• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. New guy. Nextwave.
759838-nextwave_wallpaper_02_by_karmadecoy.jpg

Nextwave.

also anyone tells you to read a bendis comic that aint daredevil/spiderman/alias? Shoot them in the dick.

Bii

It sort of depresses me that Age of Ultron and Civil War sell really well as collections to this day. Age of Ultron outsold Rage of Ultron in may and Civil War was 5th biggest selling collection in May. Neither of those are very good entries for people curious into comics

BrightLightLava, he comes back.

BTW I've been raving about Sergio Toppi. He would have been absolutely amazing for an issue of Sandman.

Apparently, a lot of "mainstream" comic readers enjoy the shit out of Civil War. One of my friends who attended SDCC for the first time this year wanted to get into comics. So he asked one of the booth vendors to recommend him some reading material. What did he get? Civil War 1-7 and Secret Wars 1-4 (2015-). :/

I didn't know were to start so I figured why not get some back story, or general knowledge to these movies. Really just the name recognition

Owzers

Marvel Unlimited Priorities List:

1) Nextwave Agents of Hate
2) Anything else that isn't Age of Ultron
3) Age of Ultron.

Bii

Marvel Unlimited Priorities List:

1) Nextwave Agents of Hate
2) Anything else that isn't Age of Ultron
3) Age of Ultron.

Dayum

I still haven't read Age of Ultron despite having read most of Marvel's events in the past decade.

Speaking of events, I'm reading 52 (on vol 3)...when does it get better? It's all over the place.

You're doing it Rave...you're really doing it.
Thanks b. Really loving this stuff so far so I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
I didn't know were to start so I figured why not get some back story, or general knowledge to these movies. Really just the name recognition

I get that dude. Getting into comics can be difficult if you don't know where to start and the names make them seem quality since they got movie titles tied to them.

Owzers

the best "if Avengers were a movie" book to read is Mark Millar's first Ultimates run, about 24 issues. It's where the Marvel Universe got Samuel L Jackson Fury from but the portrayals of the avengers are a bit different BUT it's a great action story. This is not to be confused with "Ultimate Comics: Ultimates", Millar's relaunch of the series that was not as good.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member

That's smart. There is some really great stuff out that that only benefits from going in with a little background knowledge. Secret Wars 2015 and Grant Morrison's Batman are both fascinating, but without context a lot of the meat of the story is lost.

I'd say google "Best _____ comics" for whoever your interested in and start from there.

Zombine

Banned
New comic readers LOOOOOVE events. It's something that is completely natural. Right before I got back into comics, I bought Infinity Gauntlet because I was under the assumption that the Avengers would lead to that someday, and I wanted to be ahead of the game.

Now I obsess over shit like Steve Gerber and Whatever. It just takes time to settle in, and unfortunately these shit events like AOA are what get you comfortable.

Messi

The main Secret Wars story feels like it would be really pointless without reading Hickmans Avengers and New Avengers. Such an odd event really. Its not all that newcomer friendly.

Dayum

I still haven't read Age of Ultron despite having read most of Marvel's events in the past decade.

Speaking of events, I'm reading 52 (on vol 3)...when does it get better? It's all over the place.

All over the place in what sense? In that it's essentially several unrelated stories they keep switching between (It's basically that way until each resolves) or in quality? If it's quality then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Zombine

Banned
I think my greatest triumps as a comic noob was when I opted out of getting the first issue of Gambit and picked up Hawkeye #1 on release day instead.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The main Secret Wars story feels like it would be really pointless without reading Hickmans Avengers and New Avengers. Such an odd event really. Its not all that newcomer friendly.
I feel exact the different. Have read one Issue of New Avengers and I enjoy the hell out of Secret Wars.

I think my greatest triumps as a comic noob was when I opted out of getting the first issue of Gambit and picked up Hawkeye #1 on release day instead.

But think of all the money you would have saved!

Seriously though, Hawkeye was what got me back into comics after I took a break because of Secret Invasion. Hawkeye and Saga, really. I'm still quite sad that Hawkeye is over now. We need that Comic Book Club!

Bii

All over the place in what sense? In that it's essentially several unrelated stories they keep switching between (It's basically that way until each resolves) or in quality? If it's quality then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Both. I liked Booster Gold's part and everyone else's bore me. I want more Booster Gold.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Imagine what its like after reading all of those issues though. Shit is POPPING OFF.
I cant wait for all Avengers OHC to be released. Will marathon through all 100 Issues on one Weekend.

Maybe ive not even finished SW until then, my Comicshop still refuses to send me my Issues.

Messi

I cant wait for all Avengers OHC to be released. Will marathon through all 100 Issues on one Weekend.

Maybe ive not even finished SW until then, my Comicshop still refuses to send me my Issues.

The second volume of Avengers doesnt ship until november and then vol 3 ? Marvel really should have gotten this stuff out quicker.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The second volume of Avengers doesnt ship until november and then vol 3 ? Marvel really should have gotten this stuff out quicker.
I think with the next Hachette Catalouge we should know dates for the complete run, which should be in the timeframe up to 04/16
I am curious how they will handle Time Runs Out.

Aren't all the first releases of Hickman Avengers hardcover anyway? They're just not oversized.

Time Runs Out will be two OHCs, I'd say. How are they doing Infinity? That's the real question. They surely don't want people to buy the omnibus!

Messi

Aren't all the first releases of Hickman Avengers hardcover anyway? They're just not oversized.

Time Runs Out will be two OHCs, I'd say. How are they doing Infinity? That's the real question. They surely don't want people to buy the omnibus!

Yeah they are hardcover, but the new hardcovers are 12 issues and oversized. I assumed they would skip infinity and expect people to buy the omni. Its a complete clusterfuck. They should just put infinity in the new hardcovers.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yeah they are hardcover, but the new hardcovers are 12 issues and oversized. I assumed they would skip infinity and expect people to buy the omni. Its a complete clusterfuck. They should just put infinity in the new hardcovers.
It really makes no sense now. And I kinda hate that I really have to buy the Infinity OHC for 6 Issues now...

Are they going to bother repackaging Time Runs Out? That shit is old news at this point.

It really makes no sense now. And I kinda hate that I really have to buy the Infinity OHC for 6 Issues now...

They really are messing up the OHC Avengers/New Avengers collections. What a mess. Just awful. I hope that shit is fixed for the omnis. I'd hate to collect it all in tpbs

Cheska

We saw Ant-Man yesterday, enjoyed it greatly! One of the people with us has very little comic knowledge, and she said she enjoyed it more than most of the Marvel films she watched. It definitely wasn't my favorite, and I personally didn't enjoy it more than AoU, but it was an awesome flick, and definitely shows how the Marvel cinematic universe continues to shine.

I also finally got my Batgirl premium format!! She's gorgeous :D

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg

We saw Ant-Man yesterday, enjoyed it greatly! One of the people with us has very little comic knowledge, and she said she enjoyed it more than most of the Marvel films she watched. It definitely wasn't my favorite, and I personally didn't enjoy it more than AoU, but it was an awesome flick, and definitely shows how the Marvel cinematic universe continues to shine.

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg

:eek:
it looks amazing!

Messi

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK I am so jelly :(

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, what a shit, seems like I wont meet my internet friend this summer -.-
Stuff is starting to become really souls crushing, even when I can see why she cant right now.
It hurts nonethless... :/

And no, dont worry, I am not starting with my random vague shitposts again, I just have to tell thos someone.

That Batgirl is sweet!

Is that New 52 Supergirl series any good? It was one of the rare New 52 books to hold on to a creative team for a long time, which I'm normally attracted to, but considering some of the crap editorial was up to at that time, it might be bad that creators were playing ball with them.

Its ok. It started off ok and some things I liked. The crossovers were whatever and made no sense on thier own and i didnt read the other parts but those are probably seperated. The Beginning was ok, tje Cyborg Superman story was ok..I dont remember the in between. The Red Lantern stuff was ok...and the last story was good.

TheStig88

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg
Oh! She sure is gorgeous! Glad to see this PF turned out so well.

That Batgirl is sweet!

Its ok. It started off ok and some things I liked. The crossovers were whatever and made no sense on thier own and i didnt read the other parts but those are probably seperated. The Beginning was ok, tje Cyborg story was ok..I dont remember the in between. The Red Lantern stuff was ok...and the last story was good.

What I'm getting from this is "OK".

Angsty Kara bothers me sometimes.
It might be me wanting more out of it lol
Nightwing was sort of that way for me and so was Batgirl.
I'll go try to reread them and see.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i just need to eat a bunch of dayquil and go see Ant-Man

can't let this keep me down

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg

dope af

XFlICEOl.jpg

c9Kq8Ewl.jpg

Gah, why am I thinking y'all will eventually get me to bite on figures?

Vibranium

Banned
I'm not into comics statues but I am into comics-themed shirts. Ordered a HYDRA one online, it should be coming soon. I may hate how badly Red Skull was nerfed from true nazism in the Cap movie but modern Hydra is cool, hail Hydra.

Those Aja Iron Fist designs are still their best look in the comics too.

Its ok. It started off ok and some things I liked. The crossovers were whatever and made no sense on thier own and i didnt read the other parts but those are probably seperated. The Beginning was ok, tje Cyborg Superman story was ok..I dont remember the in between. The Red Lantern stuff was ok...and the last story was good.

Yeah, I really did like the Red Lantern / Supergirl crossover. Fun story.

Oh! She sure is gorgeous! Glad to see this PF turned out so well.

Yeah, I'm usually leery of Premium Formats because sometimes I've seen pics from people who get one in-hand and the face will have turned out awful. Sideshow seems to be pretty hit-or-miss on faces.

Gah, why am I thinking y'all will eventually get me to bite on figures?

Because you will. You can only hold out for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom