• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

i know a thing or two about art as well, i like to doodle and i am very selective over what i allow to be my ipad's wallpaper.

I don't think he should get that much credit for being able to set a mood/tone when it's always the same mood/tone. There's nothing wrong with being really good at a very specific thing, but at the same time, I think that if you're going to say someone is really upper-tier, they should have some range.

I mean:
51M8YHT2JFL.jpg

If I'm not mistaken

Yep. I never noticed it before but when I found out Mignola was the concept artist behind Atlantis I recognized his style on the characters.

I loved that movie when it came out, which means I was fated to love Mignola and Whedon.

Now that I think about it, I would love for them to do a book together.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, not quite. They're more oversized oversized hardcovers. Most Absolutes are still a good bit bigger.

I attempted to take a photo with my phone's potato camera, but it turned out horribly. But basically I just measured them up against each other and while the Absolute Edition is about 1 centimeter taller than the Library Edition, the Library Edition is actually about 3 centimeters wider. So overall the Hellboy Library Edition is actually the bigger book.

I studied art for quite a while and I like to think I know a bit about it. Like Ed said, he's one of the best at composition and setting the tone. One of the intros in the LEs called Mignola an "artist's artist" and that's something I can definitely agree with.

As an accomplished artist myself, I concur.

I don't think he should get that much credit for being able to set a mood/tone when it's always the same mood/tone. There's nothing wrong with being really good at a very specific thing, but at the same time, I think that if you're going to say someone is really upper-tier, they should have some range.

In fairness, most artists can't set any kind of mood whatsoever. Just the fact that he can set a mood is something worthy of praise.

BigDes

I always find it weird that BPRD is still considered the spin off. I mean it was back in the day but it became that universe's main book a while back

I mean yeah, he mostly goes for kind of a melancholic sort of mood with the dark shadows draped everywhere but he's still good whenever he does do something more lighthearted like the short story about baby Hellboy not wanting to eat pancakes.

MartyStu

You know, I just noticed something: Gordon's new stache-less look purposefully mirrors Bruce's Zero year look.

Military haircut and all. I appreciate it a lot more now.

Also, it has the added benefit of making Jim look like Robocop when his helmet is off.

I attempted to take a photo with my phone's potato camera, but it turned out horribly. But basically I just measured them up against each other and while the Absolute Edition is about 1 centimeter taller than the Library Edition, the Library Edition is actually about 3 centimeters wider. So overall the Hellboy Library Edition is actually the bigger book.

Weird. Whenever I've seen photos of Absolutes it seems like they'd be a decent bit taller. I guess I've misjudged what I've seen.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sooo, 93% overall progress and 94% story progress.

Tomorrow will be dedicated to Riddler.

After this I really need to read A Death In The Family.

Just finished Daredevil Yellow after buying it in the Comixology sale. I wouldn't say it's my favourite Daredevil story but I really enjoyed the letters aspect of the story. The love triangle between Matt, Foggy and Karen is hilarious and also slightly heartbreaking. The show did a really good job at capturing their relationship - hopefully they find time to build on it in Season 2. Loeb and Sale were a real force back then.

Kipp

Anyone wanna play a fighting game on PC? None of my usual fighting game peoples are online and I really want to play a fighting game.

Zombine

Banned
Fantastic.

but yeah, best read in trade

One of those awesome times where low mindshare in the general public makes this a viable option. Nobody wakes up and goes "Today I'm going to hop on the Internet and spoil East of West anonymously."

Walking Dead reads way better in Book format, but I read it bi-weekly to protect myself from trolls. I end up having to re-read an arc multiple times now because I forget the more bland faces.

Now I miss The Take Out Bandit...

*sigh*

Why would anyone ever think this? who goes to their high school reunion and misses the bully?

I was actually here long enough to remember when we used to be bros! I know this isn't "real" and we're not actually "people" just "words" bunched together in "sentences" but it's legit sad to see someone I considered an actual friend say they miss having around someone who insulted what was, at the time, the most important thing my life.

Even from the pit of absolute defeat, dude still pulls out a W. Unbelievable.

Why would anyone ever think this? who goes to their high school reunion and misses the bully?

I was actually here long enough to remember when we used to be bros! I know this isn't "real" and we're not actually "people" just "words" bunched together in "sentences" but it's legit sad to see someone I considered an actual friend say they miss having around someone who insulted what was, at the time, the most important thing my life.

He was a good guy and hilarious. And he loved Kamandi, so I would take a bullet for him. ;)

He loved comics too....in his own acidic way.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Awesome, but it's best read in trade format. It's easy to lose track of the plot if you're reading it monthly. The first year of the book just came out in its own hardcover, which includes the first 15 issues.

Fantastic.

but yeah, best read in trade

Thanks!

I noticed that the first volume is only $5 on Amazon so I think that's where I'll start. In the event I don't like it, it'll only be $5 down the drain instead of $35 for the hardcover.

Zombine

Banned

I'm going to assume he insulted yo momma. The only problem is that you were supposed to follow it up with something about his momma but you blew it. :(

Kipp

...I always forget how much I dislike SFIV until I play it. It just seems so... floaty and mushy compared to Third Strike.

Kipp

Hey guys, video games are actually pretty fun.

I should do this "free time" thing more often.

"Good". Ok. Understood.

I think you took his schtick personally. In that case that sucks and I see your point. I just don't think he was in any way serious. I am open to the chance I could be wrong. He often insulted things I love too, but he loved other things I loved as much as they CAN be loved so that's the part I was drawn to. =)

I miss that GAF. With MAF, and Drinky, and demi. It was a bit more wild west but a lot more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom