• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To update my post from earlier finished age of ultron, can't say it was exactly what i expected in the middle parts. Comics are a new experience to me so I enjoyed it, going through the discover tab in the app. Gonna read a few in this section then really try and narrow down characters I want to follow. Thanks for the help earlier guys

GOOD NEWS: unless you decide to tackle stuff like Secret Invasion or One More Day, you've already read some of the worst that Marvel has to offer. Can't go anywhere but up.

Also pro-tip: don't follow characters. Follow writers.

What's currently happening in UMVC3 at EVO:

modok.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Only in America will people root for a Millia player lol. I was rooting for Hasegawa or FAB but Ogawa's a legend so I'm happy to see him get the win.

Did you end up reading any more Hellboy btw?

Ogawa totally deserved it, so I'm more than happy that he got the win as well. He's insanely good.

And no, today wasn't really my day. Couldn't get any comics reading in.

Is the second Hellboy movie an original script or is it based off an arc in the comics?

Its original. They decided to move away from the Nazi occult roots and more towards forklore, creatures that have been pushed out of modern society. Kind of thing Hellboy could relate to lookin' like a big demon with a giant Hand of Doom.

Its original. They decided to move away from the Nazi occult roots and more towards forklore, creatures that have been pushed out of modern society. Kind of thing Hellboy could relate to lookin' like a big demon with a giant Hand of Doom.

Do the comics try anything similar later in the run? (I've only read the first 3 trades or so).

Messi

I can't find a release date for Loki Vol 3, has it been solicited?

You just don't seem to be as gung-ho about Harley as you used to be. Are you more interested in checking out other books these days?

My pull list is 60-70 deep. I just don't talk about 90% of what I read.

Yes, eventually they do. That was actually part of the reason they went the forklore route, since Mignola's comics were starting to evolve that way as well.

That's good. My only problem with the first three trades was that it was starting to feel a bit procedural. I should get to ordering those library editions. Maybe this week.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hah. I wish I could have a DC fighter that actually had good animation :(.

Ugh. Yeah, I wanted to like Injustice so badly, but the animation was pretty terrible. And I really really don't like MK-style games.

Owzers

Movies bore me. I lose interest very quickly and just don't find it an enjoyable experience. Last movie I watched was Short term 12 and that movie wrecked me.

A supervisor (Brie Larson) at a group home for at-risk teens connects with a new resident (Kaitlyn Dever) while facing a personal crisis of her own."

Short Term 12 sounds like one of those movies with feelings, those are the ones that get me tired of movies even if they are good.

Ugh. Yeah, I wanted to like Injustice so badly, but the animation was pretty terrible. And I really really don't like MK-style games.

I have a much easier time playing MK-style games than Japanese fighters.I don't really mind this alleged lack of animation. Though I desperately want to be good at Street Fighter V when it launches.

Did they announce the next character yet? Plz be Karin, Plz be Karin....

Because no one cares. I tried before and got no responses so I stopped.

People have me down as one thing and that is fine. But I read so much more. It's my own fault to be fair.

I enjoy reading impressions people post even when I don't reply to them. And most of my impressions disappear into the void as well, but sometimes people reply.

Fighting games with a dedicated block button are a scourge on humanity.

Also Netherrealm Studios is tied with Bethsoft for worst character models in the Ax3 industry.

Also² SF has too many god damned buttons. Should be fast and strong punches and kicks and that's it. SNK had it right. #bahhumbug

One thing I'm noticing here about Usagi Yojimbo is that in some ways, the art reminds me of Berserk. Not in detail, because Miura is just insane with the amount of detail he squeezes in, but Miura and Sakai both take the time to make maximum use of the space in each panel, leaving very little (if any) empty space.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fighting games with a dedicated block button are a scourge on humanity.

Also Netherrealm Studios is tied with Bethsoft for worst character models in the Ax3 industry.

Also² SF has too many god damned buttons. Should be fast and strong punches and kicks and that's it. SNK had it right. #bahhumbug

SNK made great games, but SF is the truth foreverrrrr

One thing I'm noticing here about Usagi Yojimbo is that in some ways, the art reminds me of Berserk. Not in detail, because Miura is just insane with the amount of detail he squeezes in, but Miura and Sakai both take the time to make maximum use of the space in each panel, leaving very little (if any) empty space.

One of the reasons why he's one of the GOAT comic storytellers

Owzers

Howard the Duck #4 was okay, it still seems kinda flaky but i love Quinones due to Bloodspell. Each issue of Howard will have a panel or two that shows Chip's writing potential but the issues never really come together.

then some random reading, i finished Killjoys and yeah, that's a weird KOTOR MMO quality book. I started reading a few more Buffy Season 10 issues on the wonderful dark horse app that is totally still a thing and amazing. Issues 6 and half of 7 were also in the "okay" range, I haven't been enthralled with Buffy comics since the beginning half of Season 8, so i'm past the point where i get disappointed if they don't wow me. It's the premise of Buffy that's broken, just as in the comic's story the rules of magic are being rewritten, there's a stalled development to the characters.

Is Brock wrasslin' yet? Nope....hmmmmmmm.

Definitely. And I think that helps a lot with world building, making the characters and world seem like a single unit. Similar to Top 10 or The Incal. When the paneIs are a bit sparse, I find that it makes me feel that the world is pushed into the background and the characters are pushed to the front (e.g., Hickman's FF, Alias). Different styles of story telling but I prefer the first if I was forced to pick between the two.

I haven't watched a non Tron Legacy movie in months.

You didn't see Age of Ultron, Messi? Just wondering.

I barely watched anything this year: Avengers, Mad Max, Chris Pratt's Raptor Squad and the first post-Buu DBZ movie, that's it. No TV either apart from the odd bit of wrestling and one episode each of Game of Thrones and Daredevil. My mam called over for dinner yesterday and she lost her shit when I told her I wasn't going to see Ant-Man ("But you always go! You love all the marvellous things!").

Even worse, no books at all. I just bought an Eberron novel and Armada for comfort reading. I know GAF hates Ready Player One, but I was in a really low place when I discovered it and it gave me a bit of happiness, so I'm willing to try the author's new book even if he is a dork.

I think I am the most depressed I have been for awhile, you guys. I feel very low. I'm groggy a lot of the time these days, and I'm disappointed I didn't get the job at the cinema full time, but it is what it is. I don't feel like hurting myself or anything, I just have no inclination to go anywhere or do anything. I pretty much only go outside for groceries or to see the doctor these days. It's nobody fault except my own. I hate to say it, but usually I see a thread about someone having trouble or lacking a skill on GAF and it lights a fire under my ass, like I have cooked proper meals every day since the "I don't like home cooked food" thread. I remember JC said to make a list of things to be hopeful for, so:

10 Things I Am Excited About:
- Argent Tournament expansion for Hearthstone
- NXT Takeover: Brooklyn, just to see the NXT roster on their own show in a big arena
- Rat Queens OHC
- Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl
- CHVRCHES' second album
- Doctor Who: Four Doctors comic crossover
- Doctor Who: Classic Doctors vs. New Monsters audio dramas
- Getting to play Arkham Knight in glorious 60FPS when it gets fixed (shut up, let me dream)
- Taking the nephews to Star Wars at Christmas, going with my brother who took me to the re-release of A New Hope in '97
- And as sad as it sounds at my age, my birthday, just because I get to see the fam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom