• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
I love how in the original trailer, the "comedic"
moment that you're supposed to laugh at is when Johnny is adjusting the seat, and it's the dumbest shit that falls completely flat with the audience. Nobody every laughs.

I love how in the original trailer, the "comedic"
moment that you're supposed to laugh at is when Johnny is adjusting the seat, and it's the dumbest shit that falls completely flat with the audience. Nobody every laughs.

I laughed at the idea of this being a joke

Owzers

hmmm i kinda want that creepy jae lee wonder woman figure now too. Maybe this is DC's thing, just release nothing but creepy figures and wait for people to have nightmares.

Zombine

Banned
I laughed at the idea of this being a joke

wpid-clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-135385730291.gif

ElNarez

Banned
It's good Fox is there to show us what a real shitshow looks like. Man of Steel looks so fine when compared to F4.

Seriously though. When has anyone ever taken doom seriously. He is a mid tier villian at best.

now that is straight up bunk, because Hickman is just giving out a goddamn Doom masterclass RIGHT NOW and he has for years. Doom is one of these great villains that can work in any context, if you're good at writing.

Now I really need to see this trailer, just to glory in its awfulness.

It's good Fox is there to show us what a real shitshow looks like. Man of Steel looks so fine when compared to F4.

now that is straight up bunk, because Hickman is just giving out a goddamn Doom masterclass RIGHT NOW and he has for years. Doom is one of these great villains that can work in any context, if you're good at writing.

I like to think of Doom as a villain that separates the men from the boys (or the women from the girls, w/e). A bad writer will write him as unrelatable, melodramatic, and overpowered. A good writer will realize that all of these things are his strengths.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
correct me if im wrong (and I usually am) but Joe Kelly was the "blind Al / T-Ray era" Deadpool I believe? if so, this is exciting

CJ4R5SgUsAAZSXB.jpg

Messi

FF is no doubt a bad adaptation but I still think it looks interesting. I liked chronicles so I want to see how this pans out.

The movie rights complaining is getting ceaseless and I don't think Marvel Studios would have done Doom justice.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I don't know what to believe now that I have seen kipp paying for comics.

See, me paying for comics isn't all too crazy. I mean, I've got a pretty packed out bookshelf of comics. Now, me READING comics is a whole other story.

But guys... I'm so incredibly looking forward to having more free time. Free time is hard for me to even imagine right now. Just a week and a half and I'll be living like a normal person again. :D

Bii

Whew, I'm back home. SDCC was fun and I'm glad I went this year, again, for the fifth time.

Here's what I got:

First booth I hit up was Nucleus where Mike Mitchell was stationed at. I just started to collect his Fat Bird prints and didn't want to miss out on this SDCC exclusive.

Bought a Golden Frieza for myself and a gift to my brother.

Sunstone volumes 1 & 2, Ravine volumes 1 & 2 by Stjepan Sejic. These were included with the sketch packages you can buy at Top Cow's booth. I had never read either of those before so I started on Sunstone and wow, it gets hot and heavy really fast.

Witht the purchase of this hardcover, you get a free sketch either from Long Vo or Jeffrey "Chamba" Cruz. My hotel buddy got it during preview night and I wasn't all too impressed with Chamba's quick sketch of Ken. I've been getting a sketch from Long Vo every year so I opted for him.

I didn't get as many as I wanted to get because Sunday was just not happening with the Artist's Alley being filled with so many others trying to get a sketch. I missed out on Edwin Huang (Udon/Skullkickers artist, half body for $80), Andrew Griffith (Transformers: Robots in Disguise artist, half body for $60), Dan Veesenmeyer (LEGO artist, full sketch of lego character for $20) and Katie Cook (My Little Pony artist, $10 for a small color doodle). Those prices and their level of skill were extremely reasonable but their waitlist was full by the time I got to them. Here's what I did get:

Two years ago, I saw Whitney Pollett at SDCC. I wanted to get a commission from her but her waitlist was filled up. When I saw that she was coming back to SDCC, I knew I just had to get to her early on Thursday. I asked for Poison Ivy and in an instant, she started to speak her mind with what she wanted to do with the character. It was really fascinating how quickly you can see her gears start to turn as she's envisioning what she wanted to draw. I'm very happy and impressed with what she did.

Chris Brandt was doing cartoon sketches with the price of pay-what-you-want. I asked for a quick one of Batman and gave him $5.

I had seen Benton Jew back in April when he had a table at BigWow Comic Fest in San Jose. He had some examples of 60's era Batman prints that I liked and requested his 10-minute sketch for $10.

Since I had my villains sketchbook with Whitney, I couldn't get the Catwoman I wanted from Stjepan. So Batman it is! Although he has a very heavy Croation accent, he is a funny guy all around. He kept me entertained as I stood there watching him draw this piece for me.

There were pictures posted a few pages back but I did meet Kipp and Serpentine. It was kind of awkward because Kipp wouldn't tell me his real name. He kept referring to his GAF name so that's what I called him throughout the day. Whatever. We browse the exhibit floor on Sunday for practically the entire day. We attended Chip Zdarsky's panel (Mark Waid made an appearance!), shuffled through crowd after crowd, hunting for a bookmark (probably one of the toughest things I've ever had to do at SDCC) and we witnessed Kipp buying something. I could totally see us hanging out day-to-day if we didn't live so far from one another.

I plan on attending StocktonCon for one day (I think Cheska's going to be there too) in August and all the days at Long Beach Comic Con in September (Kipp/Serp will probably be there). If we meet for a few minutes, have lunch or browse the floor together, I'm up for any meet-up.

I also got some stuff for Messi. Not sure if he wanted me to post pics or if he wanted to do it; I haven't sent his things out yet.

Celebrity sightings not in the convention:
Chris Daughtry was in my elevator as I was on my way to my room. He's very funny and look shorter compared to the pictures/videos I've seen of him. As soon as he stepped into the elevator, which was already full, he made a very smooth and flattering comment to everyone. Something to the effect of "my gosh, there's a lot of people here, good thing we're all skinny". Here's a tweet of someone mentioning this little encounter, which he then retweeted: https://twitter.com/CHRIS_Daughtry/status/620079713285836800
Ron Jeremy was hanging outside of my hotel on one of the benches. He looked sad, lonely, and could seriously pass off as being homeless. I walked by him and didn't care to talk/take a picture with him.

ElNarez

Banned
Sunstone volumes 1 & 2, Ravine volumes 1 & 2 by Stjepan Sejic. These were included with the sketch packages you can buy at Top Cow's booth. I had never read either of those before so I started on Sunstone and wow, it gets hot and heavy really fast.

Quick warning: Volume 2 of Sunstone is NOT ACTUALLY MORE OF THE SAME AND IT WILL FUCK YOU UP

Whew, I'm back home. SDCC was fun and I'm glad I went this year, again, for the fifth time.

Here's what I got:

First booth I hit up was Nucleus where Mike Mitchell was stationed at. I just started to collect his Fat Bird prints and didn't want to miss out on this SDCC exclusive.

Bought a Golden Frieza for myself and a gift to my brother.

Witht the purchase of this hardcover, you get a free sketch either from Long Vo or Jeffrey "Chamba" Cruz. My hotel buddy got it during preview night and I wasn't all too impressed with Chamba's quick sketch of Ken. I've been getting a sketch from Long Vo every year so I opted for him.

I didn't get as many as I wanted to get because Sunday was just not happening with the Artist's Alley being filled with so many others trying to get a sketch. I missed out on Edwin Huang (Udon/Skullkickers artist, half body for $80), Andrew Griffith (Transformers: Robots in Disguise artist, half body for $60), Dan Veesenmeyer (LEGO artist, full sketch of lego character for $20) and Katie Cook (My Little Pony artist, $10 for a small color doodle). Those prices and their level of skill were extremely reasonable but their waitlist was full by the time I got to them. Here's what I did get:

Two years ago, I saw Whitney Pollett at SDCC. I wanted to get a commission from her but her waitlist was filled up. When I saw that she was coming back to SDCC, I knew I just had to get to her early on Thursday. I asked for Poison Ivy and in an instant, she started to speak her mind with what she wanted to do with the character. It was really fascinating how quickly you can see her gears start to turn as she's envisioning what she wanted to draw. I'm very happy and impressed with what she did.

Chris Brandt was doing cartoon sketches with the price of pay-what-you-want. I asked for a quick one of Batman and gave him $5.

I had seen Benton Jew back in April when he had a table at BigWow Comic Fest in San Jose. He had some examples of 60's era Batman prints that I liked and requested his 10-minute sketch for $10.

Since I had my villains sketchbook with Whitney, I couldn't get the Catwoman I wanted from Stjepan. So Batman it is! Although he has a very heavy Croation accent, he is a funny guy all around. He kept me entertained as I stood there watching him draw this piece for me.

There were pictures posted a few pages back but I did meet Kipp and Serpentine. It was kind of awkward because Kipp wouldn't tell me his real name. He kept referring to his GAF name so that's what I called him throughout the day. Whatever. We browse the exhibit floor on Sunday for practically the entire day. We attended Chip Zdarsky's panel (Mark Waid made an appearance!), shuffled through crowd after crowd, hunting for a bookmark (probably one of the toughest things I've ever had to do at SDCC) and we witnessed Kipp buying something. I could totally see us hanging out day-to-day if we didn't live so far from one another.

I plan on attending StocktonCon for one day (I think Cheska's going to be there too) in August and all the days at Long Beach Comic Con in September (Kipp/Serp will probably be there). If we meet for a few minutes, have lunch or browse the floor together, I'm up for any meet-up.

I also got some stuff for Messi. Not sure if he wanted me to post pics or if he wanted to do it; I haven't sent his things out yet.

Celebrity sightings not in the convention:
Chris Daughtry was in my elevator as I was on my way to my room. He's very funny and look shorter compared to the pictures/videos I've seen of him. As soon as he stepped into the elevator, which was already full, he made a very smooth and flattering comment to everyone. Something to the effect of "my gosh, there's a lot of people here, good thing we're all skinny". Here's a tweet of someone mentioning this little encounter, which he then retweeted: https://twitter.com/CHRIS_Daughtry/status/620079713285836800
Ron Jeremy was hanging outside of my hotel on one of the benches. He looked sad, lonely, and could seriously pass off as being homeless. I walked by him and didn't care to talk/take a picture with him.

Love seeing/reading all this. Awesome...
And fucking LOL about Ron Jeremy!

Messi

Yo Bii. Feel free to post pics of my stuff. I wanna see :)

I'll get you that address later tonight hopefully lol.

Also, you got some awesome stuff. That Ivy is amazing. Shame you couldn't get Sejic Catwoman as he does a great one. His batman is cool tho.

Kipp

That Fat Bird print is super cool.

Lol'd at the bolded. :p
It was great hanging out with you guys too! You and Serpentine are both awesome people. I had such a great time. Really looking forward to hopefully seeing you guys at LBCC! Unless something strange comes up that prevents me from going, I'll almost certainly be there and will definitely be up for hanging out.

Godzilla in Hell #1 Preview (CBR)

I love how Godzilla
is all "SKREEOOONK!!! (translation: nah, f*ck that)" at the sign that greets him when he lands.

This will undoubtedly be the greatest comic of all time. Not even exaggerating.

Kipp

It's ok Kipp my name is Zombine.

Uh... yeah? I know? You do know your name shows up to the left of your posts, right? You don't have to tell me.

I think it's in the GAF Terms and Conditions that you have to use your real name as your username, so I just assume these are all your real names.
Your parents are all crazy.

If Godzilla ended up in hell, then do other giant monsters have an afterlife? Do any of them go to heaven?

Now I REALLY want to read "Godzilla in Heaven."

Bii

Quick warning: Volume 2 of Sunstone is NOT ACTUALLY MORE OF THE SAME AND IT WILL FUCK YOU UP

So...I shouldn't read vol 2?

Yo Bii. Feel free to post pics of my stuff. I wanna see :)

I'll get you that address later tonight hopefully lol.

Also, you got some awesome stuff. That Ivy is amazing. Shame you couldn't get Sejic Catwoman as he does a great one. His batman is cool tho.

Prints and original sketch all signed by Stjepan Sejic.

it's super unhealthy boning, and it isn't hot or fun like the stuff in volume one. it's great, but it's when Sunstone says "okay I'm not actually softcore lesbian bdsm, I mean business"

Well yeah. It's a story that contains some softcore lesbian BDSM but it's certainly way more than that.

So...I shouldn't read vol 2?

Nah, you should still read it, just be aware it's heavier than Vol 1.

Prints and original sketch all signed by Stjepan Sejic.

Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom