• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
it's so weird when he said something legitimately problematic to pile onto meaningless nonesense.
Because of the HipHop Thing? I assume that he got the question wrong, he doesnt appeared like a bigott when it comes to questions like, "what do you think about johnnys different look in the FF movie" , "why are you making cap black?"

I dunno, I never got the feeling that Tom is a racist.

ElNarez

Banned
f4nt4astic looks way too millar to me and I get why but man, the world at large got done with his shit around kick-ass 2 and someone's gotta find out the hard way

Calcium

Banned
Was there a new Fantastic 4 (Not calling it Fant4stic, that shit is stupid) at Comic Con or something? I haven't seen anything about it, was it underwhelming?

E the Shaggy

So is this three or four? Inhumans gettin' that Guardians push.

It's this, Inhuman (is that still going on post SW?) Uncanny Inhumans, and...that's it right?

I actually thought that Inhuman would be replaced by Uncanny but I'm not sure.

The difference between Inhumans and Guardians is that Guardians was rebooted right as GOTG hype was picking up. Nobody gives a shit about the Inhumans until at least 2018.

f4nt4astic looks way too millar to me and I get why but man, the world at large got done with his shit around kick-ass 2 and someone's gotta find out the hard way

Nah, Kingsman and Kick-Ass 1 (and I guess Wanted) showed his shit can work if filtered properly.

(Or did you mean the books, cause people still love them some MM?)

I actually thought that Inhuman would be replaced by Uncanny but I'm not sure.

The difference between Inhumans and Guardians is that Guardians was rebooted right as GOTG hype was picking up. Nobody gives a shit about the Inhumans until at least 2018.

It doesn't look like it's replacing Inhuman from what I can tell. I mean, it's not like Soule Power can't handle the extra work.

The Inhunans will still be around for AoS, and we'll probably get a relaunched book from Marvel before the movie drops.

Ok so Captain Britain and the Defenders has a fun diverse cast that goes up against super-obvious Judge Dredd analogs, one of them using
"the focused totality of my physic powers!"

Thank you, Al Ewing/Alan Davis

Was there a new Fantastic 4 (Not calling it Fant4stic, that shit is stupid) at Comic Con or something? I haven't seen anything about it, was it underwhelming?

I honestly h4ven't been p4ying 4ttention to it 4t 4ll. I h4ve no intention of going to see it 4nd think I'm pretty much done with FOX movies outside of X-Men 4poc4lypse.

Ok so Captain Britain and the Defenders has a fun diverse cast that goes up against super-obvious Judge Dredd analogs, one of them using
"the focused totality of my physic powers!"

Thank you, Al Ewing/Alan Davis

Boss _____ was actually Jeff Parker's idea. Ewing based all this off an incredible arc of Parker's Thunderbolt's run.

Which ostensibly Breevort had something to do with since he worked at Marvel at the time so have you checked it carefully for anti-DC bias?

At least DCU's current operatic brown juvenile Finchergoth is a personality, as much as the lighthearted self-aware smart alecy Farvaru/Whedon thing is for Marvel.

The Fantastic Four trailers are just...nothing. Just the most boring, boilerplate, seen these beats a million times lookin' superhero movies in cinema todday.

that's why el-p beats are going to retroactively erase the entire movie and it will be glorious

In a moment of weakness, I broke my self-imposed no Marvel omnibus rule.

Bought X-Statix omnibus. Read the first two issues on marvel unlimited and it was great.

Also tempted by the Wolverine and the X-Men Aaron omnibus.

I watched Whiplash and thought it was great. Now when I see F4 trailers all I can think about is that Miles Teller has a super punch able face and for JK Simmons to play Doom and have it end in a Mr Fantastic drum solo.

E the Shaggy

In a moment of weakness, I broke my self-imposed no Marvel omnibus rule.

Bought X-Statix omnibus. Read the first two issues on marvel unlimited and it was great.

Also tempted by the Wolverine and the X-Men Aaron omnibus.

If you can find it, pick up the Remender X-Force Omnibus. Good shit.

I think I own that, the Walt Simonson Thor, X-Statix and Infinity.

Been debating pulling the trigger on the Roger Stern Spiderman one.

Zombine

Banned
I watched Whiplash and thought it was great. Now when I see F4 trailers all I can think about is that Miles Teller has a super punch able face and for JK Simmons to play Doom and have it end in a Mr Fantastic drum solo.

Change the drums to a piano and you have Kipp's origin story.

Hawkeye #22 is such a perfect ending to Fraction's run. So many good callbacks. It's bittersweet cause I love Clint and Kate's characters and I just don't have faith that the new book will do them justice. Hope I'm wrong though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ant-Man is awesome. Movie is a whole lot of fun

1. Guardians
2. Iron Man
3. Ant-man

After the Ultron fiasco it was great to get a movie that breathes new life into the MCU again. I loved it. Now I definitely need to get my Ant-man reading on and get that Spencer trade

btw, MCU spoiler:
Spidey shoutout!

Hawkeye #22 is such a perfect ending to Fraction's run. So many good callbacks. It's bittersweet cause I love Clint and Kate's characters and I just don't have faith that the new book will do them justice. Hope I'm wrong though.

You've got a real "hawk-eye" for the future of Clint and Kate's book, there.

Ant-Man is awesome. Movie is a whole lot of fun

1. Guardians
2. Iron Man
3. Ant-man

After the Ultron fiasco it was great to get a movie that breathes new life into the MCU again. I loved it. Now I definitely need to get my Ant-man reading on and get that Spencer trade
Hell yes you do. Looking forward to seeing it on the weekend.

Sandfox

Marvel just announced another Inhumans series: "All New Inhumans"

Come on guys, no matter how hard you push them, one title hardly sells well enough to sustain itself, let alone multiple.

http://www.newsarama.com/25239-crystal-returns-with-new-all-new-inhumans-series.html

Ah, I thought so. I remember that quote going around hard during the weekend.

So is this three or four? Inhumans gettin' that Guardians push.

It's this, Inhuman (is that still going on post SW?) Uncanny Inhumans, and...that's it right?
Karnak and Ms. Marvel. Crystal being back and the Inhumans clashing with the X-Men more have me interested in the two Soule books.

I'd love a Runaways or Young Avengers series/movie at some point. If they could do an animated special like the CW are doing with Vixen, that'd be neat.

Sadly, they'll probably just be shoehorned into Agents of SHIELD, which I've never watched.

fauxtrot

Banned
I'd be totally fine with Kate being introduced in the movies and totally replacing Jeremy "She's a slut" Renner as the de facto MCU Hawkeye.

trollface.gif

Oh, yeah, comics:

Black Canary is good. Writing is serviceable to good, and the art is fun, though sometimes the style pushes past "chaotic and simple" into "messy and simplistic." Is this book spelling out Dinah's New 52 backstory for the first time, or should I have more of an idea what's going on?

Sadist

Getting pumped for Ant-Man.

Post Age of Ultron... yeah, I can see why people are harsh on the movie.

I still enjoyed it, even if it's a cluttered movie

Gods, i love how subversive Ewing is.

Why yes, Captain Britain is a dark-skinned muslim woman. Why yes, most of the defenders are female. Why yes, we straight lifting the enemies from that time when i wrote for 2000AD.

jegfbdO.jpg
Isn't she an alien?

Back to optics: you can’t celebrate and profit off something without also including the group that you’re profiting off the back of. Marvel has made a lot of money off brown faces. A portion of X-Men’s juice is from the struggle for civil rights, and we all know what the phrase “black Spider-Man” has done for the perception of your company. (He’s Puerto Rican too, tho.) So to see Marvel continue to profit off something very dear to black people without actually giving black people a seat at the table…I was going to say it “stings,” but in actuality it sucks. It makes Marvel look clueless and it makes black people wonder why they bother with your comics.

With these hip-hop covers? You’re in our house. (“Whose house?”) These albums changed lives, provided the soundtrack to our youth, or maybe just sounded really nice with the bass cranked and the treble at half on the EQ. To claim you’re paying homage (for profit, with no-doubt rare variant covers to be sold at a mark-up to an audience that often does not include the people these albums were created by) while simultaneously not being willing to hire the people who could bring those concepts to your comics in an authentic fashion…the optics are bad, man.

Vundabar.

ReAxion

Lol. Glad that panel got a write-up. There was a lot of gold in there.

The only inaccuracy is the ending, they weren't all horrible photos! He took a lovely photo with my wife. It was the first time they've met and she's been running that tumblr since nearly the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom