• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading All Star Supes and After will read Lex Luthor MoS.

What could be a follow up to that?
Superman books?

Secret Identity is amazing
I also enjoy For All seasons, red son, brainiac trade, secret origin is pretty good too but it's like for all season and rebelling his early years.

I'm looking for noir stuff, after ingesting a bunch of Brubaker (Velvet, The Fade Out, Cap). Besides the more obvious stuff I should look at (Criminal, Fatale) I was looking at this miniseries Hit: 1955 by Bryan Carlson. Anyone read it? It's only $4 on CMX, but I think I would go with TPB.

Never read A Death in the Family. Arkham Knight made me want to read it. I bought it without even asking for reviews. Is it a good read?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
If it is the last thing I do, I will get Kipp to embrace the digital life.

I'd love it if I could get into digital. Cheaper and more convenient. For some reason reading on a tablet just doesn't do it for me though.
Though to be fair, at the moment reading from a physical book doesn't do it for me either. Lol. But I did have that success with Hellboy yesterday!

Messi

I'd love it if I could get into digital. Cheaper and more convenient. For some reason reading on a tablet just doesn't do it for me though.
Though to be fair, at the moment reading from a physical book doesn't do it for me either. Lol. But I did have that success with Hellboy yesterday!

I find that the libray edition versions of hellboy are just too big for me to enjoy the reading experience. I think Image two volume hardcovers are the perfect size.

Batgirl (of Burnside) vol 1: That was actually decent. The first couple of issues made it seem like a "let's put in references and problems the 17-25 target reader demographic might identify with" book. But with Dinah being written as the straight man and the whole arc being an "old me" vs "new me" reconciliation thing, it turned out ok. And I really like the art.

I'm looking for noir stuff, after ingesting a bunch of Brubaker (Velvet, The Fade Out, Cap). Besides the more obvious stuff I should look at (Criminal, Fatale) I was looking at this miniseries Hit: 1955 by Bryan Carlson. Anyone read it? It's only $4 on CMX, but I think I would go with TPB.

Parker! each volume is a complete standalone story and all of them are great.

fGmUOt6.jpg

https://www.comixology.com/Richard-Starks-Parker-Vol-1-The-Hunter/digital-comic/15790

Snyder and Lemire are doing a book together? I didnt know that

Also, did anyone read The Divine? I've been hearing good things

Edit: I'm getting some major Del Mundo vibes from those faces in Sharaz De.

Going through the book, you can see how his artwork influenced others. Walt Simonson wrote the intro to the book and the more I read of the book, the more I see how Simonson was influenced by Toppi

Man, look at this "The Revenant" trailer! Directed/shot by the guys who just won Best Picture/Director/Screenplay/Cinematography for Birdman. Big thrilling adventure film. Manly beard, big acting. This is Leo's year, I can feel it.

looks amazing. but when are del toro/cuaron/inarratu going to actually put mexicans in their hollywood movies?

Messi

Gotta die first

Denzel didn't have to die before they gave him one. Even though he deserved one for a better film than training day.

Edit: I realize that reads like I am shitting on Training Day. I am not. Its a good movie that he gives a great preformance in. But he has been a better lead in better movies.

Zombine

Banned
Denzel didn't have to die before they gave him one. Even though he deserved one for a better film than training day.

Edit: I realize that reads like I am shitting on Training Day. I am not. Its a good movie that he gives a great preformance in. But he has been a better lead in better movies.

If you take a look at what he's been up to lately one might be able to argue that he's already dead.

More 80s comic stuff that didn't pan out, a house ad for Frank Miller doing a Dr. Strange run with Roger Stern

tumblr_mpphc1EzFg1sx8a8ao1_1280.jpg

On sale every 60 days! Bimonthlies, do they even do those anymore? On purpose, I mean.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
More 80s comic stuff that didn't pan out, a house ad for Frank Miller doing a Dr. Strange run with Roger Stern

Hah. Saw this and was like "Frank Miller drew Dr. Strange!?" and got excited and googled it only to find that bizarrely, he never ended up doing the art for Dr. Strange.

Hah. Saw this and was like "Frank Miller drew Dr. Strange!?" and got excited and googled it only to find that bizarrely, he never ended up doing the art for Dr. Strange.

Apparently, he was wrapped up in working on a James Bond adaptation, so they got the also-awesome Marshal Rogers to do a year's worth of issues instead, to stay ahead of deadlines. The James Bond thing didn't happen(Howard Chaykin ended up doing that), but by the time space on Strange opened up again, Miller was dead set on writing/drawing Daredevil, so that never happen.

Could have been dope, but I wouldn't trade Miller's DD for anything. And its not like Stern got the bad end of the deal, since Strange ended up with a pretty killer row of artists like Marshall Rogers, Michael Golden, Paul Smith, Mike Mignola on that Strange/Doom graphic novel, etc.

Is that New 52 Supergirl series any good? It was one of the rare New 52 books to hold on to a creative team for a long time, which I'm normally attracted to, but considering some of the crap editorial was up to at that time, it might be bad that creators were playing ball with them.

Batgirl (of Burnside) vol 1: That was actually decent. The first couple of issues made it seem like a "let's put in references and problems the 17-25 target reader demographic might identify with" book. But with Dinah being written as the straight man and the whole arc being an "old me" vs "new me" reconciliation thing, it turned out ok. And I really like the art.

Parker! each volume is a complete standalone story and all of them are great.

fGmUOt6.jpg

https://www.comixology.com/Richard-Starks-Parker-Vol-1-The-Hunter/digital-comic/15790

Putting it on the list, thanks.

Also, what's up with Fatale never getting a second deluxe HC? It's been a year since it finished. Pretty lame.

Messi

Is that New 52 Supergirl series any good? It was one of the rare New 52 books to hold on to a creative team for a long time, which I'm normally attracted to, but considering some of the crap editorial was up to at that time, it might be bad that creators were playing ball with them.

I read the final arc with lupachino and I thought the story was fun and it was a great starting point the art was incredible. It felt like the start of something so it came out of left field that it was the end of the series. I think it came out in trade just this past week. You should check it out.

Supergirl%2B038%2B%25282015%2529%2B%2528Digital-Empire%2529-012.jpg

Never read A Death in the Family. Arkham Knight made me want to read it. I bought it without even asking for reviews. Is it a good read?

awk :p

It's pretty forgettable, they should do a modern retelling of how he died. The first part is alright, it's what happens after Jason dies that's terrible.

Alright just used the PENNY deal to get marvel unlimited. Starting out with reading age of ultron collection. Would like to move unto civil war after

Might check out taskmaster too

Edit: lol I never knew these comics could be so violent

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finally got around to finish JLA/Avengers. And my god, what a party that last issue was. One big insane superbattle with everyone ever in every costume ever involved.
Black Panther and Batman teaming up
offpanel :(
, Superman wielding Caps shield and Mjjolnier, booth Captain Marvels on one Panel.

Man, so great, had a big grin on my face the whole issue

Messi

Alright just used the PENNY deal to get marvel unlimited. Starting out with reading age of ultron collection. Would like to move unto civil war after

Oh comics can be incredibly violent at times. Especially when you step outside of Marvel and DC

JC_anime_leaves_in_wind.gif

dont do it! age of ultron is terrible! And I say that as a fan of Bendis's work. Civil War is meh to bad Mark Millar work.

Read Mark Millar's Ultimates, Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man or Daredevil and Jonathan Hickman's Fantastic Four

Like Messi said, the last arc was pretty solid. I didn't read anything else but I thought that was good.

Yeah they can get brutal, Marvel and DC are generally pretty tame in comparison to some of the other publishers.

You're probably better off skipping AoU honestly, it was pretty crummy. I don't like Civil War either. In general a lot of Marvel event books are not very good, you'd probably be better off just reading the regular ongoings and all that.

And I grabbed the first BPRD Plague of Frogs book today. Excited to start it!

The movies are causing this. You can't fight it.
I honestly haven't even seen the age of ultron movie haha. This is really my first venture into comics. This is all pretty new to me. So can't say I really know good from bad yet haha. But I'll say I'm enjoying the experience so far

Messi

I honestly haven't even seen the age of ultron movie haha. This is really my first venture into comics. This is all pretty new to me. So can't say I really know good from bad yet haha. But I'll say I'm enjoying the experience so far

Well we can give you some books to read so that you can get a good idea of what good Marvel looks like.

Mark Waids Daredevil is really good for example. If you want some Spider-Man Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man is really good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I've been going through Sandman since it was on sale, and I have to say it didn't really click with me at first. I just got to #13, where he meets up with that guy every 100 years in a bar. Best one so far. I don't know if it's a one-shot or if he will come back, but that's the kind of stuff I love.

It sort of depresses me that Age of Ultron and Civil War sell really well as collections to this day. Age of Ultron outsold Rage of Ultron in may and Civil War was 5th biggest selling collection in May. Neither of those are very good entries for people curious into comics

BrightLightLava, he comes back.

BTW I've been raving about Sergio Toppi. He would have been absolutely amazing for an issue of Sandman.

Dude's already moved towards AoU and CW. That and deadpool/guardiansofthebendis are what popularity gets ya. Nay, sez i. Give him the hidden comigaf jewel right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom