• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Squirrel Girl fans will love the recent issue despite the fact the cover is a lie.

Yes, I know that's the joke.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bachalo the GOAT

magik.jpg

Psych please

Am I the only one reading Omega Men? Tim probably reads it, too. First issue was pretty vague, but by the end of issue #2, it all makes sense now. There are some definite parallels to Guardians, in that there's a character named Broot, and a woman that likes to inform people that she has, indeed, shot them in the face. But the art is lovely and I like the tone of this book do far.

It'll probably get cancelled by issue #6. Thanks DiDio.

Cade

Wut. I can pull that pose no prob. And i ain't even particularly flexible.

Srsly, i just tried.

I only posted that so I could watch you try

im actually just trying to break rhaknar cause it's 10 pm on a wednesday and im not doing anything

EDIT: See!

Its pretty scary now, the spoiler space. You can click on spoiler links and you'll never know if you're gonna get anime or some shit just popping up in your face.
Anime swag, I'm flying like Goku
Anime swag, when I pull up in that old school

Back on the track it's the anime master
Hoes on my dick Cowboy Bebop when I'm blastin'
Y, Soulja Boy Tell me that my swag ever lastin'
Pikachu diamonds, anime floskas

We Stand On Guard 1 was pretty cool. I feel like a bit more pathos could have been mined out of the introductory scene. But nothing wrong with just getting right to it. Some really great mech drawings in this. Some stand out characters are already semi-emerging so I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Also that issue was the one where her cyke and the new mutant were nuked, time really flies I remember you guys talking about it like last month, how has it been 6 months o_O

Am I the only one reading Omega Men? Tim probably reads it, too. First issue was pretty vague, but by the end of issue #2, it all makes sense now. There are some definite parallels to Guardians, in that there's a character named Broot, and a woman that likes to inform people that she has, indeed, shot them in the face. But the art is lovely and I like the tone of this book do far.

I'm reading it! It's actually pretty great, though I run out of adjectives to describe it around there. It's like... "what if the Guardians of the Galaxy were a semi-religious, quasi-terrorist group fighting an occupation by Space Rome?" Like, I'm pretty sure the restitution rate (100 deaths for every one of theirs) is something they actually used to do. Art is, like you said, pretty nice. Nothing to write home about, IMO, but it's aesthetically pleasing and easy to follow.

Anyway, past that it gets tough to come to grips with how I feel like it. It's one of those things where I can feel my brain growing after I read it as it tries to accommodate the new ideas.

Oh, and it's got a guaranteed 12 issues, with an option for more if sales back it up.

I read it and commented in this thread about it today. King has said in numerous interviews that he has 12 issues and the book does well, he has more in mind. I really like it so far.

Just read The Spire #1

Really liked it! The world that Spurrier created is really interesting with all of the different creatures mixed in with everyone in a bigass tower. The dialogue was a lot of fun to follow and I liked how you kind of learn about the world through little snippets here and there, it was well done.

Art was nice too. I love Sha's design-- she is such a cool looking character (her personality's great too). Of course, the spire itself also looked good, should make for a fun setting. Very excited for the next issue.

Just read The Spire #1

Really liked it! The world that Spurrier created is really interesting with all of the different creatures mixed in with everyone in a bigass tower. The dialogue was a lot of fun to follow and I liked how you kind of learn about the world through little snippets here and there, it was well done.

I really enjoyed it as well. The old-timey talk toward the beginning was beginning to lose me, but I think that was because there was a good bit of it before I really had a grasp on this world that everything was happening in. Looking forward to the next issue.

Welcome back Gameproff, hope you're doing better
I really enjoyed it as well. The old-timey talk toward the beginning was beginning to lose me, but I think that was because there was a good bit of it before I really had a grasp on this world that everything was happening in. Looking forward to the next issue.

Yeah I thought the dialogue was a little overwhelming at first but it felt more natural as it progressed.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
We Stand On Guard 1 was pretty cool. I feel like a bit more pathos could have been mined out of the introductory scene. But nothing wrong with just getting right to it. Some really great mech drawings in this. Some stand out characters are already semi-emerging so I'm looking forward to the next issue.

I mostly liked it, but I don't like untranslated text in comics. It's fitting here, obviously, but as a person that doesn't speak French I felt like I had to go and look up everything that guy was saying, which really takes you out of the story.

Great Mech designs, though.

Just read The Spire #1

Art was nice too. I love Sha's design-- she is such a cool looking character (her personality's great too). Of course, the spire itself also looked good, should make for a fun setting. Very excited for the next issue.

Sha is great. I loved the transition between the different levels of the Spire, I hope they play with that more.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, there was some of that in Omega Men as well. Only for a few panels, and it was Spanish, so I got the jist of it anyway.

I can guess a lot easier with Spanish than French, which has the added complexity of being hard to pronounce anyway. It makes it even harder to read a long.

MattyG

Banned
I'm gonna pick up some more trades tomorrow, since I just finished the last one I bought last week (The Killing Joke). I'm going to grab The Black Mirror, and start the New 52 Snyder Batman run. Which trades do I grab for that?

I can only get about 2 books besides The Black Mirror, and I want to read a couple other books from the Bat-family as well (probably Nightwing or Batgirl). Which one would you guys recommend I pick up tomorrow aside from Court of Owls? Night of Owls? City of Owls? Or just grab Nightwing: Traps and Trapezes until I can get more books next week and get through the crossovers and whatnot? Those are what's throwing me off is the crossovers like Night of Owls and Death of the Family, I feel like if I'm going to read other books that crossover with Batman in those storylines, then I have to read them parallel to each other.

I'm gonna pick up some more trades tomorrow, since I just finished the last one I bought last week (The Killing Joke). I'm going to grab The Black Mirror, and start the New 52 Snyder Batman run. Which trades do I grab for that?

I can only get about 2 books besides The Black Mirror, and I want to read a couple other books from the Bat-family as well (probably Nightwing or Batgirl). Which one would you guys recommend I pick up tomorrow aside from Court of Owls? Night of Owls? City of Owls? Or just grab Nightwing: Traps and Trapezes until I can get more books next week and get through the crossovers and whatnot? Those are what's throwing me off is the crossovers like Night of Owls and Death of the Family, I feel like if I'm going to read other books that crossover with Batman in those storylines, then I have to read them parallel to each other.

For New 52 Batman just grab volume 1 and go from there. City of Owls is volume 2 so if you want to grab the first two trades go with that.

And don't think you have to read everything that ties into the series, Batman is pretty self-contained and you don't have to read anything else. If you want another Bat-book, then try New 52 Batman & Robin. I haven't read it myself but I know a lot of people here (Messi, Filthy, Psych, etc.) all really enjoy it.

Rhaknar

I continue to love the Black Widow ongoing. How long did it ran for, it's on #13 now on MU

MattyG

Banned
For New 52 Batman just grab volume 1 and go from there. City of Owls is volume 2 so if you want to grab the first two trades go with that.

And don't think you have to read everything that ties into the series, Batman is pretty self-contained and you don't have to read anything else. If you want another Bat-book, then try New 52 Batman & Robin. I haven't read it myself but I know a lot of people here (Messi, Filthy, Psych, etc.) all really enjoy it.
Oh, okay. I thought Night of the Owls was next after Court. So yeah, I guess I'll grab Court and City then. And I'll check out Batman & Robin next week when I go to grab more. Thanks for the suggestions!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Oh, okay. I thought Night of the Owls was next after Court. So yeah, I guess I'll grab Court and City then. And I'll check out Batman & Robin next week when I go to grab more. Thanks for the suggestions!

Night of the Owls is just a collection of the tie-in issues. Honestly, the only one worth reading are the Nightwing tie-ins as the book itself was on a parallel track with Snyder and Capullo's Batman. It tied the event in really nicely.

MattyG

Banned
Night of the Owls is just a collection of the tie-in issues. Honestly, the only one worth reading are the Nightwing tie-ins as the book itself was on a parallel track with Snyder and Capullo's Batman. It tied the event in really nicely.
Ahhh ok. I think the Nightwing tie-in issues are in volume 2 of his trades, which I'll probably grab next week. Awesome, can't wait to start reading them! I've heard nothing but great things since it first came out.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spider-Man Inc. Spider-Mobile 2.0! Hot asian chicks. Whats not to love

Spider-Mobile will backfire horrible anyway and I dont trust Slott enough anymore that he could something similar good as Batman Incorporated. At least it made me ordering Batman Incorporated.

Sad to see that they really seem to pull Peter out of New York because of Miles.
And to bad that there is not really a Spider-Book, that sound really interesting.

A little bit disturbing, that Slott (together with Ellis... On Karmak...) is currently Marvels biggest name. What a joke those creative teams are. RIP cape books.

Rhaknar

Not sure how I feel about SHIELD #1 :/

It was alright-ish, too much MCU stuff for my taste tho. Plus Coulson feels like a completely different character from the Secret Avengers version

Choose your destiny.
VG8nGb8.png
r1E4xqn.png
MjjFt3F.png
Jm8ntJq.png

Ty friend Psych. But i love 2 of them and can only use 1, so now I'm afraid I must hate you for making me choose. You were so close too :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Got my sleeping bag and sleeping pad in the mail! So hyped. The sleeping pad is seriously more comfortable than my mattress. Not sure what that says about my mattress, but regardless, it's amazing. And the sleeping bag seems great too. I got way too hot way too fast, so that probably means it's very good.

Also, I still had Against Me stuck in my head for the rest of the night, so I just played them over the speakers at the bouldering gym and I kinda was killing it tonight if I do say so myself.

...Ah yeah, this is the comics thread.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Read the days the first five Issues of Bendis Uncanny X-Men. Stuff was pretty good, I hope we get OHCs as soon as the whole All New X-Men Run is collected in this format.

And man, Batman Arkham Asylum: A serious house, etc. etc. is pretty great.
Arkham Knight on the other side is not that good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
How is Midnighter?

Two Thumbs Up, and I didn't really know anything about the character going into it. Though I'm not sure if that's a plus or not.

...Ah yeah, this is the comics thread.

I think it's actually a breakfast thread that's gotten heinously off topic.

I continue to love the Black Widow ongoing. How long did it ran for, it's on #13 now on MU

19 just came out last week, I believe.

Rhaknar

Who's the hero (or villain) that has legitimately died the most, and can you name all those deaths?

Yes I'm bored

Edit: died not did >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom