• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading my big sexy fear agent hardcover. (Thing is bigger than my arm) how are you supposed to hold this thing ? I'm prying to read it on a flat surface (table) but I'm worried I will hurt this beautiful, sewn bound book. What do gaf ?

Why risk doing this, after the Spider-Woman debacle even?
Editors do have a very strong say into what kind of cover the artist makes. For that spider woman, the editor could have easily told Mañana to do a different pose.

The way it works iirc is marvel contacts an artist, artist says yes I'll do a cover, marvel provides some direction if they want to, artist provides 3-5 different roughs, marvel picks one and the artist does that one.

So really, you could pick any kind of artist, as long as you are not tone deaf you'll be alright

Calcium

Banned
Reading my big sexy fear agent hardcover. (Thing is bigger than my arm) how are you supposed to hold this thing ? I'm prying to read it on a flat surface (table) but I'm worried I will hurt this beautiful, sewn bound book. What do gaf ?

YVXoMfO.png

Fear Agent is a great read. Enjoy it!

Wonder when the Hawkeye omnibus is due now. I cancelled my pre-order a while ago after #22 was delayed again. I think Amazon UK said November last time I looked.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Too much stuff to reply to in the last few pages. So it will get ignored. Just know that the last few pages entertained me greatly.

Anyways, I got my Bartkira exhibition book today and it's awesome:

Probably the most indie book I have besides Copra. You can check out more on their website

Oh my goodness. That looks like the best thing ever.

YVXoMfO.png

Fear Agent is a great read. Enjoy it!

My favorite part about this is to be honest, I don't even know you, Migrant. No offense intended at all. I mean, I'm sure you post here, but I'm awful at remembering people. Yet you still know about my Official Omnibus Reading Position image from over a year ago. I think this means it's officially set in stone in the ComicsGAF lore.

Also, Fear Agent is one of my favorites of all time. Enjoy, TalkingToast!
That's one of the ones I need to reread eventually. So good.

My favorite thing about this is that Kipp took time to draw the sun in the window

I am pretty much James Stokoe/Geoff Darrow. I will not spare any details.

I actually have a prety good recliner for that. Lemme go try. It's right beside a window !!

:')

My favorite part about this is to be honest, I don't even know you, Migrant. No offense intended at all. I mean, I'm sure you post here, but I'm awful at remembering people. Yet you still know about my Official Omnibus Reading Position image from over a year ago. I think this means it's officially set in stone in the ComicsGAF lore.

This reading position saves lives. It's possibly the most important contribution anyone has ever made to this community. You should feel proud.

Calcium

Banned
TMy favorite part about this is to be honest, I don't even know you, Migrant. No offense intended at all. I mean, I'm sure you post here, but I'm awful at remembering people. Yet you still know about my Official Omnibus Reading Position image from over a year ago. I think this means it's officially set in stone in the ComicsGAF lore.

It belongs in a museum.

Kipp

Now the countdown begins to Hawkeye OHC vol. 2
Just realized the first Hawkeye OHC was one of the first comics I ever bought. So that would've been something like two years ago?

Wait who the hell is Kipp?

Oh, that's me. I don't think I've seen you around here before, so it makes sense that you don't know me. Welcome to the thread, Zombane!

Kipp

Just got my first schedule for my new job. Hype.

I really truly believe that in a week and a half when I have more free time again, my comics reading will resume. This could be big, guys.

styl3s

Just got my first schedule for my new job. Hype.

I really truly believe that in a week and a half when I have more free time again, my comics reading will resume. This could be big, guys.
Wait, we are supposed to read the comics we buy?

Kipp

Wait, we are supposed to read the comics we buy?

So I've heard. I'm going to experiment with it, I think. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Also, I have no idea what your avatar is all about, but it's kind of absurd to me and I absolutely love it.

Kipp

Na, just look at the pretty pictures.

I even currently fail when it comes to this. I sat down to "read" Shaolin Cowboy which is effectively a Geoff Darrow artbook, and I only got through 10 pages. Not because it wasn't amazing, just because I suck.

To be fair, I was using the Birdie method of taking every page in fully, because it's Geoff Darrow and you absolutely must scan every centimeter of every page. It took me like 15-20 minutes to just stare at those 10 pages.

I downloaded hawkguy and was like "i dont think im prepared for this"

and then I read it

and now im like " I wasn't prepared for this"

10 mediocres out of 10

Just read the first issue of fear agent, very cool. Love the tony Moore art, Heath's fight with the monkey men was great. Easy to follow, satisfying and brutal. There was a really messed up jaw snap in there. The idea for the series definitely hase hooked, I don't regret buying these big hardcovers ! My first comic was Uncanny X force (that I bought, and first comic I read cover to cover) and I've been hooked with everyone attached to that book since. Love Opena's work wherever I can find it, and having just read the first issue of deadly class and first volume of low, first 2 of black science, this Remender guy might just be my fave.

Should I check out that last days of American crime hardcover ? Low was SO good !

Also, I just read the second tpb for WicDiv yesterday after rereading the first and I really do dig that series. The ending was a pretty big shocker, surprised to see so many posting in this thread saying they would drop the series because nothing is happening, is the next issue REALLY dull ?

Hawkeye 22 was wonderful.

Definitely one of the best runs I've read. Aja's art was worth the wait. He's amazing at setting the tone and none of his panels are duds. Those action panels were incredible. Fraction's got a way with words too of course, his dialogue has always been great.

As for the actual story stuff in 22 (major spoilers obviously)
I'm very happy to see how it all wrapped up. I'm glad everyone survived okay. I was sad at first to see Lucky get shot but was incredibly relieved to see him alive at the end. The twist with Barney was great too.

Hard to believe it's finally over. Thought it was funny to see the note in the letter at the end saying "Hey buy All New Hawkeye #1!"

Kipp

Hmm my only problem is it's a bit more expensive than buying the two OHCs.

And to be honest, Marvel's OHCs are the best format anyways. Just the perfect size and really high quality. I'd take 10-ish-issue OHCs over an omnibus any day.

I only have the trades (buying the fourth too) and I'm definitely grabbing the omnibus.

Probably the most I've spent on a single series considering I buy the singles too.

I only own it digitally, so I'm uncommitted to any collected format at the moment. I'll have to see.

And to be honest, Marvel's OHCs are the best format anyways. Just the perfect size and really high quality. I'd take 10-ish-issue OHCs over an omnibus any day.

Yeah, I'm looking at it and there doesn't seem to be any extras not included in the OHCs. Might as well, if it saves me a few bucks.

I'll still do you proud and read those in your reading position.

Owzers

after catching up on East of West and watching a movie based on how Messi was created i haven't really had the urge to read comics lately. Maybe i'll reread Hawkeye a little and then move on to 19-21 i haven't read yet in anticipation of 22 arriving in my dcbs order, apparently that's something good that people like.

edit: I too no longer care about the omnibus format, i'd rather have ~15 issue collections. I presume i'm done with Absolute editions too sadly, but there hasn't been a DC book lately that i've liked enough where it made me wish it came to the Absolutes. Batman Inc will most likely be the last Absolute i purchase :/

after catching up on East of West and watching a movie based on how Messi was created i haven't really had the urge to read comics lately. Maybe i'll reread Hawkeye a little and then move on to 19-21 i haven't read yet in anticipation of 22 arriving in my dcbs order, apparently that's something good that people like.

What did you think of Ex Machina?

Owzers

What did you think of Ex Machina?

I try to avoid a lot of spoilers/trailers/hype for movies so going in I had the impression it was going to be an action movie. Despite that I still liked it a lot and i think they did a good job keeping the creepy tone throughout the movie.

edit: What bugs me most about omnibus formats is the page sag you get with the binding. I tried putting cardboard cutouts under the pages to keep them up but gravity is winning most times.

edit: I too no longer care about the omnibus format, i'd rather have ~15 issue collections. I presume i'm done with Absolute editions too sadly, but there hasn't been a DC book lately that i've liked enough where it made me wish it came to the Absolutes. Batman Inc will most likely be the last Absolute i purchase :/

Well, at least Absolute editions offer something over collections of OHCs (fitting in fewer bookcases), not that those exist really exist for mainline DC, whereas an omnibus without extra content is just a thicker book. This, of course, doesn't apply where omnibus has proper reading order and the OHCs do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom