Banned
Thanks.

Spider-Gwen has all the makings of a good book, with varying degrees of execution. I enjoy the art, her look is probably one of the best that Marvel has had in years, and I enjoy what they're trying to accomplish with its self-contained and unique world, but sometimes it falls flat. So yes, worth reading, but go in with your expectations in check and you may find yourself getting enjoyment out of the title.

Messi

Thanks.

While it isn't animate series good, Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti are doing he best work in years on harley. It is a fun read with great art. Keep away from any Suicide Squad harley, it's all needless grim dark dreck.

Absolutely jump on Shutter, you should check out Silk by Marvel. It is better than SpiderGwen imo, while Gwen is still good. You can drop silk before she turns evil in a few months.

WHY SILK :(

You're gonna drop a book because of the art? If the writing's good it's worth staying around.
I confess that didn't help Bru's Catwoman run after Darwyn's departure though :p

Art is equally important to me as writing. But the art would have to be horrible (Quitely/Pulido level) for me to drop it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
That Darkseid story is fantastic. Imagine how amazing a series of DTV animated movies would be based off this run.

There's a Darkseid story in Swamp Thing? Awesome. Swamp Thing is one of the many, many classic/legendary runs I still really need to read.

I wouldn't normally drop a book over art unless it's Land-level bad, but there's no denying that Fiona Staples absolutely killed it on Archie to such an extent that it's already hard to imagine the book without her. She made that book.

Filthy Slug

Lol. I'm straight up giddy that I get to turn in my two weeks today.

And guys, I'll have more free time now so I might actually start reading comics again! Especially after SDCC, I'm pretty excited to be able to read some comics.

I'm pretty sure it's going to come completely out of nowhere for my boss too. She's already mega-short-staffed, so I'm pretty sure she might explode.

Kipp destroying businesses and laughing it off like it's another Tuesday.

That Darkseid story is fantastic. Imagine how amazing a series of DTV animated movies would be based off this run.

Heh yeah, I could say that about a lot of runs.

On somewhat related note, cool Easter Egg in Arkham Knight, a GCPD officer says "this is worst than dealing with that Swamp Creature down in Louisiana."

Arooguy

I just started getting back into reading Valiant comics again, good stuff. I will be looking out for that list in the future though if I haven't already gone through them myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom