• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

YVXoMfO.png

Fear Agent is a great read. Enjoy it!

This is how I read sunstone

Zombine

Banned
It's not The Big Two or Image, but y'all should check out this kickstarter if you're interested in the diversity of stories comics can tell. I've seen Ronald Wemberly mentioned a few times, looks like his comic Lighten Up will be included. If you like this, you'll probably like the book.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattbors/eat-more-comics-the-best-of-the-nib

I find Wimberly to be one of the most compelling "new" creators of our generation along with Kot. I'll have to give it a go.

I try to avoid a lot of spoilers/trailers/hype for movies so going in I had the impression it was going to be an action movie. Despite that I still liked it a lot and i think they did a good job keeping the creepy tone throughout the movie.

Yeah, definitely. I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting. Really love the cast - Gleeson, Vikander and Isaac are all great.

Btw, I am not a robot.

I'm not so sure.

Maybe this has been mentioned as this news is a few days old, but it cant hurt to mention it again, I guess. IDW's TMNT is getting a board game!

Designed by Kevin Wilson with input from IDW’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creative team, franchise co-creator Kevin Eastman, Bobby Curnow, and Tom Waltz, the game will be available in a standard and special limited-edition format, featuring artwork by Eastman.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past will be a scenario-driven campaign game that features story content from the hit ongoing IDW comic. Two to five players will battle their way through a series of 60-90 minute missions where players develop their characters strengths, fighting styles, and equipment along the way to create a lasting story arc. Fan-favorite characters like Casey Jones and Alopex will appear throughout the missions, as the Turtles call on their closest allies for help in battling their deadliest foes.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Isn't that already an omni in some cases?
Depends on how you define a Omnibus. There are a couple of OHCs (Aaron Thor, Waid Daredevil, to name some) with this many issues, but just two Omnis with 16 Issues -> Young Avengers and Superior Foes, whose Runs are just 16 Issues at all.

Depends on how you define a Omnibus. There are a couple of OHCs (Aaron Thor, Waid Daredevil, to name some) with this many issues, but just two Omnis with 16 Issues -> Young Avengers and Superior Foes, whose Runs are just 16 Issues at all.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of more or less.

I say, as long as the price is right, I don't care what they call it.

Don't forget that Marvel did technically call it the Devil Dinosaur Omnibus.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
In regards to omnibus vs. OHC, I've always known an omnibus to be any book collecting an entire run, no matter how short/long that run is (excluding miniseries and one-shots, obviously). It's also an omnibus if it collects a run that's too big for one volume but fits as many issues as possible into the individual volumes as possible (see JSA omnibuses for example). And an OHC is simply an oversized hardcover, which is pretty self-explanatory.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Woke up extra early for Hawkguy. It was totally worth it. What a run.

I loved how
much stuff from earlier in the run came back. The conversation about collar stays, the boomerang arrow, the way that he used the cables from his AV set up to tie up the tracksuit guy.
Just perfect.

Savitar

Godzilla in Hell was a fun read. I'm sure the TPB will make for a much greater read but still this was nice and speaks well for future issues.

zeeaykay

Other races can't like Hip-Hop? I don't see the big deal? Them having Hip-Hop cover and not having any black writers IS two separate issues.
It's not about liking hip-hop, it's about the history of hip-hip and what it represents. What marvel is doing is currently running counter to the hip-hop movement.

It's not about liking hip-hop, it's about the history of hip-hip and what it represents. What marvel is doing is currently running counter to the hip-hop movement.

I guess I can see that. I really feel like these people just throw a dart on the wall to see what variant theme they will do for a month. I don't see anything intentional on their end.

zeeaykay

I guess I can see that. I really feel like these people just throw a dart on the wall to see what variant theme they will do for a month. I don't see anything intentional on their end.
Oh, for sure, definitely just the result of some creative meeting. And it's a great theme, it's just too bad they couldn't put their money where their covers are.

Other races can't like Hip-Hop? I don't see the big deal? Them having Hip-Hop cover and not having any black writers IS two separate issues.
Sure anybody can like hip hop. That's not really the issue. The problem is marvel deciding that it can use black culture for profit while systematically excluding people of color from participating in the titles it publishes.

Zombine

Banned
"After much deliberation after being called out for having no black talent at Marvel for our 'All-New' launch, we are pleased to announce that Tom Hanks son Chet Hanks will be the guest editor on all of the books releasing during Hip-Hop variant month."

ElNarez

Banned
Hail Hydra's shaping up to be an excellent epilogue to Remender's Cap work. Really enjoyed it. Gonna miss seeing this dude on Marvel books.

It felt super cookie cutter Remender comics to me. Like.

Short sentences. Can't afford the words. Punch it up. Action writing. Two words. Shorter. Punchier.

Unless you're a bad guy, and then you get to go big and fancy. But most times you don't.

Or maybe you need all the space you need because you're about to throw the mother of all quips.

AND SOMETIMES YOU GET A BIG "ICONIC" LINE.

"People have been demanding black olives for years! Its not exactly my style of topping, but here at Marvel we're not afraid of change. We don't hit any big reset buttons every decade or so like our Distinguished Competition across the...country, now is it? Here in New York, we have the BEST pizza *laughs*"

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this kind of thing, but I am just overwhelmed with excitement, and I wanted to share this with you all.

They physical copy of my first comic book, The Gamma Gals, Issue #1 arrived today in the mail, and I'm just over the moon. I've been drawing comic books since 1993, when I was 14 years old, and it has been my dream to one day actually complete one and have it on my shelf. 22 years later, I finally completed my first issue, and the physical copy arrived today! I can't tell you how fantastic of a feeling it is to see something through to the end, and then be able to hold it in my hands and flip the pages.

I'm not trying to pimp my book or sell it, I just wanted to share with GAF this milestone in my life as an artist. This is literally the fulfillment of a 22 year old dream, and I hope that other people who may read this post can get some encouragement from it if they were in a similar period of listlessness as myself. Don't be discouraged, and don't be your own worst enemy and talk yourself out of trying!
I just finished reading this,, I like it. It was fun, art was nice. Good work sir.

It felt super cookie cutter Remender comics to me. Like.

Short sentences. Can't afford the words. Punch it up. Action writing. Two words. Shorter. Punchier.

Unless you're a bad guy, and then you get to go big and fancy. But most times you don't.

Or maybe you need all the space you need because you're about to throw the mother of all quips.

AND SOMETIMES YOU GET A BIG "ICONIC" LINE.

I feel like just about all of Remender's Marvel books could be reduced to this, though, and those that can't are the stuff I don't like (Axis, first Uncanny Avengers arc, Iron Nail arc). He can get overindulgent, this wasn't.

Zombine

Banned
Holy crap...even I had to spend $35 on Marvel comics this week. I really don't know how people are keeping up during Secret Wars/Battleworld.

Mind you that was for 26 $4-5 books.

styl3s

Holy crap...even I had to spend $35 on Marvel comics this week. I really don't know how people are keeping up during Secret Wars/Battleworld.

We hate money and ourselves.

Since it started i have told myself every week i am only gonna go with like maybe 1-2 tie-ins a week totaling out like 10 marvel books a month (including Secret and the main BW) yet here i am month-month picking up 40 fucking marvel books because my illogical brain is like well you own #1 of this and that and #1 and #2 of that, this, that and that so you have to complete them.

I am stuck in some kind of sick Marvel hell and i can't get out.
i don't even care about like 70% of the Marvel books i am picking up

Zombine

Banned
I think Secret Wars will be my last hurrah for Marvel. I'd rather go out on top. I'll read a few of the books from All New that I'm hyped about and that'll be it.

Mindwipe

I'm basically waiting for MU on all the tie ins. That's making it pretty cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom