• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

It's deeply stupid, but it uses that stupidity to it's advantage. If you're in the mood for a buddy cop comic featuring two of the DCU's biggest losers fighting killer mimes and commenting on how their lives eerily resembles a video game, go for it.

Art is all over the place, tho.

Anyway, saw Antman. Enjoyed it, but still had some issues. Will post more when I get back to my laptop.

That doesn't sound totally terrible.

Messi

I think Messi needs a happier comic like Usagi Yojimbo.

tmoore_bcyearbook13.jpg

?

To be fair, by the end the choice of character to cheer for was from Millia, Zato, or Faust.

Millia's cool but I just think her whole gameplan is stale. Land a sweep or j.H then throw a disc and do an overhead/low and repeat till death. I think Zato's oki and general gameflow is a lot more interesting and fun to watch.

Millia's cool but I just think her whole gameplan is stale. Land a sweep or j.H then throw a disc and do an overhead/low and repeat till death. I think Zato's oki and general gameflow is a lot more interesting and fun to watch.

Fair enough. I'll never forget the nonsense that was FB drill, though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wowwww Ant-Man was incredible

up there with TWS, GotG and Iron Man. just a pleasure to watch, start to finish. best third act in the franchise, with one of the most likable casts.

those two post credits tho.... god damn.

up there with TWS, GotG and Iron Man. just a pleasure to watch, start to finish. best third act in the franchise, with one of the most likable casts.

Glad you liked it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Dat Wasp costume reveal

Dammit, there was a second post-credit scene?

Anyway, back on my laptop, so Ant-Man thoughts: It was okay. I enjoyed it, but sometimes they didn't do a very good job of switching tones. Didn't help that Yellowjacket was actually threatening enough to make his dialogue stick a little, under normal circumstances (i.e. those not containing giant
Thomas the Tank Engines or ants,
so the sudden shifts were made worse than they might have otherwise.

2 major structural changes I would've made to improve it:

1) Tone down the serious bits. Movie was at its best when it was doing straight-up action comedy stuff, including extra drama just watered it down. Like, they should've gone full ham for Yellowjacket rather than even trying to make him menacing.

2) Axe Paul Rudd, and his character. Don't get me wrong, he delivers a solid performance, but I can't help but feel like the movie would have worked better with Hank and Hope.

Still, when the movie got into its groove, it was AMAZING. I laughed a ton, was a very good time. Still doesn't touch Winter Soldier, though, which remains the top MCU movie to date (IMO, duh).

I love quotes from the modern classic Interstellar. Where did they think up that line?

I completely forgot Interstellar was a thing that existed.

GOTG had that DnA run. Was there any acclaimed Ant-Man run in the comics?

Current run is meant to be quite good. I have only read #1 and the Annual but I liked them well enough.

My favourite Hank Pym run is probably Avengers Academy, where he acts as the kids' main mentor.

I am really enjoying the current spencer run.

I dropped it after issue #3. Speaking of which, I think I'm also going to be dumping American Vamp soon. It's just not as interesting anymore, and it seems even DC thinks so, as the series has been relegated to TPB releases. No more of those glorious hardcovers.

Owzers

Hmmm what a coincidence, i only remembered it existed today because it was on slickdeals as part of a $5 blu ray sale and i debated getting it and decided " no, stop buying things you don't like just because they are on sale."

Irredeemable was good, but I think the complete collection is long out of print.

Current run is meant to be quite good. I have only read #1 and the Annual but I liked them well enough.

My favourite Hank Pym run is probably Avengers Academy, where he acts as the kids' main mentor.

I am really enjoying the current spencer run.

Irredeemable and Avengers Academy are both on MU. Will add them to my to-read list.

Will definitely read the ongoing. Read #1, it was interesting. #2 comes out next week I think.

Maybe get rid of Lang and just make Paul Rudd Hank, but Paul Rudd was one of the best parts of the film.

Mostly I'm just wishing the father daughter problems Hank and Hope had were resolved better; really, having her suit up instead of Lang feels like it would have been a lot more narratively satisfying.

I agree that Rudd delivered a dynamite performance. Maybe make him Yellowjacket?

headshot95

Neo Member
Before a mod comes in here. Kot sent the PDF to people if they wanted to read it and if they promised to buy a copy.

Here is the email that comes with the link.

Dear humans.

If you're getting this email, it's because you have been carefully chosen by a cabal of...

...ah, fuck it. Done enough creative writing for this week already.

Wolf #1 is coming out soon -- in about a month, to be exact. But I decided to do this early, because I want to try something new and see what happens.

Wolf is about a suicidal paranormal investigator who meets a young girl who might just be the key to the impending apocalypse. It's about vampires, werewolves, concrete, desert, blood and magic. It's also about California, Los Angeles, and the ways we choose to define ourselves. It's also, perhaps most importantly, about myths.

Wolf #1, ready for your prying eyes, in all of its sixty-four page glory: (link)

If you want to immediately tweet about your amazing experience reading Wolf #1, me and the exquisite team of collaborators (Matt Taylor! Tom Muller! Lee Loughridge! Clayton Cowles! Total sausage fest!) will be happy with you doing so -- the final order cutoff is coming next week, and we want all the buzz we can get. As far as reviews go -- there is a strict review embargo until July 20th, so: if you fancy, talk about Wolf on twitter anytime (without spoilers!), but post long-form reviews only starting July 20! And I want those juicy, excited, near-breathless early reviews. I want 'em. If this comic sings as much as I believe it sings, they will come.

But -- you be the judge.

Much love,

Ales Kot

Here is the email that comes with the link.

Dear humans.

If you're getting this email, it's because you have been carefully chosen by a cabal of...

...ah, fuck it. Done enough creative writing for this week already.

Wolf #1 is coming out soon -- in about a month, to be exact. But I decided to do this early, because I want to try something new and see what happens.

Wolf is about a suicidal paranormal investigator who meets a young girl who might just be the key to the impending apocalypse. It's about vampires, werewolves, concrete, desert, blood and magic. It's also about California, Los Angeles, and the ways we choose to define ourselves. It's also, perhaps most importantly, about myths.

Wolf #1, ready for your prying eyes, in all of its sixty-four page glory: (link)

If you want to immediately tweet about your amazing experience reading Wolf #1, me and the exquisite team of collaborators (Matt Taylor! Tom Muller! Lee Loughridge! Clayton Cowles! Total sausage fest!) will be happy with you doing so -- the final order cutoff is coming next week, and we want all the buzz we can get. As far as reviews go -- there is a strict review embargo until July 20th, so: if you fancy, talk about Wolf on twitter anytime (without spoilers!), but post long-form reviews only starting July 20! And I want those juicy, excited, near-breathless early reviews. I want 'em. If this comic sings as much as I believe it sings, they will come.

But -- you be the judge.

Much love,

Ales Kot

Like I said I have four copies of it pre-order.

fertygo

Ales Kot seem like the most poetic person on planet

I'd imagine simple tea conservation with him will include human evolutionary and shit

I'd imagine simple tea conservation with him will include human evolutionary and shit
Hmm you said Ales Kot but I think you meant Neil Gaiman

Also, I'm def reading Wolf. One way or another. Will also be throwing money at the creative team by actually buying it

Edit: Kots writing outside of his comics work is actually also really great to read. I suggest subscribing to his newsletter to receive a very nicely written email every once in a while

Neil Gaiman is the guy I would love to just sit down and talk to. The funny thing about Kot is he is still young. He isn't even 30.

Hmm you said Ales Kot but I think you meant Neil Gaiman

Also, I'm def reading Wolf. One way or another. Will also be throwing money at the creative team by actually buying it

Edit: Kots writing outside of his comics work is actually also really great to read. I suggest subscribing to his newsletter to receive a very nicely written email every once in a while

http://aleskot.tumblr.com/

Is a good read.

Ales seems to know some people that I know IRL. I wonder if he lives in Hollywood?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Glad you liked it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Dat Wasp costume reveal

some of the best moments in the movie were based around that:

HOLY SHIT MICROVERSE. love love love that they even mention that shit

the flash back with Janet as Wasp was amazing, and between that and the post credits suit reveal (everyone in my theater basically gasped) it becomes clear that we are in dire need of a bad ass female super hero. "It's about damn time." was right so on many levels.

love the design of Falcon's new suit and the Wasp's prototype. i hope they stick to them going forward, as they're so good.

Dammit, there was a second post-credit scene?

Anyway, back on my laptop, so Ant-Man thoughts: It was okay. I enjoyed it, but sometimes they didn't do a very good job of switching tones. Didn't help that Yellowjacket was actually threatening enough to make his dialogue stick a little, under normal circumstances (i.e. those not containing giant
Thomas the Tank Engines or ants,
so the sudden shifts were made worse than they might have otherwise.

2 major structural changes I would've made to improve it:

1) Tone down the serious bits. Movie was at its best when it was doing straight-up action comedy stuff, including extra drama just watered it down. Like, they should've gone full ham for Yellowjacket rather than even trying to make him menacing.

2) Axe Paul Rudd, and his character. Don't get me wrong, he delivers a solid performance, but I can't help but feel like the movie would have worked better with Hank and Hope.

Still, when the movie got into its groove, it was AMAZING. I laughed a ton, was a very good time. Still doesn't touch Winter Soldier, though, which remains the top MCU movie to date (IMO, duh).

i actually disagree on both points. Rudd was perfect as Scott, and i loved the tone switches throughout the movie. the drama with Hank and his daughter, parallels to Scott and his. it was all spot on for me.

the second post credits scene was bananas:

it opens in a warehouse. immediately the tone is more Russo than Wright. Winter Soldier has his mechanical arm trapped in a wench-like machine. Sam and Steve are discussing where they can turn for help, and mention that they don't think "the accord" will let Tony aid them. Sam turns to Steve and says, "... I think I know a guy."

Mostly I'm just wishing the father daughter problems Hank and Hope had were resolved better; really, having her suit up instead of Lang feels like it would have been a lot more narratively satisfying.

I agree that Rudd delivered a dynamite performance. Maybe make him Yellowjacket?

I wouldn't argue that isn't true, but that's mostly to do with how the whole plot was designed in the first place. I'm still unsure using Lang was a great idea.

Neil Gaiman is the guy I would love to just sit down and talk to. The funny thing about Kot is he is still young. He isn't even 30.

http://aleskot.tumblr.com/

Is a good read.

Ales seems to know some people that I know IRL. I wonder if he lives in Hollywood?
Yup. I follow him on tumblr. Some creators are better follows on tumblr.

If I remember correctly, there was a wolf interview he did in which he talked about moving to LA so probably.

If you see him, ask him what his fave anime is. Tyrant Rave is dying to know

To update my post from earlier finished age of ultron, can't say it was exactly what i expected in the middle parts. Comics are a new experience to me so I enjoyed it, going through the discover tab in the app. Gonna read a few in this section then really try and narrow down characters I want to follow. Thanks for the help earlier guys

Yup. I follow him on tumblr. Some creators are better follows on tumblr.

If I remember correctly, there was a wolf interview he did in which he talked about moving to LA so probably.

If you see him, ask him what his fave anime is. Tyrant Rave is dying to know

I'm going to ask him at the meltdown comics signing of Wolf.

I've never been to an artist signing. Do you usually have to pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom