• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matrix Reloaded and Revolution are the most disappointing sequels i have ever seen. I have now removed their cases and put them in a binder where they belong, this was inevitable. When i was reading Killjoys yesterday i was trying to find the proper amount of disappointment to compare it to and i think this is it.

I think the garbage is actually the proper place for the Matrix sequels. They should have just let it be after the first film.

That's another series I have never watched. lol.

Your cinematic inexperience is hardly a surprise at this point, Messi-kun.

New 52 Flash vol 1: The art was gorgeous and some of the page layouts were very interesting. But the story/dialogue was a bit bland and frankly boring. (And Iris, especially in the first couple of issues, was a bit ugh with her 'u r' texting and general busybodiness.). No real interest to continue reading.

That's a shame because the next 3 volumes are rather good IMO, especially 4. The art has consistently been some of the best among the New 52 titles.

Messi

ComicGAF is intimidating as fuck! I lurked for so long before actually posting.

I try to be as welcoming as possible. It's not my fault they don't like Harley Quinn

And then you lapsed right back into just lurking.

giphy.gif

This isn't Michigan weather. It is 35 degrees outside with 75% relative humidity. And our Squash court's air conditioning was broken. :/

OK, part 2 of New 52 pickups from library are here. Want to start Superman next. How does this work, do I alternate issues between Superman and Superman: Action Comics?

It's so humid right now.

You don't have to alternate. The first arc or two of Action comics is by morrison detailing Superman's earlier years and how he got his costume. It's a bit confusing but it's a good story when it comes together. Eventually it time jumps and I think cross overs at some point with Superman, during H'el on Earth I think, Doomed does later on as well.

Messi

I like Harley Quinn, I just hate her modern costume.

Quietly's art is always remarkable. Guy is a modern master.

I think Jimmy and Amanda are doing a great job at giving her lots of good and respectable costumes like her superhero costume with Pee Gee. The Suicide Squad costume is woeful though.

That's a shame because the next 3 volumes are rather good IMO, especially 4. The art has consistently been some of the best among the New 52 titles.

Noted. Maybe I'll come back to it later. I am getting them from the library anyway.

It's so humid right now.

You don't have to alternate. The first arc or two of Action comics is by morrison detailing Superman's earlier years and how he got his costume. It's a bit confusing but it's a good story when it comes together. Eventually it time jumps and I think cross overs at some point with Superman, during H'el on Earth I think, Doomed does later on as well.

So I'll read Morrisons' AC volume 1 and volume 2 (the first two arcs) and then read Superman volume 1.

Found this online, don't know how accurate it is.

http://www.comicsbackissues.com/comic-book-reading-order/new-52-superman-reading-order/

Cheska

Yup, comics and video games.
I actually got that limited edition Persona Dancing All Night Vita last week so I've been playing that quite a bit ;)

What's more important than not reading comics?

I swear I've got something wrong here.

Ehhh, life's been busier than usual lately.

Someone sell me on Hellboy, because half a dozen library editions is an investment.

Mike Mignola's wonderful art isn't enough? :O Skip the comics and buy the Premium Format figure, it's more up your alley anyways lol

Anyways its the good Peter David. That one that did Captain Marvel, Hulk, Aquaman, Young Justice, and Xfactor until he put Gambit in it. Also its the best.

The Hellboy library editions seem a little ovwrpriced, unless there's something I'm not seeing. When I start reading the series, I'd probably just collect the tpbs.

The Hellboy library editions seem a little ovwrpriced, unless there's something I'm not seeing. When I start reading the series, I'd probably just collect the tpbs.

That Comixology sale the other week was good value though I do always prefer hard copies. Wish I'd picked up a few of the first volumes then.

That Comixology sale the other week was good value though I do always prefer hard copies. Wish I'd picked up a few of the first volumes then.

True, but like you I opt for hard copies when possible. Well, more accurately, always unless there's a weird situation like it being out of print or ongoing and uncollected.

It'll be my undoing though. I already need another bookcase and I've got a stack of trades in a corner of my bedroom with no shelf to put it on.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
this was before your time, Kipp

birdie_tier.png

Man, some quality posts from yours truly back in 2013, the pre-Messi/Zombine era as I call it

It's hard to remember there was ever a pre-Messi era. I vaguely remember the pre-Zombine era though. I still remember him posting here for the first time.

well guys, you know how much i wanted Trump to be president but the dream is fading.

Read it on mediaite, gaf, saw some backlash. Trump gonna Trump, I'm actually frowning. It's like hearing Jurassic World is disappointing.

I didn't believe that anyone truly supported Trump's candidacy, so I decided to ask my dad - an avid Fox News viewer - what he thought of Trump. He went on to talk genuinely about how he thought he'd make a great president. The world is a scary place.

When you hold one in your hand you'll realize that they're actually a bargain for what you get.
Also, if you didn't know, they're Absolute Edition sized, not just normal OHC sized.

Well, they are certainly more expensive than some of their other Library Editions, but I don't think I would call them overpriced. Not as good a deal, maybe?

When you hold one in your hand you'll realize that they're actually a bargain for what you get.
Also, if you didn't know, they're Absolute Edition sized, not just normal OHC sized.

Well, not quite. They're more oversized oversized hardcovers. Most Absolutes are still a good bit bigger.

You guys are definitely overstating the art...

Freeza pls

Mignola is unassailable as an artist. He's the very best at mood and a top 5 artist in composition. A total master of his craft

I think some of you guys may not be the best judges of comic art. Just saying.

Best judges of comic art:
1) me
2) rest of yall suckas :p

for fuck's sake I just told my current boss to kiss my ass knowing I had this job in the back ed pls

fine but only because Squirrel Girl taught me people deserve second chances

I think some of you guys may not be the best judges of comic art. Just saying.

I studied art for quite a while and I like to think I know a bit about it. Like Ed said, he's one of the best at composition and setting the tone. One of the intros in the LEs called Mignola an "artist's artist" and that's something I can definitely agree with.

Huh. Kind of shows yet again how Roy is a character that no one at DC seems to know what to do with. I like inventor Roy, because then the name "Arsenal" fits. I don't see, however, how "Native American" and "genius inventor" have to be mutually exclusive origins.

I think him being tied to Native American culture would have shown why he's good with a bow. This was early in the New 52 life cycle where everyone wanted to add a new twist to existing characters. Honestly I wished he would have gone with both.

I think him being tied to Native American culture would have shown why he's good with a bow. This was early in the New 52 life cycle where everyone wanted to add a new twist to existing characters. Honestly I wished he would have gone with both.

Don't see why he didn't. It literally doesn't make sense.

I studied art for quite a while and I like to think I know a bit about it. Like Ed said, he's one of the best at composition and setting the tone. One of the intros in the LEs called Mignola an "artist's artist" and that's something I can definitely agree with.
I don't think he should get that much credit for being able to set a mood/tone when it's always the same mood/tone. There's nothing wrong with being really good at a very specific thing, but at the same time, I think that if you're going to say someone is really upper-tier, they should have some range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom